• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Extroversion, introversion, and ambiverts.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm just saying that it's more likely you're an ambivert than an extrovert or introvert.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just saying that it's more likely you're an ambivert than an extrovert or introvert.
Down with the snark, I didn't discount the possibility. Just pointing out how I thought I was introverted. I get the feeling you thought I was some newbie who had no idea.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*raises hand*

Ambivert, present.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Down with the snark, I didn't discount the possibility. Just pointing out how I thought I was introverted. I get the feeling you thought I was some newbie who had no idea.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, you know. I didn't think you were some noob. You have over a 1000 posts on here; I hope you know a thing or two about MBTI! :wink: I was just trying to bring in some plausibility. You seem like you're trying to decide whether you're an extrovert or introvert, and I'm trying to say that you may not have to if you're in the middle like most people.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, maybe I was projecting. I feel like a bit of a dumb arse, having never seriously questioned it before.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, how is this ambivert thing supposed to work? Are you actually supposed to be able to shift function preferences? Is it something supported by MBTI theory?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, it's not supported by MBTI, seeing as it is based on dichotomies. As for functions, well, I'm not actually tweaking those. My function order was right in front of me.

From wikipaedia:
[edit]Ambiversion
Although many people view being introverted or extraverted as a question with only two possible answers, most contemporary trait theories (e.g. the Big Five) measure levels of extraversion-introversion as part of a single, continuous dimension of personality, with some scores near one end, and others near the half-way mark.[9] Ambiversion is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups.[4][10] An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You've been kinda undecided about E/I in the past too, haven't you?

Yup. Some still consider me INFP on here (and sometimes even INFJ, but that's another matter), and I do relate to both descriptions depending on my mood and the situation in front of me. I even at some point showed both descriptions to my INTJ ( who has no interest in MBTI whatsoever), and left out the types, and he went: those are both you, just on a different day or even a different moment :shrug:

I find I just use different NF types in different situations, to adjust. Though my overall preference seems to be (when nobody is putting any pressure on me, I'll go for ENFP). Being around people though triggers INFJ, especially in large groups and if I don't have the energy for it, INFP. Given it's a group I know well and is relatively small in size, I'll go for ENFP. When a group is on a mission and its floundering about, it costs me all the energy I have, but I try to go ENFJ. Usually, I'm not nearly as smooth as an ENFJ naturally is though. I use INFP to recuperate and process stuff, and write.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From wikipaedia:
[edit]Ambiversion
Although many people view being introverted or extraverted as a question with only two possible answers, most contemporary trait theories (e.g. the Big Five) measure levels of extraversion-introversion as part of a single, continuous dimension of personality, with some scores near one end, and others near the half-way mark.[9] Ambiversion is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups.[4][10] An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd.

Among all extroverts group, does it only apply to ENFP?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, how is this ambivert thing supposed to work? Are you actually supposed to be able to shift function preferences? Is it something supported by MBTI theory?

I don't think you are cognitively ambiverted, ever, but in terms of the more straight-forward Keirsey-type E/I you could surely be ambiverted.

In order to be cognitively ambiverted you'd have to have an equal grasp of both the dom/aux function, and use them interchangeably. I just don't think that happens.

But I think absolutely in terms of the four dichotomies I'm a real ambivert. It was actually the Keirsey test where I was perfectly 50/50 on E/I. Also when I took the official MBTI it spit out INFP then changed it to ENFP after I answered a few more questions.

I think the theories may overlap a bit, though. Even in Keirsey's Temperaments I felt like an almost equal mixture between NF and SP and neither one perfectly, and was only one point difference between NF and SP on the Temperament test in the back of the book (which is different than the four dichotomy inventory). Surprise suprise that I also mixed up Ne and Se in function theory.

This is something else, though I'm getting into.

I think healthy people are actually closer to ambivert, anyway, which is what I believe wildcat was saying. People who are extreme extroverts or extreme introverts aren't very balanced, and are possibly in dom/tert loops...or they're just young and haven't developed their opposite functions as much.

rav3n

Yup. Some still consider me INFP on here (and sometimes even INFJ, but that's another matter), and I do relate to both descriptions depending on my mood and the situation in front of me. I even at some point showed both descriptions to my INTJ ( who has no interest in MBTI whatsoever), and left out the types, and he went: those are both you, just on a different day or even a different moment :shrug:

I find I just use different NF types in different situations, to adjust. Though my overall preference seems to be (when nobody is putting any pressure on me, I'll go for ENFP). Being around people though triggers INFJ, especially in large groups and if I don't have the energy for it, INFP. Given it's a group I know well and is relatively small in size, I'll go for ENFP. When a group is on a mission and its floundering about, it costs me all the energy I have, but I try to go ENFJ. Usually, I'm not nearly as smooth as an ENFJ naturally is though. I use INFP to recuperate and process stuff, and write.
The bolded is most likely what you are then, where the others are different coping techniques.

Did you read the two bits about inferior Si and Te? That's how I finally pegged my type between INTJ and ENTJ by reading up on what how inferior functions manifest. Info was provided by Kasper. My inferior Fi is obvious, at least to me. And since I'm mid-thirties, I've got Se well under control as tert.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The bolded is most likely what you are then, where the others are different coping techniques.

Did you read the two bits about inferior Si and Te? That's how I finally pegged my type between INTJ and ENTJ by reading up on what how inferior functions manifest. Info was provided by Kasper. My inferior Fi is obvious, at least to me. And since I'm mid-thirties, I've got Se well under control as tert.

Yup. For me it's harder to pinpoint them as I am really lousy Te-wise (I'm scared of developing it, really) and have a lot of inferior Si anxiety type issues. However, I found that I'm ENFP when I look at the function roles (dom, aux, tert, inferior, even the shadow functions). I'm an idiot when it comes to Ti, I resent Fe naturally, I am very selfdestructive Se-wise and I reach out to people with Fi values, while cruising the world with Ne.

Still, I see the multiple ENFps on here being resilient, using Te, bouncing back and off the walls and I wonder...I prefer staying at home, not having to burden others, not having to be 'on' socially and just researching, building and enriching my inner world, refining my Fi...writing. As much as I'm intrigued by people, crowds especially give me a head ache.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4

Supported isn't a good word to use. I'd ask whether or not it's consistent with MBTI, and the answer would be no. I think being an ambivert and being an E or an I are compatible. You can be socially ambiverted but have a preference for either Ti or Ne as your dominant function. I don't really see the contradiction here.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to try on an eNFP suit for a while, see how it sits. Maybe I'm just a very reserved one.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was looking at a thread on some other personality forum about this, in part, and about enneagram. It was suggested that type 6s tend to be ambiverts. Anyone have comments about that? Is it wavering between phobic and counter-phobic? (sorry if this has been commented on already, haven't read the whole thread.)

[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION], you also identify as 6 so you might have something to say about that - although you are a very different type/different functions from me. You come across as pretty extroverted to me, but some of how you describe yourself sounds quite strongly introverted too.

I'm sure from self-study that I am INFJ, and I generally test as such on the various tests. I've occasionally had ISFJ, INFP, or ENFJ. I think ENFJ is the only "extrovert" result I have ever had. I attribute that to strong Fe. I certainly do relate a lot to ENFJs - in some cases more than to other INFJs, I've often found that on this forum - but I would be less inclined to spread myself thin with different people (though circumstances dictate that I sometimes do, and I do have quite a wide circle of friends and acquaintances and enjoy it although it poses challenges too.)

I certainly gather more of my energy from retreating, although at the moment I don't feel like I'm gathering much energy from anywhere, despite being massively in retreat. I would say in any case though that generally (when I'm feeling healthy and balanced) I am quite an extroverted introvert. Even to the extent that some people somehow get the impression that I'm a party girl with millions of friends. I've even had the weird experience of having extroverts of types such as ESTJ and ENTJ think that I'm far more outgoing than they are (these types, or certainly these individuals, seem to be the sort who connect quickly and easily with people, but don't really extend themselves much to make deep and long-lasting friendships, so they might say of themselves "I don't have many friends" or "I can't be bothered", while saying of me "you've got tons of friends" or "you're always out socializing, aren't you.")