• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] ENTP chick with serious question about INFP boyfriend

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
As an ENTP chick, I have a very real awareness of just how non-feminine I can be. (For those of you who don't have this problem, whoopdie-do, this isn't about you.)

Sure, sure, I love make-up (it brings out some creativity), and sure, sure, i love lingerie and pretty bras and panties, but when it comes to the stereotypical 'femaleness', i find myself lacking. it's extremely hard to explain as... well, all i can do is ask that you use what you already know regarding the differences between T and F women. I'm sure, if you've been on this site for any length of time, you've already noticed that there definitely is one.

My question is this: what the hell is wrong with my INFP boyfriend that he PREFERS this over the NF counterpart? it makes no sense to me. If anyone has any idea, i'd appreciate the insight.

Also, i'm very aware that i should just relax and enjoy it, and i do, i do, but... i'm also an analyzer. i can't help that. And, it bugs me that i can't figure this out. it bothers me that i can't just totally relax and assume 'this' will always be prefered.

i humbly defer to the much more qualified.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a theory that we prefer our mirror image. According to that theory, a very masculine guy will be attrackted to very feminine women and a very feminine woman will look for a masculine guy. On the other hand, somebody closer to the middle might prefer somebody closer to the middle. A somewhat softer INFP guy would be complemented by a less girly ENTP female. You balance each other out that way.

As an NT female, an NF male would be your ideal match*. Enjoy!

(If you look at functions, you might connect via Ne but balance Ti/Fe with Fi/Te, sounds like a good combo)

Starry

In my experience (keyword MY) – NFs do not somehow automatically adhere to traditional gender rolls/stereotypes. Yes, we can be a little on the romantic side. But the NFs that I know actually reject all the trappings generally associated with ‘what is feminine’ and ‘what is masculine’. In fact…the fact that you indicated that you ‘love make-up’ and utilized the word ‘panties’ instead of ‘underwear’ leads me to believe that you are far more feminine than I (and the other female NFs I know irl).

With that said…the INFP males I know irl (and the ISFP males as well)…tend to be slightly more feminine at heart – or I should say they possess characteristics that society may typically assign a label of ‘feminine’ in nature. In this way…perhaps he feels balanced out by you. I think this is a beautiful thing. I wouldn’t question it. I don’t know if this is what is coming into play in your situation – but either way I feel very happy for you!

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
There is a theory that we prefer our mirror image. According to that theory, a very masculine guy will be attrackted to very feminine women and a very feminine woman will look for a masculine guy. On the other hand, somebody closer to the middle might prefer somebody closer to the middle. A somewhat softer INFP guy would be complemented by a less girly ENTP female. You balance each other out that way.

As an NT female, an NF male would be your ideal match*. Enjoy!

(If you look at functions, you might connect via Ne but balance Ti/Fe with Fi/Te, sounds like a good combo)

ah, thanks! i'll definitely look into that. having said that, below my reply to starryknights, i have an additional question.

In my experience (keyword MY) – NFs do not somehow automatically adhere to traditional gender rolls/stereotypes. Yes, we can be a little on the romantic side. But the NFs that I know actually reject all the trappings generally associated with ‘what is feminine’ and ‘what is masculine’. In fact…the fact that you indicated that you ‘love make-up’ and utilized the word ‘panties’ instead of ‘underwear’ leads me to believe that you are far more feminine than I (and the other female NFs I know irl).

With that said…the INFP males I know irl (and the ISFP males as well)…tend to be slightly more feminine at heart – or I should say they possess characteristics that society may typically assign a label of ‘feminine’ in nature. In this way…perhaps he feels balanced out by you. I think this is a beautiful thing. I wouldn’t question it. I don’t know if this is what is coming into play in your situation – but either way I feel very happy for you!

thanks. please know that i didn't mean anything at all BAD about the NF females' differences. actually, you put it into words better than i did. what i meant was more of the softness, romance...ness? that i lack.

what you've both said does make sense. he's said practically the same thing regarding 'balance', and i do believe that he feels the way he says he does (however, that took quite a while), but it's that lingering hyper-awareness i have of this not being a good thing before. ever. meaning, my qualities have never been a man's balance this way.

here it is, the additional question. can someone define the phrase, 'balance each other out'? i can intuitively get it, but can't grasp it like i want to. like i need to right now.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
It could be similar to the reasons ENFPs around here love INTJs? You keep him emotionally grounded, while he takes you to deeper levels of emotional intimacy? Seems like a good balance to have in a relationship, and fun that you share Ne....

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It could be similar to the reasons ENFPs around here love INTJs? You keep him emotionally grounded, while he takes you to deeper levels of emotional intimacy? Seems like a good balance to have in a relationship, and fun that you share Ne....

hmm. that is a really good example of another way to see the same type thing. oddly, i understand it more when viewing it in others. what i get so easily is the part that the NT gets from the NF; what i don't get is what the NF gets from the NT. what is 'emotionally grounded'? see my problem?

maybe i'm so friggen grounded that my ability to see is blocked by all the dirt.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... but it's that lingering hyper-awareness i have of this not being a good thing before. ever. meaning, my qualities have never been a man's balance his way.

Ha ha, I think I know what you mean. Is this your first NF (or feeler)? That might explain it.

here it is, the additional question. can someone define the phrase, 'balance each other out'? i can intuitively get it, but can't grasp it like i want to. like i need to right now.

"Balance out", I would say, means that you have two people with opposing strengths and weaknesses. Two Js will probably often get into each others hair. Two Ps might just hang all day and never get anything done because they enforce each other's slacker tendencies (been there, done that!). If a P and a J get together, they might reach a healthy middle point and learn from each other. The P might get a bit more structured and the J might soften up a little. Or they divide tasks and everybody does what they are good at (the J organizes stuff and the P does the neccessary improvising, etc.). Pretty much the same thing goes for I and E, S and N and F and T.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ha ha, I think I know what you mean. Is this your first NF (or feeler)? That might explain it.

heh. yeah, it is. i've had plenty of NF friends, but never anything remotely romantic.

"Balance out", I would say, means that you have two people with opposing strengths and weaknesses. Two Js will probably often get into each others hair. Two Ps might just hang all day and never get anything done because they enforce each other's slacker tendencies (been there, done that!). If a P and a J get together, they might reach a healthy middle point and learn from each other. The P might get a bit more structured and the J might soften up a little. Or they divide tasks and everybody does what they are good at (the J organizes stuff and the P does the neccessary improvising, etc.). Pretty much the same thing goes for I and E, S and N and F and T.

okay, i get it. what i don't get is how the NT 'emotionally grounds' an NF. sounds painful.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
what i get so easily is the part that the NT gets from the NF; what i don't get is what the NF gets from the NT.

Me too. It's funny, 'cause I've heard Feelers who like Thinkers say the exact opposite (I recall a thread started by an F guy questioning why Ts would want to be with Fs, particularly T women). Our weaknesses are very noticeable to us, and when others have something we lack that's very noticeable too. It's usually harder to see the other side of the fence. Our strengths are natural to us; that's just how we are, we've never had to really think about it, and often it doesn't even occur to us that someone else might struggle with something that comes naturally to us.

I dunno, maybe some F can explain what they like about Ts.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm. that is a really good example of another way to see the same type thing. oddly, i understand it more when viewing it in others. what i get so easily is the part that the NT gets from the NF; what i don't get is what the NF gets from the NT. what is 'emotionally grounded'? see my problem?

maybe i'm so friggen grounded that my ability to see is blocked by all the dirt.

Emotionally grounded probably means that your first approach will be to Ne/Ti you way out of a problem (i.e. look for a creative but rational solution) while Fi/Ne might show a more emotional reaction ("OMG, that's just wrong! What's gonna happen now?"). That's how you repay your NF for his sweet mushiness and his teaching you to get in touch with your feelings (or whatever INFPs do :tongue10:)

More importantly: Have you asked him? If so, what does he say?
That might be more effective than having a bunch of strangers speculate about you two based only on type (unless this thread is really more of an academic question,...I just got the impression it was more of a personal matter)

G

Ginkgo

ah, thanks! i'll definitely look into that. having said that, below my reply to starryknights, i have an additional question.

thanks. please know that i didn't mean anything at all BAD about the NF females' differences. actually, you put it into words better than i did. what i meant was more of the softness, romance...ness? that i lack.

what you've both said does make sense. he's said practically the same thing regarding 'balance', and i do believe that he feels the way he says he does (however, that took quite a while), but it's that lingering hyper-awareness i have of this not being a good thing before. ever. meaning, my qualities have never been a man's balance this way.

Do you have any lingering expectation for him to be harder than he is?

A

Anew Leaf

Me too. It's funny, 'cause I've heard Feelers who like Thinkers say the exact opposite (I recall a thread started by an F guy questioning why Ts would want to be with Fs, particularly T women). Our weaknesses are very noticeable to us, and when others have something we lack that's very noticeable too. It's usually harder to see the other side of the fence. Our strengths are natural to us; that's just how we are, we've never had to really think about it, and often it doesn't even occur to us that someone else might struggle with something that comes naturally to us.

What I like about NT's:
  • They are objective
  • Good problem solvers
  • Good idea generators
  • Similar enough so they aren't an alien, but different enough to provide balance.
  • Let me be as emotional as I like, but help make sure that I don't go overboard.
  • Really good at getting to the center of an issue.
  • Much better about not taking things personally, and helping me do the same.

I like NFs for my friends, but in a SO, the last thing I need is someone cheering me on as I run pell-mell off the cliffs of insanity inside the Forest of Fi.

P.S. [MENTION=74]digesthisickness[/MENTION] - ENTPs are awesome! I love that Ne interaction. :)

Starry

please know that i didn't mean anything at all BAD about the NF females' differences. actually, you put it into words better than i did. what i meant was more of the softness, romance...ness? that i lack.

Oh whoops no. I totally took what you said at face-value - I didn't pick up on any vibe that you were saying or thinking anything 'bad' about NF females. And strangely (that we are on that subject) - that is what I like about NTs. I'm kinda too tired to speak to 'balancing each other out' and 'filling in each others blanks'...but I can tell you what I like about NTs. It is that in general they say what the mean and mean what they say. And they are difficult to offend. And it is all of THAT that makes NTs a comfort to be around. Like...as NF...I'm already hard-wired to 'please'...and try to think for others and anticipate their needs. God it can be so exhausting. It's like one big co-dependant relationship with the entire planet. And so being with an NT is a total relief. They are going to tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. They won't leave me guessing. In their presence I can let go of all that worry. It is a wonderful feeling.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

exactly! i've never had this situation come up personally before, and now that it has, suddenly it matters. it made 'okay' sense all of these years when hearing about these connections with others, but once in it, i find myself needing definitions, examples, knowledge, knowledge, knowledge. otherwise, i may accidentally screw something up. it IS romance, after all.

Emotionally grounded probably means that your first approach will be to Ne/Ti you way out of a problem (i.e. look for a creative but rational solution) while Fi/Ne might show a more emotional reaction ("OMG, that's just wrong! What's gonna happen now?"). That's how you repay your NF for his sweet mushiness and his teaching you to get in touch with your feelings (or whatever INFPs do :tongue10:)

maybe that's what i need, more problems. so i can pay attention to what's going on and learn from it.

More importantly: Have you asked him? If so, what does he say?
That might be more effective than having a bunch of strangers speculate about you two based only on type (unless this thread is really more of an academic question,...I just got the impression it was more of a personal matter)

i have indeed. basically, he repeats the same thing the NFs did at first. that i 'balance him out' and 'ground him', but when i ask him to explain, all he knows is that he loves me just like i am, and then he pounces. i can't concentrate with that crap going on.

it is academic as well. while it's based on my situation, it's mostly about type, since he and i actually get along beautifully. i figured type would be an okay basis for the questioning since when i asked him, he said what i'd heard so many NFs say so many times. perhaps this thread will help someone else as well. that would be a great bonus.

Do you have any lingering expectation for him to be harder than he is?

no, not at all. we'd butt heads if he changed. he stands up for himself, but as it is, we don't clash at all. we simply take the other for who and what they are, whether we agree or not, and instead of arguing, we just seem to add it to the 'things we know about the other' list.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
What I like about NT's:
  • They are objective
  • Good problem solvers
  • Good idea generators
  • Similar enough so they aren't an alien, but different enough to provide balance.
  • Let me be as emotional as I like, but help make sure that I don't go overboard.
  • Really good at getting to the center of an issue.
  • Much better about not taking things personally, and helping me do the same.

I like NFs for my friends, but in a SO, the last thing I need is someone cheering me on as I run pell-mell off the cliffs of insanity inside the Forest of Fi.

P.S. [MENTION=74]digesthisickness[/MENTION] - ENTPs are awesome! I love that Ne interaction. :)

wow, great list. it helped a lot. the explanation did as well. i hadn't given thought to the fact that he can be as NF as he likes around me, and he can. it's also true that i don't take things personally, which he found out early on. as a matter of fact, now that i think about it, when he began opening up to me, he found out quickly that i'm also practically impossible to shock, and he seemed to appreciate that. that i took what he carried as a secret weight inside him as simply "being human" and took it further by appreciating his honesty and openness. hmm. thanks.

Oh whoops no. I totally took what you said at face-value - I didn't pick up on any vibe that you were saying or thinking anything 'bad' about NF females. And strangely (that we are on that subject) - that is what I like about NTs. I'm kinda too tired to speak to 'balancing each other out' and 'filling in each others blanks'...but I can tell you what I like about NTs. It is that in general they say what the mean and mean what they say. And they are difficult to offend. And it is all of THAT that makes NTs a comfort to be around. Like...as NF...I'm already hard-wired to 'please'...and try to think for others and anticipate their needs. God it can be so exhausting. It's like one big co-dependant relationship with the entire planet. And so being with an NT is a total relief. They are going to tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. They won't leave me guessing. In their presence I can let go of all that worry. It is a wonderful feeling.

i hadn't thought of that either! i mean i knew it, but i didn't recognize it as important. didn't see its significance, until you pointed it out. so helpful to see that what i take for granted is actually an appreciated thing, and to think that i do that for someone i care about so much, well, it makes me feel as though my part in this does matter after all. thanks to you too!

Are you sure you don't want him to get hard for you?

i never have the chance. i call it the elephant in the room.

A

Anew Leaf

wow, great list. it helped a lot. the explanation did as well. i hadn't given thought to the fact that he can be as NF as he likes around me, and he can. it's also true that i don't take things personally, which he found out early on. as a matter of fact, now that i think about it, when he began opening up to me, he found out quickly that i'm also practically impossible to shock, and he seemed to appreciate that. that i took what he carried as a secret weight inside him as simply "being human" and took it further by appreciating his honesty and openness. hmm. thanks.

You're welcome! :) (INFP here btw) What starry says is spot on as well.

I can take care of myself and my problems pretty well on my own, but it is a relief to have someone more calm and collected than me to turn to when I really need it.

I also think that NTs make me more of an honest person. (Not in regards to being a liar or something.) Because they can handle the truth (and usually want just the truth), they make me better equipped to handle the truth myself. NF's aren't always the best at facing things head-on. At least that is definitely a weak spot with myself... but I am getting better at it! :) In no small part thanks to several NTs I have dated.

In return I think I have been good at giving my NTs a safe place to be emotional without me judging them as being "weak."

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a woman, so I can't offer insight into the male INFP specifically, but as an INFP, I have a few ideas:

- NTs can feel like a "mind mate". Intellectual stimulation is huge for me, and I'd guess for many INFPs. Playful, interesting discussion often occurs with another NP
in a way you don't experience with other types.
- In regards to ENTPs, they are extroverts, and in a sense, I find their demeanor "warmer" than, say, some fellow IxFx types, due to being outgoing & more expressive with ideas/thoughts. I especially find this true of female ENTPs, who seem to have to develop their tert Fe a bit earlier in life. So he may appreciate an outgoing demeanor which contrasts his more reserved, introverted one. Extroversion is actually associated with femininity & introversion with masculinity, so in that sense, you sort of are a traditional pair.
- INFPs often get called upon a lot to play therapist to their friends/family, and it can be emotionally draining. If you're emotionally low-maintenance, then he may find that a breath of fresh air. I mean, I know I do get sick of talking about feelings sometimes....really!
- Both being NPs, your approach to life in many ways may be similar, which eases conflict. I'm reading a book right now which details pros & cons of every MBTI pairing, and P+P relationships showed the least conflict over everyday, mundane issues like chores & plans.

What I personally don't like & find patronizing
- I don't need or want someone to think or make decisions for me
- I don't need someone to handle my emotions for me; someone to listen & be sympathetic is more than enough
- I don't want someone to think they're giving me perspective by belittling my feelings & perspective

Especially since he is a man, I'd be careful not to be condescending towards him in these areas. I've seen a few INFP men complain they hate being "mothered" in a relationship. Sometimes because they are quiet & easygoing & - I'll just say it - a bit passive, these women with strong personalities steamroll them (often ExxJs). At first, the lazy P may go along with it, but over time, resent it. I can't see an ENTP wanting to take a guy on as a pet project & mother him, though, so you probably have that advantage also. INFPs are actually pretty independent & appreciate people who let them do their own thing in their own way, and being NPs, ENTPs are pretty similar.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
nothing is wrong with him! :)

sometimes too much alike is too much to take.

i tend to prefer NJs and e3 and e8. serious, foresighted, assertive types. regardless of gender, they tend to be stereotypically more masculine. more in control. me - ENFP 6 - i'm more stereotypically feminine. which, me being a girl and all, that works fine, but it really is just all about the balance. i play yin and i like a yang - and when i'm well-balanced, the roles easily reverse.

(just read more thread) - i think in terms of balance, it's like the other person being stronger in areas you're weaker, but still being on the same basic page. since you guys share NP, you probably have a pretty similar way of looking at a lot of things, but T/F and I/E will mean you're both stronger in certain areas than the other.

me, i tend to lean emotionally on the other person because i feel things so deeply in the moment and tend to be a bit of a loose cannon. someone who is more assertive, who is more of a "rock", can counteract that tendency in me. whereas i have a strength of making people feel comfortable to open up and be at ease, so i can offer that to them in return. they can be strong for me and i can be weak for them... which flips into the opposite sometimes. i can rage like a fire when threatened and be strong for them, and they can open up and trust and share themselves emotionally and be weak for me - and we both have enough strength in those areas to be able to handle one anothers' relative incompetences.

digesthisickness said:
what i don't get is how the NT 'emotionally grounds' an NF. sounds painful.

oh no, it's lovely. i think NFs have a tendency to be very fluid and to mirror others. if an NFP encounters something emotionally troubling, we can be thrown into chaos and turbulence inside. coming across someone "grounded" is like finding a zen garden in the middle of a jungle. interacting with them changes my inner landscape... i mirror their serenity instead of the raging storm.

Are you sure you don't want him to get hard for you?

:rofl1:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Someone posted somewhere else on the forum that they can't imagine anything being girlier than having a vagina. It was really well-said. :laugh:

I can't really describe it. To me, girls and guys have both masculine and feminine traits.. or what's been stereotypically assigned as gender-associated.
I think a girl that's in touch with both sides of these traits is more well-rounded, and a guy could appreciate that a lot. Guys still have to be able to relate to someone and be their friend when in a relationship with them--If you did absolutely everything in the most feminine way possible you might as well be an alien, he might not be able to connect to you so well.. :shrug: So he prefers some masculine traits to show. That's my initial guess on it all.