• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFPs, do you have weird body language?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
almost everyone comments on my weird body language, is it an NFP thing to have weird body language?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not sure if its an NFP thing. The ENFPs I know certainly don't and I don't know any other INFPs (that I determine with any degree of certainty) to say for my own type.

I'm suspect my own body language is pretty weird and awkward. I'm definitely not naturally graceful and I'm not conscious enough about my movements to be able to amend them. And in the passing moments when I do become suddenly conscious of them, I often stop in embarrassment and think "what the hell am I doing?!". :shock:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm. what do you mean by weird?

i definitely gesticulate a fair amount. that may be in part the cultural background of my family though. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't notice it with ENFPs. They seem to be better chameleons.

I suspect I have weird body language, partly because people misinterpret it a lot. I appear cold/disinterested to others when I am not (I know, because they've told me). I also think I can seem, well, "out of it", almost like a drunk :D. I don't think I could walk a straight line if you paid me.
I can relate to all [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] says. I can vacillate between being totally unaware & hyper-aware. When I am hyper-aware, I feel even more awkward, as every move feels so contrived, and I feel like that is obvious to others.

The few INFPs I've met confirm my fears. They all seem kind of out of it, awkward, unaware of their own bodies.

rav3n

I hold the wiggly mental image in mind because of a couple of ENFP friends. Their body language isn't definitive or fluid. They "waste" energy.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Do mean something like "fidgety"? I suppose I have noticed that with ENFPs, but ESFPs also....

rav3n

Not fidgety, exaggerated or spastic. Can't find the right words to describe them beyond...wiggly.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I tend to not know what to do with my arms / hands :)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The ENFPs I know tend to play up their body language and gestures to amusing affect. One I know can be almost a caricature of herself... I almost see her tune her body language (and tone of voice, etc) to amuse the particular people she's interacting with. She doesn't seem unnatural or stiff doing so, but almost like she's emphasizing her own quirkiness to get the ball rolling socially. At times, it can seem like she's a comedian doing an entertaining schtick for an audience.

As an overly self-conscious INFP, it took me a long time to figure out that I don't come across nearly as awkwardly as I feel I do. I've been told I still come across as shy at first (especially if I am the center of attention), but not awkward or inappropriate. I suspect my body language is fairly understated, especially around people I don't know really well.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, I truly do. I have a lot of nervous energy, I move in a fidgety way, and the more energized I get, the wackier I move. I'll be telling a story, and as I start getting laughs, my body language becomes more and more animated and dramatic. My speech also becomes rapid and colourful as well. My manager once half-jokingly told me that I "abuse inflection". People often have to tell me to slow down or to stop bouncing/fidgeting/whatever. When I have an audience, and I notice I'm moving in a funny way, I will parody myself, in a sort of self-deprecating way, exaggerating my movements. It's half unconscious though. I have some control over it once I notice I'm doing it, which is usually when I notice people reacting to it, usually in an amused way, sometimes in a scornful way.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes.

The ENFPs I know tend to play up their body language and gestures to amusing affect. One I know can be almost a caricature of herself... I almost see her tune her body language (and tone of voice, etc) to amuse the particular people she's interacting with. She doesn't seem unnatural or stiff doing so, but almost like she's emphasizing her own quirkiness to get the ball rolling socially. At times, it can seem like she's a comedian doing an entertaining schtick for an audience.

= hiding in plain sight.

I learned a long time ago that my body language is off somehow, which caused a lot of trouble. I learned to overdo my behavior, as I wasn't able to curb it without feeling unhappy, as a way to a) convey the message that the behavior is not to be taken seriously or responded to, b) entertain others, c) hiding my true self in plain sight as a self-defense mechanism and a test for the people around me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah... I think so, nobody has ever commented on it, though. I also think I have the tendency to be a bit intense in one on one conversation, facial expressions, eye contact, etc.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it has been commented on a lot by lots of people yeah. :blush:

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
My god.

You xNFPs are adorable.

More specifically the INFPs.

You're all just so fucking cute that I could cuddle you all like you're bunnies!

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm really fidgety and have a lot of little nervous habits, like playing with my hair and rubbing my fingers. sometimes i'll become really conscious of my arms and have no idea what to do with them. i'm just physically awkward. i've been told i have a really expressive face, i can't really control it. especially my "judging you" face.