• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] Help please

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I have an ENFJ that works for me. I am having a few problems that I need help with...

One is...if I give the person something to do, they want me to be involved every step of the way or they want to do it together. I can never just give it to them, tell them what to do and get it back finished. I can give the most explicit instructions, watch them write it down and repeat it back to me, say yes that is exactly what I want once they are finished but 10 minutes later they still do it wrong and I have to go over everything again. Or, I get it back half done and have to finish it. How do I get them to understand that if I wanted to do it myself, I would not have given it to them? How do I get them to understand that they need to pay more attention so they do not make errors? (they just blow it off as, oh well, a mistake even after it was the same mistake for the 3rd time...they have total denial of ever discussing it, which amazes me). This is VERY frustrating to me because it wastes a huge amount of time everyday and I already have a lot on my plate!

This might be the wrong forum to ask, but I like the person and I want to make things better if possible, thanks.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
How do I get them to understand that if I wanted to do it myself, I would not have given it to them?

Tell them that if you had wanted to do it yourself, you would not have given it to them?

Really... You're his boss. Just tell him straightforward that the purpose of his position is so that you don't have to complete that work. If you continue to have to hold his hand you're going to need to find someone else to fill the position.

A

A window to the soul

How do you know coworker is ENFJ? What the heck are you asking coworker to do?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I did a bit of that today, but in frustration. I have found that while it is taken well at the time, it comes back as insecurity afterwards and more mistakes are made...and more denial. They are VERY sensitive to calling out on their mistakes. They blew up once and almost had a nervous breakdown when I finally reached boiling point. They apologized, but I don't want to go there again.

Please don't think that I am sitting here saying I do not make mistakes, I do! I just don't know how to get this person to see theirs and correct it...

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
How do you know coworker is ENFJ? What the heck are you asking coworker to do?

I typed her. Then, she took the test and it was the same. She read it and other descriptions and said it was her.

She is my employee, not a coworker.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, one was that I asked them to research something. I told them what the purpose of the research was, what the goal of doing it was, and what I was looking for overall. 5 minutes after asking that it be done, I was called in to discuss something found that was interesting. That something had NOTHING to do with the goal given, nothing to do with the purpose, etc. Same thing a few minutes later - it was just unreal. So, I had to do it myself and they wanted to watch over my shoulder to see what I was doing. Waste of time. Next day, I gave them something else to research. Goal and purpose given. I got links to a website that were category correct, but absolutely no research was done to know whether they fit the goal or purpose! I will have to do that. How does that happen?

A

A window to the soul

You said you had them write the instructions and they watched over your shoulder, but that's obviously not enough. Did you also write up a set of step by step instructions with a couple of clear examples; including, screenshots? Then, did you sit with them and watch them work until they get it right?

Dedicate a day, two days, whatever it takes to a workshop where they're working and you're there standby to guide them through it. If that fails, you may need to start looking for replacements.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The best way I can get a job done is by receiving the right training from the beginning, It must be clear and step by step...pre written instructions work wonders!!! I watch the first time around and if I have clean and clear notes its all good! If my notes are F'ed up and all over the place....and I'm just thrown in to something totally new, I tend to ask tons of questions until I totally understand it and feel confident in doing it correctly on my own (unless I have concise written instructions ;)!). Try to go easy on them and try not be to harsh and critical, the ENFJ assumes that you are there to help develop them in their new roll...other wise the ENFJ might feel hurt and misunderstood. Thats how I am anyway, hope this helps! MBTI definitely helps in situations like these!

Its funny that you brought this up because my old boss was an INTP as well. At work we totally clashed, but outside of work I liked her just fine <3.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tell them that if you had wanted to do it yourself, you would not have given it to them?

Really... You're his boss. Just tell him straightforward that the purpose of his position is so that you don't have to complete that work. If you continue to have to hold his hand you're going to need to find someone else to fill the position.

If you want to see a stressed out ENFJ's "Fe" come in to play, where it could possibly involve either crying or you getting chewed out (depending on the situation and how long its been going on) do the above ;) lol.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
how about sitting with her and going through a few of these processes with her? then you can find out where the problem is occurring, and address it together.

no offense at all, but if you're anything like my INTP dad and brother, it's my experience that sometimes they have a very clear idea of what they're after, but get quickly frustrated when others are not exactly on the same page. for us, it often has to do with me not being as familiar with the context as they are, and therefore not being able to proceed down the same logical pathway.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Wow what kind of job where you just research stuff?

Is that an actual job?

Awesome :)

Explain it to me, I'll do it right.

Actually, I'm sort of busy running a fish hatchery, but what you are asking doesn't sound too hard. Maybe just PM me, and if I have time, I'll find out.

Of course, I do work with an ESFJ, and getting her to understand things is sometimes just impossible. I'd never ask her to research something :) This is not meant to be a derogatory comment towards ESFJs in general, just my co-worker probably would not be a great researcher since I've tried to explain things and failed.

Incidentally, why is an INTP (research-like personality) hiring an ENFJ to do research? It's not necessarily a bad choice, but she doesn't sound like she's very focused on what you want to know. Sounds like she wants approval and appreciation for partially doing what you want.

I think the best solution is to find someone better suited. What other benefits does this employee have? Is there something she's good at doing? Does the Pro out-weigh the Con?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
If you want to see a stressed out ENFJ's "Fe" come in to play, where it could possibly involve either crying or you getting chewed out (depending on the situation and how long its been going on) do the above ;) lol.

Yes, been there once. Amenable until an explosion. Strange because they knew they were wrong, but it was like the feelings they had about being wrong about things were stored up and came out in attack instead of just addressing the issue.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
You said you had them write the instructions and they watched over your shoulder, but that's obviously not enough. Did you also write up a set of step by step instructions with a couple of clear examples; including, screenshots? Then, did you sit with them and watch them work until they get it right?

Dedicate a day, two days, whatever it takes to a workshop where they're working and you're there standby to guide them through it. If that fails, you may need to start looking for replacements.

Ok, thanks!

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
The best way I can get a job done is by receiving the right training from the beginning, It must be clear and step by step...pre written instructions work wonders!!! I watch the first time around and if I have clean and clear notes its all good! If my notes are F'ed up and all over the place....and I'm just thrown in to something totally new, I tend to ask tons of questions until I totally understand it and feel confident in doing it correctly on my own (unless I have concise written instructions ;)!). Try to go easy on them and try not be to harsh and critical, the ENFJ assumes that you are there to help develop them in their new roll...other wise the ENFJ might feel hurt and misunderstood. Thats how I am anyway, hope this helps! MBTI definitely helps in situations like these!

Its funny that you brought this up because my old boss was an INTP as well. At work we totally clashed, but outside of work I liked her just fine <3.

One of the reasons I had them write it down themselves is because you usually remember what you write. Regarding "assumes that you are there to help develop them in their new roll"...that is a major disconnect for me. I expect to be able to give something to someone, confirm that they understand everything, and it be done. Do you tell people you understand something when you don't? A fear issue? I guess I am confused on how to know if they really do understand what I am asking them to do if they say they do but they really don't?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
how about sitting with her and going through a few of these processes with her? then you can find out where the problem is occurring, and address it together.

no offense at all, but if you're anything like my INTP dad and brother, it's my experience that sometimes they have a very clear idea of what they're after, but get quickly frustrated when others are not exactly on the same page. for us, it often has to do with me not being as familiar with the context as they are, and therefore not being able to proceed down the same logical pathway.

Well, this is why I started telling them what exactly was wanted, why it was wanted, how it was wanted, and how it would be used, etc. Is that sufficient context? What else can I provide? Even doing that, I still get things back that are irrelevant or half done. And, while they spent hours working on it, I could have come up with the same information in 10 minutes. I do not know how to fix this.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Why they don't understand and how to fix that is what I was trying to find the skinny on :)

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well let us know how it goes.