• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs having hypothetical conversations in our own heads

SpacemanSpiff

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a tendency to imagine having entire conversations with people I know. For a long time I thought it was some strange phenomenon unique to me, but a few days ago, one of my other INFP friends admitted to something similar. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a common occurrence for INFPs (or perhaps other types) to do this. It does seem like a very INFP thing to do.

does anyone else do this, or have any insight on it?

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I used to do this more or less all the time basically. I do it not as much anymore as I used to though, which has to do though with my overall social situation.

I don't know if this is only limited to INFPs, but I think I heard from other INFPs here that they do the same.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yup, all the time.

sometimes it's replaying past conversations and changing them around, sometimes it's rehearsing future ones that may or may not ever happen. and other times i just make shit up.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its not just INFP thing, other types do it too. i do it pretty much all the time

A

Anew Leaf

I have a tendency to imagine having entire conversations with people I know. For a long time I thought it was some strange phenomenon unique to me, but a few days ago, one of my other INFP friends admitted to something similar. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a common occurrence for INFPs (or perhaps other types) to do this. It does seem like a very INFP thing to do.

does anyone else do this, or have any insight on it?

Part of the reason why I am quiet is because I have already used all of my daily quota words with the people inside my own head.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do it too and I'm no INFP. An INTP I know does this as well.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I only do this when I sense that there's a conflict with others without any chance of confrontation.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I totally do this. Sometimes to my own detriment, i'll imagine a conversation as going MUCH worse than it does in reality.

But yes, this is something i do all the time.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not an INFP, but I do this too... Often they escalate into arguments.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I do this. And sometimes it gets overwhelming, because I am anticipating a conversation, and imagining all possible answers, no matter how esoteric.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kinda thought this was a introvert thing.
P.S. I do it so often, I forget to have actual conversations.

I've been doing this so long that it's pretty much the default state of my mind right now. I can't even switch the stupid thing off unless I try actively. :yapyapyap:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd admit that I do this moderately. I can get lost in my own head, but not so much with conversations. If I have something very important to say (like if I am meeting up with someone I haven't seen for a long time because my Fe sucks) and feel as though something NEEDS to be said, I practice in advance. Also, when I decide to call bullshit on close friends, I will practice outloud with my boyfriend or brother the various avenues to communicate it, the best wording, the possible angles to approach it, and how it will go from there. Do INFP's do this? Because what I'm describing here seems to have more to do with ENFP's manuevering conversations to go a certain way.. almost a manipulation. Hmmm. Kinda makes me feel bad :blush:
Generally I don't prepare, and do trust that everything that needs to be said will be said.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intuitive thing to do maybe? Asking yourself "what if they say this or that?" results in these conversations, I haven't done it in a while as far as I can remember. I know an ISFJ who plans out entire conversations, you wouldn't even notice it because he weaves it seamlessly.

Oh, I don't plan out conversations that I'm going to have myself in the foreseeable future. That wouldn't do any good because I would probably get distracted and end up saying almost none of what I'd planned, so why bother?

What I do is I have conversations with people (sometimes real but mostly imaginary) or arrange conversations between two or more people (once again, mostly imaginary and occasionally real) in my head for funsies.

Well, it used to be for funsies, now it's mostly just mental chatter.