• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Anyone else experienced this?

Silveresque

I'm not depressed or anything, but lately it's like I can't seem to feel anything. I'm sure I have feelings, maybe they're just repressed, pushed into my subconscious. And I still seem to act differently depending on my mood, even though I can't seem to consciously feel anything. Interestingly, when I listen to music it seems to help awaken my emotions, but as soon as the music stops, I revert to emptiness. This has actually happened to me a few times before, and it seems to be a phase that passes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you by chance sleep deprived? Sounds like me when I haven't slept for an extensive period of time.

Shade

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oy. I think that I shall just follow you around now and comment on all of your threads. ;) Bet you wish that you'd never written on my 'Type Me' thread- it's like treating the nerdy kid well. You think that you're doing a good deed but then they become so emotionally clingy that you end up going crazy.
/end pointless tangent
Yes, I very much relate to what you're talking about. I will say that not as much with the music thing- for me, the veil lifts a lot more when I'm reading a book that really 'hits it' for me- something that I really love in literature. Other than that, I feel a really deep sense of apathy and overall... emptiness as well. As you said, I don't necessarily think that it's depression-related. There are times in my life when I have been a lot more 'down' and 'blue' than I would consider myself to be now. However, it's still sort of interesting to be experiencing this. All my emotions feel like music heard through the floorboards. I feel the same things, but they feel really faint, like I'm feeling things I felt a hundred years ago. Nothing's very strong. My mom got really upset at me about a week ago and was saying some things that I intellectually realize are probably really hurtful, and maybe at another time would have made me feel really down. But now... it was like water off my back. I feel nothing strongly, or, as you said, conciously. I've sort of viewed it as a positive thing, though.

Silveresque

Are you by chance sleep deprived? Sounds like me when I haven't slept for an extensive period of time.

Nope, I've been getting plenty of sleep.

Oy. I think that I shall just follow you around now and comment on all of your threads. ;) Bet you wish that you'd never written on my 'Type Me' thread- it's like treating the nerdy kid well. You think that you're doing a good deed but then they become so emotionally clingy that you end up going crazy.
/end pointless tangent
Yes, I very much relate to what you're talking about. I will say that not as much with the music thing- for me, the veil lifts a lot more when I'm reading a book that really 'hits it' for me- something that I really love in literature. Other than that, I feel a really deep sense of apathy and overall... emptiness as well. As you said, I don't necessarily think that it's depression-related. There are times in my life when I have been a lot more 'down' and 'blue' than I would consider myself to be now. However, it's still sort of interesting to be experiencing this. All my emotions feel like music heard through the floorboards. I feel the same things, but they feel really faint, like I'm feeling things I felt a hundred years ago. Nothing's very strong. My mom got really upset at me about a week ago and was saying some things that I intellectually realize are probably really hurtful, and maybe at another time would have made me feel really down. But now... it was like water off my back. I feel nothing strongly, or, as you said, conciously. I've sort of viewed it as a positive thing, though.

Interesting. I've never really considered it a positive thing before because I really do want to feel something. I can't seem to get excited or enthusiastic about anything, and I'm not bothered by things that would make most people sad. It's just this emptiness that seeps in occasionally, and in fact I've mistaken it for mild depression before, but it seems depression and emptiness are two very different things.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It could be the phenomenon known as depersonalization, which I get. Read up on it and see if it sounds familiar.

Silveresque

It could be the phenomenon known as depersonalization, which I get. Read up on it and see if it sounds familiar.

I don't think it's that. I still feel like myself, I just can't seem to feel any kind of strong emotion.

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
Yes, normally when I've been stuck in my head for too long. Maybe you need a change in routine?

Silveresque

Yes, normally when I've been stuck in my head for too long. Maybe you need a change in routine?

Maybe you're right. I do need to stop living in my head and get out more. I wonder if it's an e5 thing...

Silveresque

Actually, this is kinda cool. I've never had such emotional control. I wonder where this came from?