• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] (patiently) ask an INFP!!1

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe lifting someone's self esteem (good) in order to exert more influence over the person (bad).
Ethics aside, this could end up being a win-win situation.

There are many types of influence. Usually I consider influence the good type when it doesn't limit the other persons freedom and isn't aimed at bad outcomes. From a certain perspective it could be argued that all influence by definition limits another persons freedom, but does it? For example, if you are not aware of an option, and I tell you that this option exists, then I have influenced you a lot, but I have given you another option, thus giving you more freedom than you had before.

A

Anew Leaf

Are you an INFP badass? Have you ever seen an INFP badass? Have you ever heard a rumor of an INFP badass existing? Answer any one.

I am not sure that INFP could ever be a "badass" considering what little weapons we have at our disposal. We are like the glass cannon in MMOs where our ammunition takes 10 years to create one piece.

A

Anew Leaf

Hello there. :hi:

It's hard to picture a day-to-day situation for a bad reason.
Maybe lifting someone's self esteem (good) in order to exert more influence over the person (bad).Ethics aside, this could end up being a win-win situation.

I guess the question was indeed a bit too vague. But i liked the answers, nonetheless, thanks guys and gals.
I enjoy watching Fi in action. It is like a foreign language :biggrin:
I know the matter isn't black-and-white and it's not easy picking an option.
Let's everybody just do good things for good reasons and everything will be fine. :hug:

haha, we aren't INTJs. ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dear infps,

do you tend to tell your nights dream to your partner in the morning ?

No. I've only related re-occurring dreams I felt had significance (my subconscious telling me something important about myself), but I saw my bf's eyes glaze over, so never again.

My childhood best friend was an ENFP, and when she'd spend the night, we'd trade dream stories in the morning, but we both embellished for fun. My ENFP hairdresser loves talking about her dreams also, and I indulge her, as I know most don't find such talk fascinating.

A misunderstanding. I do not mean projection bias. I talk about the way an INFP displays himself once he/she is feeling emotionally discontent. How do they act?

I think SouthernKross explained it well.

I tend to withdraw, majorly. I get really, really quiet, and my voice & face drain of expression. I actually fear crying in front of people, so I'm good at containing any emotion threatening to seep out. I tend to avoid people/situations that upset me, instead of confronting them (which I don't think is bad; confrontation can just be unnecessarily disruptive).

Unfortunately, I grew up with immediate family members who are the kind to follow you into a room to keep yelling at you when you leave, or who continue baiting you after you say "stop" or "drop it" (and I literally will tell people to stop; it's not like they don't get fair warning); and so they see me as very temperamental, because they'd prod me until my temper came out (and I admit, I have a bad temper when it does surface; I go from stone-faced to vicious snapping in about two seconds flat).

People outside of my immediate family sees me as subtly moody or irritated when I'm upset/mad, because I contain it until I am alone, and it usually dissipates a bit before I have to deal with them again. It's my natural way of dealing with negative emotion (processing it internally), and if family would just let me be when given warning, then they wouldn't have to see any ugly reactions either.

I usually keep my temper (with everyone except immediate family), unless they press my buttons enough. Admittedly, as I get older, I am less inclined to take this sort of crap lying down.

With age, I also express my hurt/angry feelings to other people better (staying mostly calm, but not shutting down), except for with immediate family. I suspect it's because family knows how to push your buttons like no one else.

Dear INFPs: Have you ever done something very, very petty? If so, what do you feel about it - shame, regret, anger?

I've had many petty moments over my lifetime, as most people have. I feel all of the above when I give into pettiness. On a rare occasion, I feel some moral justification that squashes the embarrassment for being petty.

I can relate to the movie character Amelie who pulls little tricks on people to "punish" them for being "bad". I'd "punish" people in small (sometimes anonymous) ways, out of some righteous anger, and I admit it was very petty. While I may have had good reasons to be offended, I should have handled it differently (ie. communicating with the person).

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Unfortunately, I grew up with immediate family members who are the kind to follow you into a room to keep yelling at you when you leave, or who continue baiting you after you say "stop" or "drop it" (and I literally will tell people to stop; it's not like they don't get fair warning); and so they see me as very temperamental, because they'd prod me until my temper came out (and I admit, I have a bad temper when it does surface; I go from stone-faced to vicious snapping in about two seconds flat).
I laughed when I read this, just imagining what would have happened if my family did this to me. :laugh: I feel sorry for you. I hate it when people prod me if I'm desperately trying to contain anger or strong annoyance. I just snap like crazy person and fly into a rage. But as you say, its just deserts.

With age, I also express my hurt/angry feelings to other people better (staying mostly calm, but not shutting down), except for with immediate family. I suspect it's because family knows how to push your buttons like no one else.
Yes, my ESTJ sister does in particular. She knew exactly how to push my buttons at age 3 or 4 :D. And I suppose it also that, when you're around family the self-control systems aren't at full strength - strong feelings slip out more easily.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No. I've only related re-occurring dreams I felt had significance (my subconscious telling me something important about myself), but I saw my bf's eyes glaze over, so never again.

My childhood best friend was an ENFP, and when she'd spend the night, we'd trade dream stories in the morning, but we both embellished for fun. My ENFP hairdresser loves talking about her dreams also, and I indulge her, as I know most don't find such talk fascinating.

Pretty calculated for a dream

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are your (INFPs) hobbies?

Anna intuitive

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
< Originally Posted by entropie
Dear infps,

do you tend to tell your nights dream to your partner in the morning ?>

My husband is an ENFP. He always tells me his dreams. I tell him mine, but not all of them. I screen them first.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Reading, writing (often bad poetry I share with no one), drawing (cartoons & "serious" stuff), yoga.... Most of my interests sounds like "subjects" for school though, haha. I like almost anything to do with art, design, music, literature, fashion, psychology, philosophy, religion/spirituality....pretty typical "NF stuff". I have an interest in science when it has a human touch.

I also like everyday stuff like cooking & decorating. I like to create beauty & play with ideas. Most of the stuff I like to "do" is in the mind though. The idea of things enchant me more than their reality, so I do less than I think. Are thinking & daydreaming hobbies? :tongue: I like to play devil's advocate with myself a lot, & I like to imagine how something could develop in the future. I pace around the house when I think...it aggravated my family when I lived with them.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Hmm... I consider almost all that I do a hobby... :yes: Ok, umm, yeah I read some bit, and I listen to lectures, hah, these are also like school subjects, well, they ARE school subjects. Yep, philosophy, psychology, sociology, religion, stuff like that, mostly humanism. I paint, I do short movies, animation, I build stuff out of discarded wood, I grow stuff, a bit. Now I have an avocado growing. I hope it's doing good, I'm not at home at the moment. I walk a lot too. Mostly at night. There's less people. I collect herbs from the woods. I think I will move to mushrooms by the fall.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
< Originally Posted by entropie
Dear infps,

do you tend to tell your nights dream to your partner in the morning ?>

My husband is an ENFP. He always tells me his dreams. I tell him mine, but not all of them. I screen them first.

do you keep the mailman dreams to yourself ? pretty calculated, i wouldnt trust you

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question: Which anime character would you date if you had the chance? (If you don't watch animes, you can pick a fictional character)
15788621_4.jpg

N

NPcomplete

My INFP friend today said "I wish you could be here to make me overcome my fear just like you did at <blablabla scary place for her>"..

How big is it when an INFP makes such a statement? (Because I could only respond rather lamely with a "Don't worry..<scary place> was worse! This is nothing! I'm sure you will be fine!")

And this is my offer of cute: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=28539

(Can't save anything on this computer..I'm supposed to be engaged in srs bsns right now. :devil:)

A

Anew Leaf

My INFP friend today said "I wish you could be here to make me overcome my fear just like you did at <blablabla scary place for her>"..

How big is it when an INFP makes such a statement? (Because I could only respond rather lamely with a "Don't worry..<scary place> was worse! This is nothing! I'm sure you will be fine!")

And this is my offer of cute: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=28539

(Can't save anything on this computer..I'm supposed to be engaged in srs bsns right now. :devil:)

*eyes shine at adorable t-shirt*

for me, that is kind of a big deal. I prefer handling things on my own, and life constantly reminds me that I do need other people at times. so if I open up to someone and say I am worried about X, or upset about Y... then it means I trust you, I am comfortable showing my more vulnerable side, and I don't feel the need to always have a front up.

and don't worry about feeling lame. ;) we are probably far more concerned about looking lame ourselves... I always am concerned I am going to say too much, or be misunderstood, and they are going to think I am a walking basketcase of problems and emotions just waiting to burst forth like blackbirds hiding in a scarecrow in a field of corn in the midwest on a balmy summer night with twinkling stars and maybe some rain.

N

NPcomplete

*eyes shine at adorable t-shirt*

for me, that is kind of a big deal. I prefer handling things on my own, and life constantly reminds me that I do need other people at times. so if I open up to someone and say I am worried about X, or upset about Y... then it means I trust you, I am comfortable showing my more vulnerable side, and I don't feel the need to always have a front up.

and don't worry about feeling lame. ;) we are probably far more concerned about looking lame ourselves... I always am concerned I am going to say too much, or be misunderstood, and they are going to think I am a walking basketcase of problems and emotions just waiting to burst forth like blackbirds hiding in a scarecrow in a field of corn in the midwest on a balmy summer night with twinkling stars and maybe some rain.

Gotcha. Yeah we've been discussing quite personal stuff for a while now so I feel that we're pretty close but it's not easy to tell with you bunny peeps! :p

The bolded part is so beautifully written. For some reason, Neil Gaiman came to mind. <3

A

Anew Leaf

Gotcha. Yeah we've been discussing quite personal stuff for a while now so I feel that we're pretty close but it's not easy to tell with you bunny peeps! :p

The bolded part is so beautifully written. For some reason, Neil Gaiman came to mind. <3

Haha, yeah... that can be the way we like it to be viewed for awhile... ;) We is like secret ninjas of emotions! (At least we want people to think that way at times. :))

And thanks for the compliment. :) I think it was just a very INP ramble, lol. NG strikes me as an INTP writer... but he could be INFP. Hmm... I guess I thought he was INTP because his writing comes off as kind of unemotional to me... but I guess an INFP could be that way too. *head explodes with thinking*

N

NPcomplete

Haha, yeah... that can be the way we like it to be viewed for awhile... ;) We is like secret ninjas of emotions! (At least we want people to think that way at times. :))

And thanks for the compliment. :) I think it was just a very INP ramble, lol. NG strikes me as an INTP writer... but he could be INFP. Hmm... I guess I thought he was INTP because his writing comes off as kind of unemotional to me... but I guess an INFP could be that way too. *head explodes with thinking*

I read somewhere that he's an INFP. In any case, I felt that Coraline and I were very similar when I read the story. Have you read The Graveyard Book? It was awesome.