• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What is the (Practical) Purpose of INFPs?

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
There is none.

We cause pain and destruction wherever we go. Not intentionally. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

BURN THEM ALL.

Agreed.

(actually I love INFPs but have thus far had nothing but terrible experiences with them in relationships, because they've been the only type I've had relationships with.)

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Everyone is so unique and different. I'm 40.

Recently I've had much improvements. I did set up my final bills on autopay last week. Also, I restructured my duties at work. I gave other people duties I was doing that frustrated me, and took on duties other people were doing which frustrated me because they were failing. Now things are repaired, but can things be recovered? I'm not sure. I'm going to try. That is, the ship is still going towards the waterfall, but the methods of propulsion have been fixed. Oh man, I feel so much better.

As for domestic tasks, I'm not real great. In fact being a domestic care-taker for retarded adults was the only job where I was fired.

Yesterday my meals were 2 pounds of bacon cooked in the microwave, along with two stoffer's microwave spagetti dinners for lunch. Also, around one and half gallons of soy milk.

Today I'm not sure. I'm not quite hungry enough yet to deploy the energy to put things in the microwave.

I did check on the fish. Next I will feed the fish. Most of my JOBS invovled caring for plants or animals. My Masters degree is in Aquaculture, which involves nuturing anything that grows in the water. In my case, I was probably born with "fish empathy". I empathically know what is wrong with plants or fish. One characteristic which is contrary to classical INFP/ INTP is that I'm observant.

A major complaint is that I'm messy. I'm trying to improve, but I'll walk right past trash I threw on the ground...indefinitely...but notice very slight differences in fish behavior. I was a gardener before I came here (for five years), but when I got here, my bonsai all died because I became rapped up in the fish.

Earlier this morning I took out a big drawing tablet and made a list. I looked at what ponds I want to drain, and where I would move fish and where I would add water and where I would add chemicals or fertilizer. This is some sort of explosion of Te? I guess so. I think making these sorts of lists is essential.

Oh, Huxley: I go buy clothes instead of dealing with the laundry monster. Recently I went to Wally world and bought around 45 38 gallon plastic tubs for dealing and organizing the laundry and other monsters.

Saturned: :heart: I hope you find more. I went to the "aquarium of the Americas" 8 times, includig 2 "behind the scenes" tours. We helped feed the sharks one day. I'm not sure the status of the Aquarium since Katrina. What I found out is that that place had about four well-paid positions that were primarily veterinarians, and then a few hourly staff, and a waiting list for volunteering. Lots of those sorts of places have volunteering.

Naturally, I'd need to "be you" in order to find something. Me, I went and applied to places that interested me. My first job out of graduate school was found by calling a number on a post it note stuck to a bulletin board of the fisheries building at the university. My current job was found on an aquaculture jobs website.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I cringe at the emoness of the title and the following paragraph(s), but I am being quite serious.

One reason for my inquiry is because I have been looking into different career ideas for myself, and I feel bombarded with a sense of "nothing practical applies to me."

Another reason is a "compliment" I got from an ENTP friend of mine recently who said "Saturned, you would make an awesome girlfriend because you are lots of fun.... but a terrible wife because you wouldn't do the iron my shirts and home cooked breakfast deal." I didn't even know how to reply other than to look like this:

lowls_lol_wut_20_more_Lowlz-s450x316-166726-580.jpg

But it did get me thinking about how practical am I, really? (For it is true, I loathe ironing, and while I love cooking, I am not confident that I can whip out 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and 60 years of a marriage without needing a lobotomy.)

Disclaimer: I don't ask this in that I seek external validation for who I am because I am pretty happy with how I have turned out so far. I just sincerely want to know what others think about INFPs, and INFPs themselves, and if there is a practical application to our glittery, pegasus riding selves.

TL;DR:
Please share your opinions, both good and bad, about INFPs or glitter or unicorns or something.

I dont think you are really looking at it from a practical viewpoint, just from a vision of the future, where you are interpreting this future, from the perception of who you are in the here and now. But that may vary from your own perception of yourself in the future.

So you hate ironing and cooking 7 days a week? Then find something to fill the rest of your waking hours that will enable you to do these "day to day routines" with a smile on your face.

Realizing the trites of day to day life and then ignore them in the hope it disappears is impractical. Its not being a specific personality type that makes one impractical.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
The top manager in my department is most likely an INFP. He does what he is good at and delegates the rest to other managers. I think you can be practical when the motivation is there.

A

Anew Leaf

Sometimes it's not about a 'specific career path'. Look outside of 'career' when considering what things an INFP can offer the world. I personally think that many INTP's and INFP's have a gift for teaching, instructing, informing, offering fresh insight and perspective into the problems/situation of life - and insight/perspective into life itself. When I mention these things - like teaching for instance - I don't "necessarily" mean in a classroom or even in a group setting. Think about the 1-on-1 discussions you have with your friends and family members. Undoubtedly, without even realizing it, you have offered them very helpful insights and perspectives throughout your relationships with them - you have taught them. Because of the curious nature of INxP's - always questioning, always digging, always turning over the next rock to see what might be underneath it, always observing, always considering, contemplating, pondering, etc, we are many times able to offer a unique perspective that many others would not have considered.

Think about ESxx types - they love being part of the "action" of life. It's been my experience that they can teach us many things about being practical and productive, and even about interacting with people. But, it's also been my experience that we can teach them by offering our unique perspective, things that they may have never even considered before. We are the ones standing back, away from the action and observing. That approach to life automatically gives a different perspective, a different world-view if you will, from the person who is action oriented. So, we can help them, they can help us. I think INTP's can teach, instruct, inform, and offer insight/perspective to others in regards to "things", "stuff", systems, how to think through problems, etc. But, INFP's can do all those same things as it pertains to people, humanity, compassion, forgiveness (!!), etc. The non-logic side of things. While the INTP is more geared toward justice and truth, the INFP is more geared towards mercy and the subjective side of life. Both have their place. To embrace one and reject the other would be to sacrifice something. Both viewpoints are necessary in this world.

By understanding who you are and what traits you possess that are unique to this world, only then can you begin to look at careers that will enable you to use those traits. What career will enable you (or give you an avenue) to teach, instruct, inform, offer insight, offer perspective, etc? Writers are able to do those things through their writing. Counselors are able to do those things. Therapists. Speakers. Aquarium/shark tank tour guides can teach, educate, and inform people about the shark kingdom. These are all very real, practical, and tangible careers. People do these things every day and you too have access to these careers. Also remember, however, that your career - no matter which one you choose - will never FULLY encompass who you are. When you go home on the weekends or when you are with friends and family and even encounters with strangers - you are still able to teach, instruct, offer insight/perspective, etc.

Purpose = 24/7/365
Career = 9-to-5 or some other limited amount of hours.

Try to line up career with purpose so that they blend in nicely with who you are and what you enjoy doing. :D

First paragraph revisited with nonmush brain: I hadn't thought to reframe this in terms of practicality. But now that you point it out I can see tons of example cropping up in my mind from friends and family who have said "Oh... I never thought X before... hmm..." It seems I am the one who has dismissed myself as being not so practical versus other people.

Second paragraph: Yes, I have been fortunate enough to have several INTPs in my life who offer incredible advice and the ability to perceive the true heart of a problem. Example, I was given excellent advice on how to know when it's time for me to put my pet bunny down who is very old. "God made bunnies to hop, and they need to hop" is my paraphrasing of that excellent advice. Well, the bunny isn't able to hop very well lately so what once was a difficult concept and decision to make, has been made easier because the path is easier. I should thank this INTP. :)

Yay! My penchant for mercy has its place in this world! :D :yesss: Victory is mine! (But iz ok, becuz ah will be merciful.)

Third paragraph: Also very important consideration to not let career stuff run my entire life. I am currently leaning towards writer because that is my secret secret wish and dream. I just get in my way because I fear failure. And failure doesn't mean not getting published... Spending 10 minutes and BN convinces me that a carrot who is tall enough to reach a keyboard can be published... it's more of a pressure to create something incredible and amazing and successful and the greatest thing written evah... And so then I sit down with these ridiculous expectations and stare at the blank word document and decide that what I really need in order to write is to do some research on wikipedia or a nap or something. :whistling:

Perhaps my purpose is to just be all INFP and impractical and bizarre and dreamy and full of glitter.

*goes off to buy :uni:*

A

Anew Leaf

Also, sometimes easier said than done, but try to approach it from other people's perspective as well. Instead of viewing it only from the perspective of "what job will make ME happy", view it from the perspective of "what does the world need me to do? What can I offer?" Who do you think would do a better job:

(a) the Congressman who gets into politics because he knows he has the ability and the drive and the knowledge to make a positive impact on the nation, the state, and his constituants, the people he serves and represents.
(b) the Congressman who gets into politics because it'd be cool, he'd have lots of power, prestige, and a good pension, and be well known.

I'd argue that some of the problems you see in politics today (world, national, state, local, university, etc.) are because too many people approached their career with perspective (b). If you can realize your unique talents and skills and then parlay those things into something that focuses on benefitting the world around you and the people living in it, then I think things fall into place quite nicely. Not only are you benefitting the world and people in it, you'll end up happy yourself.

I'd point out that power corrupts and that:

powerdemotivationalposter.jpg

:D

But in all seriousness, I like that viewpoint as well. Ultimately what makes me happiest is a mix of creativity, making other people feel better, and fulfilling the need to have meaning in my life. Which when I am creative or helping others... I feel fulfilled and that my life is worthwhile and meaningful, etc. It's a circle of happiness!

And circles are wonderfully happy. Especially when they combine to form a...... VENN DIAGRAM!

tumblr_kp3fl0sISf1qz4ueho1_500.jpg

A

Anew Leaf

P.S. Thank you to everyone who has replied! :D I will reply more later when I have a bit more time.

In the meantime I spent 2 hours at BN last night and I solved part of my "problem" by purchasing books in a variety of subjects:

• Textbook on writing that I can use to create some much needed discipline.
  • Magazine on how to write for children and the age group that loves Twilight.
  • A book called "God is in the small stuff." My favorite excerpt is about how God orchestrated the "wild dance of plants and universes that we have yet to explore".... My dream of the afterlife may come true after all!!! (I wantz to explorez ze universez.)
  • 2 books by Frederick Buechner. I haven't heard of this guy before but his books (at first glance) seem to be very INP in nature. :D
  • 2 fiction novels to dazzle my brain with candy.

Can nothing be cured by a trip to a bookstore? I have my doubts. Oh, I also went to Sephora and got make-up and bubble bath that smells like cotton candy... :drool:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
The top manager in my department is most likely an INFP. He does what he is good at and delegates the rest to other managers. I think you can be practical when the motivation is there.

Exactly! A point I clearly missed in my post above. Good to have a Not_Me

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
When I was a kid I had a few different dream-jobs in mind. Time and experience verified those dreams. Some of them crushed and are now nice party stories. But one of them persisted and got stronger. It gave me a good, sound career - I love it and it's useful for others :). I think for us INFPs it's good to keep our dreams but let them be cleaned by reality.

As to what your friend says - I have a feeling that he's not that good with practicalities of life himself. If he was well endowed in that area, he wouldn't need anybody else to do it for him ;).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I forgot the serious reply! :doh:

Ironing? Why? :shock:

After 5-10 years, most men find that the "perfect wife" has become the "boring wife," which leads to Wife 2.0. Things are much easier for everyone if Wife 1.0 works out well.

Pegasus riding is pretty exciting stuff. I know I don't really care too much about how practical someone is, just so that they can deal with reality on their own once in a while. :laugh: There are way too many people who are over-practical anyway.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Douche.

You can pay people to iron things, and breakfast out means no washing dishes and an endless variety of options. The ENTP-friend stance is full of fail.

Marriage/relationships are not about what practical things the other person can do for you.

Your friend is no true Scotsman, a true ENTP would recognise that fun trumps practical, what's more, if you are currently able to take care of yourself without requiring intervention in the form of a nurse clothing or feeding you then you can continue to do so in a relationship without being reliant on the other person taking over those tasks.

ENTP-friend wants a wife who can double as a house-maid, no issues, there are women out there who would enjoy doing those things for their husband, but women who do not are not therefore bad marriage material, they're just not right for men who want a wife to play that role.

My father, and an ex-housemate were INFP and neither would run a successful maids business, oh no they wouldn't, but they were fun and interesting which unlike the former are not things that you can buy.

Douche. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but :yes:

I agree with Kasper. This isn't Fiddler on the Roof; your value as a spouse is much more than whether you can cook/clean/fan your hubby with a palmtree leaf. :hug:

Last edited:
A

Anew Leaf

INFP's make great parents because they are so in touch with their children's feelings. Do you remember Mr. Roger's Neighborhood? He was an INFP, and charmed millions of children on TV. INFP's are so creative. You just need to find a job that will use your creativity and give you a nice ISTJ secretary to take care of the details.

I loved Mr. Rogers! :) He was my most favorite to watch ever. I think I need to hire an INTJ to make the big bad business decisions for me, an INTP to help me create fun, and an ISTJ to do my accounting for me. :D

Cook, clean and iron clothes? Bah. A maid can do those things, but they can't provide spousal nurturing and deep bonding*. Think about that. ;) :hug:

Don't you know? If you can't turn your natural talents into a high-paying career, you are unworthy of love or compassion. Get on with the program, maggot! :rules:

* Unless they are the love interest in a certain genre of anime. But then they'd be robots or aliens as well. Can't win 'em all... :shrug:

Hmm, I think you missed the sign at the entrance to this thread which said "Be nice to the INTPs who post here for they are brave and full of knowledge."

I think you should re-phrase his statement and say you wouldn't be a stereotypical wife... Which is anything, but bad.

Douche.

You can pay people to iron things, and breakfast out means no washing dishes and an endless variety of options. The ENTP-friend stance is full of fail.

Marriage/relationships are not about what practical things the other person can do for you.

Your friend is no true Scotsman, a true ENTP would recognise that fun trumps practical, what's more, if you are currently able to take care of yourself without requiring intervention in the form of a nurse clothing or feeding you then you can continue to do so in a relationship without being reliant on the other person taking over those tasks.

ENTP-friend wants a wife who can double as a house-maid, no issues, there are women out there who would enjoy doing those things for their husband, but women who do not are not therefore bad marriage material, they're just not right for men who want a wife to play that role.

My father, and an ex-housemate were INFP and neither would run a successful maids business, oh no they wouldn't, but they were fun and interesting which unlike the former are not things that you can buy.

Douche. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but :yes:

I texted his wife today asking what he meant by the comment. Apparently he was trying to give me a compliment on that he thinks I am awesome, but then halfway through it wanted to give his ESTJ wife a compliment at the same time and pretty much botched the entire episode. We've suggested that he needs to just stick to physics. ;)

However, it did give me some food for thought on practicality! :D And it is nice to know others think similarly to me, in that I don't view a husband in terms of simple practicality. Ie, I am not looking for a golden goose.

Psychology can be practical and is something recommended for INFPs. And I'm studying that. Psychologists can work in human resources, and that can give plenty of money, if you get a good job. But we have to remember that it would be in a corporation (is that word right?), and I guess INFPs may not usually feel confortable in places like that. They can also work in clinics, and I'm not sure of the incomes, but I think they can be good...

I don't think I could be a housewife without going crazy... I just don't like doing the house chores... Even haveing a job, I'd rather try hard to save some money to pay someone to do those things to me, or sharing the chores with someone, like my husband. My husband will have to share the chores with me. I just won't do everything alone - if I have to, I'd rather stay single... ><

About unicorns, I like them. I like Charlie, the unicorn.

Yeah, I do enjoy psychology as well! I think at some point I will want to be a counselor, but maybe the reason I have misgivings on it is that it isn't right for me right now. I just really like listening to people (well, those I care about at least! :D) and helping them see a more cheerful perspective (if able) or give them a shoulder to cry on (if unable).

I don't mind cleaning my house, but I am also cleaning my house for me. And I am alone when I do it and I can sing along to music and dance with my broom if I so choose.... :D

P.S. Your unicorn sounds nice. :)

does snuggling count as a practical use?
:hug: :hug: :hug:

It could but is only acceptable with a select group of people. :ninja:

P.S. I think we need a new emoticon ([MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]) that is a Fi ninja.

There is none.

We cause pain and destruction wherever we go. Not intentionally. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

BURN THEM ALL.

5998997245_c8a9862741_b.jpg

One friend once told me there are 2 types of people; the ones that work because they like their work and the ones that work in order to do what they like. Thing is, the best risk/reward route probably won't the the most fun route. Getting a liberal arts degree may be fun, but it is gonna be much riskier than an engineering degree.
I opted for the best risk/reward route. I plan to do what I really like doing in the future but my main concern is getting settled. I think you would make a great writer. At the same time, the route is riskier.
INFPs have a lot of potential. They just lack confidence sometimes. :)

There Are Only 10 Types of People in the World: Those Who Understand Binary, and Those Who Don't.

But seriously... Yeah, I am not much for taking risks. That is definitely a spot where I need to grow in. I get stuck in a cautious loop trying to see every possibility and then plan for each one instead of just choosing something and seeing what happens.

I can minimize the risks per se by incorporating writing into my current life and seeing if there is a point at where I am actually losing money by not quitting my day job. :)

Immediately my mind has already begun culling new ideas for stories. I have two novel ideas that are cultivating in my mind (one since 2000, *cough*) but I think it would be a good plan for me to start fresh and get something started. I know that the best way to get into the novel arena is to write short stories, so I think I shall start there.

Agreed.

(actually I love INFPs but have thus far had nothing but terrible experiences with them in relationships, because they've been the only type I've had relationships with.)

All* INFPs are awesome. But some are far more awesome than others.

*Any non-awesome INFPs you encounter are not, in fact, actual INFPs. They are something else entirely.

Also :hug: to you for your bad week.

NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM!

That is all.

Meh. The NT inside of me always scoffed at him. However, I guess he does do some rather nifty stuff in the last book.

I accept your answer.

Edit: I use the word "actually" WAY TOO MUCH. :doh:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread is interesting. :nerd:

My BFF is an INFP and her strengths are completely opposite mine. She has innate skills in diplomacy and conflict-resolution that I am very sorely lacking. She's good at persuading people with her passion. That same passion leads her to throw her entire self into projects related to what she believes in. (We're both dedicated hard workers, just for different reasons.) While I'm not sure how to "market" them, these are useful skills/attributes.

Hope this helps. :blush:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
but your honesty and kindness will win over people and help the workplace become better for everybody

QFT - not many people have these skills and they are invaluable in any (work) environment. I certainly would bring them up during an interview, not as a way to maket yourselves per se, but simply as an honest representation of who you are.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmm, I think you missed the sign at the entrance to this thread which said "Be nice to the INTPs who post here for they are brave and full of knowledge."

Eek, sorry! I was jesting...

WQ4yP.gif

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There Are Only 10 Types of People in the World: Those Who Understand Binary, and Those Who Don't.

:hifive:
I can minimize the risks per se by incorporating writing into my current life and seeing if there is a point at where I am actually losing money by not quitting my day job. :)
That's a very nice idea! We have to minimize risks. I could have said ''Just do whatever you feel like doing'' but when you don't have a plan b things can go wrong quickly.

Immediately my mind has already begun culling new ideas for stories. I have two novel ideas that are cultivating in my mind (one since 2000, *cough*) but I think it would be a good plan for me to start fresh and get something started. I know that the best way to get into the novel arena is to write short stories, so I think I shall start there.
Whoa, since 2000? :D Must be intresting. Sounds like you have a good plan already. :)
You remind Erica, from Being Erica. NFP, check, cool, check, decides to write by her 30s, check. How awesome is that! Except that she can go back in time and you can't. :(
An interesting tv serie. :)

A

Anew Leaf

Everyone is so unique and different. I'm 40.

Recently I've had much improvements. I did set up my final bills on autopay last week. Also, I restructured my duties at work. I gave other people duties I was doing that frustrated me, and took on duties other people were doing which frustrated me because they were failing. Now things are repaired, but can things be recovered? I'm not sure. I'm going to try. That is, the ship is still going towards the waterfall, but the methods of propulsion have been fixed. Oh man, I feel so much better.

As for domestic tasks, I'm not real great. In fact being a domestic care-taker for retarded adults was the only job where I was fired.

Yesterday my meals were 2 pounds of bacon cooked in the microwave, along with two stoffer's microwave spagetti dinners for lunch. Also, around one and half gallons of soy milk.

Today I'm not sure. I'm not quite hungry enough yet to deploy the energy to put things in the microwave.

I did check on the fish. Next I will feed the fish. Most of my JOBS invovled caring for plants or animals. My Masters degree is in Aquaculture, which involves nuturing anything that grows in the water. In my case, I was probably born with "fish empathy". I empathically know what is wrong with plants or fish. One characteristic which is contrary to classical INFP/ INTP is that I'm observant.

A major complaint is that I'm messy. I'm trying to improve, but I'll walk right past trash I threw on the ground...indefinitely...but notice very slight differences in fish behavior. I was a gardener before I came here (for five years), but when I got here, my bonsai all died because I became rapped up in the fish.

Earlier this morning I took out a big drawing tablet and made a list. I looked at what ponds I want to drain, and where I would move fish and where I would add water and where I would add chemicals or fertilizer. This is some sort of explosion of Te? I guess so. I think making these sorts of lists is essential.

Oh, Huxley: I go buy clothes instead of dealing with the laundry monster. Recently I went to Wally world and bought around 45 38 gallon plastic tubs for dealing and organizing the laundry and other monsters.

Saturned: :heart: I hope you find more. I went to the "aquarium of the Americas" 8 times, includig 2 "behind the scenes" tours. We helped feed the sharks one day. I'm not sure the status of the Aquarium since Katrina. What I found out is that that place had about four well-paid positions that were primarily veterinarians, and then a few hourly staff, and a waiting list for volunteering. Lots of those sorts of places have volunteering.

Naturally, I'd need to "be you" in order to find something. Me, I went and applied to places that interested me. My first job out of graduate school was found by calling a number on a post it note stuck to a bulletin board of the fisheries building at the university. My current job was found on an aquaculture jobs website.

Auto pay for bills was designed for P's. So much loveliness occurs when I can just have everything paid automatically.

Once I get back from vacation I am going to restructure how my business is run. There are too many things that I am doing that I absolutely despise, but don't necessarily have to be the one doing them. It will be a good task for my J's to handle. :D I'm currently spending more time on the creative aspects here and that is proving to be much win.

Interesting in regards to the aquarium. There isn't too much by me that could fit for that, but it's definitely a good idea to think about! I might just need to treat myself to a day at the zoo or something. :mrtoothy:

I dont think you are really looking at it from a practical viewpoint, just from a vision of the future, where you are interpreting this future, from the perception of who you are in the here and now. But that may vary from your own perception of yourself in the future.

So you hate ironing and cooking 7 days a week? Then find something to fill the rest of your waking hours that will enable you to do these "day to day routines" with a smile on your face.

Realizing the trites of day to day life and then ignore them in the hope it disappears is impractical. Its not being a specific personality type that makes one impractical.

This too makes sense. I definitely need to delegate more. Ideally I would like to be doing 75% creativity and 25% day to day stuff for my current business. Right now it's like 95% day to day details stuff, and 5% creative.

Thank you. :)

You left the obvious werewolf off of this diagram. Hiding something? :thelook:

:ninja:

When I was a kid I had a few different dream-jobs in mind. Time and experience verified those dreams. Some of them crushed and are now nice party stories. But one of them persisted and got stronger. It gave me a good, sound career - I love it and it's useful for others :). I think for us INFPs it's good to keep our dreams but let them be cleaned by reality.

As to what your friend says - I have a feeling that he's not that good with practicalities of life himself. If he was well endowed in that area, he wouldn't need anybody else to do it for him ;).

:heart:

I like your analogy of letting reality tidy up our dreams. :D But perhaps not too tidy....

I forgot the serious reply! :doh:

Ironing? Why? :shock:

After 5-10 years, most men find that the "perfect wife" has become the "boring wife," which leads to Wife 2.0. Things are much easier for everyone if Wife 1.0 works out well.

Pegasus riding is pretty exciting stuff. I know I don't really care too much about how practical someone is, just so that they can deal with reality on their own once in a while. :laugh: There are way too many people who are over-practical anyway.

Haha! well, a reality dealing INFP only comes along once in a blue moon. I have gotten better with it as I have gotten older. I used to drive my INTP dad insane with how unrealistic I can be at times. :whistling: Which reminds me of a great story that I shall now share with you:

Last summer I locked myself out of my house while throwing the garbage out. (Long story before this but suffice to say I locked the door between the house and garage before wandering into the garage.) I went to the neighbors to use their phone and called my dad to see if I had left a spare key there. No such luck but he drove out to wait with me while I called a lock smith. I remembered that my sliding glass door was open but my deck is tiny and has no stairs down. I didn't mention this to him because I was worried he would try climbing up and fall and die. So we are sitting there and he says "Man, if only your sliding glass door was open. We could go get the ladder and this would take 5 minutes." My face: :whistling:. My dad goes, "Wait... are you telling me we have sat here for 3 hours waiting for a locksmith when your kitchen door has been open all. this. time.?!"

Where was I going with this? Not sure. But I agree on the ironing. :) And the pegasus riding. And other NP kind of stuff.

I agree with Kasper. This isn't Fiddler on the Roof; your value as a spouse is much more than whether you can cook/clean/fan your hubbie with a palmtree leaf. :hug:

Hmm... let me get this straight... I can cook my hubbie with a palmtree leaf?! :holy: This changes everything! To the observatory!

This thread is interesting. :nerd:

My BFF is an INFP and her strengths are completely opposite mine. She has innate skills in diplomacy and conflict-resolution that I am very sorely lacking. She's good at persuading people with her passion. That same passion leads her to throw her entire self into projects related to what she believes in. (We're both dedicated hard workers, just for different reasons.) While I'm not sure how to "market" them, these are useful skills/attributes.

Hope this helps. :blush:

It does help my oppositional counterpart of awesome. :) I am very good at throwing myself passionately into causes and ideas that I believe in... I just lack the follow through :D.

:hug:

QFT - not many people have these skills and they are invaluable in any (work) environment. I certainly would bring them up during an interview, not as a way to maket yourselves per se, but simply as an honest representation of who you are.

Thank you as well. :) I try my best. :Bitesnails: (haha! that could be bites nails or bite snails depending on how you look at it!)

Eek, sorry! I was jesting...

WQ4yP.gif

:hug:

:hifive:

That's a very nice idea! We have to minimize risks. I could have said ''Just do whatever you feel like doing'' but when you don't have a plan b things can go wrong quickly.

Whoa, since 2000? :D Must be intresting. Sounds like you have a good plan already. :)
You remind Erica, from Being Erica. NFP, check, cool, check, decides to write by her 30s, check. How awesome is that! Except that she can go back in time and you can't. :(
An interesting tv serie. :)

It is an interesting idea. :) It was originally from my college thesis. I also have a fantasty/scifi series in my head involving time travel. :D

I will check out the video later when I have sound on my computer. (P.S. how do you know I don't time travel? I am writing this from the future!)