• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFP and ENFP?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Well that was tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to it, as ENFPs seem to want to keep checking with the outer world for input. That isn't to say that only ENFPs ask other people what their type is, but ENFPs can really take it to extremes, like changing their type every few months and starting multiple threads about themselves.

Funny... I want to figure out my type precisely because I don't want to change it every month or so. :laugh:

A

Anew Leaf

So would we say that ENFP's are more likely to change their values as external stimuli challenges it? INFP's deny external stimuli and hold tight to their inner values, regardless of how out-of-touch they may be with reality? And is this the reason INFP's appear to have "other-worldly" vibe?

I'd like to get some INFP input on this...

INFP's... how often do you change your values?

I only change my mind on deep, inner core values when I have been presented with a reasonable* alternative. *not necessarily logical.

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

On non-core issues I am more flexible. Usually the reason will fall into one of these categories:

I don't care about the topic
I want to avoid unnecessary conflict
It sounds like fun at the time
I want to try on a new "hat" of an idea
This current idea doesn't interfere with my set in stone core issues
There is something about bunnies, unicorns, or glitter in this new idea
This new idea has been presented in an intriguing fashion
The person is boring me so I am agreeing so we can move onto something actually interesting

My core issues comprise of these categories:
Who I am as a person with all of my faults and gifts
What I value in others
What I value in life

I call this my solar (soular ahahah) system :)

A

Anew Leaf

INFP's do seem to have a special wisdom to them, even at an early age, I've noticed. I admire the INFP for not relying on other people so much.. and I feel like a jerk for mentioning this.. so it is in no way meant to be harmful... but I did read a study on relationships that shows partners of INTP/INFP have the greatest dissatisfaction. This study could be total bullshit.. but it's come up a few times. The only thing I can assume is that its the introversion factor, or a difficulty for them to verbalize emotionally.

Again, INFP input requested =)

I have never heard of such a study. I can think of a myriad of reasons why the results could come out in any which way. None the least of which is simply what were the INPs paired up with.

I don't see how it's the introversion factor considering that 50% of the types are introverts themselves. And at least for an INFP, we can verbalized just fine... Usually too well. Most of my INFP friends have shown their love for someone via poems, songs, paintings, etc.

I don't think you are a jerk for bringing up the idea btw :). I just question how a study like that is even accurate.

Especially needing to consider would be how healthy both partners are with themselves. An unhealthy person of any type is unsatisfactory to be with period.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I'm pretty sure you're that fruity "magical" 18 year old poet who just challenged someone with bigger Te than yours to a duel.

hmph, Te this :banned:

A

Anew Leaf

^ Se :yes:

...without regard to his type.

Edit: I dunno though, now that I think about it, I may be on to something. Elfboy reminds me more of ESFP's.

He strikes me as someone who isn't comfy yet with own type, so he is trying on other types to see what fits. Ie, ENTP and ESFP ish.

ENTP: for starting threads with bizarre comments meant to incite the natives... But not having the ENTP charm to back it up quite the full way, or get away with it.

I would find him less objectionable if he was just being himself, versus this disengenuine charade.

A

A window to the soul

He strikes me as someone who isn't comfy yet with own type, so he is trying on other types to see what fits. Ie, ENTP and ESFP ish.

ENTP: for starting threads with bizarre comments meant to incite the natives... But not having the ENTP charm to back it up quite the full way, or get away with it.

I would find him less objectionable if he was just being himself, versus this disengenuine charade.

Ah, maybe so.

hmph, Te this :banned:

Elfboy, did you ever get ESFP on the MBTI test?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just so we're clear, ENFP aren't the only type that keeps pestering others about that, are they? If so, I might be one... :thinking:

no no...infps are pretty bad about it too. they just usually think it's intp or infj or something..they're not usually confused about rather or not they're introverted.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
no no...infps are pretty bad about it too. they just usually think it's intp or infj or something..they're not usually confused about rather or not they're introverted.

Hah... I used to think I was one of those, not because I was cynical or sarcastic ('kay, I'm a wee sarcastic), but because I though F = crying all the time, and I was kinda intellectual and less open about my feelings - I still kinda am. Plus, I'm not a very social person, this forum notwithstanding...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just so we're clear, ENFP aren't the only type that keeps pestering others about that, are they? If so, I might be one... :thinking:

The difference, as noted, is that ENFPs will tend to want opinions on their own type, whereas a questioning INFP will want opinions on what the types they are considering are like. This is likely because the Ne-dom wants to brainstorm with other & the Fi-dom just wants more info before they make their own evaluation. The ENFP will be more content to brainstorm forever, & more inclined to re-open the discussion again in the future, whereas the INFP will at some point decide on their type & then not budge.

/massive generalization

So would we say that ENFP's are more likely to change their values as external stimuli challenges it? INFP's deny external stimuli and hold tight to their inner values, regardless of how out-of-touch they may be with reality? And is this the reason INFP's appear to have "other-worldly" vibe?

I don't have defined values in the way people seem to think Fi-doms do. I have these concepts of what is ideal, often illustrated in my mind via fantasies, but I'm open to many external manifestations of that concept. When something opposes these concepts in a way that threatens them, then I balk, but then also look for a new avenue to move past an obstacle. So more often than changing values, I simply change the way I see them being fulfilled in reality. When I do adopt a value/ideal, it often comes from recognizing a need I did not realize before.

For instance, when I was a child, I used to say I never wanted to marry; but once I got a bit older, I realized that marriage did not have to mean what it means for everyone else (ie. the house in the suburbs with the kids). Plus, I realized I need & want companionship & romance, etc, and so then marriage became a part of an ideal future in my mind. It was something I could now see value in for myself.

When I drop a value, it comes from realizing something is not as important as I previously thought. Sometimes its life experience, factual info, observations, or simply imagining a new possibility which seems ideal & does not require that thing.

However, I really find the core ideals staying the same, and the changes being minor ones I've branched off of those. It's not that systematic of course. I'm guessing this is not even all a Fi process either. It's pretty common for people to change values based on realizing a new need. However, I think the INFP tends to refuse to drop values/ideals with the hope that a way to realize them will manifest at some point, or if it doesn't, they'd rather live in an escapist fantasy than deal with reality. I think ENFPs may simply be more pro-active, but sometimes less discriminating, trying all kinds of things on for size.

INFP's do seem to have a special wisdom to them, even at an early age, I've noticed. I admire the INFP for not relying on other people so much.. and I feel like a jerk for mentioning this.. so it is in no way meant to be harmful... but I did read a study on relationships that shows partners of INTP/INFP have the greatest dissatisfaction. This study could be total bullshit.. but it's come up a few times. The only thing I can assume is that its the introversion factor, or a difficulty for them to verbalize emotionally.

If it's the same study I saw, then the INTPs have the most dissatisfied mates, but may be oblivious to it. The INFPs are the most dissatisfied themselves, but may actually have satisfied mates. In the case of the INFP, it's likely too high ideals leaving them unhappy, but the same high standards tend to make them good partners.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
don't get me wrong, ENFPs are awesome, but INFPs are like, magical :yes:
I didn't get this memo.

Besides, we idealise ENFPs back (well I do anyway). The grass is always greener and such...

Like the others have said, my core values barely ever budge; it is only the expression of them that changes. And these are common human values and hardly controversial. There are steps that result from the core value and they are more easy to alter the more removed they are from it. I don't really think of the rather changeable sort as values per se but more as opinions, attitudes or approaches. The core values rarely move because they are extremely generalised. It would take a lot to convince me that, for example, "treat people with basic respect", is not a good core value. Over time my view of how 'basic respect' is defined and what it encompasses has altered, as I experience more diverse situations. For me, a major goal in life is refining the details of what my values require of me, the exceptions and how each differs in various circumstances.

No, I've read that too and believe it. I think with INFPs its more the idealistic side (with reality falling short). Besides, I generally have problems finding real satisfaction in most things let alone relationships.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I don't think the values themselves changed much, but there is a process here that can go to two directions. You know, the values get all sorts of derivates on top of them, and sometimes the links between the core values and the derivates get so tangled up (because a misconception) that the outermost derivate can be almost separated from the value. So, the more I can clean and order these derivates, the more clear the expression of the core value comes through to the external world. The times I have been out of character, I can see in retrospect that there was too much confusion of the derivates, and the deeper I go towards the core, the clearer it is.

I'm not sure if I make this clear... It is like the core cannot link directly to the external world, so it needs these derivates as paths to different external situations. The core, by itself is unpractical, and the derivates are practical solutions. So, if the core says "no human is more or less valuable than another", the derivate might say "but some are better in some tasks", so I can discriminate people in the real world concerning their skills and such. This is not of course as pure as the core value, but I could not function in the world if there were no derivates.

EDIT: Of course, the core doesn't actually say anything in words. "Humans are equal" is already a derivate. If it said something, I guess it would be "unity".

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
If it's the same study I saw, then the INTPs have the most dissatisfied mates, but may be oblivious to it. The INFPs are the most dissatisfied themselves, but may actually have satisfied mates. In the case of the INFP, it's likely too high ideals leaving them unhappy, but the same high standards tend to make them good partners.

OA, I'm sure it was, because it touched on the exact things you mention here. So THANKYOU for the clarification! This has been a nugget of mis-understanding in my mind for a while now.. how or why the INFP could be viewed as an unsatisfactory partner in general. It just didn't match up with the INFP profile, and I kept thinking that I was missing something. But to say that it is more likely the INFP that struggles with relationship satisfaction makes alot of sense. I think all NF's struggle with 'grass is greener' issues'.. but I've noted that the INFP tends to specifically hold those closest to them to higher standards (as they do themselves) and I would bet that this comes to play again, beause of the measuring with the internal vs. external. So perhaps that can be an indicator of difference in E's and I's here. E's are more likely to accept the reality of their patner, and I's not as much.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, maybe so.

Elfboy, did you ever get ESFP on the MBTI test?

well, I've never been tested properly, but the first test I took came out INTJ. usually when I take a more shallow, surface level test I come out as INTP.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
well, I've never been tested properly, but the first test I took came out INTJ. usually when I take a more shallow, surface level test I come out as INTP.

I'd go with the INTJ. You're probably confused, because you're stuck in an Ni-Fi Dom-Tert loop.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think there is more to the differences between ENFP's and INFP's than just the extroversion/introversion aspect. It's also more than just simple cognitive functions, for example INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ all have the same 4 cognitive functions.

INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si
ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne
ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi

Clearly, function order (preferences) has a lot to do with who we are and how we present ourselves to the world.

One way the function order manifests and why it matters is during conflict and during conflict loops in particular, which is the dominant function + tertiary function. Since we are comparing ENFP vs. INFP that would be Ne + Te vs. Fi vs. Si. How do these manifest?

I was having a converstation on this very subject in ventrilo with CleanCutENFP and I suggested that as an ENFP he probably handles his problems by sharing them (in a very Te manner) with everyone he knows to get their opinion and to use them as sounding boards (Ne). The loop occurs when he incessantly talks about his problem with no impending action or decision being made and driving everyone nuts.

As an INFP when I need to solve a problem I'm having I often don't share it with anyone (very bad policy btw and the exact opposite of a couple ENFP's I know). I retreat to my cave of brooding and replay events in my head (Si) and get all butt hurt again (Fi violated) and just when I'm about to "get over it" my Si kicks in, rinse/repeat. Sometimes Ne sticks his head in my biz and offers "what if" scenarios (kicks Ne). I finally get tired and Te urges me to share my problem with someone to get some validation and it's during this phase that I actually "get over it" or figure it out.

We all handle conflict differently but my point is that those types are more than just E vs. I.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think there is more to the differences between ENFP's and INFP's than just the extroversion/introversion aspect. It's also more than just simple cognitive functions, for example INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ all have the same 4 cognitive functions.

INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si
ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne
ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi

Clearly, function order (preferences) has a lot to do with who we are and how we present ourselves to the world.

One way the function order manifests and why it matters is during conflict and during conflict loops in particular, which is the dominant function + tertiary function. Since we are comparing ENFP vs. INFP that would be Ne + Te vs. Fi vs. Si. How do these manifest?

I was having a converstation on this very subject in ventrilo with CleanCutENFP and I suggested that as an ENFP he probably handles his problems by sharing them (in a very Te manner) with everyone he knows to get their opinion and to use them as sounding boards (Ne). The loop occurs when he incessantly talks about his problem with no impending action or decision being made and driving everyone nuts.

As an INFP when I need to solve a problem I'm having I often don't share it with anyone (very bad policy btw and the exact opposite of a couple ENFP's I know). I retreat to my cave of brooding and replay events in my head (Si) and get all butt hurt again (Fi violated) and just when I'm about to "get over it" my Si kicks in, rinse/repeat. Sometimes Ne sticks his head in my biz and offers "what if" scenarios (kicks Ne). I finally get tired and Te urges me to share my problem with someone to get some validation and it's during this phase that I actually "get over it" or figure it out.

We all handle conflict differently but my point is that those types are more than just E vs. I.

Good point.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd go with the INTJ. You're probably confused, because you're stuck in an Ni-Fi Dom-Tert loop.

I wish lol. INTJs are friggin bad ass! :smoke: