• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Tell me about your eye contact NF's?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I analyze people's faces so I can see their reactions and stuff, but I can't say I catch their gaze very often. That's what I'm considering eye contact.

And in a group I'm scanning everyone so fast there is no way I can have eye contact with any one.

Rim

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I analyze people's faces so I can see their reactions and stuff, but I can't say I catch their gaze very often. That's what I'm considering eye contact.

And in a group I'm scanning everyone so fast there is no way I can have eye contact with any one.

Same here...I sometimes make people uncomfortable thou because I rarely break eye contact in conversation if I'm not talking. A few years ago I could barely make eye contact ^^ now I'm learning to look away sometimes...but honestly scanning people's faces and seeing how they truly feel behind the mask of words...is fascinating.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I tend to take quite strong eye contact with the people I'm talking to but I don't stare at people when talking to them. I feel quite uncomfortable with people who stare at me when talking to me or who don't take an eye contact at all. Eye contact is needed to "feel" the people and to get an impression about them and an eye contact is needed when a common ground is agreed on (if there is such thing with some people).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eye contact is one of those things that I hardly notice, and when I do then I get uncomfortable and feel like I've forgotten how to use it correctly. Or maybe I just notice it when I get uncomfortable. Chicken or the egg.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
My ENFP daughter stares intently when she's talking; I don't think she's conscious of it. I feel I have to make eye contact with people who want to make eye contact with me because it's polite, but I have a hard time thinking about what I'm saying when I have to make eye contact as well. Plus, I think some people who need to make lots of eye contact sense that I'm uncomfortable, but they probably don't understand why. Then I look away while I'm thinking what to say and I wonder if they think I'm being dishonest or hiding something. Such conversations can be exhausting. Although I love talking to my daughter, I get such a headache sometimes!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to avoid eye contact, at least more than a glance. For some reason, people either think I'm being judgemental when I'm not, or I attract sociopaths. I don't get it, but there it is.
However, I WANT to look at people. I enjoy watching how they interact with one another.

iris.moon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Too much eye contact! Some people don't like it, but it's natural for me. Someone seems annoyed or watches me weirdly. They're like: "Why are you looking in my eyes in that way?" And I'm like: "Why do you wear that weird expression? I'm just looking at you". I usually stare at people I like, while I avoid eye contact with ones I don't like.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to kinda...stare "through" the world a lot of the time. Liek, y'know, in that Ni-dom way? :D This is the case often when I'm involved in a social interaction I'm not really "into"; like, I don't know, during talk about matters I consider unimportant, or when the pace of the interaction's too slow, or there's just no "spark" between me and the other person. It's like, "no, this isn't what I'm looking for, so I'm just going to absent myself nao and [mentally] go off somewhere more interesting."

On the other hand, when I'm into another person and/or a topic being discussed, the eye-contact's all there, wholly engaged and absorbed, seeking for/establishing connection, pushing for more, more, more of this.

...This pattern seems rather Sx/Sp-related?

Don't pick up on details of body language etc so much, at least not consciously (retarded Se, I'd guess?). Even when I was at my most socially anxious I didn't pick up overly on visual cues, it was more tied up with compulsive over-interpretation of every utterance into it's possible meanings/interpretations.