• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Yoga, Dance and the NFP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed that there are a significant amount of (E)NFPs that seem to have some experience with yoga and dancing. I was hoping they would elaborate on it here:

Why do you practise yoga or dance?
What do you get out of it?
How often do you practise?
What keeps you motivated to practise?
How do you practically work it into your schedule?
How long do you usually practise every time?
Where do you practise?

Your dance/yoga life story, people. I wants it, noa! :solidarity:

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Virtually all the yoga teachers I've had have been INFJ's btw.

I think the whole "lets get in touch with ourselves", lets develop ourselves and "achieve our potentials" are very NF ideas. I think many of the students I've seen are ENFP's, and they seem to usually dig the whole "culture/attitude" thing of it.

I came at yoga from, and remain with a 1) martial arts angle and a 2) "spiritual" angle.

It also seems like many of the teachers, or at least the famous ones that I've met, are really big into Buddhism as well, either Theravada mindfulness stuff or usually Tibetan Buddhism.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yoga: yes! (I'm still a n00b with yoga) I do it because it calms me down, I need the stretching and the "deep muscle excercise". I do yoga excercise couple of times per week. I should do more but.... haven't had time...?? (an excuse I guess)

Dancing: another yes! I love dancing but don't go to classes or anything. I would like to try the belly dancing and all sorts of dancing thingies.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i had to change my type to post in this forum because i like your thread so much :)

i think i always liked the "image" of both, and the idea of both. they are beautiful, and the ability to express yourself through your body is beautiful. there is also something so compelling about the idea of being able to fully control your whole body in a conscious manner. that is why i got started.

the reason why i continue - with yoga, it helps me empty my mind, and enter my body. i can leave my stress behind and discover a new part of who i am. i enjoy the physical sensations and i like pushing myself. it's sort of vain, but i like watching myself in the mirror and molding myself into a beautiful form. and the peace of sivasana is without equal.

yoga is to me like this

4090446058_2b62b26cc3.jpg

bikram_big1.jpg

with dance, it's a similar thing. i like being fluid, moving, in touch with my body. i also sort of feel a cultural imperative to be at least a decent dancer in terms of waltz, foxtrot, swing - should i need it in a social setting. i am so blatantly Se-last and very bad at learning in a standard "watch this now do it" format, but if i can read about the steps or see diagrams and understand the "feeling" behind the dance, then i can really get into it. once i've muscle memory'd the steps, i'm good to go, and i can really get into the expression and fluidity. it's really a challenge.

worlds_sun_hip_hop_finals_1_245.jpg

090228-113401-1305-waltz_throwaway_oversway_ivdc_2009_blackpool-600.jpg

i'm also a little competitive, so most kinds of physical activity fuel that drive. it helps me turn it more into a competition with myself, instead of one with others.

ah. better control of my body. more strength, flexibility. more elegance. it gives me a sense of mastery and a source of pride. it burns calories, of course, and tones my body. i like the idea of being someone who practices yoga and who dances. they fit with my self-concept. and it's occasionally just pure fun, too.

both probably about an hour three times a week. i've been doing yoga on and off since my early teens; dancing i used to do when i was little, then as a young teen, then i quit for a while and now am back.

mostly how happy and satisfied they make me feel when i do them. and it's sort of annoying to regress, so i try to keep up with them consistently. nothing like knowing you could do a split 3 months ago and not even being able to get within 5 inches of the ground, lol.

Where do you practise?

my gym offers afternoon classes, which work well. then i practice on my own time, especially dance, since i am newer to it. i usually practice for an hour, at least. might as well get really into it.

:solidarity:

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
It's the freeness and newness of everything...

I've done both... but never kept up with it...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^thast one of the reasons I started this thread. I just cannot make it a continuous routine.

I'm with Skylights on most points, I loved your post btw, but I cannot seem to..find the motivation to get started on it. I've done interval bellydancing and yoga for years now and although I *love* the feel of it, I also feel guilty for doing something that takes up my time and bores me mentally, whileI could be doing so many other things. Otoh, I *love* how it makes you feel. I find that dancing goes easier when I'm in company, when I can interact through my body with others, really (I did ballroom dancing).

I also have trouble timing it. You cannot have eaten within 2 hours, and I'm not a morning person. I also get really absorbed in what I'm doing during the day, making me forget about it. It's maddening.

So..in essence, I'm pumping you all for info on how to get this feeling *right* for me...

Plz continue. I'll be watching. :ninja:

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Forum Challenge?

3 hours a week dancing or yoga?

Pics or it didn't happen?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yoga! :heart:

yoga bodies! :solidarity:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forum Challenge?

:rofl1:

You know, as I was reading this, I felt 'this could be interesting, and it looks like those creativity threads going on, so its very trendy', then I noticed the last line and went...'No. No no. NO!'

Then: 'OMG, the male IxTx population would have a field day with this!'

Last thought was

'I'm so happy I put this thread in the private section, coz the second this gets read by all the frigging males out there (especially the IxTx's :ninja:), they will storm the thread and badger us into it, derail the thread in the process and snicker their asses off :doh:'

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*mulls*

Mmm..but I do like the idea of like rapporting on what you're working on with your yoga and dancing. Or what you ended up doing in your dancing or yoga and how it made yo ufeel (can we get anymore NFP? :alttongue:), or like in the other threads, pick an inspiration or technique to focus on for like two weeks. It would be like a way to encourage each other to remember dancing and the joys/benefits it can hold as well as working on an art, really :thinking:

Those that want to, can post pics of course. I'm sure the boys will love them for it as well :wink:

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
It could be a really odd picture... like of a timer... or a sweaty sock... or a wrinkled tie...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, that would be awesome :laugh:

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

i do both...dancing is related to my post in the fetishists thread last night: it's me being more ME than just about anything else i can think of. liberating and invigorating and more fun than you can shake a stick at. (besides perhaps zipping around town on a vespa. ;))

but yoga is my church. the rest of my post is yoga-oriented. i'll send you a pic of me dancing that would answer your questions on that (and deepen your conclusion that i am a true nutter, haha.)

physical exuberance combined with total relaxation. and inner peace. hell, i'll say it: joy.

yoga is a journey towards integrating your body and mind and soul. each are developing at different paces over the course of each session, and overall. it's beautiful to see it unfold.

4-5 times/week.

it's one of the most intelligent forms of exercise, imo. but it's also an internal dialogue with moments of true freedom. it's utterly peaceful. an opportunity to identify your weaknesses, meet them and overcome them. each pose tells a story about you and your relationship with your body and psyche. those that are easy for you are opportunities to go deeper into the pose. those that seem impossible are gradually within your reach, and you find gratification and then surrender yourself back to the challenge when you hit walls or you're ready for a more advanced modification of the same pose.

i learn more about myself in yoga than almost any other activity i have undertaken. i was a cyclist for my uni, and that came close. but this is something altogether different and the beauty is that it (and you) evolves over time.

the other reason i do yoga? have you seen "yoga bods"??? hehe yoga will find every awesome part of your body and draw it out. and give you stamina that you never thought you had. and i don't need to tell you where those things find their highest application. ;)

(and besides, 'fore long someone's gonna drop by and elucidate you on this in disgusting detail anyway. *yawn*)

perforce. i need yoga the way other people need coffee. but not an addiction, just something i rely on as being vital to my well-being. i never go more than 2 days without going into the studio or doing it at home if nec.

(p.s. i sometimes ask friends to do 10-day yoga challenges with me. some of my friends do the bar method or pilates to lose weight or prepare for...bikini season hehe. my studio has a promotion that lets new members do 10 days for 10USD. that's a ridiculously good deal, so i've conned a few friends into doing these with me. their bfs thank them for the bods they end up with--it sculpts your muscles in the most beautiful way. so i'd get a friend and do a "yoga challenge" together and see what happens...it's nice to have a buddy when you're getting started.)

90 minutes

Where do you practise?

at a studio in my nabe. heated to 110F!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm with Skylights on most points, I loved your post btw, but I cannot seem to..find the motivation to get started on it. I've done interval bellydancing and yoga for years now and although I *love* the feel of it, I also feel guilty for doing something that takes up my time and bores me mentally, whileI could be doing so many other things. Otoh, I *love* how it makes you feel. I find that dancing goes easier when I'm in company, when I can interact through my body with others, really (I did ballroom dancing).

:hifive:

that's funny, i'm a little too self-conscious to be more free dancing with others. i feel better when it's just me (unless i have alcohol in which case i will dance with EVERYONE). but my body is not really quite up to what i want it to be, so i feel like that's where about 99% of my insecurity comes from.

as for not feeling like it's "productive"... i just consider it exercise and write it off that way :laugh:

I also have trouble timing it. You cannot have eaten within 2 hours, and I'm not a morning person. I also get really absorbed in what I'm doing during the day, making me forget about it. It's maddening.

:yes: i understand. hardest part of the battle is getting there.

i have certain gym classes that are just blocked into my schedule, that i Do Not Miss. they are more important to me than my school classes - because i can study anytime, but i don't have that dance floor with mirror space, or yoga instructor, any time i want.

but i'm not really the most consistent, either, when it comes to classes that aren't blocked in, or just practicing on my own time. i feel like it helps if i have a "project" to work on - a certain dance or set of moves or yoga sequence or pose.

agentfurrina said:
(and besides, 'fore long someone's going to drop by and elucidate you on this in disgusting detail anyway. *shudder*)

oh mmhmm... you've been summoned...

Forum Challenge?

i'm in!!

expect crappy phonecam pictures until i find my real camera. it's somewhere in moving boxes.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those that want to, can post pics of course. I'm sure the boys will love them for it as well :wink:

of dancing? yoga? both?

haha, mama like.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this is private you say? howso? well, i'll take this shit down in a few hours most likely and replace it with a yoga strap...but here ya go.

34zkdbm.jpg

taken shortly after a car accident last yr (you can see where the airbag deployed under my clavicle. wicked.)
fozw9d.jpg

this is posted elsewhere so fuck it.
ae1f93df08c6d8c460589c494971ebe35cf0792a_wmeg_00001.jpg

louboutins baby! (oh and: is twitter public?? :alttongue:)
attachment.php

put 'em together and you got a frankengirl. :)

a'ight. enough o that. there's an operating expenses spreadsheet calling my name. but, yeah. YOGA!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohh honey, its private in that the non-NFs cannot barge in here, but they can see still everything! :biggrin: