• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP 5w4 RCUAI

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I think this might be what I am. Any further input on this combination of MBTI, enneagram, and Big 5? Is it rare? Strange?

Supposedly the INFP's natural Big 5 partner is RCUAI or RLUAI. I can, on occasions, have some of the symptoms of the RLUAI, but RCUAI is a better overall fit for me. I'd consider myself a confident INFP, if I am one. Also, lately I've been thinking that my inferior is definitely Te — I don't relate to using Fe at all, which would make sense if I was an INFP.

Last edited:

Silveresque

I think this might be what I am. Any further input on this combination of MBTI, enneagram, and Big 5? Is it rare? Strange?

Supposedly the INFP's natural Big 5 partner is RCUAI or RLUAI. I can, on occasions, have some of the symptoms of the RLUAI, but RCUAI is a better overall fit for me. I'd consider myself a confident INFP, if I am one. Also, lately I've been thinking that my inferior is definitely Te — I don't relate to using Fe at all, which would make sense if I was an INFP.

According to this source, INFP 5w4's are actually quite common, though I've only seen one on this forum. I know [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] is one, and I was typed as one for a short time, in fact. Basically, you have a type that makes decisions through Fi but is also highly intellectual and concerned with establishing competency in some area of expertise. You seek knowledge above all and use feeling as your primary way of knowing. At least, that's my impression of what an INFP 5w4 would be like.

Now, I'm the other way around. As an INTP 4w5, I seek emotional intensity like a 4 would, but I base my decisions on logical analysis. I find it kind of interesting that INFP 5w4's are supposedly "quite common", yet INTP 4w5's are rare. Though I suppose mistypings are quite common as well, so I wonder how accurate that data actually is.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty sure I'm an INFP 5w4 RCUAI. There was a previous thread here http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ll-me-about-infp-s-who-type-5-enneagrams.html

I definitely feel the need to understand and build up knowledge as a way to make the external world more predictable. Plus, it's a way to be useful and build competence... and thus avoid appearing inadequate and vulnerable externally. Still, underneath it's Fi that rules, even though I can usually analyze and defend myself logically.

At the enneagram conference I attended I sat at the 5s table one day and the 9s table another day. I definitely didn't have the 9-style of energy, but the 5s were a better fit. Still some 5s seemed kind of rigid and REALLY emotionally unaware to me. Next time I attend a workshop I'll sit with the 4s one day just for comparison sake.

I definitely have some e4 issues, too... but generally I use Fi to amp down intensity rather than turn it up... typically by being aware of early subtle shifts of emotion and intentionally avoiding reinforcing them. If all else fails, intellectualizing is good way to distance oneself from intensity when needed.

(BTW: does make me feel a little vulnerable and queasy to talk about my defense mechanisms, but that's the enneagram for you.)

I think INFPs are most commonly 4, 9, and 5 (in that order).

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I try to avoid the words "feeling" and "thinking" outside of their typological context. I don't really know the cognitive difference between thought and emotion — I mean, does anyone? Also, if the T/F dichotomy was really so strict, feelers would be incapable of logic and mathematics. Ability to think reasonably and even think at an impressive level obviously has nothing to do with being a T or F. My psychology teacher is an INFJ (don't know his enneagram, I'm betting it's 9w1) and he is extraordinarily intelligent.

Ti is inclined to make logical sense of everything whereas Fi is inclined to make judgments of value (e.g., what matters to me and why it matters). A person with strong Fi could actually decide to themselves, "Wow, math, science, and logic have made amazing breakthroughs for humanity. This is valuable." That person could then go on to become a theoretical physicist, a mathematician, an architect, a computer scientist, etc. Sensible and logical things can be valued, but emotional things really can't be analyzed, scrutinized, or made sense of. I think this could be why it's more usual for an INFP to be a 5w4 than an INTP to be a 4w5. Indeed, enneagrams for thinking types are actually 5, 6, and 3 for the intuitives and SPs and 1 for the SJs.

All too often Fi is associated with squishy moral values and gut feelings. That's total bullshit. INFPs aren't dysfunctional, capricious disasters and they aren't saccharine AT ALL (maybe some of the girls, but the guys tend to be very serious, poetic and/or artistic, philosophical, and very withdrawn). Poets and philosophers are often very erudite and although many would call those breeds 4w5 and 5w4 respectively, I think that's putting the cart before the horse. Why can't a poet be a 5w4? Is there no intellectual element in poetry or poets? Why can't a philosopher be a 4w5? You're telling me there's not a whole lot of individuality and self-expression in philosophy? You must be kidding! I should also note that 4s and 5s tend to have similar problems; I would also say both INPs suffer from similar problems.

So, why can't knowledge and learning be valued? If you ask me, wisdom and learning means a lot to most INFPs. I could easily see why it motivates them, especially since INFPs want to "have meaning" and "be known for their ideas." Both of these desires/motivations can be conflated with either enneagram; it really just depends on the INFP.

In truth, an Fi system of value might not be an ethical one at all! It might just involve what they find important. When you sketch Fi as the function that values things and Ti as the function that makes sense of things, it becomes clearer IMO. All this ethics vs. logic talk I hear is fucking stupid and makes no sense.

Anyway, I apologize for the novel. This is just a bundle of thoughts I've had stewing in my brain for a while.

Silveresque

In truth, an Fi system of value might not be an ethical one at all! It might just involve what they find important. When you sketch Fi as the function that values things and Ti as the function that makes sense of things, it becomes clearer IMO. All this ethics vs. logic talk I hear is fucking stupid and makes no sense.

Indeed Fi and Ti are tricky to distinguish. It's not something so simple as morals = Fi and logic = Ti, since clearly both can be used for either. But I also don't think that Fi is the only one that values things and Ti is the only one that makes sense of things. I think they both value things and they both make sense of things, but in different ways.

Ultimately, it comes down to how you come to your conclusions, rather than the conclusions themselves. Ti prefers to detach to analyze objectively, while Fi makes things personal and decides based on feelings. There's really no equation for this, however, since anyone is capable of using both functions and may switch to the less preferred function in certain situations, or at least that's my theory. You have to make a subjective choice to decide which is preferred, which is valued--but in doing so you risk deceiving yourself. Perhaps Fi would be more easily satisfied with a subjective decision, while Ti would struggle with the fact that you can't really know with certainty.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a 5w4 INFP. It fits better than 4, and I'm definitely not a 9. My first instinct always is to observe and learn. I appear more four, but I have quite a heavy wing. I struggle with more five issues than four issues though.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I originally took the MBTI...in the couseling dept. of my undergrad, I tested as INTP, with a 5 on the "T" side, which means very weak T...very close to the center. That was 1990. It might be said that in the other preferences, I was very strong...like it says in my signature.

Also, much later...like a few years ago... I took some online ennegram, and got 5w4.

It was after discussion and a few threads I made where I decided I was really INFP with 4w5.

You see, I was at summer camp taking Environmental Science merit badge, and then we were to do a report on what we observed. The adult said that my report was amazing and that I should consider a career in science. Also, in the 6th grade we went to a field trip to the "environmental studies center", where elementary school students go and learn about local wildlife and the environment. She asked if someone knew the poisonous snakes of Alabama, and I knew all six as well as answers to all the other questions. She also said I should go into science too.

However, I believe my motivation was because they offerred praise and feedback which was a primary rarity in my life, and I hunger for it. So my "true" core is, I believe, 4...but 5 is in there too.

Sun-Chan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Я 5w4 INFP. Это подходит лучше, чем 4, и я определенно не 9. Мой первый инстинкт всегда - наблюдать и учиться. Я кажусь больше четырех, но у меня довольно тяжелое крыло. Однако я борюсь с пятью проблемами, а не с четырьмя.
I'm INFP 5w4 too :з