• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Tip of the Iceberg

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. It usually takes me an hour of lying in bed to fall asleep, during this time I can't help but think. Sometimes I will find myself thinking of things that grow more and more abstract, and as the ideas get get more abstract the succession of thoughts leaps from one to the other faster and faster.

Here's the interesting part, at one point I will have an emerging thought that feels so big, but as I close on the idea I instantly forget my whole thought process and what I was thinking about, like a sensory overload.

I can relate the result to the scenario of if there were a crowded room with only one door. There's suddenly a fire and everyone tries to rush out the same door, but because everyone is pushing in the direction of the opening, everyone is gridlocked into place. It feels like my brain locks up.

I've had this happen to me on rare occassions, but only recently in the last few months. I was wondering if other people had similar experience.

Last edited:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Yes, I can relate to this. Also during showers, and when I'm listening to music with headphones. It is like -- after a while I just become tired of the thoughtflow and get on with the sleeping or shower-taking. For this reason I'm never sure about how much time I "waste" in a shower before deciding I've had enough with the "warm-up" phase and getting to shampoo my hair etc because I'm like "oh..." once I realize it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
This happens to me, which is why I always go to sleep with the television on. It's a distraction to make my brain stop thinking. The sound and light from the TV are not nearly the impediment to sleep that my thoughts are.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
This happens to me, which is why I always go to sleep with the television on. It's a distraction to make my brain stop thinking. The sound and light from the TV are not nearly the impediment to sleep that my thoughts are.
Glad to know I'm not the only one using TV that way.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe I'm in my head too much.. this also happens to me quite often.

I'd rather be stuck in thought loops than leave the TV on at night.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
yeah, this happens to me a lot. Especially before I sleep as well. I've been telling myself for 10 years to place a notebook next to my bed to write down these thoughts, but I never did.
Sensory overload is a huge problem for me every once in a while. But it reminds me of the phyical nature of my being & it's an alarm that tells me I need to do something entirely mindless to relax. Sensory overload is like my homeplanet telling my spaceship to come down.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
yeah, this happens to me a lot. Especially before I sleep as well. I've been telling myself for 10 years to place a notebook next to my bed to write down these thoughts, but I never did.

I've thought of that too. But in the morning they might just turn out to be thoughts equivalent to being very high.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. It usually takes me an hour of lying in bed to fall asleep, during this time I can't help but think. Sometimes I will find myself thinking of things that grow more and more abstract, and as the ideas get get more abstract the succession of thoughts leaps from one to the other faster and faster.

Here's the interesting part, and one point I will have an emerging thought that feels so big, but as I close on the idea I instantly forget my whole thought process and what I was thinking about, like a sensory overload.

I can relate the result to the scenario of if there were a crowded room with only one door. There's suddenly a fire and everyone tries to rush out the same door, but because everyone is pushing in the direction of the opening, everyone is gridlocked into place. It feels like my brain locks up.

I've had this happen to me on rare occassions, but only recently in the last few months. I was wondering if other people had similar experience.

No, never, unless I had very hard events during the day! Otherwise, I just fall asleep as soon as I am in my bed!

Desert Flower

Yeah, if its too quiet in the room at night, its like I fill up the emptiness by chattering to myself and I can't stop thinking. I usually turn on the fan or open my window...the sound makes the thoughts die down.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've thought of that too. But in the morning they might just turn out to be thoughts equivalent to being very high.

:laugh:

For me, I tried writing them out, but I found that what happened was when I tried to write them out they didn't come any more, or they weren't as strong.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, I think it's the type of thing where you can't have any other thoughts bogging it down.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w

Yeah exactly. But what's wrong with that ? I have the best thoughts when I'm high. I know that when you look back at it sober these thoughts don't always make sense but I'm pretty sure the best ideas & the most beautiful art very often comes up during a high of some sort, be it drug induced or even because of a psychosis or manic moment, or even natural highs, like going to bed after a great day. Being high, one way or another, & being creative are one & the same thing to me.

sorry for the very late respons btw

redacted

Here's the interesting part, at one point I will have an emerging thought that feels so big, but as I close on the idea I instantly forget my whole thought process and what I was thinking about, like a sensory overload.

yeah that happens to me pretty much every day lol

Yeah exactly. But what's wrong with that ? I have the best thoughts when I'm high. I know that when you look back at it sober these thoughts don't always make sense but I'm pretty sure the best ideas & the most beautiful art very often comes up during a high of some sort, be it drug induced or even because of a psychosis or manic moment, or even natural highs, like going to bed after a great day. Being high, one way or another, & being creative are one & the same thing to me.

sorry for the very late respons btw

when i'm high (weed) that phenomenon happens too much. i can never stay in one context...

moonlit_reveries

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
definitely! When the world is still around me, my mind flashes with tons of insights and is anything but calm. And all my most brilliant ideas come to me while I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep.