• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and rolling with it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking at this from an ENFP's perspective, but I'd like to hear other people's tendencies. ENFP's are supposed to be pretty flexible when it comes to dealing with changes, with winging it and going with the flow. I can't decide if this really applies to me.

I don't feel very nervous going into new situations at least not any more than I'm excited about it, except if something like public performance is involved.

Plan changes can bother me. Plans loom big in my mind. Either I'm looking forward to them or I dread them. When they don't go through, I'm either crestfallen and have trouble getting past it, or I'm elated and get a giant burst of energy.

When working on projects, I can get rigid. I have a specific vision and am not happy when that isn't achieved. If working in a group if that end vision needs to change because of 'practical' concerns, I can get grumpy :D.

Conversationally and verbally, I don't even know how to gauge this. I've got an ESFJ friend who's just sharp tongued and quick witted, I usually come up with witty responses, just a couple seconds too late. Of course if you're around him long enough, you figure that most of his responses are 'canned'. Sometimes I'm amazingly on, verbal sparring-wise, and sometimes I'm a mile away.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was thinking at this from an ENFP's perspective, but I'd like to hear other people's tendencies. ENFP's are supposed to be pretty flexible when it comes to dealing with changes, with winging it and going with the flow. I can't decide if this really applies to me.

I don't feel very nervous going into new situations at least not any more than I'm excited about it, except if something like public performance is involved.

Plan changes can bother me. Plans loom big in my mind. Either I'm looking forward to them or I dread them. When they don't go through, I'm either crestfallen and have trouble getting past it, or I'm elated and get a giant burst of energy.

When working on projects, I can get rigid. I have a specific vision and am not happy when that isn't achieved. If working in a group if that end vision needs to change because of 'practical' concerns, I can get grumpy :D.

Conversationally and verbally, I don't even know how to gauge this. I've got an ESFJ friend who's just sharp tongued and quick witted, I usually come up with witty responses, just a couple seconds too late. Of course if you're around him long enough, you figure that most of his responses are 'canned'. Sometimes I'm amazingly on, verbal sparring-wise, and sometimes I'm a mile away.

verbal sharpness for ENFPs comes with the development of Te. Ne + Te = unstoppable verbal bitch slap
as for change, it usually makes me think "finally a change of pace". other than that go, the change itself is the most important thing. if the change is getting a nicer apartment, getting a raise or going on vacation to Tahiti, I'm sold :D
that being said, I don' think I "just role with it" but simply because I don't like the wording

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I feel nervous about new situations where this is some judgment involved...ie. new job, a date, etc. Otherwise I like new experiences & tend to look forward to them.

I TOTALLY relate to this. I actually don't like to plan because then I have expectations. I like to keep things tentative so if it doesn't go through, I was already half expecting that. Strangely, the Js in my life make & cancel plans like it's nothing. Canceling plans really bugs me. I have to adjust myself to some kind of structure, and for me that is EFFORT. So I like to keep to plans, & I expect others to do so also. If I don't want to keep to a plan, then I don't make one.

When something is canceled that I didn't want to do, I also get excited. It's like freebie time or something.

Now, within a plan I can be flexible. Let's say you plan to go to dinner with friends & have to change the restaurant because the one you wanted is closed....that's no big deal to me. I roll with those changes.

Yeah, true of me as well....I think this is noted about NFs though; I know it's a feature on most INFP profiles.

I thought this was a Ne thing... The NFJs I know are so much quicker than I am, more connected to the social atmosphere. My brain is on another planet sometimes. I don't think this is introversion, because I've seen this with my ENTP dad. He seems very distracted at times, and other times he thinks he's a comedian & takes center stage in a social atmosphere.

Last edited:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I thought this was a Ne thing... The NFJs I know are so much quicker than I am, more connected to the social atmosphere. My brain on another planet sometimes. I don't think this is introversion, because I've seen this with my ENTP dad. He seems very distracted at times, and other times he thinks he's a comedian & takes center stage in a social atmosphere.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS ONLY ME. I just love discovering new things at MBTI forums.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have a horrible problem with realizing that I have to make a change in my life (ie a change is being forced upon me). But the anxiety/stress usually only lasts while everything is in limbo. Once the change has been decided on and made formal, I'm very good at seeing the silver lining in the change and embracing it.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm not an ENFP but as a fellow NP, I relate to much of this.

For me, I'm generally pretty flexible regarding changes of plans if I don't have too much personal investment in. If I've spent a huge amount of time and energy into a plan and it doesn't work out, then yes, that's irritating. If its something I particularly looked forward to and it doesn't work out then it can be disappointing. However, I am good at thinking up alternatives if the original plan doesn't work. If I had vacation plans to fly somewhere, for example, and the flight got cancelled- I could easily come up with some alternative vacation plan that I'd be happy with. Sure I'd be disappointed that I couldn't go to my original destination but I'd deal with it.

Oftentimes though, I relegate the planning and decision making to others so when plans change it's no big deal since I wasn't personally invested in it.

Regarding projects, if its a personal project of high importance to me, I do like control in all aspects and I have a vivid image of how the end result should be. So I can relate somewhat to the rigidity you describe.

Regarding conversation, I often find myself coming up with some good witty response too late. I think extraverts are better suited to thinking quickly on their feet in conversation.

KDude

I can roll with it... after biting my tongue and clinching my teeth.. exhausting my pesuasive skills.. or maybe yelling into a pillow.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
changes do not bother me, I am very flexible. Everyone at work do things differently and I just adapt to them. I never get set in with one way to do anything. I feel nervous when doing something new for the first time, If I don't know how to do the specific task or unknowledgeable of the parameters set but everyone else involved in said event I tend to keep my mouth shut and stay out of sight. Knowing of the event will keep me up at night rolling around thinking, "How should I approach this? Is there anyway of getting out of it?" What I am trying to say is, I can handle change with gusto as long as I know what I am doing, once I get out of my knowledge base I don't like it and I get very nervous.

When working on projects, I can get rigid. I have a specific vision and am not happy when that isn't achieved. If working in a group if that end vision needs to change because of 'practical' concerns, I can get grumpy.

I can relate to this, If I am in charge of a task that involves others I take charge and will do it myself if the group can not produce what I want.

If I got in a verbal sparring match with a rock... it would win. I can't come up with anything clever "on the fly" I will sometime come up with something like...6-7 hours later.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
if i'm doing something new, i'll roll with it, mainly so i can
observe and then i'll start constructing my own approach.

if it's something that i consider i know a fair bit about, i
enjoy seeing differing approaches, and i'll pick and deconstruct
the bits that i think would complement and build on what i have
already have. but i'm far less easy going in this realm and have
very little patience for ineptitude.

as for plans, if it's something already agreed on and there has
to be a change, it's not that i'm not flexible, i just don't like
inconveniences because i have a lot of stuff going on at the
same time, and if i made the effort to schedule it in, finding
another available slot is just you know, too many extra steps.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I can roll with it... after biting my tongue and clinching my teeth.. exhausting my pesuasive skills.. or maybe yelling into a pillow.
Whose pillow? I prefer to yell into my enemy's pillow, so that when they sleep, my negative energy invades their dreams.