• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP or INTP

akc30

MBTI Type
INFP
I took the test and got INFP and after reading about i agreed but i thing confuses me. I am very good at math and science which is INTP but i also have a very active imagination.

help

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
There have been dozens of threads like this. I've started a handful myself. I originally tested as 55% on the T side, so a very slight T.

There are many who question the validity of the F/T axis, for thinking people feel and feeling people think.

Did you take the actual MBTI? What was your value for the F/T? I was "5" on the T side, as I said.

Eventually I decided (recently) on F. Part of my reasoning is that my primary motivation seems to be receiving approval from others. So if I did a math problem or made a spreadsheet, I'm imagining how happy the person will be or thinking how specifically everyone will benefit from what I'm doing. I have almost no motivation to do math or make spreadsheets for their own sake or out of curiosity. Okay, maybe I do, but usually I'm thinking of a conversation in the future where it will be helpful to someone.

In addition, I'm VERY sensitive.

One thing that might be fun is to look up "INTP motivational posters" and "INFP motivational posters." These are sort of tongue in cheek videos of stereotypical INFP and INTP things.

N

NPcomplete

I test on the T side too but apparently I lost my Ti license..a while back. :laugh:

Anyway, you can be INFP and be good at math and science too.

Good luck! :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Being INFP doesn't mean you are not able to think and cannot do maths etc...

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As others have said, Fs can be good at math and science, that doesn't mean anything.

My little sister is a clear ISFP and has a PhD in molecular biotechnology and has always been one of the best in her class in math, both at school and at the university (thus defying both the feeler and the sensor stereotype). She also loves logic puzzles. And yet if you knew her you couldn't help seeing how very obviously she is motivated by Fi and uses Te as a tool for that.

What is your motivation? What do you like about science? What do you like about math? Or does it just come to you easily but it doesn't really attract you?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took the test and got INFP and after reading about i agreed but i thing confuses me. I am very good at math and science which is INTP but i also have a very active imagination.

help

- do you have any passionate convictions or a strong sense of personal values that fuel you? if so, you are definitely an INFP :) if not, you could be either
- what kinds of things do you imagine? INTPs and INFPs are both very imaginative, but in different ways
- imagination mostly has to do with N?
- what were you like as a child? Fi dom children and Ti dom children are usually pretty different
- have you looked at all into cognitive functions?
- frankly, the tests are little more than an indicator. I'm a clear ENFP, but I usually test as an INTP or INTJ

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say check out the cognitive functions

INFP: Fi Ne Si Te

INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Being good at math and science isnt type related.. and INTPs do tend to have a good and active imagination, at least some of us

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am very good at math and science

The question is, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to use maths and science to answer all the questions about the universe, come out with some new theory and win the Nobel prize, or are you going to use it to solve the world's economic/hunger/political problems and win the Nobel prize?

cranez

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w5
My best friend is an INTP. He is very in his head. I mean, he's social when he wants to be but he'd rather bury his head in books. Mental stimulation is most important to him. He's also someone who can think of the big picture, while most can't. He's also a devops engineer [aka programmer]. I know several INTPs that are engineers. Not sure if it's because of the scope of their thoughts and internal thinking...but I find them fascinating. But yeah like others have said, being good at math and science is not type related.

akc30

MBTI Type
INFP
I am more attracted to the arts, math comes very easily and science i like certain subjects like meteorology. I think art is more of a challenge to me and i am more visual too.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh I see you are starting high school. I might say that I was on the math team. I'm not saying I was close to being the best, but I did travel around a compete with my high school.

My sister is much more "F" that me, and did much better in math.

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
DUDE, YOU'RE AN INFP! Thinking is a tertiary function, that we use, and just because you like math and science, don't mean squat.
Us INFPs love to find out about the world around us and how it works, so definitely INFP dude-bro

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFP, your interests have nothing to do with type. I'm an INxP of sorts and I hate math.

kittycat

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi I am also an INFP, but with an INTP as a close second (I'm about 55% feeling vs 45% thinking).

I think its ok to be one type with the other type as a secondary type and recognise that you have elements of both.
In fact I think its a good thing!

I say this because reading some of the INTP comments sometimes they communicate like aliens like so much logic you don't know they're a person (sorry INTPs but you know I must have some INTP because if I was pure INFP I wouldn't say that because I would be too afraid of offending you!)

But anyway I will say that my INFP/ INTP mix plays out like this.

My first job was a researcher. Then a policy analyst. Now I work in PR with a heavy emphasis on writing and editing. Hence the mix of science/ analytical and writing/ expressive.

At school I did pretty well in maths but my best subjects were English and History (interesting as history is a mix of research/ analysis plus argument and writing skills).

I am pretty easy going and my performance reviews say I am a good team player. But the things I am willing to be argumentative about are when I think the facts are being misrepresented or misconstrued or that someone is being treated unfairly or there is something unethical happening. In which case I tend to argue both logically and from my heart.

I think thinking someone is 'pure' something is a little simplistic, we are all a big mix of different influences. If everyone was just one type then there would be only 16 personalities in the world and there are many shades of each personality type making for a rich and colourful world out there!