• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and...sympathetic imagination?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This isn't necessarily an NF-specific topic, so I'd certainly like to hear any comments. I think it's probably something we're especially prone to though.

I find myself extremely affected by disasters, terrible acts like the Norwegian massacre this weekend, tragic news stories and so on. I can't stop myself from crying when confronted with people's grief, but more than that, I have a tendency to vividly imagine "what it must have like to be there". I have felt like that while watching the news this weekend and reading or hearing about people watching their friends being shot before their eyes; reading about the recovery of the Air France black box, the last ten minutes of that flight, feeling a tiny echo of the fear those people went through, wondering whether (as some stories suggested) they escaped the knowledge that the plane was plummeting to disaster, or not.

I visited Auschwitz a few years ago and though I cried while I was there, I think I went into a little bit of shock too. In the days and weeks after I had a hard time stopping thinking about it and kept crying whenever I did. I had a particularly hard time with the memory of the piles of suitcases recovered from victims because they all had names and addresses on them, and each name and address made me imagine that individual life - then multiply its tragic and evil loss by millions. I still well up when I think about or talk about visiting that place.

I do believe that the media exacerbates this kind of thing by its focus on tragic and shocking details, and I find it hard to look away from tragic news stories. Sometimes I realise that I've taken in too much and it's affecting me too much. My parents (who live far away, but I talk to them about once a week by phone) have realised that this affects me badly and I think they worry about that particularly as I live alone. When I started talking with them yesterday about the tragedy in Norway, they very quickly said "try not to dwell on it too much and try not to take in too much of the news - it's not good for you". Not that they want me to put my head in the sand or stop acknowledging the evil in the world, but they know it has a very unsettling effect on me.

This may not be so type-related, perhaps I am just highly sensitive in this area. I do find it hard to not leap straight to that vivid imagining of terrible events, almost as though I'm there or was there. It's also worse if I feel some sort of connection, even if it is kind of nebulous. I'm half Scandinavian, though not Norwegian, and have been to Oslo, and it just seems both easier and harder to imagine, if you know what I mean. Or with the plane disaster, I have a fear of flying phobia and even turbulence really does bad things to me.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Full disclosure don't judge me :(

When something horrible happens and people are devastated I tend to resist feelings of sympathy. I don't do it consciously, but it's like I go dead when something like that happens, and I am sort of irritated at the people who are upset, maybe because they're making me feel like a selfish dick for not crying about it. I have a sympathetic imagination, but towards things that most don't normally feel bad about, or at least don't pay as much attention too. I feel like a hipster of sympathy, when everyone is sympathizing, I tend to go in the opposite direction (Pfft this tsunami has gone totally mainstream), and when people aren't aware of some obscure sorrow, I become EXTREMELY moved by it and try to bring attention to the problem. I don't do it on purpose though, I wish I was a better person, but I can't seem to make myself weep for all the injustices of the world.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^Not judging, don't worry. ;) My young INFP friend is a bit like that, I think. She was irritated by everyone being sad over Amy Winehouse's death. In a way I have sympathy for her feeling that way, because it was one self-destructive celebrity. But I don't really feel the "oh, everyone is upset about this, why should I be??" thing.

I don't expect everything to affect me equally though. You don't always know what it will be. Sometimes I have this sort of Western guilt. I know that I'm more affected by a bomb in a European city that kills 50 than by a bomb in Pakistan or Iraq that kills 100. And I feel kind of ashamed about that sometimes. I know that it's more sadly "expected" to happen in such countries (because it happens a lot due to the political situation, because it's a war zone, or whatever) but that doesn't change the fact that every single human life is precious and equal. Then again, I don't want to be overwhelmed by sadness at everything, it is just too exhausting.

I can understand the feeling that "obscure sorrows" should get more attention, for sure.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I find myself being not very sensitive to those things, a bit similar to Forever_Jung. I don't know why that is, it just doesn't touch me directly as some other things, and I ask myself sometimes why that is. Surely I find such acts terrible, but I don't really FEEL it like other people seem to do (although sometimes I feel SOME people are acting it somewhat, especially politicians). I don't make "inappropriate" comments about it though either, I rather don't talk much about it at all.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm with FJ. I have this feeling that if I feel bad for those people involved in whatever horrible thing then by fairness I must empathize with everybody who is suffering and has suffered. The idea is overwhelming.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I.. think I'm a little different. Man, I'm feeling awfully weird of late. Sigh.

I tend not to react too strongly to tragedies.. on a world level. I'm not impacted emotionally, in any lingering way. When I hear of things, I immediately think how horrible it is, and momentarily might have a 'urrg, people can suck' feeling, but I have never been one to dwell on them; specifically because there's not a thing I can do about it, or tragedies will always occur at some point in the future, and we'll never reach a point where pain/tragedy is non-existent. I think I immediately go into a more detached space..kind of a 'such is life/human nature' thing.. just noting that there are people in this world who totally suck and who do atrocious/horrendous things. And there always have been and always will be. And.. I suppose I stop there.

I will say though that I also don't watch the tv at all -- tv news stations bother me intensely. I just get so angry/annoyed at what is reported, how it is reported, what people treat as a really big deal when it isn't a big deal at all, and other things like that. I find the method of reporting very.. horrible in many ways. I can't stomach it. It turns certain events into spectacles which would be better kept private, or rehashes true tragedies which shouldn't be rehashed in depth.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I.. think I'm a little different. Man, I'm feeling awfully weird of late. Sigh.

I tend not to react too strongly to tragedies.. on a world level. I'm not impacted emotionally, in any lingering way. When I hear of things, I immediately think how horrible it is, and momentarily might have a 'urrg, people can suck' feeling, but I have never been one to dwell on them; specifically because there's not a thing I can do about it, or tragedies will always occur at some point in the future, and we'll never reach a point where pain/tragedy is non-existent. I think I immediately go into a more detached space..kind of a 'such is life/human nature' thing.. just noting that there are people in this world who totally suck and who do atrocious/horrendous things. And there always have been and always will be. And.. I suppose I stop there.

Same here. Actually I rarely cry. Even if I do, it has to do with myself more. And never cry in public. Those horrible things have always affected me but only momentarily. Perhaps that's the reason why I have stopped subscribing TVs eversince I was a freshman (seriously).

That being said, I do have a vast sympathetic imgaination only when somethings is close to me, proximity wise. For example, whenever I bumped into homeless people, cats and dogs, I quickly try to imagine what could've happened to them. I've even experienced seeing this old homeless women (probably in her 60s) and had a cosmic connection to her as soon as our eyes met. I suddenly felt this overwhelming feeling that we could've been related in pastlife, something weird like that. And it boders me emotionally. I even had a little talk with her and she even told me that I reminded her of someone who she couldn't remember. I just said "Are you hungry? Do you need any food?" (I had a few buns with me) without telling her about those weird cosmic connection that rambling inside my mind. It's really creepy.

When it comes to homeless (or abandoned) pets, I almost immediately kneel down and just look at them. And 90% of the time they ended up following me behind! This often resulted me to buy foods from grocery store and fed them. I even cried really terribly when I bumped into a cat who got injured on the street (probably knocked by a car) and called SPCA. I can hear its breathing and groaning so intensely. But after I keep talking to the cat, basically asking him/her to stay strong and that the rescue worker will be going to arrive soon, amazingly the cat stops groaning and just breathing slowly and calmly. (I really have a soft-spot for animals)

Most of my friends think I was a nut-case but I really think part of it has to do with my sympathetic imagination, as I always try to attach a background story of some tragic happenings on top of my head.

A

Anew Leaf

When looking at a mass pain like the holocaust, 9/11, or what just happened in Norway... I tend to shut down and not feel anything. It's not that I am unsympathetic, it's that it is overwhelming to feel that much pain for so many people at one time. I think about the horror and aloneness and fear they must have been feeling. I think about them as children growing up and smiling and falling off their bikes. I think about these people falling in love and having children of their own. I think about all of the lives that are connected.

Like I am continually astonished by how many people have been affected, and how much my life has changed just from my mom passing away last year. Yes, she was my mom so she was important. But the interconnectivity between her and my dad, and me, and her siblings, and her friends, and my friends, etc... And the world didn't even stop to notice her passing like it does with this tragedy in Norway. So the enormity of those changes multiplied by 100 people or 10000 or 6 million.... just overloads me and I can't deal with it all.

In one on one chats with close friends, I surprise myself by how much I feel when they talk about something painful in their lives. Maybe it's my way of trying to let people know that no matter how alone they may think they are in this world, I at least feel what they are feeling and I am there for them and maybe for a little while they aren't alone.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Full disclosure don't judge me :(

When something horrible happens and people are devastated I tend to resist feelings of sympathy. I don't do it consciously, but it's like I go dead when something like that happens, and I am sort of irritated at the people who are upset, maybe because they're making me feel like a selfish dick for not crying about it. I have a sympathetic imagination, but towards things that most don't normally feel bad about, or at least don't pay as much attention too. I feel like a hipster of sympathy, when everyone is sympathizing, I tend to go in the opposite direction (Pfft this tsunami has gone totally mainstream), and when people aren't aware of some obscure sorrow, I become EXTREMELY moved by it and try to bring attention to the problem. I don't do it on purpose though, I wish I was a better person, but I can't seem to make myself weep for all the injustices of the world.

Wow.. Ditto here! Love your anaology of the "sympathetic hipster"! The above really sums up what I seem to do, for the same reasons I seem to do it. I've always just considered it a balancing mechanism.. and it comes up in more than just sympathy circumstances. Like I sometimes feel that it is my place to ensure all sides are considered. Anytime I sense a great weight in one direction.. I will try to emphasize other aspects.. it's as though I feel like sometimes the truth will be lost in blind following (no matter how passionate or right it feels?) Ofcourse with large scale disasters, tsunami, earthquake, japan.. it's not like I don't find them deserving of sympathey.. more like I sense that enough people back it for it to no longer be a huge concern to me. I also wonder if it has something to do with ENFP's needing to make a project or cause "their own"? I dunno if that makes any sense.. but ya.

Edit: After further consideration.. I tend to wonder if this is something to be found in FI.. a weighing up of priority, if you will. THe large scale event doesn't often hit home enough for me to become passionate.. because everyone else is supporting. My unique efforts are not as neccessary.. but the other day at Walgreens I saw this dark skinned man walk in with a backpack on him.. and the cashier refused to allow him in the store with it, told him he had to drop it with her.. which may have been allright if that was "just the policy".. but then there was a few white kids in the store with backpacks on them that were not advised of said policy. So this is one tiny event that hit my Fi HARD.. because a whole line of people are standing there clearly observing what I must have been.. a targeting.. and no one says or does a dam thing.. just stands there with a stupid look on their faces. The guy didn't speak english well enough to argue with the cashier, he was entirely confused (probably because he was looking at other people in the store with packs on them?) and I felt COMPELLED to point it out to the cashier. I told her "you can't really enforce that policy unless you enforce it for everyone. You have 3 other people in your store with packs on them.. so you'd have to either tell them to come drop their packs too, or what your doing is highly questionable and offensive." She dropped the argument. *Fi victory dance*

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That being said, I do have a vast sympathetic imgaination only when somethings is close to me, proximity wise.

Yeah, I can definitely be more disturbed by individuals right in my path, and then my mind gets going. Actually you're reminded me of something that just happened last week. I was staying at a little hotel, sitting out on the balcony one afternoon, and saw a group of about 10 teenage women walk through the courtyard, chatting, seemingly happy/fine, but they were clearly of some sort of religious sect .. mennonite? I don't know. All dressed in solid cotton dresses, looking like they were from an early 20th century workhouse or someting, with bandanas covering their hair. And honestly? It really unsettled me.. I was just thinking... are they happy? Did they have a choice? Is it ok if they're happy even if they're ignorant and don't know anything better? Is that not ok? And other such things.

And, I'll have sympathetic pangs if I'm sitting on a bus and I see someone walk on who just looks... totally unhappy / I imagine what it would like to be them.

Definitely relate to what you say about animals, too. The physical pain many of the neglected/mistreated animals must be feelings just gives me the chills.... I feel so bad for them. Just imagine if the same physical ailments were allowed in humans... can you imagine? I mean, the same physical pains CAN occur in humans who are abused or who are starving/facing horrible disease. But.. uggh. It's just hard to watch. I'm very likely to stop in my tracks on a street if I see an animal like that, and I'll start talking to it. Or out in nature if I see an injured animal... but out in nature, that's just the reality of being alive. That physical pain is real and true. It's death out there, and lots and lots of pain. And life, of course, and beauty. We, as people though, have sheltered ourselves and taken away many of the biological pain realities of being alive...at least those of us in privileged, modernized countries.. so when those things do happen,or we are in situations where we are in similar boats to the rest of the organisms on the planet, we.... well, it's harder to stomach. To be reminded of the harshness of many aspects of mortality.

(uh.. sorry. Seriously didn't intend to tangent on that)

I will say though that the human/large-scale international sorts of atrocities that chill me to the bone, and greatly sadden/perplex me if I think about it too much, are things/conditions such as you find in the Congo region. That sort of thing..that chaos/prolific cultural violence is... horrid.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a bit more cut off from animals than I used to be, living in the big city...though I love seeing the urban foxes near my building :) I've always had a deep love for animals and hate seeing them suffer, especially anything needless or cruel. But I'm more sensitive to human suffering now.

Cascade, about something like the Congo situation - I also find that extremely distressing because a civil war there that killed millions was almost overlooked in Western media, and there is all kinds of ongoing stuff there. Some of that has come closer to home now because I personally know Congolese and Ivoirians, more so than before (they're in my congregation) and I have heard stories of their family members being affected and so on.

It always makes a difference for me to have some connection. I know a couple in Oslo and have friends here who know more people there...I know people in Japan, and though they were away from the disaster area they have friends who lost friends and family...etc.

And also, sometimes I am overwhelmed by the fact that this (anything) is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many people out there suffering and you will simply never hear about them.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh gosh I totally relate to the OP. I had to force myself to stop listenig to talk radio when the Japanese tsunami event happened. It totally affected me, I tuned in daily and was depressed for a month. Anytime I see others suffering (and even feeling joy, which is cool!) it's like their emotions are transferred to me! Dude, watching those cooking competition shows even get me emotionally riled up!!! Gordon Ramsey would probably tell me to grow some bullocks lol!

Starry

I totally relate to the OP as well. Actually, in light of recent events, it's a bit to painful to even talk about. But I at least wanted to say that SilkRoad is NOT alone with regards to her sentiments.

V

violaine

I relate to the OP as well. I was doing ok there for a while in that for a year or two it seemed like I'd finally toughened up about such things. But not the case. I don't let myself watch really upsetting things beyond a cursory look, because I don't deal well with not being able to do very much about it.

I've tried to trace where such feelings originate in order to hack them, but as much as I acknowledge that suffering is inherent and the world isn't a fair place, just cannot help but feel a great deal of sadness over big and little tragedies. It even upsets me greatly when someone doesn't get to live the life they wanted if I think about that too much. :-( Lately I've been wondering if it means I should be more engaged in giving somehow, and if not living more of a life like that is where my discomfort arises from. *shrug*

My compassion is not on tap though. If I can tell that someone is not compassionate AND that they can only feel deeply for themselves/they are manipulative, I can't feel for them at all. Even when I know their life hasn't been very nice. It's one of the few things that turns me to stone.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This isn't necessarily an NF-specific topic, so I'd certainly like to hear any comments. I think it's probably something we're especially prone to though.

I find myself extremely affected by disasters, terrible acts like the Norwegian massacre this weekend, tragic news stories and so on. I can't stop myself from crying when confronted with people's grief, but more than that, I have a tendency to vividly imagine "what it must have like to be there". I have felt like that while watching the news this weekend and reading or hearing about people watching their friends being shot before their eyes; reading about the recovery of the Air France black box, the last ten minutes of that flight, feeling a tiny echo of the fear those people went through, wondering whether (as some stories suggested) they escaped the knowledge that the plane was plummeting to disaster, or not.

I visited Auschwitz a few years ago and though I cried while I was there, I think I went into a little bit of shock too. In the days and weeks after I had a hard time stopping thinking about it and kept crying whenever I did. I had a particularly hard time with the memory of the piles of suitcases recovered from victims because they all had names and addresses on them, and each name and address made me imagine that individual life - then multiply its tragic and evil loss by millions. I still well up when I think about or talk about visiting that place.

I do believe that the media exacerbates this kind of thing by its focus on tragic and shocking details, and I find it hard to look away from tragic news stories. Sometimes I realise that I've taken in too much and it's affecting me too much. My parents (who live far away, but I talk to them about once a week by phone) have realised that this affects me badly and I think they worry about that particularly as I live alone. When I started talking with them yesterday about the tragedy in Norway, they very quickly said "try not to dwell on it too much and try not to take in too much of the news - it's not good for you". Not that they want me to put my head in the sand or stop acknowledging the evil in the world, but they know it has a very unsettling effect on me.

This may not be so type-related, perhaps I am just highly sensitive in this area. I do find it hard to not leap straight to that vivid imagining of terrible events, almost as though I'm there or was there. It's also worse if I feel some sort of connection, even if it is kind of nebulous. I'm half Scandinavian, though not Norwegian, and have been to Oslo, and it just seems both easier and harder to imagine, if you know what I mean. Or with the plane disaster, I have a fear of flying phobia and even turbulence really does bad things to me.

Not to be stepping on toes here but...doesn't this sort of concern you? I mean it must take a tremendous amount of energy alone to "feel" for so much in the world. I know my ENFJ is sympathetic and there are things that really effect him but he is more like the majority of replies in this thread. Of course I am asking because I honestly have no grasp of this. The Amy Winehouse thing got a....wow....I didn't see THAT coming....and then I didn't think about it again.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not to be stepping on toes here but...doesn't this sort of concern you? I mean it must take a tremendous amount of energy alone to "feel" for so much in the world. I know my ENFJ is sympathetic and there are things that really effect him but he is more like the majority of replies in this thread. Of course I am asking because I honestly have no grasp of this. The Amy Winehouse thing got a....wow....I didn't see THAT coming....and then I didn't think about it again.

Yeah, it does take a lot of energy, and yeah, it does concern me somewhat...probably wouldn't have posted about it otherwise ;)

I didn't get upset exactly over Amy Winehouse, I'm sure I would have been more had I been a fan though - that's the shallow nature of fandom, I suppose. I have a friend who said she cried for days when Michael Jackson died.

Having "no grasp of it" is, to me, at one extreme. I'm probably closer to the other extreme. Like most things, it's probably better to be somewhere in the middle...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: After further consideration.. I tend to wonder if this is something to be found in FI.. a weighing up of priority, if you will. THe large scale event doesn't often hit home enough for me to become passionate.. because everyone else is supporting. My unique efforts are not as neccessary.. but the other day at Walgreens I saw this dark skinned man walk in with a backpack on him.. and the cashier refused to allow him in the store with it, told him he had to drop it with her.. which may have been allright if that was "just the policy".. but then there was a few white kids in the store with backpacks on them that were not advised of said policy. So this is one tiny event that hit my Fi HARD.. because a whole line of people are standing there clearly observing what I must have been.. a targeting.. and no one says or does a dam thing.. just stands there with a stupid look on their faces. The guy didn't speak english well enough to argue with the cashier, he was entirely confused (probably because he was looking at other people in the store with packs on them?) and I felt COMPELLED to point it out to the cashier. I told her "you can't really enforce that policy unless you enforce it for everyone. You have 3 other people in your store with packs on them.. so you'd have to either tell them to come drop their packs too, or what your doing is highly questionable and offensive." She dropped the argument. *Fi victory dance*

I don't know if it's Fi? I mean, maybe there are trends where it is more apt to be an Fi thing, but I relate far more to your example than to a remote event which in the end I am powerless to effect any real change/a difference, and where I know there are a lot of people in the midst of it, doing real good and really knowing what's going on, firsthand, and therefore having the ability to make a tangible impact. And, I wager there are just as many Fi-ers joining groups/causes (Peace Corp, various Activist groups) or publically mourning various tragedies (Diana, the AZ congresswoman, and so on) as there are Fe-ers -- it would just depend on the given value set of the person, or how much the particular event or death/person impacted & triggered that person.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think that a lot of people choose not to feel as much as they otherwise might as a survival/coping mechanism.

EDIT: Talking about extremes for these kinds of feelings...the friend I mentioned who cried for days when MJ died? She lost an ex-boyfriend who she was still totally in love with in a motorcycle crash. The point when I really started getting worried about what it had done to her mental health was when she said she couldn't stop picturing his body cold and alone in the ground (he wasn't cremated), being eaten by maggots etc. That truly freaked me out and made me worried for her.

Mind you, I think she's an FP and I probably can't rival the intensity of her feelings in the moment (and would not want to), with regard to disasters or anything else (it sounded like she pictured the terror of the people on the Air France flight more vividly than I did, when we spoke of it.) But she moves on from whatever those feelings are more quickly than I do. ie. she'd sworn she would never love again after the above-mentioned guy died, but less than a year later she was married to someone else. But I digress, I suppose.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know if it's Fi? I mean, maybe there are trends where it is more apt to be an Fi thing, but I relate far more to your example than to a remote event which in the end I am powerless to effect any real change/a difference, and where I know there are a lot of people in the midst of it, doing real good and really knowing what's going on, firsthand, and therefore having the ability to make a tangible impact. And, I wager there are just as many Fi-ers joining groups/causes (Peace Corp, various Activist groups) or publically mourning various tragedies (Diana, the AZ congresswoman, and so on) as there are Fe-ers -- it would just depend on the given value set of the person, or how much the particular event or death/person impacted & triggered that person.

Yes, these are all good points. I guess I was looking at is in.. Fi weighs up what is of value... and it's possible that since ENFP's (but not exclusively) enjoy being the finders of cause (Ne.. newly discovered) they may not put tremendous stock into large events for the reasons I mentioned. BUt I believe your right.. I do not think it is exclusive.. possibly a small pattern, possibly no pattern. I've also noticed a few INTJ's highly affected by large scale trajedy. I wonder if Ni users are better at initially understanding long term implications and the sheer mangitude of something that an Ne user may not see right way..