• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] When do you ENFJs open up?

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hmm. Landmines, for me, are tidbits of information that are pertinent to my daily life and have emotional effect. I'm more prone to share them, especially because they aren't in the depth of my core (which ENFJ will protect like no tomorrow), but they are also used as a sort of weeding through process with people. Basically to see who can't handle it and gets blown up, or what people will tolerate of the ENFJ-emotional-mind-self.

I wouldn't say it's intentional, but it becomes predominant when I don't feel that I can be vulnerable with someone - or unsure of if I can let them into the core. It's a bombardment and I've noticed the ones that get blown up by it end up having skewed views of what my priorities are. They then base their opinions of me on how they were landmined. They don't actually know anything of relevance, but they think they do.
There is a secondary depth to landmining, which is seeing what they do with the information they were landmined with. Usually it is on the very border of a friendship/relationship, but what they do with it can prove what value and understanding they do or don't have. Best case scenario- they can work themselves straight into the core from being on the outs, but that's rare.

What it does is protect the ENFJ core. You give a more public, safe glimpse at your emotional realm- which isn't false, but keeps from a lot of damage until you know you can really let someone in.
The downside could be if a person would respond far better to the actual core than the landmining. However, that leaves room for a lot of vulnerability and core-upset, which definitely isn't desired.

- Do I think your ENFJ is landmining you? Doesn't seem like it. However, I'm concerned about this addiction involving other people. As far as I know, ENFJs will try to damage-control themselves and we don't tend to have people who are our pillars. Perhaps he was trying to do this and failing, but your calling him out on it snapped him from trying to do it on his own.
Either way, it can definitely take a long time for us to peacock the depths of ourselves to people. I've personally only felt comfortable doing this somewhat quickly with ENFxs. They have more of a capacity to get it. INFPs are good too, but they take a lot more time to weed through. Sensing types are on another planet to me lol.

Thank you.

could you share an example of how you use landmine. so that we can have better idea?

I'm ISFP, and I may not "get" my boyfriend like other NFs do. But My 3 closest friends are all NFs (INFP, ENFP, ENFJ), perhaps that helps me give him an emotionally safe outlet for him to talk it out.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you.

could you share an example of how you use landmine. so that we can have better idea?

I'm ISFP, and I may not "get" my boyfriend like other NFs do. But My 3 closest friends are all NFs (INFP, ENFP, ENFJ), perhaps that helps me give him an emotionally safe outlet for him to talk it out.
Hm. Offhand I can think of two things, and they also remind me about emotional-landmining, which I'll explain.
I did the landmining thing a lot with my ex because I wanted to share with him, but didn't feel safe enough with him to let him into that core. It wasn't intentional, but it turned into a lot of ranting in detail about situations that I'd felt stuck in and frustrated with, without really getting to the real emotional meat of the subject. In that situation it was mainly about unhealthy friendships that I was feeling severely trapped in, as well as reading the outcome of any action thoroughly with Ni to the point of a "no win" and no solution. There's a lot of depth to the reasoning behind social elements, especially as an ENFJ. I could explain it, but most people won't see the depth. It's just a different world in ENFJ emotions. So he got an onslaught of insignificant details and a lot of frustration-sharing since I couldn't be vulnerable toward him.
When things got rough, I watched what the ex did with the information he was landmined with. He took anything he was told and twisted it back at me. It breeds a sort of validation by way of "Good thing you weren't really let in"
It's so precautionary.

As per emotional landmining- anger and frustration come first for me, but the real hurt and depth of feeling toward something comes even later than last. Am I really angry at the root of it? No, but the wrong people will believe so. If I am angry and frustrated, it is commonly because I am extremely hurt by something. Regarding people, I am usually angry and frustrated because I am deeply hurt that anyone would take all of the time and effort to back my into one of those tight spots where I need to decide so absolutely between preserving myself or trying not to harm them. This may seem like 'pshaw', but that is hell to me as an ENFJ.
So emotional landmining is that front of another emotion that isn't the root emotion as a self-defense. It, again, protects the reality of the core. It isn't as if it's completely unrelated to it, but it takes more peering and prying into to really see what is going on.

On another note, I was good friends with an ISTP for a while. I landmined him for a while, which he was okay with. One night I called him while drinking at a friend's, and drunkenly divulged that core meat of my emotions in relation to people. They were all of the thoughts that were regarding how protective and self-sacrificing I feel deep down for the people I love. Everything, and things I do not commonly share. ISTP was immediately sold on who I am deep down, seeing the reality behind my reactions.
It's just different. The landmining self isn't all there is, but there can be so much more. We are icebergs. We want you to be worthy of the rest of us, but it takes work.

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
I didn't know it was hard for ENFJs to open up. My mom's an ENFJ and she usually tells me more than I want to know about herself and others.

Neutralpov

You are in the inner circle of trust. And I doubt you really do know everything. My most precious thoughts, times, and creations are my own and sealed in sepia as though I don't even remember that I am not telling them

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Asking other people out when you are in a commited relationship is not an addiction. It's a sign to run - this guy is not commited to you.

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Most ENFJ's are pretty open from the beginning. However, if they've been burned a lot.....they can feel emotionally vulnerable.... he may be very cautious....

But why are you putting up with him asking other women out? Are you exclusive?

ENFJ's do get 'intrigued' with different people easily...... but they have to learn to control that in a relationship.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Personally, it took a long time for my ENFJ friend to open up to me.

I dont think its intentional or that your boyfriend likes blocking you out. In my experience ENFJs just have a LOT going on inside and it seems when they gush it all out it the situation turns bad. So they wait till you show that you're trustworthy, loyal, and that you can handle all that emotion.

Neutralpov

Personally, it took a long time for my ENFJ friend to open up to me.

I dont think its intentional or that your boyfriend likes blocking you out. In my experience ENFJs just have a LOT going on inside and it seems when they gush it all out it the situation turns bad. So they wait till you show that you're trustworthy, loyal, and that you can handle all that emotion.

Partly true I guess. How does the situation turn bad?

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
People find them too intense or "too much" when they stop their filter. The person backs off a little, which then hurts the ENFJ, etc...

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I stole it from my best friend when he wasn't looking. ;)

Neutralpov

Ohhh not the same. I have known and ISFP that the feelings seemed so deep they took forever to dispel. More depth and whole body integrated. Mine are more choleric and dispelled (to be fair I am an enneagram 1 so) and I can bounce back and be cheerful when I have a new activity to move my mind to or social time. I think ENFJ delivery is more choleric EJ and ISFP is internal suffering delivery and comes from within vibe. ISFPs take it out on their body in my experience. I cannot hold stuff in and get it out and do not do anything to my body except maybe workout or run off the anxiety. My feelings are more strong one time "bursting" I can't hold it in and feel relief when expressed. Other ENFJs should weigh in on this though.

Priori

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
This is an interesting thread. I've always thought of my ENFJ's 'landminds' more as bread crumbs, and I've never been sure if she is aware that she throws out.

I've seen her toss a few out for other people, but I'm the only one who knows how to follow the trail.

DoggyGirl

MBTI Type
ISFP
This is an interesting thread. I've always thought of my ENFJ's 'landminds' more as bread crumbs, and I've never been sure if she is aware that she throws out.

I've seen her toss a few out for other people, but I'm the only one who knows how to follow the trail.

what did u do to follow her trail?

rav3n

My oldest friend is an ENFJ. We've been friends for 24 years. She still surprises me sometimes with things she's never directly told me. It's easier to use triangulation to figure her out, instead of asking or believing she's opened completely up.

Priori

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I listen to everything she says, and I mean really listen, watch her body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, even the word choices she makes. I listen not only when she talks to me, but when she talks to other people and pretty soon I developed a sense of when she wanted somebody to dig a little deeper into a seeming offhand comment, or just empathize with her over something etc.

The real trick though, is to focus on her intensely for a while and then pretend to ignore her for a while least I give her too much power for too long. The mixed singals keep her attention and make sure she doesn't take me for granted.

Also, I have to remind myself that I'm just as hot and intellegent as she is :p

Priori

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's easier to use triangulation to figure her out, instead of asking or believing she's opened completely up.

There will always be more bread crumbs to follow. Which I love exploring, but knowing I'll never be shown everything makes it bittersweet.