• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fake Your Passion

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Some title isn't it? Something alarming about it, or discomforting if you may.

"Fake your passion." I understand where it comes from though. I don't have the time to compose a lengthy and draggy post, so I wouldn't go into detailed examples.

Believe it or not, there are situations and circumstances where passion, is being "faked." Specifically when passion is related to career or interest. It's a survival thing which one will have to fake a passion in order to pursue or move on (or even, survive) in life.

So can passion be faked, really?

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You can certainly fake the bodily signs of passion. Actors, in particular method actors, can also fake passion itself. And since they can, I venture to claim that everyone can.

Except for me. I really wish I can.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I can fake to be nice or sincere to people in order to avoid hurting their feelings. Though I realized one thing I can't fake is my passion.

Perhaps that's why it has been taking me so long to switch my next career--as I don't know where my next passion lies besides teaching.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think the difference is that you cannot maintain it well. I don't suppose many could. After a while, you'd expose yourself.. being intense takes energy, and when it is real, you cannot think on it much. faking that sort of intensity is just digging yourself a hole. Its why you can 'tell' when couples start being more accustomed to each other, and less intense towards each other. Even when they're being genuine, it is impossible to maintain it forever.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Believe it or not, there are situations and circumstances where passion, is being "faked." Specifically when passion is related to career or interest. It's a survival thing which one will have to fake a passion in order to pursue or move on (or even, survive) in life.

So can passion be faked, really?

I agree that there are some situations that necessitate 'faking' passion. The first example that comes to mind is someone who is unemployed and is desperate for a job, any job, just to be able to pay the bills and put food on the table. That person might fake passion for the job they are interviewing for if it increases their likelihood of getting hired.

I think you can fake passion but its hard to sustain it over a longer period of time. Unless you're a good actor, your body language won't match your words and people will suspect you're not being sincere.

I think the difference is that you cannot maintain it well. I don't suppose many could. After a while, you'd expose yourself.. being intense takes energy, and when it is real, you cannot think on it much. faking that sort of intensity is just digging yourself a hole. Its why you can 'tell' when couples start being more accustomed to each other, and less intense towards each other. Even when they're being genuine, it is impossible to maintain it forever.

You raise very good points here.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't see why you can't learn to enjoy something passionately if you were ambivalent about it before. For example, if your boss/client enjoys golf and you need to fake it to get your job done...
It would be much harder if you already passionately dislike it.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I agree that there are some situations that necessitate 'faking' passion. The first example that comes to mind is someone who is unemployed and is desperate for a job, any job, just to be able to pay the bills and put food on the table. That person might fake passion for the job they are interviewing for if it increases their likelihood of getting hired.

I agree with you right there. I always felt having a job interview (as well as conducting it) can take too much energy away from me for 'faking' things for the sake of good impression. Perhaps that's why I've always have troubled in interviews as I perfectly know the rules, but am reluctant to fake it.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Fake it till you make it, say it like you mean it. :)

Passionately dispassioned.

Flight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
7w8
i can't fake sincerity or passion. i don't even bother. it's gotten me into some trouble.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^LOL!
Faking it means you begin to hate it in the long run.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

+1

Passion means different things to different people. I tend to think of it as something deep that comes from the soul.

There might be some types that could fake it for some period of time but generally this strikes me as showing a lack of integrity. Why do such a thing? You're not being true to yourself and I don't see how it does anything for others.

wolfy

awsm
LOL!

but ouch. :(

That's really the thing with faking passion. If your emotions are swept up by the fake emotion of others and you are snapped by reality it really burns. And if others are swept in your own forced emotion you are punished by your own mind.

Though, I reckon real emotions can be amped with reckless abandon.

rav3n

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNhOH4Y0bI"]:rofl1: [/YOUTUBE]