• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Male and Masculinity

rav3n

I think it is liberating to feel you only appeal to some people. In all aspects of yourself.

I don't fully understand what feminine or sensitive men actually do so I don't have much to say on that. I feel balanced masculine/feminine is actually most attractive. It's more the indulgent, spray it all over everybody side of both that is unappealing.
And yet you're an F man where F stands for fan club! :wink:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it is liberating to feel you only appeal to some people. In all aspects of yourself.

I don't fully understand what feminine or sensitive men actually do so I don't have much to say on that. I feel balanced masculine/feminine is actually most attractive. It's more the indulgent, spray it all over everybody side of both that is unappealing.

seriously. super unbalanced masculine is disgusting

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think society is putting too much pressure on guys conform to the stereotypes. But, at least it's getting better now, so I we're definitely moving forward. It shouldn't matter that much to be 'masculine' as it is to be 'healthy', and knowing and accepting yourself and being unafraid to show it is a sure sign of 'healthiness'

Actually, I think you're right! I still remember I've taken a course of "Gender and Media" during college years and my professor claim that both genders have much more personal freedom of self-expressions, particularly when slender, non-muscular men were not seen as popular back in the 80s (she made a side-by-side comparison of Arnold and one of those Dior "ultra-slim" male models). The emergence of metrosexuals, or the emos really have changed the overall conception of masculinity.

I've also found most of my friends are completely turned off by 'macho' or muscle-flexing types kind of guy. Of course, there will be always demand for those ultra-masculine men who can mimic the walks of penguins, but I still prefer men with sentimentality overall. A man who builds his goal based on his dream of values, in stead of being followed by societal norms.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think Fi heavy men are going to be more of a disadvantage for the 'traditional masculine' route, which of course, is BS. But self-reflection and showing (let alone having) empathy is a huge no-no in traditional gender role-ing for men.

That's true. And perhaps that's why they tend to be hotheaded when they're in conflicts. It's like watching a volcano errupting at any moments during confrontation even. I know that for ENFPs, when they're experiencing conflicts, they tend to take it as personally as INFJs. Though for INFJs it seems more like one-on-one kind of thing. Based on my work experience, I've witnessed a few ENFP/ENFJ females tend to convince as many people to agree to take their sides. But when a "male" ENFP/ENFJ do this excessively (or sometimes, dramatically), it can really look rather distasteful--especially when compared to their usual image of being merry-go-around, people-oriented inspirers. It really dropped my jaw whenever this happens.

I also remember an ISFP male friend and he was so nice and also masculine.

That's spot-on! I think ISFP male are very comfortable with their masculinity and feminitity by not taking things too seriously in general. I felt SP types are very laid-back and yet relaxed. The only thing is it seems they're not interested in establishing a deeper connections like NFs do. So it's really difficult to get to know them besides having a good times socializing with them.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Appearance should be factored into people's perceptions because accurate or not they play a huge part.

I agree, but to me, voice tone is the deciding factor.

Some men can look very masculine but once they speak, you felt somewhat dislocated, such as David Beckham.

ENFP seem to help appearing more 'masculine' by their goofiness and all the 'creative' gestures by looking more animated than other NF types.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think most male NFs resent the so-called "feminine" aspects of their personality. They resent the fact that women aren't attracted to them because of it.

This is interesting. I still remembered it's very difficult for me to turn this guy down (whom I suspect is an INFJ) after writing the sweetest confession letter to me during high school. The chemistry just wasn't there and I tried to be very nice to him and expressed my wish for remaining friends as the feeling wasn't mutual. That's when he started to keep a distance with me and eventually disconnected.

I would rather want to have things happened naturally and always thought it's for the best interests between two people. I think for most resentment comes from lack of confidence. As I've seen confident ENFJ can easily take no from girls and move on to the next target. Perhaps ENFPs will try harder if they viewed disinterested as a form of challenge.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a classmate back in junior high who would be the first one to bawl at anything -- sad songs, sad movies, partings. I thought he was awesome :blush:

I think society is putting too much pressure on guys conform to the stereotypes. But, at least it's getting better now, so I we're definitely moving forward. It shouldn't matter that much to be 'masculine' as it is to be 'healthy', and knowing and accepting yourself and being unafraid to show it is a sure sign of 'healthiness'

(I think TJ girls have the same problem -- but reversed)

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not really sure what 'masculine' and 'feminine' even mean anymore... :huh:

I think society puts pressure on guys to conform to the wrong masculine traits
- aggression
- impulsiveness
- toughness
- having lots of sex
- disgusting amounts of muscle

as opposed to the right ones
- responsibility
- ambition
- productivity
- confidence

sculpting

Some enfp men will become socially kinda smooth. It feels very greasy to me. They are thinking with Te but putting on an Fi facade to get what they want...

Another type is kinda loud and way Te-ish out front. These guys dont strike me as agressive, but they are sort of knee jerk responsive.

Other enfp men seem more in the middle between the two. As for the "seeing right through you", well we already do that all of the time...but we try to pretend we dont see anything because people freak out if you say anything about what you see. I have-in defense-used that to land some heavy blows on another. You just tell them the truth (as you perceive it) about themselves. It is a mean thing to do as people hide in their won self projections, so it isnt okay to expose that without their permission typically.

My enfp son is a total goofball, emo, whiny, and mopey and his little 4 yo INTJ brother is already more masculine than him. Tis the truth, alas.

INFJ men-sexy, manipulative, caring, cut-throat, seductive, slightly corny. :) My dad was an INFJ, but I dont think I would ever have the tactical skills required to date one. masculine, but staged.

ENFJ guys sometimes freak me out as they feel way too friendly, but I have an enfj guy friend who is all skeptical, witty, and morose about work and he seems really reasonable-he's like my mom. We are moms together. Totally not masculine. *shrugs*

INFP men-I dunno, they never really say much.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would rather want to have things happened naturally and always thought it's for the best interests between two people. I think for most resentment comes from lack of confidence. As I've seen confident ENFJ can easily take no from girls and move on to the next target. Perhaps ENFPs will try harder if they viewed disinterested as a form of challenge.

Confidence = having the courage to take a risk with a chance of failing?

E

Epiphany

This is interesting. I still remembered it's very difficult for me to turn this guy down (whom I suspect is an INFJ) after writing the sweetest confession letter to me during high school. The chemistry just wasn't there and I tried to be very nice to him and expressed my wish for remaining friends as the feeling wasn't mutual. That's when he started to keep a distance with me and eventually disconnected.

What you just described is a typical PUA perspective: women are targets who are easily disposed of. I wouldn't mistake that for confidence. It sounds like your INFJ, on the other hand, viewed you as more than just a target. I don't think that says anything about his self-esteem.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mask Manifest, I guess you mean it's not a matter of confidence but the talent/skill/competency that the confidence is being displayed in?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I hate guys who feel like they have to be all macho and full of testosterone.

NF guys are the best. All the relationship bonuses, like they actually like to talk about personal issues, but still they are guys. They don't seem to have the kind of emotional sensitivities that women have that make them difficult.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
- aggression
- impulsiveness
- toughness
- having lots of sex
True. I don't find any of these attractive >_< (I'm scared of muscles...)

- responsibility
- ambition
- productivity
- confidence
Are these supposed to be 'masculine' though? :huh: I think these are desirable qualities in the modern female too...

rav3n

- aggression
- impulsiveness
- toughness
- having lots of sex

- responsibility
- ambition
- productivity
- confidence
Firstly, no one can pressure anyone to do anything unless they have some form of coercive power to do so. And social pressure isn't necessarily coercive unless someone allows it to be.

As for both those lists, they're all fine to me as long as they're within reason and as long as they have lots of sex solely with me, that's also a positive. But I do have to take exception to the usage of disgusting and muscles. Perhaps muscles are disgusting to you but they're pretty hot to me and something that men build far easier than women due to their naturally manifesting levels of testosterone. When a man can pick you up effortlessly, as a woman this resonates within me as HOT!

Now how much of this has anything to do with the opening post, I have no idea. Suffice to say, all the traits listed can be traits than any man can have, regardless of type. It appears to me Elfboy that you're just stating your personal preferences in men, instead of addressing the topic.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Unless you don't appeal to the person(s) you're attracted to; then that becomes appealing.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think most male NFs resent the so-called "feminine" aspects of their personality. They resent the fact that women aren't attracted to them because of it.

They boil down to the same thing, in the end. If someone truly accepted the feminine aspect of their personality, why would they be bothered if some people rejected it? Since he loved that part of himself, he'd be far more inclined to believe that his issues with women involve something *else*, rather then being more feminine than a typical guy.

I mean… look at gay guys. Some of them are extremely effeminate, yet they often have legions of women that are sexually attracted to them. Any NF man that says his lack of success with women simply involves the feminine aspects of his personality is simply passing the buck.

There seems to be a sense of misogyny that overshadows both genders. A woman who is considered to have a "masculine" personality, whatever that may be: vocal, authoritative, take-charge attitude, will probably be regarded as more attractive than a man who is considered feminine: sensitive, cautious, quiet-natured. Again, I don't think those qualities define either gender, but they seem to be stereotypes that are often reiterated in society, blatantly or subtly, by both genders.

By and large, I don’t think NT women have it any easier. They stick out in society just as much, and often have to face the same type of questions us NF men do.

You seem to be focusing on the “attractiveness” aspect, though. Well, young women generally just have to be physically attractive to draw the attention of men. Their attractiveness isn’t always related to who they are. Sure, she has guys clawing at her, but then they turn around and try to change her into a more typical woman once they win her over. Ever wonder how much that's gotta suck?

Though I think many NF male would assume that it's not an ideal option for them to share such side of sentimentality (as long as it's not overtly emotional) with women as I found that's one of the strongest qualities NF males have in common, apart from other types. Most often they may seem to confuse that as being viewed as weakening their masculinity. I always felt that's what they draw people in.

Sensitivity is a strength when it’s a *dimension* to our personality, and a weakness when it defines us. Same goes with this whole femininity business.

I know that when I would advertise my sensitivity, it never worked for me romantically. Instant friend zone. However, if I was just myself, and let myself be sensitive when a situation called for it without making a big deal about it… well… I know that I’ve attracted a few women that way.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
My NF guy was told by his witchy (female) boss that there was no way anyone could actually be as nice as he acts and that he must be being nice to manipulate people. What's sad is that he really is actually that nice.