• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Why does everyone hate on Fi?

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I embrace my Fi, and I find IxFPs to be the two most attractive types (as types - obviously it varies by individual).

Nicki

Retired
Fe gets the hate more than Fi.

The only non hated on functions around here are Ni, Ne & Ti. All others are seen as problematic, especially by others who don't make immediate use of them.
I think Ti's not discussed as much because it's not as understood.

I agree with this.

Standuble

Fi users are often self-righteous, irrational, self-obsessed, catty, transparently manipulative, pretentious, egocentric...the list goes on and on and on. The better question is: What is there to LIKE about Fi?

The only one on that list which can be equated with Fi is the self-obsessed one and even then self-obsession is not limited to Fi.

On an unrelated note my exploration of the Internet seems to bring up more than an acceptable misunderstanding of Fi (in particular that Fi is to judge your decisions by emotion.) A lot of these seem to stem from those who have typed themselves as thinking types and what's worse there does not seem to be much effort in thinking about these definitions critically to confirm their accuracy. It tempts me to look down as some thinkers as idiots (with the function make-up of the T types on a whole possessing plenty of potential for stupidity to develop.) It makes me wonder how much negativity Fi receives (and any discrimination the IFPs that utilise it receive) is unjust. Aleda asserts that Ti is not understood as much, if true then why is it understood so much less than the supposed understanding of Fi? They are both Ji functions and the proposed discrepancy seems a bit suspect to me.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aleda asserts that Ti is not understood as much, if true then why is it understood so much less than the supposed understanding of Fi? They are both Ji functions and the proposed discrepancy seems a bit suspect to me.

I think this is cultural. In most of the western world Ti is at the bottom of acceptability. This usually means less people dabble in their Ti and ultimately experience it consciously. Thus less people understand Ti.

Pretty much every message out there encourages you to follow/listen to your heart, etc.
With such strong, pro-Fi messages, a lot of Te types who would otherwise not spend that much time in their Fi, do it.
To some extend this inferior Fi gives Fi in general a bad reputation.

To see a Ti accepting culture, check out the UK. Esp. contemporary British comedy, etc.
Usually the most visible use of Ti is in comedy.

Standuble

I think this is cultural. In most of the western world Ti is at the bottom of acceptability. This usually means less people dabble in their Ti and ultimately experience it consciously. Thus less people understand Ti.

Pretty much every message out there encourages you to follow/listen to your heart, etc.
With such strong, pro-Fi messages, a lot of Te types who would otherwise not spend that much time in their Fi, do it.
To some extend this inferior Fi gives Fi in general a bad reputation.

To see a Ti accepting culture, check out the UK. Esp. contemporary British comedy, etc.
Usually the most visible use of Ti is in comedy.

I'm British and on the whole the country seems more Te (though there is a fair amount of art) though most of the comedy for me has its share of Ne but a lot of it seems suited for SJ types with not so much Ti in my opinion.

I was considering more the internal mechanics of Fi which doesn't seem that well considered, the perception of Fi seems to be more the output with no understanding of what goes on inside. But you have a point about the recurring "follow your heart" message in media. Though I do not think many people think Fi when they see ETJ's lose their cool.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sometimes we don't realize our own perspective until forced to compare it with something else.

I'd say, for example, that your sig is very Ti. Mybe u r used to some Ti behavior being OK.

IllusoryReverie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come on people. Fi is the most genuine, creative, gentle, artistic and exotic of all the functions. why the haterz gotta hate? FPs for the win! :solidarity:

I don't feel that everyone hates on Fi. Some of the people I've come across have actually said they're particularly attracted to it. I've come across plenty of people who have said they get more easily annoyed with people who use Fe than Fi. Maybe it's just easier to take notice of the rejections rather than the words of admiration directed toward your own functions.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel that everyone hates on Fi. Some of the people I've come across have actually said they're particularly attracted to it. I've come across plenty of people who have said they get more easily annoyed with people who use Fe than Fi. Maybe it's just easier to take notice of the rejections rather than the words of admiration directed toward your own functions.
LOL I don't even remember posting this. looking at the date, I was 16 at the time (no wonder people on this site used to hate me. I hope the rest of the threads I started weren't this idiotic :laugh: )

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because, like Si, it's intensely personal and strange, and very stubborn about how intensely personal and strange it is.

It's like it takes one to know one, or take one to like one...or something.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because, like Si, it's intensely personal and strange, and very stubborn about how intensely personal and strange it is.
It's like it takes one to know one, or take one to like one...or something.

speaking as someone who has both, I can understand how people would think this. they're both kind of like "this is how it is. it doesn't need an explanation, it just is" a more cerebral function like Ti or Ni could easily look at that and be like "wtf are you talking about? of course it needs an explanation!"

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Fi sucks because it finds reasons to proactively hate other people. It also absorbs irrational ideas and doesn't let go because they are internalized and meld with the person's "character." So its hell to deal with for thinkers.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
People here and sometimes on other typology forums, openly hate Fe more.

Fi probably appears more victimised in the 'real world' by people who band together in groups. But it's hard to tell, l I find, whether grouping together to exclude someone is necessarily a product of Fe. After all if a group is built of Fi types, who is to say they would not exclude Fe because they feel it might overly structure their value system?

True Fe considers values in a general group way and it receives these from the environment that surrounds it, so I can see how someone might come to this conclusion, but there are always going to be accompanying functions with that Fe; strong Fe types are not devoid of introspection or the ability to question where their values come from, although perhaps they are less likely to.

So on both sides there is some truth, but since most people aren't really interested in MBTI, I don't think it can really be said that people hate on Fi, although I understand you have shifted position over time [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION].

What's interesting to me is how a culture also influences the way in which these interactions are set. For example in my immediate area, while it is true that there are occasional groups excluding someone, often unwittingly because of a clash between Fi and Fe, at the same time most of the people are fairly well grounded and well developed, at least...to an extent.

When I look at different sub-cultures within a country though, the view changes. For example clique's appear which can be extremely exclusive and essentially rely entirely on pre-judgement of someone by comparison with what the clique deems is 'socially acceptable'. Which translates into 'you just don't look right'.

This is usually entirely a feeling subject as well because it relies upon vibes or impressions, without looking too far for much more data on the individual in question.

But it's all about the best and the worst. All types have that divide in them, well it's mainly because humanity does. The worst Fe types, from my personal perspective, are those sickly sweet ones with a veneer of glass and a skill at backstabbing that would make an assassin proud.

However the best are truely genuine and caring and are able to bring together the best elements of their community. They...care, they really do, in much the same way as Fi types really care about whatever it is that arrests their interest and concern.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi sucks because it finds reasons to proactively hate other people. It also absorbs irrational ideas and doesn't let go because they are internalized and meld with the person's "character." So its hell to deal with for thinkers.

QFT

S

Society

so, am i the only one noticing the difference in tone these conversations have?

Ti vs. Te: "i'm more competent", "no me!", "i am better at rational understandings", "no i am!"

Fi vs. Fe: "i'm a bigger martyr", "no me!", "i am a lot more hated & misunderstood", "no i am!"

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Another problem with Fi:

thinking everyone else feels the same way. Has difficulty logically understanding other functions outside its own awareness. Sometimes generates self righteous attitudes of "look how unselfish I am compared to you." Oftentimes associated with false pride. Its users are the most likely to make threads that say "Don't take MBTI so seriously, its just a tool" and "don't be so judgemental [like I am toward you]." Most likely to deflect others for its problems so it doesn't have to deal with them.

On the other hand from an Fi point of view,

I suppose Fe can be hell to deal with. Confrontational, openly emotional, causes drama, shatters interpersonal boundaries between groups of people.

Fi users are good at reading other people's internal states though, which is nice to have if you're dating another Fi user. One of the things I like about Fi is its ability to have a "quiet understanding" between itself and another person, where no words need to be spoken. At least I THINK that's an Fi thing. If its not, then fuck it. The function is worthless, lmao!