• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What makes INFP's feel better?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
When INFP's are depressed, not personality disorder or chemical balances, just kinda depressed with life.. what are things that make them feel better? What has helped you out of this rutt, or made you feel better?

I have an INFP friend that has been a bit sad, for like a few years now. He laughs about it sometimes.. as if its just his lot in life..and it breaks my heart. I want to help him. No not save him or fix him, I know better.. but just find a way to maybe break through and offer some relief. Thing is, I recognize that ENFP's might act a bit differently when really sad than an INFP. FOr me, I tend to distract myself with surface goodies. I know its shallow and silly, but it works.

But I don't know if getting him to come out of his cave to do things will be helpful or seen as a drain. I don't know if getting him to talk more about it, and try to inspire him to shift perspectives will be seen as meddlesome or intrusive. He admitted to me that he has opened up and confided in me more than many close friends and family that are already very supportive, and I'm sure this is because NFP's can relate so well.

Advice is very much appreciated. Speculation is okay.. but I really want to know.. what has worked for you?

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think it is already good that he has a good friend like you who he can open up with and who bothers enough to help him out a bit. I would imagine that would make things for him already much easier than without.

I don't know if there is much you can do on a direct way. It might very well be that if you try to talk about it with him that he might feel awkward and unwilling to speak about it, but if he has really built up much trust to you and you could maybe give some additional reassurances, maybe it could work, otherwise he will probably try to avoid the topic or talk it down. If that happens you shouldn't press on it though, that would make him feel very uncomfortable and less likely to open up, but rather change the topic. Someone once wrote here in this forum that they might even get back to the topic later again from themselves; while I wouldn't count on it, I think it is best to not pressure on it either way.

Otherwise you can just be there for him indirectly. Just spend some more time with him, and show him that he can talk to you about anything. That is all I could think of now.

PS: That is mostly how I could imagine myself in that situation. I cannot speak of real experience because I didn't have a good, close friend who I could talk about my issues with really.

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
When INFP's are depressed, not personality disorder or chemical balances, just kinda depressed with life.. what are things that make them feel better? What has helped you out of this rutt, or made you feel better?

I have an INFP friend that has been a bit sad, for like a few years now. He laughs about it sometimes.. as if its just his lot in life..and it breaks my heart. I want to help him. No not save him or fix him, I know better.. but just find a way to maybe break through and offer some relief. Thing is, I recognize that ENFP's might act a bit differently when really sad than an INFP. FOr me, I tend to distract myself with surface goodies. I know its shallow and silly, but it works.

But I don't know if getting him to come out of his cave to do things will be helpful or seen as a drain. I don't know if getting him to talk more about it, and try to inspire him to shift perspectives will be seen as meddlesome or intrusive. He admitted to me that he has opened up and confided in me more than many close friends and family that are already very supportive, and I'm sure this is because NFP's can relate so well.

Advice is very much appreciated. Speculation is okay.. but I really want to know.. what has worked for you?

Doing this, more or less. Hmm, how do I put it..? Forgetting about the bigger issues by engaging in smaller scale activities, or things that are kinda repetitive and mind-numbing. I'll think of more when I can, but doing these type of things act as a release valve for me when I get too stressed on a day-to-day basis. For the bigger depression, well, small victories are paramount, so it seems to help, but sometimes its more escapism than a viable means of treatment.

I don't know what you can do to help him other than what you're already doing. :( Sorry

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The only way to cure depression is, I think, to have big changes in your life conditions (by that I mean improvements), and this requires a lot of Te and willpower, or faith. A lot of INFPs find real life problems overwhelming and tend to withdraw -- Te stresses them out, so does planning, and real action. While I know it's not helpful at all to say "pull yourself together", I think it would be helpful if you could help point him in the right direction and give him constant encouragement along the way. I think INFPs appreciate gentle nudges to help get them going :blush:

From what you say, you're already doing a good job. He's lucky to have a friend like you!

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
In terms of offering some relief, do you know anybody with some spare golden retriever puppies you could borrow?

[YOUTUBE="tAchiUjdBJw"]Puppy therapy![/YOUTUBE]

I think you're already being a great friend if he feels he can tell you more than he can tell those who already support him.

Another slightly random thought... is it possible that he is quite happy being sad? (In case he has melancholy, not depression.) Does he get insights from being sad?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Getting that drank on, speculating existence with other so/sp 5s. Listening to an entp on an unreal streak.

Last one cures anything.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
/examines thread for cure.

I have issues.

I want to see. I can tell some philosphical/ mystical ideas. However, I think I need a friend like you.

A

Anew Leaf

I used to be like that. I think it's the curse of an INFP in their 20's :). Life is so hard!!! /says with mock angst.

What "cured" me:
  • Cognitive behavior therapy
  • Taking quality time out for myself (ie, staying single for a couple of years and working on areas that I need/want improvement in)
  • Learning to express myself more instead of keeping it bottled up inside
  • Writing/painting/art/being creative
  • Making exercise a priority
  • Getting out into nature
  • Planning vacations, goals, something positive to look forward into the future

Now when I have down days, I pull from these resources to find a "solution". Some days what I need to do is go hang out with a friend, or I need to spend time alone. Last week was super crappy for me. I was run down, feeling sad, and overall just BLECH. I ended up carving out almost the full weekend for myself. I informed a couple of friends and family what I was doing, then I turned my cell phone off. I went biking, did some sewing, read books, watched the IT Crowd, sang along to music, ate fun food, and slept a lot. Come Monday I felt 100% better.

So not saying that this is a "one size fits all" solution, but perhaps it can give you something to springboard off of with your friend.

With myself as an INFP what I discovered the most in my life journey is that any changes I make have to come from within myself. For example, I dated an INTJ for almost 5 years and he spent most of that time trying to make me into an INTJ. Years later I have actually implemented some of the ideas he had, but I couldn't do it until it was my own plan and idea.

Overall just be there for him as you are able to yourself. :) there is something magical about having another NF friend to talk to, especially an NFP one. My mom was an ENFP and I really miss that kind of super NFP connection we had because I hardly had to explain myself at all! :)

P.s. I just realized some stuff that other people can do for me that helps!

• Be a listening ear
  • Let me just hang out with them doing normal low key things
  • Bring me flowers
  • Write me something special and nice that they have noticed about me
  • Give me a new perspective on whats going on in my life, ie find the silver clouds among the stormy linings.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

This may sound weird but... I think when someone is in a years-long rut like that (if that's what you think it is), feeling low & down for a long period of time, it will take a deep, life-stirring experience to wake them up.. something that jars them on an unignorable emotional level... & you really can't help to bring that about in any way other than maybe point them in a direction where they might have that experience. An example of this, which the common person might be familiar with is what happens sometimes with Alcoholics Anonymous in the US, someone will go in at an absolute low & something about the program, or the people in the meetings will stir them to life again, & it could be something that could seem like a very simple thing to a passing observer, but to someone within, feeling the pain from inside it could mean life-or-death.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
1. Fluffy bunnies
2. Puppies
3. Rainbows
4. Substance abuse

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I'm in a funk, and doing some thing fairly constructive helps...it feels like I'm moving forward then, so maybe help him plan some thing, even if it's just talk and shooting the breeze. It might seem kinda lame, but it's like a little patch of blue sky in the horizon, when it's pouring with rain. A bit of hope. Also doing some of those lame ass household chores I always seem to put off for forever helps too, so maybe motivate him to do some thing he's putting off. I personally get so trapped in my head and thoughts, that routine mundane stuff kinda grounds me.
Big kudos points, might be if you take him to some nature, preferably away from peeps...I like trips to mountains and lakes...some how that kinda fills me back up and balances me. Even the beach or botanic gardens help in a pinch. Having contact with green things is cheering.

A

Anew Leaf

Here is what cheers me up the most: NFP antics with another NFP.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
When I'm in a funk, and doing some thing fairly constructive helps...it feels like I'm moving forward then, so maybe help him plan some thing, even if it's just talk and shooting the breeze. It might seem kinda lame, but it's like a little patch of blue sky in the horizon, when it's pouring with rain. A bit of hope. Also doing some of those lame ass household chores I always seem to put off for forever helps too, so maybe motivate him to do some thing he's putting off. I personally get so trapped in my head and thoughts, that routine mundane stuff kinda grounds me.
Big kudos points, might be if you take him to some nature, preferably away from peeps...I like trips to mountains and lakes...some how that kinda fills me back up and balances me. Even the beach or botanic gardens help in a pinch. Having contact with green things is cheering.

Yes, these are good things. It's weird that I always forget about them. Maybe it has something to do with us being so freaking abstract all the time that it is hard to remember that this kind of everyday stuff can help. I think I should really walk in the nature everyday, but I can't get the routine started. Whenever I walk and just watch the nature I don't have to think so much, and even the thoughts that have been running in circles will dissolve. I think the same goes for concrete chores. I don't have to think, I don't need a strategy to clean up the house, I just do it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- Making it safe for me to talk about it (you're not going to be scared off, write me off as a downer, avoid me afterwards, etc).

- Listening to me vent & NOT offering advice (99% of the time I've thought of 99% of what people have to say myself, and there are good reasons I've ruled it out). Realize that I don't talk about this stuff easily & that what depresses me is not little stuff that is easily solved. I also dislike a bubbly, cheerleader approach as I find it patronizing, and I find a "suck it up" approach dismissive. I prefer when a person is calm & supportive, but not overtly trying to influence me.

- You can point out what is good in my life right now, but not in a way that trivializes my feelings, as if I have no right to be down. Instead, point out the good in a way that emphasizes you just see me as capable of overcoming the bad.

- In line with that last point, I respond better to encouragement than anything. Most of the time, I just need someone to believe in me when I don't. I need to hear that I am capable of getting out of a rut.

- Once I'm done talking, changing the topic/scenery/whatever, because I'm NOT looking to dwell on it. I DO want to move onto a better mood & more positive conversation.

- I agree with whoever said that accomplishing small things helps. If I can't make a major change in my life, then making little improvements where it's possible helps. It might be finally hanging a shelf I've meant to hang or whatever. Suggesting lending me a hand might motivate me and that can be a positive domino affect in other areas of my life.

G

Ginkgo

b3213aaa-a802-4840-ac97-5ba8a410e668.jpg