• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] When do you ENFJs open up?

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm dating an ENFJ now, for 5 mths.

He opened up and confessed to me about his inner struggles, after I confronted him on some bad behavior. (i discovered him asking other girls out. it's an addiction.)

I didn't realise how big a deal this is until I read this forum saying that ENFJ tend not to open up.

It takes a lot of trust for him, an ENFJ, to open up to me, doesn't it? He wasn't defensive about his behaviour and seemed remorseful and apologised to me "sorry for hurting you."

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
Nobody's answering this post.

I guess it's hard for ENFJs to open up about how they open up? ;-P :)

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh, I think it's more likely that what you were asking for was unclear in the OP.

It takes a lot of trust for him, an ENFJ, to open up to me, doesn't it?

That was the only question you put down. And the obvious answer for the majority of people (ENFJ or not) is yes.

I have ENFJ friends and do have a word or two to say about this - unfortunately I'm bust ATM so I'll come back to this later.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
when do they stop opening up, more like.
lol You're either way on the ins with one, or you're being bombarded by the landmines we put out there before we get to the good stuff.

I'm not sure if others do the landmine tactic, but it's a way of gauging how others handle things that aren't really in our core, but are still burly.
I'll get back to this thread when it's not 2am :yes:

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
I(i discovered him asking other girls out. it's an addiction.)

Good on you for confronting him. Good on him for being remorseful.

Is he getting help for it?

Sure, him opening up to you may be a sign that he's letting you in and is quite serious about you, but I would take not asking other women out while he is with you as a surer sign of commitment. (Apologies if you're in an open relationship or are okay with it as my comment then has no relevance.)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have only told my deepest darkest secret to one person so far (my current boyfriend), took me 3 years to ever say anything about it, we have been together for 5 years now :).

I can be open about a lot of things, with the exception of really super personal things, I won't open up to just anyone. I have to really feel like I can trust them and/or feel like said person is on the same wave length as me.

With not so super personal things I tend to be too trusting and open! I don't like this. Sometimes after the fact (if I don't know the person well enough), I feel like my weaknesses have been exposed, and it could be used against me (it has happened before). I try to be a little more guarded now. Hope this helps!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are the type that he can trust, so be it. It comes when it comes, while you make him see that you are eager to hear him out but will not pressure him.

On another note, his asking other women out? That is a big red flag.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are the type that he can trust, so be it. It comes when it comes, while you make him see that you are eager to hear him out but will not pressure him.

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
Good on you for confronting him. Good on him for being remorseful.

Is he getting help for it?

yup. he's getting help.

And thanks. I would wait till he is ready to be monogamous before i commit my heart to him.

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP

Yes. It is and I 'm putting the relationship on hold. I wonder why an ENFJ is doing this. but i'm glad that he sees this behavior of him as a problem.

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
lol You're either way on the ins with one, or you're being bombarded by the landmines we put out there before we get to the good stuff.

I'm not sure if others do the landmine tactic, but it's a way of gauging how others handle things that aren't really in our core, but are still burly.
I'll get back to this thread when it's not 2am :yes:

What landmines? ????

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm. Landmines, for me, are tidbits of information that are pertinent to my daily life and have emotional effect. I'm more prone to share them, especially because they aren't in the depth of my core (which ENFJ will protect like no tomorrow), but they are also used as a sort of weeding through process with people. Basically to see who can't handle it and gets blown up, or what people will tolerate of the ENFJ-emotional-mind-self.

I wouldn't say it's intentional, but it becomes predominant when I don't feel that I can be vulnerable with someone - or unsure of if I can let them into the core. It's a bombardment and I've noticed the ones that get blown up by it end up having skewed views of what my priorities are. They then base their opinions of me on how they were landmined. They don't actually know anything of relevance, but they think they do.
There is a secondary depth to landmining, which is seeing what they do with the information they were landmined with. Usually it is on the very border of a friendship/relationship, but what they do with it can prove what value and understanding they do or don't have. Best case scenario- they can work themselves straight into the core from being on the outs, but that's rare.

What it does is protect the ENFJ core. You give a more public, safe glimpse at your emotional realm- which isn't false, but keeps from a lot of damage until you know you can really let someone in.
The downside could be if a person would respond far better to the actual core than the landmining. However, that leaves room for a lot of vulnerability and core-upset, which definitely isn't desired.

- Do I think your ENFJ is landmining you? Doesn't seem like it. However, I'm concerned about this addiction involving other people. As far as I know, ENFJs will try to damage-control themselves and we don't tend to have people who are our pillars. Perhaps he was trying to do this and failing, but your calling him out on it snapped him from trying to do it on his own.
Either way, it can definitely take a long time for us to peacock the depths of ourselves to people. I've personally only felt comfortable doing this somewhat quickly with ENFxs. They have more of a capacity to get it. INFPs are good too, but they take a lot more time to weed through. Sensing types are on another planet to me lol.

mystory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Unkindloving - I want to hire you to be my personal ENFJ translator. I read everything I can about ENFJs on this site just to figure out more about the one I care about, but just now you cleared up so much for me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:dont:

i've been really close friends with an ENFJ for more than 6 years now and i'm still learning important things about them.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Unkindloving - I want to hire you to be my personal ENFJ translator. I read everything I can about ENFJs on this site just to figure out more about the one I care about, but just now you cleared up so much for me.
:) Happy to be of service! lol If you ever need to, can hit me up. I do love attempting to translate my brotherladies.
INFJ interaction is also interesting. I like INFJs, but I feel them to be the 'parent' type. How I might assess them is through how they advise others. It's as though they have the knowledge you may seek, but you may not want to witness how the knowledge may be swayed by their inherent concern.
:dont:

i've been really close friends with an ENFJ for more than 6 years now and i'm still learning important things about them.
True that. I feel like the majority of ENFJ processes run soul deep, in a way, so it becomes so much ground to cover with other people.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the opening up would only be valuable to me and a relationship if he then modified his behavior. That would tell you whether it meant something or not, or was sort of an excuse for his being a player (which he then expects you to be understanding of because of his secret). Or maybe I"m too cynical. :-D

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
as concrete/unhealthy validation for his attractiveness in society as a male. Simple as that.

mystory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Happy to be of service! lol If you ever need to, can hit me up. I do love attempting to translate my brotherladies.
INFJ interaction is also interesting. I like INFJs, but I feel them to be the 'parent' type. How I might assess them is through how they advise others. It's as though they have the knowledge you may seek, but you may not want to witness how the knowledge may be swayed by their inherent concern.
Be careful what you volunteer for. My ENFJ experience is a year long convoluted tale of mixed signals and confusion. It's become my obsession to figure him out.
Oh, and I don't think I'm really the parent kind of INFJ. I do more questioning and empathizing than advice giving :)