• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Daydreaming INFJ problem

Mysterious15

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hello, its been a long time since I posted hasn't it? :)
Well the title says it all......I have a need to daydream at least once a day and I consciously try to do it when no one is around. My family has this way of reprimanding me on every 'strange' thing I do. And while I really am grateful and all, it keeps me on my guard. I used to daydream at school, on the bus, in my room, but well I finally found a place where I could do it without being interrupted rudely. (well to them it looks like I am merely thinking but still!) I did it in the bathroom, it used to be a 'break' for me. I have this habit of wanting to move a lot when I daydream, and as my family just WILL NOT believe me even if I tell them I am in a great pinch.
See there were complaints about me staying in the bathroom for hours (all lies it was only 40-something minutes) and well my dad snapped (an ISTJ)
I know the bathroom is a dirty place, its bad to stay there for a long time but I can't think of any other place that would ensure absolute privacy.......even if I lock my room it will be considered as a felony, so I am really stuck now.
I have many reasons to believe that my elder brother is an ISTP and my mother an ESFJ. Both of them have their own 'theories' at what I do in there, but for the life of me I won't tell them. Ever.
First off they won't believe me, second they will never forget it, third my dad will ask me exactly what I daydream about, which ranges from many things from future careers, to cartoons, to books. I don't know if he will ban me from everything, but I do know he will not believe me, even more so than my mother and brother. (there are more people in the family but currently these three are the 'heads')
There are many things they find annoying and weird about me, things which I just can't explain because they will think I am lying (very skeptical people they are)
Well I was hoping someone could offer me another place I could zone off in without any fear but I guess that is an unreasonable thing to ask. So how about just saying if you have had to face this problem too sometime, and what you did to overcome it. :D I am sure I could think up of something then. :)

Rockwell

MBTI Type
INFJ
Daydreaming was always a problem for me during school days. When I daydream, my mind is resting. I believe it is your body's way of shutting off all stimuli around you. Daydreaming can also be associated with mild ADD. The majority of family were STs, thus making everything I did seem pathetic. hrmph.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Eh, I don't think it's something you exactly overcome. I've always likened it to sleeping with your eyes open as it does recharge me a little bit. I tend to daydream at work on and off, unfortunately, without any good, uninterrupted daydreaming time, the effect is very similar to waking up constantly during the night.

If I were you, after multiple interruptions and attempts to set aside "me time" for yourself, I'd be tempted to snap at them and tell them to shove off and go bother someone else. Maybe that's all they're waiting for you to do.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I was hoping someone could offer me another place I could zone off in without any fear but I guess that is an unreasonable thing to ask. So how about just saying if you have had to face this problem too sometime, and what you did to overcome it. :D I am sure I could think up of something then. :)

Oh, family dynamics. I definitely vote that you abandon the bathroom.

Were I you, I would either go for a walk, hang out at the library (books are a great daydreaming aid), or go to an understanding friend's house.

Daydreaming is not a problem, please don't think it is! I'm a daydreamer too and I think it's very important for processing my thoughts and ideas. It just sounds like you need to find the right place and way to go about it. :)

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's an incredibly disheartening notion to think other types don't dream ...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, family dynamics. I definitely vote that you abandon the bathroom.

Were I you, I would either go for a walk, hang out at the library (books are a great daydreaming aid), or go to an understanding friend's house.

Daydreaming is not a problem, please don't think it is! I'm a daydreamer too and I think it's very important for processing my thoughts and ideas. It just sounds like you need to find the right place and way to go about it. :)

I would secondhand agree on that, I love the library (when something isn't going on) and bookstores.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do daydream quite a bit and spend a lot of time in the world of my mind. Thinking about the future, whatever obsessions I have, just a variety of things. I often end up missing out on details of the here and now but if I didn't have the power to daydream, I couldn't cope with life. I can focus well enough during important moments but I suppose my brain is always switching on and off, going to daydream land. I couldn't count the number of times a day I spend daydreaming. Taking notes in class and during important times at least helps. I hate it when people ask me what I'm thinking about when off in my own little world because the beauty of it is having the power to keep it to myself.