• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Could an INFJ be confused with an ISTP?

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
well. the internet does harbor the same people who created pedobear and 4 chan. ;)

or for an ISTP, perhaps something like:

1 - Ti - introverted thinking - impersonal, neutral logic and system integrity - leads and is the primary problem-solver.
2 - Se - extraverted sensing - acting upon and interacting with the tangible world supports Ti and redirects how and where Ti is applied.
3 - Ni - internal intuition, which can be turned on and off, is engaged when logic + action aren't enough to address problems. can make you feel superior.
4 - Fe - extraverted feeling - can propel you into warm interactions and dealing with people.

perhaps that can be a little helpful for you also :)

See, I've had those "warm" interactions with people. I've had long chats with old ladies about their good days and been a good listener. I don't feel like I'm this absolutely cold person that all these ISTP threads want me to believe.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
A counterphobic INFJ would appear ISTP-ish.

On to Jennifer's Q...
Funny thread -- because I have just that issue with my best friend here at work.

I can't place her type, and the closest I get is either ISTP or INFJ. It's the Ni+Ti thing, and I'm not quite sure which dominates.

She grew up in ghetto and keeps her social circle small and prefers to avoid Fe style interactions even if she remains aware of them and how a situation will unfold. Her biggest battles at work are with her ESFJ supervisor (who is gushingly Fe and rather lacking on a T perspective). She's into sports, even blogs about them, on a level that usually ISTP tomboys are into compared to other types.

... she's got more of an organizational sense of an INFJ -- likes to keep her environment controlled and very "clean" and is even picky about it...
None of this rules out ISTP

And she tends to struggle with our highly technical work the way I've found that F's can struggle rather than T's -- she has to work the issue with diligence and willpower, unless she finally understand things, versus the way T's usually settle right into requirements analysis as a natural way to think.
Maybe. ST developers seem to need a little more handholding when approaching new territory. Once they understand the model then they can crank out application code.

Have you considered the possibility that she is ENFJ? The behaviors that you mentioned are consistent with that type. Even the apparent introversion is not out of the question - E's calm down as they get older. Personal experience also influences this attribute. ENFJs have tertiary Se (the fun, playful Puella) - her interest in sports certainty fits this description.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe. ST developers seem to need a little more handholding when approaching new territory. Once they understand the model then they can crank out application code.

She's not a developer, she's a requirements analyst.

She definitely couldn't write code, her mind doesn't seem to work that way. She also seems to approach requirements much more like an ISFJ than a T (and I'm using ISFJ only because I have lots of experience with them). For me, the conceptual thinking framework is like breathing, I think in algebra and theory. She seems very coherent with abstractions when she's talking about life truths and ways to approach and deal with people; but for her, even the requirements stuff is something she basically has to drop into, immerse herself in all the detail, and get all those details together in context before feeling comfortable and being able to speak about them. Perseverance and familiarity.

I guess that gives me my answer.

Have you considered the possibility that she is ENFJ?

I considered everything and quickly excluded everything but ISTP and INFJ. She's not ENFJ. (You might have well have asked me if she were a little black dog with a red hat -- seriously. She's just not. Her problem with the ESFJ was pretty much a textbook EFJ vs I conflict.)

Even in the very basics, she's very introverted and founded in her inner world in terms of her life approach. Extroverts and introverts feel very different to me, from the very first moment I meet them.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
esidebill,

Another thing that may help you to figure it out is to compare the way you use the functions to other people you know who also have the same functions. For instance, if someone you know is a Ti or Ni-dom, think about whether your own Ti or Ni seems on par with theirs or seems intimidated by theirs. My brother is an ISTP, and his Ni seems underdeveloped and underused compared to mine. On the other hand, even though I'm typically the one who seems precise about definitions around a lot of people I know (of the people I'm around the most, most of them are Te/Fi), something that happens a lot when I'm talking to my brother is that I'll find a word or definition that I consider "good enough," and he'll correct me with a better one. My Ti does feel intimidated by his Ti. But this could work for other functions too, like comparing your Se to others'.

Also, just because you feel comfortable talking to others doesn't necessarily mean you're a Feeler. My brother also works at a grocery store, and every time I see him in there, he's chatting it up with a customer or co-worker, smiling and being personable. But talk to him in his "natural state" when he's around people he's familiar and comfortable with, and he seems very detached.

That being said, the fact that you imply that you like the idea of being an INFJ makes me inclined to think that you're a Feeler. In my opinion, the fundamental difference between Feelers and Thinkers to really ponder over is how at your core do you primarily approach the world--through values or objectivity.

I wonder if you've considered or ruled out that you're an ISFJ. One thing you could try is studying Si and seeing if that seems to fit you better than Se.

Ultimately, though, like you said, you're the best judge of who you really are, so I could be wrong. But I hope this helps :)

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
esidebill,

Another thing that may help you to figure it out is to compare the way you use the functions to other people you know who also have the same functions. For instance, if someone you know is a Ti or Ni-dom, think about whether your own Ti or Ni seems on par with theirs or seems intimidated by theirs. My brother is an ISTP, and his Ni seems underdeveloped and underused compared to mine. On the other hand, even though I'm typically the one who seems precise about definitions around a lot of people I know (of the people I'm around the most, most of them are Te/Fi), something that happens a lot when I'm talking to my brother is that I'll find a word or definition that I consider "good enough," and he'll correct me with a better one. My Ti does feel intimidated by his Ti. But this could work for other functions too, like comparing your Se to others'.

Also, just because you feel comfortable talking to others doesn't necessarily mean you're a Feeler. My brother also works at a grocery store, and every time I see him in there, he's chatting it up with a customer or co-worker, smiling and being personable. But talk to him in his "natural state" when he's around people he's familiar and comfortable with, and he seems very detached.

That being said, the fact that you imply that you like the idea of being an INFJ makes me inclined to think that you're a Feeler. In my opinion, the fundamental difference between Feelers and Thinkers to really ponder over is how at your core do you primarily approach the world--through values or objectivity.

I wonder if you've considered or ruled out that you're an ISFJ. One thing you could try is studying Si and seeing if that seems to fit you better than Se.

Ultimately, though, like you said, you're the best judge of who you really are, so I could be wrong. But I hope this helps :)

Oh no, I appreciate the help. In my natural state I'm still pretty good with joking around and being sociable :p With my Mom or sister I'm still not a detached rebel. I mean, if you want to ask if I approach the world through values or objectivity, I have more of a feeling about a girl I may like based on something easily like a tattoo. My dad used to make fun of me for "taking things to heart" a lot aha.