• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and Interviews

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ok, so I had an interview for a large scholarship this morning. There were 10 people all asking me questions about myself and my future plans for college. As always, after I left I felt like I did a horrible job selling myself to these people. I went and ate breakfast with a few of my other friends and discussed interviews; 4 were NFs (2x ENFPs, ENFJ, and INFP), 1 ESTP, and 1 ISFJ.

Basically all of us NFs agreed that we suck at interviewing because it is so impersonal, not to mention they always ask the dreaded question: "Is there anything else you would like to add or let us know about you?" How the hell are you supposed to answer that? "I like long walks on the beach." :shock:

On the other hand, the SJ and SP were responding to all of our complaints with brilliant answers of what they would have said which just blew me away. They were promoting themselves like no one's business. I was struck with awe.

So, I was just wondering if any other NFs out there that consider interviews a weakness? (I also consider myself very introverted so that is most likely working against me too.)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I consider the interview process for anything - jobs, scholarships, dates - to be designed to reward Extraverts, Sensors and Judgers. People who feel more comfortable on the hot seat, are succinct and linear, and can stick to the facts. I personally view the whole way jobs are gotten - by marketing and sales techniques - to not necessarily get the employer the true best candidate for the job, but the person who can package themselves as the best candidate for the job. But I don't have any bright ideas for an alternate system. The only thing I've thought of is to, instead of waiting to be called for an interview for a specific posted job and take my chances, target those employers I want to work for, request an information interview, or send them a proposal offering my services and also offering to work unpaid for a month so that the can see for themselves how I'd be and then decide at the end of the month if they want to keep me. I haven't worked up the nerve to try it though. Employers are pretty stuck on the old method.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I really blow at interviews, but preperation is key for people like us. There is a lot of literature out there that give you sample questions, which fall into a few basic categories. Even if you're not looking for a job yet, I would get the book "College Grad Job Hunter." It has chapters devoted to different types of interviews.

That said, I'm real shitty at phone interviews. I find it extremely difficult to articulate thoughts under pressure and am naturally self-critical.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I never liked interviews... I get far too nervous... nor am I the type to sell myself. You know how they say for interviews how you're suppose to "be yourself" and act naturally. It doesn't work for me. I agree with ballen there, I need prep time. :yes: Then afterwards, distract myself with other stuff until it's time to go in. Otherwise I just ended up acting silly.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've had very few interviews, having been offered good jobs several times by people who already knew me and valued my experience and skills. One exception was when I first changed fields and interviewed for a job in the rare book field. I didn't read any books about interviewing, but when I was asked the question "Why do you want to work for us?" I came up with the answer "Working in the Rare Book Room wouldn't just be a job, it would be a profession." My boss loved that answer. It wasn't just BS, as I was trying to start a career in that field, but I was amazed by his reaction. It made me feel that even if it weren't true, just saying those words would have gotten me the job.

Jae Rae

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've gotten nearly every job that I've ever interviewed for and I think I'm pretty good at it. This doesn't mean I don't get nervous or anything, it's just that I feel confident in my interview skills enough to tamp down my nervousness.

PROFESSIONALLY: The more interviews you go on the more comfortable you feel with the process. Use the interviews that didn't go as well as you hoped as practice and learn from them. Being prepared is the best way to alleviate nervousness. When I started hunting for jobs and knew I had to start interviewing, I got several books about it. I familiarized myself with the type of questions interviewers would ask and had canned responses for some of the common ones. I also did some research about the position I was going for and the company itself. The more knowledge you have before going in the more you feel like you can handle any questions they throw out at you. Some interviewers go by how much they like you and how well you vibe with them not how experienced you are, which isn't a bad idea considering you'll be spending 40/week with them. I'd rather work with someone I can get along with and train them for the job then have a perfectly competent jerk coworker. And take their lack of interview skills as a sign. Most supervisors aren't properly trained in managing people and have poor interview skills themselves and are just as nervous as you are. It pretty cool when you can chill your interviewer out!:smooch:

PERSONALLY: For my previous position I started talking to my interviewer about planes because he had pictures of them all over his office. We barely talked about my actual job besides the basics (which is a sign of their managerial style; if they're loose and unstructured vs. all business). My current boss did the same thing, she had Chinese and African artwork all over her office and chatted about. Look for little knick knacks and things (comics, stamps, award plaques, pictures, etc.) they have in the office and use them as conversation pieces. It puts you and the interviewer on the same level. It demonstrates to the interviewer that you're open and at ease (even if you're not really). Also you can turn the table by interviewing your interviewer and throwing some questions at them to make yourself feel more comfortable and confident.

Also have a couple of stories on backlog that show your positive and negative skills and abilities, because it's almost guaranteed you'll get an interview question asking for your best and your worse. Basically, just be prepared...it makes the interview process so much less nerve racking. :)

Atomic Fiend

It's one of those things that I know I'm not good at, yet will have no choice about doing. The only interview I ever recall not hating was one with an (I think ENTJ), who instead of asking me questions, spent the whole inverview telling/teaching me about the world of business.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love interviews, I believe that they have been the sole reason why I've gotten *all* of my past jobs.

Interviews are fun!!! Crap, is that weird that I think that?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Only if it's weird that I love written tests. If there was test-taking career, I'd be all over it. :D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Only if it's weird that I love written tests. If there was test-taking career, I'd be all over it. :D
Lol, I love taking written tests as well, they're fun!!! ^__^

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
If it was last semester, I would have sent you $30 to do my math test after seeing this... oh well :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
ENFX's should in theory excel at interviews. I'm with Protean and CaptainChick on this. I enjoy them and I'm pretty good at them. My friends even say this in a slightly deragotory way, as if I'm a consummate used car salesmen. :dry: Your empathy should help tons. SJ's know what people want because :duh: it's obvious right? A, B, C, 1, 2, 3-- whatever detailed job description asks for is what they'll deliver. As an NF you also have to ability to "know what they want" but in the more insidious empathic "feeler" way of seeing what's not explicit and spelled out. You can use your empathy to figure out what the interviewer want to hear and how they want to hear it and see what kind of person they actually want to hire. And use your people skills to make people feel at ease. If you're comfortable (or pretend very well) it'll make others comfortable and more at ease with the idea of working with you.

So here are some pointers. Interviews are strategic as well as interpersonal. Do your homework, be confident, and use your interpersonal skills and personal strengths -- like good manners?

Doing mock interviews helps. Know the 5 general questions any boss is gonna ask you like "Name a time you failed," "What's your biggest weakness", "Why do you want to work in this field", 'What do you enjoy most about this work?" "What do you like least?" "What accomplishment are you most proud of?" Etc. etc. etc.

Practice till you know the answers cold and it seems natural and add details for each different job so it sounds tailored and spontaneous. Pretend to be confident and be courteous. Use people's names. Look people in the eye. Be nice to the receptionist. Memorize a few facts about the company you're gonna work for and work them into your spiel and cite reasons you're excited to work specifically for this company. Etc.

Good luck!

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I did do my homework and I definitely submitted and essay I knew they would buy into (which made me a finalist). However, I'm just so much better at selling myself through writing than speaking. It's almost impossible for me to make a good first impression because I am such a reserved person. Someone I work with told me that the first 5 days of training she didn't really think much of me, but now she thinks I'm probably the coolest person she knows, and she doesn't hesitate to yell "TRAVIS! YOU'RE AWESOME!" every time I pass her walking to class (you might have guessed that she is an ENFJ, lol). I just know that if I try too hard to be that person everyone likes, I easily come off as fake.

I had a lot of items on my application that they were really impressed with, but with a scholarship I bet it might just come down to whose personality they liked the most; which would most likely not be me if I'm competing against extraverts. All 10 interviewers were Alumni, so when they asked me what my favorite class was (I told them Metaphysics since I knew they would like that answer better than Inferential Statistics) a couple of the younger alumni had a small conversation with me about how great a teacher the guy is, etc. I even was asked by an older alumni to explain what metaphysics was, which I was able to explain pretty eloquently. I had some good moments, I just don't really feel like overall I sold myself like I should have. I'm the kind of person that "walks the walk" but doesn't care to "talk the talk"; actions speak louder than words to me. But this always inevitably bites me in the ass when I am required to "talk the talk" in situations likes these.

I'll definitely go ahead and look into some books on interviewing. Reading about something is how I learn best.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
I always took interview as a theater role to play, you just have to fit into their expectations. So you have to think over their expectations first and then play the role of the person who corresponds to it. It's easy and it's fun! It's just like an acting show. I even got hired in a bank for a commercial job, whereas i suck at commercial competences. Just faked them during the interview. This said, this is not very good because i hated the job i got! Now, I wouldn't redo this. But to this time, I just wanted to prove myself my great acting competences.. :)

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love interviews, I believe that they have been the sole reason why I've gotten *all* of my past jobs.

Hey see, i think the same. It might just be an ENFP thing!

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
I actually like interviews because to me they feel more personal, in comparison to a resume drop or e-mail, etc., not less personal. I am pretty good at getting people to feel like they know me well and are comfortable with me in a short amount of time, and that helps a lot I think.
The part I used to suck at was selling myself...I don't really like people who come across as thinking they are awesome, so I tend to undersell myself...it took me a while to be able to convince myself that telling people I am awesome for a half-hour isn't just okay, but is expected and is needed to get the job a lot of the time. Since I tend to undersell myself, if I feel like I am overselling myself, it ends up being the right amount.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

you're not alone
i find its like a game
a very intense and fun game
mouth karate, if you will
heehee, i made a funny

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
People ENJOY interviews?!?!?! Outrageous! :ohmy: (Okay, maybe I envy those who enjoy them.)

I hate them. I feel I never do a good job at them or anything else involving me "selling" myself. Everytime I hear someone say "Just sell yourself," I'm completely boggled as to how that's actually done and seriously unnerved at the thought of turning myself into a product. That said, I end up doing an okay job at such things. I just do not enjoy being interrogated or having my every word carefully weighed and feeling as though any screw up would put my head on the chopping block. Also...when people say "You just have to put yourself out there" I really want to slap them. I have NO idea what that precisely means, and since I'm usually expected to do what they're asking, I have no idea what to do and that upsets me.

It also doesn't help that deep down I really don't want to do any of those things.

Well, that's been bothering me for a while.

/rant

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
People ENJOY interviews?!?!?! Outrageous! :ohmy: (Okay, maybe I envy those who enjoy them.)

I hate them. I feel I never do a good job at them or anything else involving me "selling" myself. Everytime I hear someone say "Just sell yourself," I'm completely boggled as to how that's actually done and seriously unnerved at the thought of turning myself into a product. That said, I end up doing an okay job at such things. I just do not enjoy being interrogated or having my every word carefully weighed and feeling as though any screw up would put my head on the chopping block. Also...when people say "You just have to put yourself out there" I really want to slap them. I have NO idea what that precisely means, and since I'm usually expected to do what they're asking, I have no idea what to do and that upsets me.

It also doesn't help that deep down I really don't want to do any of those things.

Well, that's been bothering me for a while.

/rant

I think we are on the same page!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I guess this is not so much NF then than EP-IJ differences highlighted? My ISTJ friend does well in interviews and she gets a lot of added responsibility/respect at work. But I think it's also the line of work (paralegal, administrative etc.) and kinds of places (governmental, legal, academic) that syncs up with her interview style and strengths.

I think in general for interviews from the responses to far:

EP helps - you're extroverted and you're good on the post. I have to say, I honestly feel 'in my element' in interview situations. I'm also attracted to theater sports/improv sketch comedy, I like having to rise to the occassion. *Edit* You enjoy putting on a show, don't mind being center of attention, and even enjoy 'selling yourself'.

I(NF)J - Just feel nervous and out of your element? *Edit* You feel fake when you feel someone is imposing the need to 'sell yourself'. You feel 'selling yourself' has unseemly overtones and is...undignified?

Last edited: