• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] 2 Kinds of Fi users

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
basically, my hypothesis is that, like phobic/counterphobic 6s, there are 2 orientations one can take towards using Fi. as with the phobic/counterphobic 6s, this is not an inherent part of the temperament, but a response to the temperament (hence, all Fi users will do a little bit of both) essentially the 2 types are
1) Harmony Seeking Fi: these are your stereotypical IXFP flower child passifists. they do not believe in using force of any kind and value mercy, forgiveness and peace above all else. examples of this subtype include
- Princess Diana
- Jeremy Irons
- Neil Diamond
- Jack Black
- Audry Hepburn

Fictional:
- Hickup (How to Train Your Dragon)
- Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)

2) Justice Seeking Fi: this type of Fi user takes an entirely different approach. they value justice above mercy and believe that evil needs to be punished. people of this subtype are very interested in defending the weak, exacting justice and being a pillar of strength for those who can't defend themselves. they aren't necessarily violent or aggressive, but they are will go through much greater lengths to assert their convictions and see them through to fruition. they will not sit by and watch if they see something that needs to be changed
examples of this subtype include:
- Joan of Arc
- Malcolm X
- Ron Paul
- Alex Jones
- Che Guevara

Fictional:
- Magneto
- Darth Vader
- Ralphy (A Christmas Story)
- Light Yagami
- Judge Claude Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
- Eowyn (Lord of the Rings)

PS: TJs can also display either of these 2 orientations toward Fi

crack

I agree there's often these two different flavors of Fi usage, where one is seemingly one or the other.

But the same could be said for Fe, I think. An extremely significant memory I have is long ago an INFJ on here said something to the effect of they try to treat everyone with the philosophy in mind that ultimately everyone wants love or to be loved, something like that. Then you have the bossy, domineering Social Rules of Appropriateness Enforcers type. Two different subclasses, the same system of distinction you suggested of Fi.

Interesting food for thought though (interesting to ponder the Fx functions as being one or the other).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree there's often these two different flavors of Fi usage, where one is seemingly one or the other.

But the same could be said for Fe, I think. An extremely significant memory I have is long ago an INFJ on here said something to the effect of they try to treat everyone with the philosophy in mind that ultimately everyone wants love or to be loved, something like that. Then you have the bossy, domineering Social Rules of Appropriateness Enforcers type. Two different subclasses, the same system of distinction you suggested of Fi.

Interesting food for thought though (interesting to ponder the Fx functions as being one or the other).

no, Fe users have the a different split between rigid social protocol and harmony/love. there values are pulled from community values and they will fight for sake of others, but Fe users lack the conviction and fiery resolve to bring about justice that is exclusive to Fi users.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I sense a clear bias in your OP.

But to be on topic, I am a pacifist. I'm not too flowery, however.

crack

Ninja editing screwed everything up.

This post has been edited.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm? I was suggesting that "love to all (in general)" and "Rule Haver/Enforcer" were two different flavors of Fe as well. I wasn't suggesting Fe users have the same value system as Fi users. Or maybe I misunderstand what you're saying here.

oh, fair enough, but I think in Fi users the orientation is much more pronounced.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sense a clear bias in your OP.

But to be on topic, I am a pacifist. I'm not too flowery, however.

hardly. the description of the justice seeking Fi users was more glamorous, but that's only because, well, they are. they are advocates for justice and much more intense and charismatic, thus an accurate description of them will be as well. however, this is balanced out by the fact that many of them are villains. it's easy for them to loose it and go off the deep end :D

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
basically, my hypothesis is that, like phobic/counterphobic 6s, there are 2 orientations one can take towards using Fi. as with the phobic/counterphobic 6s, this is not an inherent part of the temperament, but a response to the temperament (hence, all Fi users will do a little bit of both) essentially the 2 types are
1) Harmony Seeking Fi: these are your stereotypical IXFP flower child passifists. they do not believe in using force of any kind and value mercy, forgiveness and peace above all else.
2) Justice Seeking Fi: this type of Fi user takes an entirely different approach. they value justice above mercy and believe that evil needs to be punished. people of this subtype are very interested in defending the weak, exacting justice and being a pillar of strength for those who can't defend themselves. they aren't necessarily violent or aggressive, but they are will go through much greater lengths to assert their convictions and see them through to fruition. they will not sit by and watch if they see something that needs to be changed

It seems I am closer to first orientation, but I am interested in defending the weak. I've always had a predisposition to defend someone ever since I was a kid. Hell, I'm so bad at that that I would even defend the person who I am defending someone from! I've never felt vengeance though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems I am closer to first orientation, but I am interested in defending the weak. I've always had a predisposition to defend someone ever since I was a kid. Hell, I'm so bad at that that I would even defend the person who I am defending someone from! I've never felt vengeance though.

yeah, you're too nice to be the second subtype bro :D

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, you're too nice to be the second subtype bro :D

Do you think the first subtype could be interested in defending the weak, but not necessarily in a 'justice-seeking' way?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think the first subtype could be interested in defending the weak, but not necessarily in a 'justice-seeking' way?

exactly :yes:
peace keepers vs peace makers essentially

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1) Harmony Seeking Fi: these are your stereotypical IXFP flower child passifists. they do not believe in using force of any kind and value mercy, forgiveness and peace above all else.

I might be inclined to agree (it could explain the e9 and e4 split amongst IXFPs, for example) but I think you overstate the forwardness required to be justice-seeking. You make the distinction seem to be more about passive vs. active. Are you simply meaning to contrast between the behaviour of Fi-doms/auxs, with the assertive and outspoken tertiary and inferior approach to Fi? Because your justice-seeking description seems requires a sort of TJ-ness and you would probably have to tone it down a little to apply to FPs. I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like you're describing an extreme version of it rather than a more general, commonplace one. I think you would struggle to find even a small number of Fi-doms that are that decisive and forceful in their approach to their values - they are typically too reticent to do so. And if it can't apply to Fi-doms, can it really be a general theory of Fi?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
It seems people of the first type are mostly 2s and 9s and those of the second type are mostly 4s and 1s, with 7s and 6s more evenly distributed while 5s aloofly observe and catalogue them. :wink:

(Also, Frollo is a Fi user? I remember seeing him typed as INFJ, but it may have been the novel version... :shrug:)

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Magneto INFP? What?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
malcolm x isn't an fi-user

and this isn't two types of people, it's just different situations people were put in.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magneto INFP? What?

no, Magneto is an INTJ 8w7 Sx/So
but TJs can have a bent towards one orientation of Fi or the other. Light Yagami is also a clear INTJ