• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs with Asperger's = What?

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, really interesting actually. A bit difficult separating factors, as usual, but, well. I used to think I had AS when I was younger because I'm so socially inhibited, but now I'm pretty sure I'm not.

My brother, on the other hand does have a diagnosis, and I do admit to sharing a lot of his features. I think he is probably an ENFJ - at least he's more E than I am, but that doesn't really say much... He did puzzle me a bit when I tried to type my family, so it's good to have some confirmation that I may very well be right about him being an NF.

I don't know to what extent it is 'my own' aspieness, or a result of growing up in a rather aspie-heavy environment, but I have definitely had a lot of the ambivalence/conflicts between a more rational and a more emotional side. In fact, it was only when I got into MBTI that it occurred to me how emotional I really was - something I had sort of repressed growing up.

I guess one thing to remember, as usual, is that there is a difference between preference and ability: I am very good at rational thought, but it is not my 'default mode', and I'm not very good at social interaction, but I wish I was because my mind is always centred on other people.

I read this article about how people with Asperger's syndrome or the autism spectrum are often related in families to people on the bipolar spectrum. There are actually some similarities between the two.
ooo this sounds very interesting... Seeing as my latest theory is that I'm ('mildly') bipolar (and this one seems a bit more corroborated by what people sometimes refer to as the 'outside' or 'real' world:))

quixoticcrush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm new here. I'm an Aspie and an INFJ. I got the diagnosis 5 years ago. I've taken many test over the past week and every single one of them came out with the INFJ result. I can tell you this, I hate change and I'm pretty good at picking up on emotions from other people through like a vibe rather than visual cue. I'm no good at visual cues, it's more like a spidey sense that I get. I feel it in my skin and I get the chills. It's weird and then my mood will change to whatever the mood of the atmosphere is. I'm also extremely expressive and my hands and face are constantly changing. I don't smile a lot though. I hate eye contact too so my eyes are always fluttering around. I don't like most people and prefer to talk animals because they don't judge my weirdness. I rarely stick up for myself. I usually wait till I'm alone to have a reaction to things because I'm too afraid of offending others or making them mad. When I do have an Aspie meltdown it's usually because of a build-up of everything that I've tried to suppress and I explode and really scare the people around me. That's awkward.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's cool reading these personal accounts.

F simply means you prioritize on value-based judgments... so I don't see inherent contradiction. Autism, as far as I understand it, is primarily a disorder of communication and interaction - internal/external exchange - whereas cognitive functions are entirely internal.

I mean, heck, I'm pretty socially oblivious sometimes and I'm a relatively neurotypical NF. :shrug:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm an Aspie INFP. I have all the usual autistic sensory issues and problems with understanding non-verbal communication. But I am definitely an Fi-Dom. I'm working on becoming a psychotherapist so I can help other people on the spectrum. :)

When I was a kid I was known as the boy who cried because they cut down a big pine tree in the schoolyard...

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My 24 year old brother was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 11 and identifies as ENFJ. He's a special education teacher working towards his masters and tours the country and contributes to books on the subject for educating educators on the disorder.
Your brother is awesome! I find that very encouraging for my dream to be a psychologist helping other autistic people. :D

yeghor

I thought NFs were all COMPLETELY unaware of their environments, especially INFPs.

INFJs have inferior Se... I have awareness of my physical environment but little ability to manipulate it... and I am sensitive to sensory overload...

I don't have Aspergers afaik...

----------

This movie is about Aspergers:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185836/

Aspies cannot recognize Fe... but do they have awareness of their feelings...i.e. Fi...?

yeghor

Actually, the stereotypical aspie is an ISTP. They have very strong extraverted sensing. It means you won't find them showing up as NF, or something is amiss.

A high Se would give people the ability to not be fazed with high sensory overload... A Se-inf would OTOH mean that the person can register Se data but is sensitive\allergic to it in high doses...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm new here. I'm an Aspie and an INFJ. I got the diagnosis 5 years ago. I've taken many test over the past week and every single one of them came out with the INFJ result. I can tell you this, I hate change and I'm pretty good at picking up on emotions from other people through like a vibe rather than visual cue. I'm no good at visual cues, it's more like a spidey sense that I get. I feel it in my skin and I get the chills. It's weird and then my mood will change to whatever the mood of the atmosphere is. I'm also extremely expressive and my hands and face are constantly changing. I don't smile a lot though. I hate eye contact too so my eyes are always fluttering around. I don't like most people and prefer to talk animals because they don't judge my weirdness. I rarely stick up for myself. I usually wait till I'm alone to have a reaction to things because I'm too afraid of offending others or making them mad. When I do have an Aspie meltdown it's usually because of a build-up of everything that I've tried to suppress and I explode and really scare the people around me. That's awkward.

interesting, I'm not aspie or anything, but I stuck at visual clues, and pick up on vibes like a gut feeling about someone or a situation, but if I look at a pic or was asked what the person was feeling by their expression I couldn't. I have to be physically present.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

interesting, I'm not aspie or anything, but I stuck at visual clues, and pick up on vibes like a gut feeling about someone or a situation, but if I look at a pic or was asked what the person was feeling by their expression I couldn't. I have to be physically present.

I've also realized the neurotypicals can have aspie traits.

Hotaru123

MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
I am aspie and pretty sure I am IEI, but I'm not sure about my MBTI type, since I do not identify very much with the descriptions of the MBTI's Feeling Types...

Enviado de meu XT1033 usando Tapatalk

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's very possible. Now I'm not sure what their diagnoses actually are, but two of my closest friends are INFPs and are on the spectrum (though I don't know the specifics of their diagnosis— one has only learned of it through contradictory, confusing information from his parents and the other has only ever mentioned it once- though she's hinted at it numerous times).

I've known people of a lot of different types on the spectrum.

My parents have also suspected that I (as an ENFP) could have aspbergers. I was tested when I was younger and it was still an official diagnosis. It literally ended in a psychiatric field equivalent of a hung jury. They threw it out because they couldn't decide whether it applied or not. I don't really think I have it though.