• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Meaning of Phrase "I really like you a lot."

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What do you think it might me when an infp says, "I really like you a lot" after he turns his head to the side. Could it more... or should I just take the statement literally?

Depends on if it's followed by a pregnant pause and the word "BUT"

:p

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I was at college, my crush said, "I love you" to me face-to-face at a bar. And I walked away (I really hate surprises, especially unexpected one because I don't know how to handle it).

Now I really regret of not initiated back. :doh:

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What keeps you from taking what the INFP said literally? Just the head-turning thing?

I would assume he meant it. Could be my preconceived notions kicking in, but I can't really see an INFP saying such things without meaning them.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My feeling is that he's testing where you are at about your relationship and the smiles are more directed at how much more nervous about it he is than what you look like - less sadistic and more self depreciating.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you sometimes catch him staring at you adoringly when you talk then he likes you :blush:

I can imagine INFP guys getting very nervous around people they like. You are probably also guarded about showing emotions, so he can't tell if you're just being nice or if you like him. Before I got together with my INFP I thought my signals were that obvious, but he told me later that he had no clue.

StillWaters

MBTI Type
INFP
As an INFP, I've done what your guy has done (though I'm a girl). I didn't realize statements like that could be seen as ambiguous. It means he likes you a lot. The head turning thing is probably because he's feeling vulnerable.

As for whether or not it's a romantic liking, you have to look at the context of your relationship. If you're dating, then he means it in a romantic way. If you're just friends, he could mean it in a friendship sense OR a romantic way.

I recently stated to a friend "I care about you a lot" because I was about to bring up a sensitive topic with him and I didn't want him to feel attacked, and I was bringing it up out of caring. It doesn't sound like that sort of conversation is what you're talking about, though. It sounds like he was responding to your statement of caring for him.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
When he says I really like you allot, he really means he really likes you allot.

Meek

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5
Lololol, that sounds like cute typical infp behavior for someone who likes you.
The turning of the head to me, sounds like they're very shy and embarrassed after saying it to you.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What do you think it might me when an infp says, "I really like you a lot" after he turns his head to the side. Could it more... or should I just take the statement literally?

What does "I really like you a lot" mean to you?" infps or any other nf. Thanks for your thoughts.

it means he or they are certain to the depth and intensity that they like you

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know. I doubt I can answer this without projecting my own feelings in the body of your dude, and that would not be valid or sane. In my case, I'm probably pretty sheepish about saying things to someone. I like you, but I want to run away. I like you, but I fear you can't go there...so I risk destroying what is already there. Etc. I probably could write a book about what I feel...but I'm not him.

In my case, I'd write you about it, probably. In fact if you are not my "journal person" to whom I write, you are probably not the one.

Also, can the INFJ - INFP relationship thing work? I mean I imagine it can, but I just don't have any experience myself, so I'm curious.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My thoughts are that he's pretty into you. A shy expression of "I like you a lot" to express a deeply held desire is the type of thing I might have done, if given the opportunity. The fact that I'd try to contain such deep emotions in words that don't really say anything at all is also the type of foolishness I'd think of doing, too. Heh.

As far as his smugness, that might have just been satisfaction in having his suspicions (and possibly wishes) of your feelings confirmed. You may have confused satisfaction in seeing you squirm simply with satisfaction that you liked him romantically.

I don't like how he looked away when he told you that he liked you a lot. It either means he's lying (although based on the greater context, that seems less likely) or that he was unable to be present and connect with you as he was expressing his emotions. By not looking you in the eye, he was able to remain in his head.

Honestly, what to do next depends on what you need and want. If you are happy trying to solve the "what does he feel" mystery, then by all means continue on. However, if you are done with the game playing and are ready for something real, I think you've earned the right to call him out. As I see it you've showed him yours, and now it's his turn to show you his.

If you want to tailor suit your approach to compensate for INFP Fi shyness, then by all means, ask him if he shares your feelings, and then give him a bit of time to reply.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
My feeling is that he's testing where you are at about your relationship and the smiles are more directed at how much more nervous about it he is than what you look like - less sadistic and more self depreciating.

Yah, I agree with this. I only know one INFP well, and he is least likely out of all the people I know to be sadistic.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Also, can the INFJ - INFP relationship thing work? I mean I imagine it can, but I just don't have any experience myself, so I'm curious.

It can... At least I'm hoping so. I've been with my INFP for almost 3 years now and we're trying to survive a seemingly-unending long-distance at the moment. You need lots of adjusting and acceptance on both sides, but we've worked through quite a lot of issues already. If we were in a more favorable real-life situation right now the relationship would be absolute bliss :blush:

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
My thoughts are that he's pretty into you. A shy expression of "I like you a lot" to express a deeply held desire is the type of thing I might have done, if given the opportunity. The fact that I'd try to contain such deep emotions in words that don't really say anything at all is also the type of foolishness I'd think of doing, too. Heh.

This is what I would do too. I think I've made an art of it :newwink: In one instance I told someone I had deep feelings for that we had always been friends and then expected he would read between the lines when I elaborated on the things we had shared.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For me.. this is a 'safe phrase'.. Saying "I love you." is something heavy, and implies a lot.. I like you a lot is more loose, and fluid.

There is no mistaking an "I love you."
"I like you a lot" .. can be followed with ".. but not like that." or "and I'd like to see where this is going".. It's just a safer phrase. :shrug: Easier for people to go back too.. and say "Yeah, I said I LIKE you, but that didn't mean x!"

It's easy, and safe.. but not efficient at getting across exact, confirmed things.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you watch enough Japanese language shows, you know this means pretty damned close to "I love you".

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What a strange thread. What else could it mean besides what it says?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What a strange thread. What else could it mean besides what it says?

Sure, it could fractionally mean bits of some other, additional weirder things, but you wouldn't say it unless what it was in itself was the emotional majority of what you wanted to say. :smile:

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
If any resemblance INFP-INFP helps:

I would never use that phrase with a guy that I'm not attracted to. I would be too scared of confusing and leading him on (emotional gore).

On the other hand with the guy I'm attracted to... yes (hoping that he will see what the phrase means).

And when I do the smug in a situation like that inside I am like:

OMG, OMG, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, oxygen, oxygen, aaaaaa, breathe, where is the damned water (a pleasant emotional overload). :wubbie:

OR: really, do you see it like that, I'm freaking disappointed but i'm going to keep my face straight (handling a blow).

SMUG usually means a revelation with huge emotional impact. Whether the impact is positive or negative can be recognized by emotions accompanying the smug: wild happiness, little sweet awkwardness, sadness, anger...

And did he add "But..." after the phrase?