• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Realizing I'm an INFJ.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if it's because things (beyond my control) are stressing me out or not, but I think I'm seeing my own true colors.

Lately I've been oddly pissed off at people, especially when they explode at me for asserting my boundaries/expectations, etc.

Another is that I realize that my default mindset is in "N mode" - I used to take it for granted, and assumed every person had the same, even sensors - but I'm realizing, to my amazement, that this isn't the case. Some people really do thiink about concrete, present literal reality rather than building mathematical/visual theories in my mind for what creates music as we know it, pondering about how a language can impact/reflect on culture (for instance - "lavar los manos" means "to wash THE hands", as opposed to "MY hands" - possibly point to a slight detachment from one's own body? Could that relate to the collectivist, group-oriented culture of most Latin countries?) Etc etc just a tiny sample....

Talking with people, I always try to fast forward all the obligatory small talk and get into meatier discussions - about economics, science, philosophy, etc. I'm not an expert authority on many topics, so I discuss more than debate. But I die a little inside when the person just has zero interest in talking about anything beyond the mechanical day-to-day life/niceties etc. So I learned to just keep those thoughts to myself, because no one's interested.

I'm not one of those asshats who think they're so profound, either (esp given that I had assumed *everyone* had a similarly abstract, future-oriented indset by default) - if anything, I find most of my thoughts and theories pretty fucking stupid, due to their whimsical/outlandish/undeveloped nature. But my mind persists, because I want to make sense of this world and uncover it in ways "los manos" cannot.

If anything, unless I'm being actively engaged (conversation, a task requiring me to focus on being careful with detail, etc) - I don't think of here-and-now things. (I have the shitty memory to go along with that - I love my planner dearly) Just more of an abstract thinker, but I think I was just encouraged by environment to develop my Se.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Se and I use it often, but I think I just overlooked the N I do use - and if that were to be deleted, I don't think I'd even "have" ("be"?) myself anymore.

Any other formerly-mistyped INFJs? What did you list yourself before as? Why? What made you realize that INFJ was correct? How sure are you now?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What made you decide INFJ over another N type?

KDude

I'm kind of wondering much of the same for myself.. maybe even ISFJ. It would seem that I don't contextualize issues as much as I see INFPs or ENFPs do. I try to take a holistic, well rounded view on life, but ultimately, I'm questing for singular truths to any given matter. I throw out a lot more instead of incorporate. I seem to be quicker to call things out as unjust or good or shitty or what have you. I like to get to the heart of the matter or think I've seen a pattern to something, rather than say anything or everything could be right. Or even if it's a small issue, I think I am more decisive in general. I'm not sure if this is more of a Introverted Percieving thing, or Introverted Judging, but whatever.

My interest in mbti has also lead me to look into Socionics a lot, and I think I may be Ni-Se valuing there too. It might help others to look into that too, if they're as confused as I am.

This goes without mentioning the higher number of friends I have that are STPs and SFPs. And my own (and sometimes unhealthy) wanna be SP side. Whatever that is.. apparently it's an NFJ thing.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What made you decide INFJ over another N type?

I think I do Ni/Se over Ne/Si (I think...I just know definitely Se over Si). And I use Fe, because it's simply necessary to get people on your side to get things done. It's amazing the lengths people will go to stand in your way or even fuck you over if they feel slighted. Animals.

I can't imagine being Fe-dom though, because they actually relish in tolerating that kind of BS. They don't just wield it as a practical, necessary eapon. It's their teddy bear.

All that leaves only INFJ: supposedly not easy to pin down, the most T of the F's, the most P's of the J's.

KDude

Actually, I should add that I fall within my own conception of an IP type just fine. ;D It's when I speak others that I doubt it.

It's not entirely my (or anyone's) fault though. Considering how many contrasting pictures that are painted of these types, even by professionals.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I should add that I fall within my own conception of an IP type just fine. ;D It's when I speak others that I doubt it.

It's not entirely my (or anyone's) fault though. Considering how many contrasting pictures that are painted of these types, even by professionals.

Do you mean contrast? Like contrasting something extreme/unhealthy with something moderate can make the moderate distance themselves from what they are and assume the other side?

That's a good point....my adoptive single father was an *extreme* and crackpot-ish Ni user. (but ENTJ not INFJ) And he pushed his own Ni concepts on me (like meditating for "enlightenment" etc etc. He also totally sneered at anything Se

As a result, I think I shunned Ni and held onto my Se for dear life.

KDude

Do you mean contrast? Like contrasting something extreme/unhealthy with something moderate can make the moderate distance themselves from what they are and assume the other side?

That's a good point....my adoptive single father was an *extreme* and crackpot-ish Ni user. (but ENTJ not INFJ) And he pushed his own Ni concepts on me (like meditating for "enlightenment" etc etc. He also totally sneered at anything Se

As a result, I think I shunned Ni and held onto my Se for dear life.

Err.. oops I mean it's when I learn more about types from others that I doubt I'm IFP.

As for contrast, I mean.. various viewpoints and books on typology contradict themselves. If I really think about it, I'm not sure what an IFP or IFJ is. Who's right? And what is the average reader supposed to believe? What is the correct INFJ and INFP description? Should one follow Jung or be loosely based on it? Or like some schools of thought, just completely throw him out and only give him the credit of discovering "Type". Further: How do I know another person I'm interacting with on Typology Central has read all of the books I have? They may be espousing type one school of thought and me another. At the end of the day, it doesn't seem to matter what type we are.. we're all just doing our own thing.

Lastly, even though MBTI has a governing body and official manual on Types, it still doesn't matter what type I say am. No doubt, I'll encounter someone or something that comes from left field and redefines everything. And at this point, I'm kind of tired of thinking about it.

Sorry for the mini rant. It's probably unnecessary.. :D

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could write a book ''ESTP to INFJ in 3 months'' :happy2: