• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ obsessing about an issue

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Do other INFJ's do this?

If an issue is bothering me, I will go around and around with it in my brain. It becomes an obsession, and it's like a dog chewing on a bone, over and over and over again.

Then out of the blue - bang! - an idea or solution will hit me, and then I am perfectly happy and let the issue go.

V

violaine

Yes. My conceptualizing is always goal oriented and I prefer as much closure as possible. It's very satisfying to think something through to it's conclusion. Even when you don't know that you are thinking it through! I know that my mind must often be working away at something in the background that has caught my attention because I have a lot of a-ha moments.

In the more earthbound realm of personal relationships, it prob makes me a bit of a pain as I typically don't let things go until I have all of the creases ironed out.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do other INFJ's do this?

If an issue is bothering me, I will go around and around with it in my brain. It becomes an obsession, and it's like a dog chewing on a bone, over and over and over again.

Then out of the blue - bang! - an idea or solution will hit me, and then I am perfectly happy and let the issue go.

Oh, that sounds like a classic Ni-Ti-Ni-Ti endless loop (assuming if you're talking about personal issues btw). :(

I just had experienced this a few days ago, and it isn't pretty. Thank God it's resolved now!

The out-of-the-blue bang rarely happens and it takes numerous patience to master it, at least for my case. For me, during the Ni-Ti loop, I just focusing on seeking for closure, and sometimes will do anything in power to have it settle once and for all. Perhaps that's when I started to sound a little emotional, or needy, through pleading (usually in forms of writing) once when my Ni-Fi runs in hyper mode that I kept speculating on all the "invalid possibilities" non-stop. It's a true mind-wreck, I'm telling you. Sigh.

And if that didn't work out, the Ni-Ti loops start all over again until I get physically worn out, and even sick without able to sleep well, or losing appetite "entirely," it's a hell of a nightmare.

I even go so far to not eating for days (four to be precise) as I was severely depressed and all.

I'm not sure about INFJs, but this is probably the reason why I tried my best to not get into any conflict as I can not tolerate emotional pain whenever I'd experienced one.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, that sounds like a classic Ni-Ti-Ni-Ti endless loop (assuming if you're talking about personal issues btw). :(

I just had experienced this a few days ago, and it isn't pretty. Thank God it's resolved now!

The out-of-the-blue bang rarely happens and it takes numerous patience to master it, at least for my case. For me, during the Ni-Ti loop, I just focusing on seeking for closure, and sometimes will do anything in power to have it settle once and for all. Perhaps that's when I started to sound a little emotional, or needy, through pleading (usually in forms of writing) once when my Ni-Fi runs in hyper mode that I kept speculating on all the "invalid possibilities" non-stop. It's a true mind-wreck, I'm telling you. Sigh.

And if that didn't work out, the Ni-Ti loops start all over again until I get physically worn out, and even sick without able to sleep well, or losing appetite "entirely," it's a hell of a nightmare.

I even go so far to not eating for days (four to be precise) as I was severely depressed and all.

I'm not sure about INFJs, but this is probably the reason why I tried my best to not get into any conflict as I can not tolerate emotional pain whenever I'd experienced one.

Yup. All of this. +10000

If I do land in such a situation I'll probably have the extreme obsessing (not able to eat, exhaustion, nearly unable to think of anything else) for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Then it'll go on at a somewhat lower level for months. Then a lower level again for years if I don't get closure.

Hideous. I don't let myself be a complete victim of it any more though. It's just nasty and unhealthy. THere are ways to shorten the process, but not enough.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I get a lot of "bang" moments from life issues, but not necessarily personal issues. Those tend to be less easy to resolve.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I get a lot of "bang" moments from life issues, but not necessarily personal issues. Those tend to be less easy to resolve.

Exactly.

Most of my "A-ha" moment are from life issues, with quite a lengthy amount of time of pondering things over.

Unfortunately, that rarely happens in personal/emotional issues.

nomoreshallwepart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I definitely obsess over things, I often worry about things and then when they come around, it's not so bad.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I may not wallow in things right away unless something is serious. If something major comes up, it will slowly build up, and I need time to process. Especially if something hurtful was said. Once I get past the part that there is a problem, I tend to harp on things for a while. I know it's not a healthy way to be but it's the way that I naturally am. If someone has hurt me or I worry about something, I tend to perseverate and not let go of it for a long time, and I need a lot of time to heal.