• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe - EVERYTHING IS RUDE

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I can hurt my S.O.'s feelings, and in so many words, he asks me to stop. And he's an entj 8w9 lol...... He tells me I am "mean" and that I hurt his feelings all the time. He doesn't point out exactly when, but at that time, he will tell me I am being "mean". I can tell sometimes that I have hurt his feelings. I think regardless of Fe or Fi, people have their limits, and they get their feelings hurt.
I think as an Fe user, I feel like I go out of my way sometimes not to offend, so when others don't do it, I think it's rude. That doesn't mean that I think they should stop however, because I cross lines too. It might pee me off a wee little bit, so I do it back to them. If I don't do it back to them, I feel as if I've given away too much, so I make sure I do. It's like, "If you can play this game, so can I", because I know that probably what I've said or done DOES affect them in some way. It seems to work over time to help an Fi see what they are doing to others, because they begin to see that feelings really are in-part, the other's responsibility, as well as their own. I'm sure no Fi-user could want anyone they love to tell them what a fatass they are, for instance, lol......and yes, it would more-than-likely, hurt their feelings to do so. Feelings are shared responsibilities, regardless.

As far as the mother described in this thread, I don't see her as simply an Fe-user. She is controlling.... extremely. And anyone who would put up with this, has issues of their own, imho. It's like this woman is buying her daughter's life, choosing everything her wedding is, and manipulating the situation, or at least, trying her damnedest to. I don't know how far she is getting, but it looks like pretty far. The daughter seems to be a manipulated pawn. The mother, while she may be well-meaning, seems to want this wedding to be a vision that's in her head, and not what the daughter wants at all.

I think this whole wedding situation is much less an Fe thing than just a dysfunctional thing. I wouldn't so easily blame this mess on Fe lol...... or attribute their behaviors to their use of Fe. While some F's annoy me as well, it's not because of their use of Fe. It's the way they are choosing to use it. Same with Fi users.....

yeah of course...when i said that i'm a pretty considerate person i said that because i am mindful of others feelings but i don't/won't bottle mine to protect them..like...example...someone asked a favor of me...it was the night before my day off...my job is hard and long with super early mornings and it's stressful and wears me out...i have very little energy to do things at the end of the day so i put stuff off until my day off...and she calls the night before and asks for a favor that would require me to go to her house super early in the morning and spend all day there...my reaction was ahhhh...you gotta ask me sooner!!! i have a lot of stuff to do but if you bring her here i can watch her...and...i'm afraid this offended her fe...which sucks because i feel like i should be allowed to be honest about how i feel and let her know that she really should ask sooner so that i may plan accordingly....a fe user...or the ones i know would likely just say yes of course np but then bitch about it to someone else....that offends me and my fi to death.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The situation you described in the op happens too often in various forms of sincerity especially when family traditions clash. There's only one solution: do your own thing, eventually she will accept that. Make it clear that it is your wedding not hers, search the confrontation and let it clash.

if you continue to give in or make things her way that wont ever get better. Some people are so unhappy with themselves that they constantly need to change others

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I apologize in advance if I come off as a judgmental or if I seem like I am using stereotypes... that being said....

I CANNOT TAKE FE!!!!!!!!! (in ESFJs)

I can't take it anymore. I can't win. Ever. I can't defend anyone else's point of views if it is different than the Fe-user's POV. This is ridiculous and it is rude on their part to pass judgement on EVERYONE ELSE and their opinions.

One person does an act of kindness
"WELL, IF THEY WANTED TO DO A NICE GUESTURE, THEY SHOULD HAVE DOES TTTHHHISSSS INSTEAD OF THAT. THAT IS JUST CHEAP AND DEMEANING"

Honestly, what is going on in their heads? Do they think that they are better and more classy than everyone? Do they have this competitiveness going on and they just want to beat out everyone? What is it??

I'm planning an wedding (I'm an ENFP marrying and ISTJ) and my future in laws are ISxJ and ISTJ.

The ISTJs are very conservative and if they do anything that reflects their Christian-conservative outlook, my ESFJ mother calls it rude/unclassy/cheap.

Example: They don't drink alcohol so they'd prefer there to be a cash bar to help monitor that amount of drunk people / why would they pay hundreds of dollars for an open bar that a majority of their guests won't touch?

It makes sense to me, but explaining a different outlook to my ESFJ mom is ridiculous. How can I make her understand that not everyone is like her. Not everyone drinks or celebrates the same way she does.

** And there is more frustrations when I try and voice my opinion about anything that has to do with my ideas for my own wedding... she doesn't agree with anything I say, anything that is different than what she's seen 30 years ago is viewed as TACKY.

I could go on and on. I am sorry if I am being rude but I am at my wit's end with her Fe. I need to understand it. Someone help me find a way to talk to her and get her to see someone else's point of view

you beat an EFJ who is being a guilt trippy bitch by asking them a barrage of questions
"Why"
"Okay, than why that?"
"Why did you say it like that?"
"what does that even mean?"
"why is that any of you business in the first place?"
or
"don't you think you're being rude for slapping a label on them so quickly"

if they give a wishy washy answer then respond
"what does that mean?"
"be more specific"
or
"that's not actionable"

if they resort to guilt tripping, you can respond with
"that's irrelevant. answer my question please"

PS: this has about an 80% success rate (based on 100s of field observations and split variable tests I conducted during high school to learn how to get people to leave me the fuck alone lol)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i agree with oa totally...in that she may be right about peoples expectations but if it were me it wouldn't sway me a bit. i think it's totally rude of guests to judge or to have certain expectations. i view it as completely selfish and i'd find it insulting if my mother cared more about the guests wishes than my own. i like to think of myself as a pretty considerate person but i'm beginning to think i define it much differently than a fe user would. i think it's rude to expect people to walk on eggshells around you and take responsibility for your emotions. they think it's rude not to...or something....it bugs me.

my thoughts exactly. expecting someone to be responsible for one's own emotions is a step up from rude, it borders on parasitic

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem is that your mom's guests are drunks and the in-laws guests are not. LOL

Not entirely serious but there's probably a grain of truth to this.

And the point of me pointing this pointed point out, is that both sets of parents seem "rude", if we're defining rude as pushing your own agenda on others who don't share it.

But, of course, determining who gets the rudest parent award is not really productive. Not to mention that, regardless of MBTI type, this is a common problem you are having (i.e. Is it MY wedding or <insert person who is paying> wedding???).

I wouldn't bother with welling up with anger, developing disdain for my mother, arguing, or putting on any guilt trips. Instead, I would detach just a tiny bit from these things because the wedding is probably going to be beautiful and nice no matter what, get used to the fact that my parents and my in-laws are vastly different and will likely never understand each other or be best of friends (<this is a good thing, actually) and try to keep any sparks from turning into fires until we can finally get to the big day.

In the meantime, perhaps you can suggest substituting another expense as a good way to remedy this. For example, instead of paying for the cash bar, which your non-drinking in laws may have a biased against already, have them pay for the flowers or something else that you feel is equivalent in cost. You'll have to come up with a creative reason as to why you want to switch costs though.

Also if you're worried about your mom not understanding your future husband, don't expect her to change the values she's had all her life. It just won't happen. All you and he can do is consistently prove to her over time, through actions, that he's good to you and a good person, even if she doesn't understand your methods and goes about things differently.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just...it seems like practically everyone has an ESFJ mother. (I sure as hell don't...she's probably an INTJ!). I remember reading one of those threads surveying people's families types and practically every mother was an ESFJ. Is this possible?

In at least one enneagram book it commented that women with a family and over a certain age tend to test type 2 and this was something to look out for. I thought this seemed a bit condescending/stereotypical, but it pointed out that this was how a lot of women had been socialized. I can't help wondering if there isn't something similar at work with all these ESFJ mothers. Plus, it seems like a convenient box to put an annoying mother in. Like everyone puts their annoying bosses in the convenient ESTJ box.
There's a high correlation between 2s and ESFJs, and yes, ESFJs are the most common female type and they are more likely to breed than many other types so there's a good chance your mother is one. Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason.

I was just saying, literally, how I loathe Fe. As a function, it doesn't even make sense. It is poison, contradicts itself, and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Sometimes, a thing can be both rude AND true.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If everything is rude, then nothing is :mellow:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah of course...when i said that i'm a pretty considerate person i said that because i am mindful of others feelings but i don't/won't bottle mine to protect them..like...example...someone asked a favor of me...it was the night before my day off...my job is hard and long with super early mornings and it's stressful and wears me out...i have very little energy to do things at the end of the day so i put stuff off until my day off...and she calls the night before and asks for a favor that would require me to go to her house super early in the morning and spend all day there...my reaction was ahhhh...you gotta ask me sooner!!! i have a lot of stuff to do but if you bring her here i can watch her...and...i'm afraid this offended her fe...which sucks because i feel like i should be allowed to be honest about how i feel and let her know that she really should ask sooner so that i may plan accordingly....a fe user...or the ones i know would likely just say yes of course np but then bitch about it to someone else....that offends me and my fi to death.

Oh no, that's crazy........
I have Fe, but yea, I think some of the F's can get out of hand, and they have to be tamed. ha.
I'm the type that would not answer the phone.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is that your mom's guests are drunks and the in-laws guests are not. LOL

Not entirely serious but there's probably a grain of truth to this.

And the point of me pointing this pointed point out, is that both sets of parents seem "rude", if we're defining rude as pushing your own agenda on others who don't share it.

But, of course, determining who gets the rudest parent award is not really productive. Not to mention that, regardless of MBTI type, this is a common problem you are having (i.e. Is it MY wedding or <insert person who is paying> wedding???).

I wouldn't bother with welling up with anger, developing disdain for my mother, arguing, or putting on any guilt trips. Instead, I would detach just a tiny bit from these things because the wedding is probably going to be beautiful and nice no matter what, get used to the fact that my parents and my in-laws are vastly different and will likely never understand each other or be best of friends (<this is a good thing, actually) and try to keep any sparks from turning into fires until we can finally get to the big day.

In the meantime, perhaps you can suggest substituting another expense as a good way to remedy this. For example, instead of paying for the cash bar, which your non-drinking in laws may have a biased against already, have them pay for the flowers or something else that you feel is equivalent in cost. You'll have to come up with a creative reason as to why you want to switch costs though.

Also if you're worried about your mom not understanding your future husband, don't expect her to change the values she's had all her life. It just won't happen. All you and he can do is consistently prove to her over time, through actions, that he's good to you and a good person, even if she doesn't understand your methods and goes about things differently.

yeah exactly...why are the non drinkers in charge of paying for the alcohol portion anyway? why don't they contribute in another way? and....why offer a gift that's not really a gift...talk about rude...if i ever pay for my kids wedding i will offer them a certain amount and they can do with it what they want...even if they choose to elope and use it for honeymoon and down payment on a house.. i wouldn't care. it should be about the couples wishes and if my advice or help is asked for i will do my best to help them in a way that would make them happiest..not me...and not the guests....i'm pretty picky and opinionated when it comes to style and creating a scene or throwing a party and i'm sure my aesthetic tastes will be offended...but wth are ya gonna do...it's their day.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It's your wedding, not your mom's. She got to plan her wedding, and you should plan yours the way you want.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
So far I think [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION] and my suggestion were the best so far - have your husband's family contribute monetarily to something else. It's both the thought and the money that counts here and will take care of the tension.

:hifive: Giggly!

Also, I know that in the West weddings are considered a very individual thing - but marriages are really about two families meeting for better or worse and this is reflected in the wedding.

Also, unless you pay for a wedding completely yourself, the opinions and wishes of the people footing the bill does go a long way. That's why I've heard of some couples saying "fuhget it" and paying entirely for the wedding themselves so they can do whatever they want and ignore the haterz.

V

violaine

I don't know if anyone has said it yet but I wonder if she's worrying that everyone is going to be judging her social graces and hospitality via your wedding. If her name is on the invitations, she might feel her reputation is front and center. I have known a lot of brides whose mothers have felt the wedding is a direct reflection of how they raised their daughter. And if she's also concerned with impressing others, that's a double whammy.

As to how to get through to her... Hmm, maybe like,"Mom you raised me to be my own person (or considerate of others or whatever) and that's what I'm doing. This wedding symbolizes the start of a new family and it's very important to me that everyone in that family feels respected. That's what I want on this day." And yes, I'm sure you'll get a ton of guilting for it, but you're just going to have to recognize that as her trying to get her own way or trying to shrug blame for behaving badly, and quietly push ahead. That's how you start to make firm boundaries that she'll respect.

Is it possible she's just highly verbal and venting? I know people who do that and it apparently means nothing after they get it all out. :dry: It's maddening when people resort to the guilting though.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, I know that in the West weddings are considered a very individual thing - but marriages are really about two families meeting for better or worse and this is reflected in the wedding.

I would prefer if the two families got along but what do you do if they don't?

The scene of the in laws being very different yet quietly tolerating each other at family gatherings is often portrayed in the movies, but is probably very common. I think it prevents the closeness that the meeting of two families is supposed to be, ideally. Ideally, the two families are more alike than not and everything goes smoothly :)D). In the absence of that, when they're very different, hopefully they can be non-selfish and try to get along with the in laws for the sake of the bride and groom. The trivial upside to that is that at least they won't ever collude together and gang up on you. lol

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Omg, I seriously hate that "you are being rude". Grrr It's like: what does that even mean?? if:
- i am not hurting your feelings and
- i am being honest
Then who cares if my actions follow some unspoken rules of etiquette? God, I hate this one to bits. It's like: appreciate the fact that I'm being honest, why would you prefer me being false?

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you absolutely, 100% positive she's ESFJ?

My ESTJ grandmother does this a lot...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mind people saying things are rude, I mind how it's overused at inappropriate times (much the way "weird" and "awkward" are)
I tell people they are rude if they are being inconsiderate and having a negative effect on others such as doing gross things while others are eating, being disrespectful when unsolicited, interrupting someone continually (interrupting someone on accident happens occasionally, that's a different story) or not giving someone personal space.

most people use the term "rude" to refer to a variety of behaviors that aren't present within social norms. this usage of the word is what bothers me as it is really none of their business

G

garbage

My response to people like the OP's mother who fret over the details of others' lives is usually along the lines of.. "cry about it some more." Well, usually "don't sweat the small stuff," but I like to pretend that I'm an overly blunt badass.

God, weddings (and holidays, and etc.) shouldn't be so stressful. They only get stressful when everyone forgets what they're supposed to be about. If you're having heated arguments with someone about the type of cake that they serve at their wedding or whether or not they send Christmas cards, you are probably very neurotic and closed-minded and need to examine your own life.

At a wedding, you're uniting two individuals and, if everyone so sees fit, their families too. If you're uniting the families, maybe the families ought to try to understand one another.

Edit: Wait a minute, the family's paying for the thing? I guess they might deserve some say-so, but they should still heed the above advice. Boy, stuff sure is complicated sometimes. A great way for a couple to un-complicate things is to pay for their own wedding. But that never really happens.

Are you absolutely, 100% positive she's ESFJ?

My ESTJ grandmother does this a lot...

Let's just blame the S's in general. Since this is an NF subforum and S's are a minority on this forum overall, it'll magically be okay for some reason ;)