• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs. Not easily impressed?

headhurts

MBTI Type
INxJ
I know definitely one, possibly two ENFPs. They seem to be impressed (at times) by some abstraction of a person or moment; but not by A PARTICULAR person themselves, just a part of them in a specific moment.

Anyone else get that feeling?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
How can you be consistently impressed with anyone? It's great to have grounded opinions of others.

headhurts

MBTI Type
INxJ
Easy... it's called to admire or respect another, to have faith and trust in their decisions and ideas.

The ENFPs i know don't seem to trust anyone else's opinions consistently... They seem to doubt much others ideas.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, very interesting.

I am rarely, if ever, starstruck by someone.

I find aspects to people impressive, but am rarely "Impressed" by a person, it's just not in my nature to glorify people, minus Shakespeare, and a couple of others. ;)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I can think of one person I have always been impressed by, and I am his daughter.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Easy... it's called to admire or respect another, to have faith and trust in their decisions and ideas.

The ENFPs i know don't seem to trust anyone else's opinions consistently... They seem to doubt much others ideas.
This is an entirely different matter than that of being impressed, no?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I doubt those people I do not trust, however I do not doubt those I do, period.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know definitely one, possibly two ENFPs. They seem to be impressed (at times) by some abstraction of a person or moment; but not by A PARTICULAR person themselves, just a part of them in a specific moment.

i am sort of having trouble figure out what you're asking/saying, but we are idealists, and that part of that person in that particular moment was probably perfect, whereas no person as a whole is perfect.

headhurts

MBTI Type
INxJ
This doubt i'm talking about is a doubt of ideas, not of intentions.

For example, they'll trust me enough to talk about their worries, and they'll count on me to there, but they won't follow anyones advice consistently.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Why would you follow anyone's advice consistently? One must have a mind of one's own.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP

I don't know if I agree with you on this one...I mean...you're basing this off of one, maybe two people?

There are people whose opinions I trust almost to a fault...that I believe as right when it is really just their opinion. Like a favorite professor, parent, etc. Now, these people have, of course, done something to make me feel like their opinion deserves it...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if I agree with you on this one...I mean...you're basing this off of one, maybe two people?

There are people whose opinions I trust almost to a fault...that I believe as right when it is really just their opinion. Like a favorite professor, parent, etc. Now, these people have, of course, done something to make me feel like their opinion deserves it...
Agreed.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Why would you follow anyone's advice consistently? One must have a mind of one's own.

yeah. for sure.

I don't know, it sounds like they maybe do or did something that you don't like personally and you're trying to spread it across all ENFPs

[edit] i don't mean that in a mean way...just, i don't know, something doesn't seem quite right

redacted

my ENFP best friend is definitely impressed by some people (me included :))

This doubt i'm talking about is a doubt of ideas, not of intentions.

For example, they'll trust me enough to talk about their worries, and they'll count on me to there, but they won't follow anyones advice consistently.

heh, my best friend ALWAYS calls me for advice. and she always listens.

i'm not saying this isn't a trend for your ENFPs, but it doesn't apply to every one, that's for sure.

actually, i'm fairly close to 3 ENFPs, and they all call me for my advice. and i think they're all pretty impressed by me. at least, they tell me so.

sorry to be so self serving :)

headhurts

MBTI Type
INxJ
I don't know how to respond to that, nameless, except to say that when you ask for advice, it's the most likely time you're looking for input. That's the time when people are most likely to have the greatest impact on your course of action (the one who's asking).

When a person i admire gives me advice, I take it with great weight and respect. My ENFP friends, seem to say "hmm, okay" and move along.

headhurts

MBTI Type
INxJ
Haha, yeah, maybe this ENFPs circle of friends are just uninspiring. It's probably a one off thing.

The problem is, I'm dating him... :/

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know how to respond to that, nameless, except to say that when you ask for advice, it's the most likely time you're looking for input. That's the time when people are most likely to have the greatest impact on your course of action (the one who's asking).

When a person i admire gives me advice, I take it with great weight and respect. My ENFP friends, seem to say "hmm, okay" and move along.
Hmm...It seems like your ego is getting involved here.

I pretty much know what I am going to do, or the way something is, or how I feel about it, so, honestly, I rarely ask for advice.

I think the fact that they are even asking you for your advice is very telling, (in a positive way).

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP

Okay, I the "hmm, okay" part.

There are two times I do this.
One is when I ask my dad for advice. He gives me advice, and then gives me advice on top of that that I didn't really ask for. At some point in the advice-giving session, I decided that I got what I had needed, and I had already "checked out" of the conversation mentally before he was done because he sort of surpassed my question. So the hmmm, okay was for the extra stuff, even though I listened to the rest and got a lot out of it.

My advice, if this is happening, is to give a little bit of advice, and if an ENFP is interested, he or she will 100% ask you another question or urge you to go on, pretty much guaranteed.

The other time I do hmm, okay and move on is because I chew over conversations and advice long after they are over or given. I'll get advice from a professor and then get up and leave only to e-mail them back 3 hours later with what I think about it after I have been chewing the conversation over in my head for all that time. So the advice you give may not have been taken lightly at all, but may look like it has been...

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
My ENFP friends, seem to say "hmm, okay" and move along.

i am way too stubborn to take advice and i am certainly not an ENFP, i dont think it's something that is intrinsic to the type

you should also consider the possibility that your advice sucks

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Haha, yeah, maybe this ENFPs circle of friends are just uninspiring. It's probably a one off thing.

The problem is, I'm dating him... :/

I think that's weird that his group of friends are uninspiring...I'd think that he would be bored as an ENFP with uninspiring friends