• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Authenticity - and how it applies to the NFP

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, the way I see it, if you genuinely care about not hurting other people, if one of your biggest priorities is the way your loved ones feel, then you're not being inauthentic at all...you're doing what feels authentic to you, even if it means sometimes keeping quiet.

I think it's inauthentic to pretend you care about someone you don't, though. The ISFJ I already mentioned says he nods and smiles at people he doesn't know well, but is more his true self about people he cares about. The thing is, I do that too and I'm not an SFJ. The primary difference is that I really don't give much of a damn about things like "being embarrassed in public" because my thinking is if those people don't matter to me, then what they think of me doesn't matter, while the ISFJ might genuinely think it's rude to subject other people to that.

So neither way is less genuine. It's just a difference in prioritizing.

maybe the isfj feels he is authentic by doing so. you said having the motive to authenticity is ok but how can we judge if people feel like having it or dont

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TBF, I understood where you were going with your "less of a core" idea.. meaning less internal reflection. Fi bases its values internally, Fe outwardly. I didn't see it as you saying "Fe's are just all empty shells of a human being" but your right.. you have to watch your words in these parts =P

Less internal reflection?

To Viridian's point (and my examples/questions in my first post were basically the same) - if you're thinking about different things prior to making a choice, then how is that less reflection or less internal contemplation? It's just contemplating different things.

Just so you guys know - I'm not offended or anything, I just genuinely tend not to understand these sorts of discussions and views of authenticity, which is why I ask the questions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
maybe the isfj feels he is authentic by doing so. you said having the motive to authenticity is ok but how can we judge if people feel like having it or dont

Yes, he is being authentic, because he is authentically sticking to what he values.

That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Fe tends to genuinely prioritize a certain level of social harmony, and to act to preserve that, even at the cost of sometimes repressing or going along with what people you love want, it is still authentic to what they feel is RIGHT. Furthermore, I've seen SFJs get pretty pissed and speak up about what they feel is "not right" so they're authentic in that way too.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
when the point is everyone is authentic cause we cant prove otherwise i agree. i hope you one day get rid of that fe wants social harmony scheme, thats a part for some fe types but not for all. there are enough fe types who are social outcasts because they dont comply with societal rules and who are getting sick of reading that they are trieeing to blend in

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
when the point is everyone is authentic cause we cant prove otherwise i agree. i hope you one day get rid of that fe wants social harmony scheme, thats a part for some fe types but not for all. there are enough fe types who are social outcasts because they dont comply with societal rules and who are getting sick of reading that they are trieeing to blend in

Well I'm talking specifically in the case of this ISFJ for example, and what he values IRL.

On the other hand, Fe can also be provocative. People with a bunch of Fe can actually be the best at poking at people, making them feel things, and causing massive disruption. Because they know exactly what will push other people's buttons. The ISFJ I'm speaking of definitely also does this, and so did my ESFJ ex.

I sometimes think that's what dom/aux Fe comes down to, at least in part: pressing the right and wrong buttons and having the instinctive knowledge of how to do that.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well I'm talking specifically in the case of this ISFJ for example, and what he values IRL.

On the other hand, Fe can also be provocative. People with a bunch of Fe can actually be the best at poking at people, making them feel things, and causing massive disruption. Because they know exactly what will push other people's buttons. The ISFJ I'm speaking of definitely also does this, and so did my ESFJ ex.

I sometimes think that's what dom/aux Fe comes down to, at least in part: pressing the right and wrong buttons and having the instinctive knowledge of how to do that.

i agree and i am impressed by your patience just right now :)

*kidding* didnt want to poke you, just wanted to say that to me authenticity shouldnt be used to value people. i tend to say authentic to people who speak their mind who are 'real' and sometimes have kinda odd personalities, so thats my definition of it at least.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thats a good point.. variables like these seems to add to my confusion about the concept of authenticity. What do you think?

What, me? I know zippo about human relationships, but I don't think being mindful of who you're talking to is dishonesty, if you are not bamboozling him/her.

No, the way I see it, if you genuinely care about not hurting other people, if one of your biggest priorities is the way your loved ones feel, then you're not being inauthentic at all...you're doing what feels authentic to you, even if it means sometimes keeping quiet.

I think it's inauthentic to pretend you care about someone you don't, though. The ISFJ I already mentioned says he nods and smiles at people he doesn't know well, but is more his true self about people he cares about. The thing is, I do that too and I'm not an SFJ. The primary difference is that I really don't give much of a damn about things like "being embarrassed in public" because my thinking is if those people don't matter to me, then what they think of me doesn't matter, while the ISFJ might genuinely think it's rude to subject other people to that.

So neither way is less genuine. It's just a difference in prioritizing.

1st paragraph: I get what you mean. I understand that honesty is a must in relationships - at least, that's what I hear - but there's no need to speak everything you say, especially when you ask yourself, "How do you respond to someone saying that?". Some things can really come out of left field, you know? :laugh:

2nd paragraph: I see what you mean, Ms. D, though I can see a scenario where it can be pretty valid. You meet someone, they sound snippy, sarcastic or just plain rude; you have a negative reaction to them, but then you ask yourself, "Wait - am I judging this person too quickly? Does s/he have a side I'm unaware of? What do I know of their past, their story? Does s/he feel judged by everyone she meets, as well?". It's like when you meet someone with Asperger's who sounds blunt and fussy, but, on the inside, feels out of place, fearful or even "wrong" by everyone's standards.

Things are not always what they seem. :ninja:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i agree and i am impressed by your patience just right now :)

*kidding* didnt want to poke you, just wanted to say that to me authenticity shouldnt be used to value people. i tend to say authentic to people who speak their mind who are 'real' and sometimes have kinda odd personalities, so thats my definition of it at least.

You didn't poke me, I was just clarifying.

I'm actually very susceptible to the blend of poking/button pushing/nurturing in Fe dom/aux males. It keeps me hooked.

In females I only like when they push the right buttons, which women with Fe seem more inclined to be socialized to do, but not always. That's another thing: I think socialization affects Fe tremendously, so boys who are socialized that being male means teasing or being a certain way, and not as "nice" as girls, will really adhere to that via Fe.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ok i'll go back to the nerd forums now i feel i get analyzed here and before i need to show some real feelings and things get ugly i better run :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm. I thought I already answered but I guess the network isn't doing so well. Anyhow, I thought I should answer this before reading the other replies, because this is one of those subjects that could take me on so many different paths depending on the other people's thoughts.

I wondered... how might it feel to be behaving in an inauthentic, fake manner.. when someone responds genuinely? Do people that tend to wear these masks feel threatened by it? Do they feel bad? Do they see authentic people as week? Too open or self revealing? Do they even recognize it?

They are intimidated. They see me as someone who doesn't play by their rules. I guess it is partly that they notice I might be playing by any rules (I am an introvert, so it's not like they will get too many clues), and it could be that I see through their game. I do see that they are faking, but I don't see what their true motivations are. Well, usually I don't. It happens to be, thought, that I focus to observe the dishonest, and I will eventually understand their game, so they are wise in avoiding my company. Most of the time I don't act on these hunches, so they're safe. And most of the time they are harmless. But I don't think I often get anyone off my list of people I need to watch out for. Sounds a bit paranoid. Really there are only two or three people on this list.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But you realize that, say, an INTJ could potentially come across as "masked" as whatever Fe type you're stereotyping, especially if they're sp dom in their enneagram, and could easily view very open people as "weak."

I'm telling you people this isn't Fi vs. Fe. Or even necessarily type-related, though there are certainly trends of how certain functions manifest combined, I'll at least agree with that.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
After reading the thread, I'd like to put emphasis on the word "Dishonest", because I see social conformity being something totally different from actually being dishonestly fake. Someone who conforms is not necessarily "using" anyone or trying to do anything, they might be naturally doing their thing. This reads very differently on my radar than someone who is actually analysing the way people behave and using this analysis to adjust their behavior. It can be a subtle thing, but there really is a difference there.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really should have nipped this in the butt right off... but I just want to emphasize.. this thread was not intended to turn into an Fe/Fi authenticity match. Or any typing match for that matter. I really believe authenticity is sooo fucking perception oriented, that there is no right or wrong answer on this. The question is * since authenticity is often used in NFP descriptions - what does authenticity mean to YOU.. as an NFP * Qlippoth offered up his perception.. and mentioned an Fi/Fe comparison. How can he be wrong? It's his perception. I could say that I think everyone with an Iphone, a fohawk, or a buttery tramp-stamp on their upper ass is inauthentic (do i really believe this.. mostly no) but it wouldn't be wrong.. because who else can say what is authentic in my opinion?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad the subject came up at least, the subject is deep. I'm questioning if there even is a such thing as authenticity, at least any worth talking about.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He isn't wrong in his perception of what qualifies as authentic. That's a matter of perception and opinion, yes.

He's just incorrect about Fi and Fe.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He isn't wrong in his perception of what qualifies as authentic. That's a matter of perception and opinion, yes.

He's just incorrect about Fi and Fe.

Matter of point, when I said Fi and Fe, I was asking a question. I'm terrible with MBTI stuff and wouldn't risk to actually state it.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't see inauthentic and dishonest people like you people are saying... I don't really see them. So I wonder if it's me who don't see their inauthencity, or they just aren't inauthentic by my own definitions, or the people around me are all authentic, or what? .-.
I knew only a few people who I could call inauthentic... one of them planned bad things for me behind my back, the other one was annoyingly cynical, and some others I would call confused rather than dishonest...
Some people are shy, others like to please, others are overly nice, others seem to have some internal conflicts, others are explosive and say what comes to their minds, but most seem authentic.

Fi or Fe can be authentic and honest...

I think I'm authentic... I never say i like someone when I don't. When I don't like someone at first sight, I try to know that someone better and I end up finding something good about this one and liking him or her. So I truly end up liking the person, and not being fake. xP

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I once had a friend that said: the amount of authenticity your personality has, depends on how many movies you have not seen.

I miss that friend, I think he went to the army :/

A

Anew Leaf

Does anyone else see threads like this one and then smile to oneself that this forum is called an "idyllic?"

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya haha. Some time ago I made some infjs threads which heavily polarized. basically everyone in that thread was against me in the end and I invested every strength I had left to keep up the fight. They never noticed that I only tried to ruin the forum title :D. Of course that was my sole plan from the start ! :D