• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Career Questions

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi there,

I struggled a while with my field (architecture). I wanted to get out of it, tried working at a fashion designer's studio, then another design studio that was multidisciplinary. I fell back in architecture because it was familiar.

I'm detail-oriented, so I'm good at it. I'm very happy to be back in the field because a) my schooling hasn't gone down the tubes and b) I really like the people who are involved in the process.

I'm practically-minded enough to get along with other architects and contractors (though they probably consider me to be a flake). I'm warm, so getting along with decorators is easy (though they probably consider me to be a geek). I enjoy serving clients and being their spokesperson.

I've also managed to survive the humdrum aspects through my serious hobby, photography, which is spontaneous and of the world (S). There is NO chance to be indecisive and spin my head into oblivion because I have to react instantly to whatever is in front of me! Then you go home and sort through your photos and can spin there. :D I used to sew but deciding what to sew and going into a fabric store can spin my head into infinity. ha. Still does.

1. What's your career now?
Architect

2. Are you enjoying the daily activities associated with this work?
For the most part, yes. It was harder when I was just out of school and I'd sit in the office and do a lot of drawing. I nearly quit the field because the long, isolating days at my desk. Depressing!!

Now my job is a mix of drawing, phone calls, site visits, etc. I manage my own time according to whatever the job needs, and my time is managed by the deadlines of the project. There's enough loose structure to keep me from feeling confined, and enough sense of urgency to prevent me from procrastinating.

3. Do you find this career fulfilling in the long run?
In the long run, yes. You just have to get out from behind the desk and into the field, where you learn how the real stuff is done. Learning from books is fine (and easy for an N) but learning the field is invaluable.

Putting myself into such situations, where you have to think on your feet, is against my nature. Fortunately I work with supportive professionals who don't mind my asking a ton of questions, and I've become good at asking questions. :D

4. How much responsibility do you have? How closely are you supervised?
I'm responsible to make sure our aesthetic needs are met, that the contractor adheres to the schedule, that there are no mistakes. It can be very nerve wracking because of time pressure and the money at stake. I'm not too closely supervised but my boss is just steps away. I also rely on my coworkers quite a bit. Fortunately there is mutual respect among us and no competition.

Having to stand up to contractors and question them is not in my nature. I've had to really push myself in this job. It's been a great learning experience.

5. Do you mostly work alone or as part of a team?
Varies. Usually I work alone in my office, but I switch on and off teams often. Overall, you work with the decorator and contractor as a team to get the project done. You learn a ton from others, and every project has its unique challenges, so the team structure is helpful to avoid mistakes. Our projects are small enough (residences) that one person can carry on once construction starts.

6. How do the employment projections for this career compare with other careers?
Not sure. I have a lot of ex-coworkers/friends who have had trouble recently, but it's been terrible everywhere.

7. Are you thinking of switching career? Why or why not?
I went through all that already and am so happy in my current spot. My only fear is that while my current job is great, I wonder how many other places are out there that are similar. There are a lot of nutty places I know of, ha.

I was really questioning my career before, so I can understand that this would be a popular subject. My recent job issues have to do with working with my ENTP boss and my inherent paranoia about my job performance. Thing is, I would have the paranoia regardless of the job.

Last edited:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

i work in advertising/marketing communications consultancy.
i'm a strategic planner.

yes, because no one day is the same.
and i spend all day absorbing what's going
on in consumer's lives: trends/fads/values
and think about their implications.

i love the nature of the work. i love it as a go-to source
for inspiration and creativity. i dig how we're always looking
at all the different possibilities we can utilise to make
something new/old/boring/overlooked/unheard of and
inject relevancy to it.

4. How much responsibility do you have? How closely do you be supervised?

the responsibility is quite big. all creative
executions (output/deliverables) are all
based on my work brief/plan. the job
duties require someone who's rather
assertive. and that's the biggest addon
when you're doing strategy, you're not
only framing your clients, but you have
to frame people internally.

i feel like i'm a translator most of the time,
translating between client-speak to suit-speak
to creative-speak.

i run the business. so my investors kinda "supervise" me.
when i was an employee, i never really had
a direct boss. i'd just report to the md or ceo.
i don't like being micro managed at all.
i need a lot of freedom when i work. i don't
like being tied down with convention.

both. my own tasks, i work alone and at night,
but then i have to share it with the team.
so best of both worlds.

6. How do the employment projections for this career compare with other careers?

i used to be in management consulting before
i got into advertising. it's much more fun in
advertising. the projects are more interesting,
the hours are just as bad, and the pay is...
well... depends how good you are... there's
always money to be made if you know how
to follow it.

no. i'm damn good at what i do.
i bought a trophy case for myself.
and lined up my shiny awards in it.

i'd like to off some people. however,
i like the job itself. it's the things i
can't control ie. suppliers, clients; that
kinda drive me nuts.

nomoreshallwepart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I'll take you literally in that you said 'career' and not 'day job'. I am at University studying Music Technology. The aim is to work at some level as a music producer even if it becomes a part time interest.

I can be impulsive in some ways for a judging type because there are times when I slightly lose interest in music but that's usually when I am away from Uni or engulfed in something else. Most of the times I am obsessed with all things related to the subject matter and spend a lot of my free time searching certain aspects related to the subject.

If it goes as I hope it might, I'd imagine it would be very fulfilling and not to mention fun as well as challenging.

Practical assignments are always very independent and allow for a great deal of creative freedom, which is great.

It would mostly be alone, which I prefer, there are people I am totally happy to work with and some more difficult but I do like being in charge of my own destiny and to compare notes with my favoured peers rather than have to negotiate with them.

It's one of those jobs which lot's of people want to do and the demand doesn't quite match up. I feel I have the advantage of being idealistic enough to pursue it where others wouldn't.

I'm thinking of having other jobs to support me on my way up. If it gets to the stages of being a very unlikely full time career I'd be very interested in counselling at some level.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Crescent Fresh said:
Software Engineer

Crescent Fresh said:

Not really. I work for a big corporation and feel there is a lot of waste (in both time and money) going on all the time. If I was working on a project that highlighted my skills and interests maybe I would feel differently?

Crescent Fresh said:

Hmm. I find some things about it fulfilling. Like the idea that some of the stuff I've worked on has helped people or saved lives. But the day-to-day of it is a grind.

Crescent Fresh said:

I'm not supervised much, and I don't think I have all that much responsibility. I'm not in charge of a team or anything.

Crescent Fresh said:

I work alone, but also as part of a team.

Crescent Fresh said:

Everyone tells me people always need more software engineers.

Crescent Fresh said:

I don't know; I'm extremely unhappy in my current job. I'm getting a master's in a related field that interests me, and I think if I got to work on that kind of stuff I would be much happier. My employer (who is paying for grad school) is pretty bad at matching up interests/skills with jobs.

Also I've read some studies of women who quit IT and computer sciencey type careers half-way, and to be honest I feel like my job and career projectory are such a drag that I would rather be a housewife and stay-at-home-mom if I get the opportunity. I could consult from home and work my own hours, do work that I was interested in and also take care of the household.

The other thing is that I don't know of any field that I would love to do that could provide as good of a lifestyle. I'd love to study archeology (not sure if I would be good at it), but I don't have the extra $$$ or time to sink into that field, plus raise a family and do all the other stuff I want to do before I die. I suppose I could find a company that writes software for archeologists and work for them . . . . .