• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Hey NFs give me your opinion on ENTPs?

Tofu562

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm my father is an ENTP... Being an ENFP raised by an ENTP gives me some unique advantages I think.

ohd1122

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ENFPs? My take on the ENTPs I know irl are I can see a kindred spirit in them and can go on adventures with, there's a shared rapport and zest for life. I'm like, "Ooh, play with me! :D"

OR I think they are the biggest asshole and wish someone would slap that smug undeserved grin off your face. I mean...his or her face. True story. It also depends on if I have to work with you or if it's just socially. Cause if I have to work with you conflict is more unavoidable and an ENTP who thinks they are god's gift to X and are right about something (when they are clearly not) are some of the most condescending and frustrating people to work with.

This.

I'm 24. My boss at work is an ENTP who is 34. He's fantastic, though if I met a ten years more junior version of him I would deck him, guaranteed. He's at least learned to tone down his personality enough to where it's bearable, probably due to the fact that he married a very strong woman. I think I tolerate him better than some (female INTJ at work still seems to hate him). The great thing about him is that he very evidently cares for people and is genuinely a good guy. However, I see the obnoxious from time to time. He loves to debate and argue to push people's thinking as well as his own, which I think is great.

Basically, you can yell and scream and beat on ENTPs as much as you want and they won't mind :D

INTPs, like my roommate, are a completely different breed...:shrug:

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I know one well. I get on with him better after understanding MBTI a bit better.

I appreciate the ENTP's ability to grasp ideas, notions, and projects on the grander scale. They can see deep into the core of something. However, they work out the problem from the outside in, rather than ENTJs, who do it from the inside out. ENTPs are bothered by small details; they want to see things happen and move their (usually technical) dream into the physical sphere. They have a tremendous energy for mobilisation and I have a lot of respect for that. However, ENTPs can be one-track minded. If you don't agree with them, that's it. When an ENTP gets started, it's "all your base are belong to us": there are no prisoners. ENTPs can also be horrendously disconnected from people. They view them as a curious and sometimes poorly-functioning components of their master plan. While they can be quite affable, they seem prone to social gaffes and are not always terribly good at dealing with wit or linguistic sleight of hand. Anecdotes are the name of the game.

As an INFP, I can identify with ENTPs. They like people who do not bullshit them. They also dare to dream a dream. The problem is that sometimes it seems like they simply can't relate to anyone. An emotional response in someone else can make their eyes glaze over; someone who dissents and says their plan may genuinely upset people will be met with cold eyes. The thinking seems to be "Why would anyone be upset with this logical plan?" If it makes sense, in the grander scheme of things, to close one area of a business because it's performing poorly, the ENTP is the one to make that decision. The 500 people who lose their jobs are merely a consequence; it's tough, but they have to deal with it: it's for the best. INFPs will also respond with emotions; ENTPs, with logic. "Why don't you understand me!" seems to be the chorus of both.

There is an element which suggests the ENTP carries a lot on his shoulders. I understand that, too. They are deep thinkers and they explore ideas from lots of angles. They become irritated when people question their ideas: "Why are you complaining about that? I already thought about it and decided it wasn't important!" This thinking on behalf of others is very similar to the INFP, who does a lot of feeling on behalf of others. Continuing the business analogy, the INFPs would be the ones to say "But what about the families of those people you've just made redundant? How will they feed their families? How must they all be feeling?" Here is where the ENTP/INFP relationship can turn sour.

If I were the CEO of a business, I would explain my vision to an ENTP, and ask her to implement. If she believed in what she was building, she would not spare herself in realising that goal. Woe betide he who is in her way.

That is how I see the ENTP.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Except for the disturbingly shallow brand of emotion sported by most ENTPs i've known...
I know several quite well. None seem to have much Fi at all. That usually results in a sense of humor that offends people.
If they try to be in tune with stuff, they can be really fun. Especially fun if times are good, and you're just having fun.
I'd perhaps not be all that inclined to trust one with anything more important than dinner, though.
They are good entertainers and quite logical... That's both the blessing and the curse of their kind.
I'm sort of semi-fond of ENTPs. Usually. Some more or less than others, obviously.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are the quotes in your signature from?

Seems like a really interesting work / book (not workbook).

Who? Me? You didn't put a quote in your post.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What are the quotes in your signature from?

Seems like a really interesting book / work.

The first is from James Boswell's account of Samuel Johnson.

The second is from Sentimental Education by Gustav Flaubert. The original French is much better, but I didn't want to risk scorn born of my prententiousness by posting the a quote from the original.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's an overall pretty sad picture you have of ENTPs, I'd never put more value into an imaterial thing over people or for my own benefit. Quite on the contrary I tend to be always the idiot who stands up against injustice and thats a thing that makes you very alone. I cant change the fact that I dont react so easily with emotions to things, the emotions are a of a very phlegmatic, sedate nature and take time to come to fruitition. I do respect every one for his opinion, even religious opinions but I dont need to share them, since I am a free man. I cant stand people tho who have to overwhelmingly carry to the outside their deep rooted connections to feelings and morality. I have seen enough people posing as the benevolent pedagogues of humanity and then when things got hot they acted purely egoistical.

Furthermore I think especially you as NFs should know the best that you cant lump together the whole entp type just like that, after all there is still some thing like individuality. I have recognized that I did myself sometimes associate bad things with one type thru one person and suddenly after that everybody who did a bad thing similiar to what I experienced was that type for me. This a pretty narrow-minded way to view the world, imo.

The last thing that bugged me is that you thought entps leave you no choice but to agree with them in a discussion. Thats completly wrong, its quite the contrary, entps love exactly the versatility in a discussion and would always try to encourage that. Just because we may talk very harshly sometimes its no attempt to cow someone, it is because we have deep emotions ourself and tho these most often mainifest themselves in passion or anger only and may not be tho nuanced, we develop them and try to get them to know over the course of all our lifes. The only thing that is important to us in a discussion is that the other one understood us correctly. Since Ti and Fi are very opposite often, I experience often with my gf that we just not speak the same language. But it doesnt bother me, I know that she loves me and then she doesnt have to understand everything like I do. I am rather inclined to learn her way and since Fi is a very subjective personal function, it tends to be different in everyone I meet. It's like a roadmap to the past that can tell you what this person may have experienced and how she became what she is nowadays. Its more difficult to see that with entps, what was a problem for my gf; being a walking mystery is no intention of me, it's just because I try to have an impersonal opinion, so I can stay fair in a juridical way.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's an overall pretty sad picture you have of ENTPs, I'd never put more value into an imaterial thing over people or for my own benefit. Quite on the contrary I tend to be always the idiot who stands up against injustice and thats a thing that makes you very alone.

I'd agree with that.

The last thing that bugged me is that you thought entps leave you no choice but to agree with them in a discussion.

Not a discussion, but decision-making. ENTPs are "good at discussions", I'd say. But their decision-making can be seen as cold and clinical.

A

Anew Leaf

ENTPs:

Pluses: (Most of these are what I have discovered after getting to know multiple ENTPs on a deeper basis rather than just the funny guy at some party wearing a lamp shade.)
  • Ne conversations are so much fun.
  • Very sweet and affectionate
  • Clever and witty
  • Pretty easygoing/flexible
  • Extremely loyal if you get into their inner circle
  • Will go to bat for you in a heartbeat if they think you need help
  • Good idea generator
  • Super creative
  • Just plain FUN to be around!
  • You can do stupid stuff with them and they will love you for it. My best friend in college was an ENTP and Coke came to our uni to give away free Surge cans (BLECH) and so we would load up on them during the day, and then throw them off bridges at night.

Cons:
  • They. Have. No. Indoor. Voices.
  • Ne-doms can get exhausting. After awhile I feel like I am gorging on doughnuts and my Fi is screaming for some carrot sticks of solitude and seriousness.
  • Almost TOO curious at times where it can be invasive. "I said I am not in the mood to talk about this right now.... can we talk about this tomorrow?" "OMG YOU MUST TELL ME NOW!!!!!!!!!"
  • Can get hurt easily by off-hand comments (Not necessarily a Con per se... just more of a precaution)
  • They like being inappropriate at times to gauge reactions of other people, and this doesn't always go over well.
  • If they get into a paranoid/Fe loop, they can drive you insane with their need for lots of attention and affection.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The problem is always that what may appear to you as an offhand-comment, when it was made about me, I try to understand it and weave it into a big net of interpretation. It's a major flaw of this whole Ne apparatus, it never stops, there just no point in space and time the faculty to overinterprete would leave me alone. I am quite sure that I'll end up in the asylum before I become 50.

The other side of the coin is tho, while entps may be increasingly sensitive to any offhand-comment, they are seldom sensitive to their own-offhand comments. Imo that defuses the whole thing a bit and shows that by the end of the day we are all human with similiar issues :)

P.S.: Throwing coke cans into nature is deeply non-NF :D

A

Anew Leaf

The problem is always that what may appear to you as an offhand-comment, when it was made about me, I try to understand it and weave it into a big net of interpretation. It's a major flaw of this whole Ne apparatus, it never stops, there just no point in space and time the faculty to overinterprete would leave me alone. I am quite sure that I'll end up in the asylum before I become 50.

The other side of the coin is tho, while entps may be increasingly sensitive to any offhand-comment, they are seldom sensitive to their own-offhand comments. Imo that defuses the whole thing a bit and shows that by the end of the day we are all human with similiar issues :)

Haha, well the event that happened that made me think of that is this:

I was over at a friends house and there was a small group of us watching movies. I have three friends who are brothers who are all ENTPs. Another friend who is an INTJ was drinking a bit too much and suddenly goes, "hey! *points at the ENTPs* your last name sounds like hymen!! hahahaah* The 3 ENTPs all started laughing, and the rest of us laughed as well. Then you could literally watch them get sad faced about it... slowly they stopped laughing, and got kinda frowny face/emo... The INTJ started making "I have broken you" jokes, and the ENTPs didn't laugh at all and started getting pouty and sullen. When normally they are pretty easygoing and joking about everything.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well dunno what has gotten into them. Maybe there was an event in the past with their last name that wasnt so pleasant and they got reminded of it. From my experience I generally do not respond pretty well to teasing or bullieing. Jokes like that are most often done by people with a somewhat lesser intelligence and I cant really laugh about it. I dont join groups too in teasing the group nerd. On the contrary I think when they tease someone to much, I'll side with him and defend him with one quick blow in the nuts. I have the philosophy that I think, what goes around comes around and I consider teasing to be a very low form of intelligence as said. Dunnjo whats gotten into the three, wasnt that big teasing, maybe it was as said something from the past or another thing part of the big picture in that situation. When people tease me I usually laugh about it and pretend I wasnt hurt, but with really heavy teasers I tend to part ways quite quickly. I dont want to go down on their level of intelligence and to tease back. If I tho am left with no option and the guy wouldnt stop teasing me, I'd fire back. I tho never have been in that situation yet nor get I teased often by people. Being a nice guy pays off in that regards and its either that or the fact that I look frightening :D

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Pros: creative, witty, fun, likes to be the center of attention, loyal, super smart, charming, confident, gregarious, can be counted on for good straight forward advice, talented, the life of the party!

Cons: likes to debate, snatchy, impatient, can be mean, short tempered, reckless, over indulgent, egotistical, diabolical, too blunt at times.

These descriptions fall for ENFP too, right? So what are the main differences between the two?

I've seen many people saying that ENTP is the ideal type for INFJ. Can anyone share their experiences about this pairing?

Yesterday I've met with an ENTJ and I felt there's no sparks nor connections after spending the weekend with him. I wonder if other INFJs also felt this way?

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
These descriptions fall for ENFP too, right? So what are the main differences between the two?

I've seen many people saying that ENTP is the ideal type for INFJ. Can anyone share their experiences about this pairing?

Yesterday I've met with an ENTJ and I felt there's no sparks nor connections after spending the weekend with him. I wonder if other INFJs also felt this way?

I know an INFJ & ENTJ couple. They seem to be quite good together (both are friends of mine). I think the INFJ (girl) feels like she can extract the "secrect feelings" of the ENTJ, which pleases her. ENTJ is probably soppy, but is from a family of brothers, so never really shows feelings like that.