• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Engaging Ne

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Right, so when things aren't going well, what's the best way of re-engaging Ne?

When there doesn't appear to be any new avenues to explore or, perhaps worse, it seems as if the current bad situation reflects greater reality what are your tips for "getting your Ne back"?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
There are always new avenues to explore, I think most of the time when you think you're out of options, you're really just limiting yourself too much. You start off with rules like 'this aspect has to be covered so I have to involve x somehow' or 'y is a given, now what do I do next?', when neither x or y HAVE to be there. I dunno if this helps, it's very general, but I hope you get the idea.

Permabanned
Right, so when things aren't going well, what's the best way of re-engaging Ne?

When there doesn't appear to be any new avenues to explore or, perhaps worse, it seems as if the current bad situation reflects greater reality what are your tips for "getting your Ne back"?

Get out of your head. Go sweep the floor, do the dishes, water the garden, anything in the exterior that and requires you to get out of your head and pay attention to the Now. Ne is an extrovert function, so when you're not busy being lost inside your head with your introvert judging function, Ne is free to do it's thing. Just remember to notice when you fall back inside your head and watch how you sabotage Ne and yourself.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Get out of your head. Go sweep the floor, do the dishes, water the garden, anything in the exterior that and requires you to get out of your head and pay attention to the Now. Ne is an extrovert function, so when you're not busy being lost inside your head with your introvert judging function, Ne is free to do it's thing. Just remember to notice when you fall back inside your head and watch how you sabotage Ne and yourself.

This is a high risk for an inferior Te grip in an INFP though, which can lead to Ne eventually, but can also be the long, frustrating route. I think interacting with people or doing things which allow for more conceptual trains of thought to form is a better way. Task work is likely to bring out SiTe in an INFP, and at best, just prove a distraction while they get some chores done (but hey, that IS useful in other ways).

Anyhow, I find interacting with others useful, especially if I hold off on any judgment & reflection while doing it. It allows my perspective to readjust a bit. This will backfire if you start comparing yourself to people, or making other conclusions which amounts to Fi butting in again. You also have to be careful not to overextend yourself energy-wise.

I also agree with [MENTION=4894]animenagai[/MENTION] that you're probably limiting yourself. For INFPs, I see this as creating imaginary obstacles, because you've self-imposed some Fi standard on yourself that is not really as necessary as you're making it to be. Ne tends to work well with innovating itself out of boxes & obstacles, but that's only if Fi ideals allow it to move freely. Try & broaden your idea of what is necessary for you to be happy or to move forward, even what "moving forward" means.

Specific suggestions that may help you to begin exercising your Extraverted iNtuition more fully:

• Take care to notice what people look like in different social situations. Look at their hair, their skin, their makeup (or lack thereof), their clothes, the condition of their clothes, their shoes, their facial expressions. Don't compare others to your own appearance, or pass judgment on their appearance, simply take in the information.
  • Think of a situation in your life in which you weren't sure how to behave. Now try to understand how one or two other people would see the situation. Don't compare their behavior to your own, i.e. "she would know better than me what to do", or "why is it so easy for her, but so hard for me". Rather, try to understand how they would see the situation. Would it be seen as a problem, or as an opportunity? Would it be taken seriously or lightly? Try to determine their point of view without passing judgment or comparing it to your own.
  • When having a conversation with a friend or relative, dedicate at least half of your time to talking about the other person. Concentrate on really understanding where that person is coming from with their concerns. Ask questions.
  • Think of the people who are closest to you. As you think of each person, tell yourself "this person has their own life going on, and they are more concerned with their own life than they are with mine." Remember that this doesn't mean that they don't care about you. It's the natural order of things. Try to visualize what that person is doing right now. What things are they encountering, what thoughts are they having? Don't pass judgment, or compare their situation to your own.
  • Try to identify the personality type of everyone that you come into contact with for any length of time.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Add more data. Read, talk, observe. It helps me, if I go some place new, so I'm literally disengaging the si, and breaking routine.

Permabanned
This is a high risk for an inferior Te grip in an INFP though, which can lead to Ne eventually, but can also be the long, frustrating route. I think interacting with people or doing things which allow for more conceptual trains of thought to form is a better way. Task work is likely to bring out SiTe in an INFP, and at best, just prove a distraction while they get some chores done (but hey, that IS useful in other ways).

Anyhow, I find interacting with others useful, especially if I hold off on any judgment & reflection while doing it. It allows my perspective to readjust a bit. This will backfire if you start comparing yourself to people, or making other conclusions which amounts to Fi butting in again. You also have to be careful not to overextend yourself energy-wise.

I also agree with [MENTION=4894]animenagai[/MENTION] that you're probably limiting yourself. For INFPs, I see this as creating imaginary obstacles, because you've self-imposed some Fi standard on yourself that is not really as necessary as you're making it to be. Ne tends to work well with innovating itself out of boxes & obstacles, but that's only if Fi ideals allow it to move freely. Try & broaden your idea of what is necessary for you to be happy or to move forward, even what "moving forward" means.

Ne requires high frequency stimuli. If you want to maximize it's output you need to provide it with a rich environment from where it can feed, rather than stay inside your head anal-izing half-ass theories, whether they are rational (Ti) or emotional (Fi).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne requires high frequency stimuli. If you want to maximize it's output you need to provide it with a rich environment from where it can feed, rather than stay inside your head anal-izing half-ass theories, whether they are rational (Ti) or emotional (Fi).

Where did I say this?
Mundane chores are not very stimulating to most NPs; it's not a "rich environment".

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I actually do this and find it worthwhile in the short-term. However, it doesn't solve anything in the long-term; it just takes me mind off of things for a bit.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Awesome advice here so far.... one important thing to emphasize here is the difference between being engaged and "getting your Ne back". Ne is a sort of perspective that doesn't go away as an xNxP. But that whole part about finding ways to escape something when you feel trapped, that part needs a certain level of engagement that requires a ton of energy and input from the outside. So yeah.... doing tasks that require that you get out of your head, interact with others, break routine anyway you can to add something new.... all that stuff. But easier said than done, right? There's that whole Catch 22 of once you're stuck in one place for too long and there doesn't seem to be anything new, energy levels take a crash dive and breaking the inertia to be able to do anything new to find those new avenues becomes next to impossible. I wish I had the answer to that part of it... the closest I've got is to take itty bitty baby steps outside your "current reality" until you feel awake again (Then time for giant leaps again, of course ;) ) Maybe try breaking away from typology theories and forums for a day :tongue: They're really good at being new shiny theories to play with and find yourself... that eventually leave you with obsessive dry spells where you get stuck recycling the same information over and over again. Lots of mining, no gold left in that spot. Occasional physical removal from the computer or other source of stagnant information for a couple days is good if the problem is along those lines. Then when you get back you'll almost surely be at another spot that might have gold or at least some pretty rocks...

There is likely also the specific problem of the FiSi block involved in that projecting the bad situation onto reality as a whole. I'll get back to you on that once I understand Fi a little better, but OrangeAppled touched on it pretty well already.

Permabanned
I actually do this and find it worthwhile in the short-term. However, it doesn't solve anything in the long-term; it just takes me mind off of things for a bit.

It's a starting point. Me, as a Ne dom, I find Ne works in tandem with my attention. I often find myself getting all these ideas about whatever topic when I'm distracteddoing something else, often driving for example. There's some balance in having to mind specific tasks that require a degree of attention, effectively rescuing from falling into a mental bottomless pit. Then, the remaining mental energy can be salvaged and directed to another topic, which usually happens (for me) as an unconscious process.

A different example is when listening to (and engaging in -- just being present and not minding what's being said nullifies the purpose) some lecture, Ne will branch out connecting dots and applying context-related POV to other contexts --basically doing it's thing- the key point here is, taking directive action at the purpose, in this case being going to the lecture and being exposed. Kind of applying a little Te to kick-start things.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

This is astute.

But how does one move away from this? My main problem is that I may consider a certain scenario (Ne) and yet, somehow, feel like the very imagining of this scenario may be disingenuous to another person / may make me seem "amoral" / may appear selfish to me.

I suppose this all boils down to "being easier" on myself; but how is that possible?