• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and Nonverbal Communication

sculpting

ENFPs, how much of our communication is nonverbal?

Specifically in tone, vocal intonations, body posture and emotionality?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you know what...i've noticed a lot of enfps have a very animated way of speaking and unusual phrasing or inflection...i think we're pretty physically expressive yeah...why do ya ask?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I rely SO much on non-verbal communication it's crazy. Body stance, tone, facial expressions, physical positioning in a group, eye contact, etc. I also think that sometimes you can understand more about a person by what is not said, than what is. I'm not really sure how much of my communication is non-verbal, since I talk so dam much. I don't consciously try to signal people non-verbally often. But I'm sure that if someone is watching closely, and very perceptive as well, they will probably be able to pick up alot about me.

My Sweet Stalin

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I really don't like talking on the telephone because I can't see the other person's facial expressions and body language reactions while I'm talking. I hate not having a very good idea of how they're reacting to what I'm saying until it's their turn to talk. I'd much rather talk in person, and if that's not possible then I'd rather email than call because at least I can compose my thoughts without that nagging feeling of needing to "read" the other person as I do so. Don't get me wrong, I can talk on the phone just fine, but I don't like it very much.

What really drives me crazy is when I'm on the phone with someone who doesn't make any kind of agreement noises or use other minimal responses like "Hmm" to let me know they're at least listening, but instead remains completely silent until there's a really long pause to indicate I'm done talking. It's so awkward and uncomfortable.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
almost all of it. words are just another modicum... along with tone of voice, look in eyes, corners of mouth, eyebrow movement, blinking, hand movement, general stance, full body posture, positioning towards/away from others, literal nudges, overall emotional message... even within words there are double meanings and general tonality and specific images and inside jokes and wordplay and whatnot... pure verbal meaning is just a tiny, tiny component...

i've told close family/friends to ignore my exact words before :laugh: i dunno how anyone can pay so much attention to specific words, there are so many other layers of communication!

which is why we "read" people so well, after all... :ninja:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm always communicating. the way i look at things,
if i cock my head to the side, or if i look it at it straight
on, if my eyes are moving around or if it's fixated on
something. how rapid or slow my words come out,
the pauses in between. lots of gesturing.

if it's with someone i like, i love interactive physical
communication. crazy touchy. and i like being touched.
different ways to walk my fingers up his neck, arms or
legs, different meanings, different requests.

i love love love good silence. because it's not static.
there's always an exchange, and with silence, the
timing makes it so exciting, the moments of stealing
glances and sly smiles and giggles. i like that i don't
have to say anything, just fingertip march on jock's
hips and back he goes under my covers. gives me
goofy toothy grins thinking about it....

i forgot what i was saying.

ohd1122

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Depends on who I'm speaking with. At work, I alter my methods of communication depending on the person.

Example 1: Female INTJ coworker - utterly clueless at dealing with nonverbal communication and interprets wild gesturing and raising voice as anger instead of passion. I need to make an extra effort to be calm and explain all of my thoughts and feelings through words so she doesn't freak out.

Example 2: Male ENTP boss - VERY good at picking up nonverbal cues. Much more natural communicating with him.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's interesting, you'd think this would be an Se thing..

OTOH, it's an indispensable requirement to a breed known as the 'Inspirers' considering the impact non-verbal communication has on people.