• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] What does Fi look like in INTJ's?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
For anyone lucky enough to see Fi in an INTJ.. what does this function look like when they use it? I am hoping to get some concrete examples.

Do INTJ's use the dark side of Fi?

Does it only surface in love or close friendships?

Does it make them uncomfortable?

Any thoughts MUCH appreciated.

<3 <------ this is a heart and not a nut sack, i found out yesterday =)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like a diamond in the rough ;)

rav3n

From what I've seen of the INTJs through cyberspace, it appears to vary per individual. Some have learned to use it gently, others use it destructively. And even within each subcategory, there are variables, since its situation reliant. Bear in mind that observed behaviour doesn't guarantee an effective view of any internal process, especially if the observations are solely through cyberspace which is where I stand. I don't know any typed INTJs in real life although I'm beginning to wonder about a casual friend.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
For anyone lucky enough to see Fi in an INTJ.. what does this function look like when they use it? I am hoping to get some concrete examples.

It either looks like this when angry:

61.jpg

Or this when in love:

cute-emo-6.jpg

Why? Introverted feeling is in the tertiary position and is balanced by extroverted sensing subconscious when we are stressed or overexcited. We become very hypersensitive ISFPs when upset; if we are well managed we become ridiculously selfless because we don't have a decent grip on those parts of our life and need a partner to help us balance that Fi-Se dynamic.

Yes

Does it only surface in love or close friendships?

No

Does it make them uncomfortable?

Yes

Any thoughts MUCH appreciated.

I try to avoid thinking; it hurts. I don't recommend it.

It's totally a butt on an ice-cream cone.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think that it makes them look weak and pathetic, like they're wallowing in their own emotions. I know that doesn't sound very nice, but that's how I see it.

I feel kind of sorry for them, but I really want to push them back into Te mode when I see that... because I usually see the Fi use as "broken" behavior in an INTJ when it's too visible. I regard it as the greatest potential psychological weakness that exists in an INTJ, yet at the same time the function that allows them to be truly human and caring if used in moderation. Too much Fi in an INTJ is a VERY bad thing, though.

The INTJ is usually grateful, IME, if I can manage to pull them back up out of the Fi "muck," and restore them to a healthy Ni-ego state. This is especially relevant if an NFP has basically toyed with the INTJs emotions, and gotten them locked in their Fi to the point that the INTJ can no longer function adequately.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh:

i think it looks really cute. even when it's the angry type. i just want to hug them.

it's funny, because i have almost the opposite immediate response as you do, athenian. i am inclined to respect and be impressed by it, and if anything, i want to nurture it and encourage it. i tend to see Fi vulnerability not as weakness but as strength to open oneself up to others, and strength to utilize Feeling as means of dealing with oneself. as with both F functions, i respect when others are willing to wade through the pain that goes along with it.

though i do agree that a hurt IxTJ on a bad Fi trip is a terrible thing.

Huxley3112 said:

:rofl1:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

i think it looks really cute. even when it's the angry type. i just want to hug them.

Amen to that :coffee:

And a hug is oddly enough often all they need to recharge and go back out and conquer the world :doh:

Nicodemus

It is not unlike the Avatar State:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qox7LrLYA74"]1 + 1 = 2[/YOUTUBE]

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

What is the dark side of Fi? Anyway, I have a very high Fi, and I think that's why I want to be in politics, though that's also what makes me a realpolitik person.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The ends justify the means. The point in which we stop tends towards our Fi after Te. How far we are willing to bend the morality of an action. This would also make the pride and honourable traits INTJs every so often like to portray themselves as.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Recognizing Tert Fi influence has been a huge exercise for me. I spent a good part of last year in a real funk- actually the last 2 years when I think about it, and a lot of it was related to me not listening to my feelings. Before that, I took a very logical approach to a lot of matters, and it worked- even relationships-well it didn't work there. :/ But within the last 2 years- changing jobs, my first 'serious' relationship, loss of my gmom, and cutting ties with people who I would give my last for- I've learned to sit back and analyze, and really listen to how I feel about events in my life, and learn that it's okay to act on them, because they are just as valid, if not more, than logic.

So the impact of Fi in an IxTJ, at least the way I see it, is progressive, but takes some effor to reign it in.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^
Good info. So does the INTJ typically develop more Fi capacity as they age?

If so, what age range would you *typically* say you see this happen in?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
^^

30's. In my case anyway.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that it makes them look weak and pathetic, like they're wallowing in their own emotions. I know that doesn't sound very nice, but that's how I see it.

I feel kind of sorry for them, but I really want to push them back into Te mode when I see that... because I usually see the Fi use as "broken" behavior in an INTJ when it's too visible. I regard it as the greatest potential psychological weakness that exists in an INTJ, yet at the same time the function that allows them to be truly human and caring if used in moderation. Too much Fi in an INTJ is a VERY bad thing, though.

The INTJ is usually grateful, IME, if I can manage to pull them back up out of the Fi "muck," and restore them to a healthy Ni-ego state. This is especially relevant if an NFP has basically toyed with the INTJs emotions, and gotten them locked in their Fi to the point that the INTJ can no longer function adequately.
Could you explain more about this? Specifically, what kinds of things do INTJs in this unhealthy state do? What are the "broken behaviors"? In what way is this a psychological weakness - how can the INTJ be hurt by it? What do you mean by NFPs toying with their emotions (just what do they do)? Finally, what kinds of things can you do to pull the INTJ out of it?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think Fi is related to my sense of justice. I have always had a very strong sense of justice; by that I mean it bothers me when people are treated unfairly. I feel upset, anger, even outrage, which tells me that some fundamental value has been violated. I rarely act directly upon these emotions, of course, but rather step back from the initial reaction to analyze the situation, to determine how if at all I can help, and then to plan a course of action. I will work quite zealously for a cause I believe to be just and achievable. Whatever logical arguments I may bring to bear in addressing the situation, however, it gets my attention first and foremost as a violation of values, which is the realm of Fi.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It looks adorable when it makes them like cats and defend democracy.

It looks pretty repellent when it makes them say things like women should be seen and not heard.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks pretty repellent when it makes them say things like women should be seen and not heard.
This would be grounds for revoking their INTJ credentials (especially the females).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
^^

Yes. It's like an 'aha' moment when they realize that logic isn't the answer all the time. Like mentioned by ceecee it's somewhere around 30 (I was 31).
You'll see less of those Fi fits people are talking about in this thread and more comfort with their preferences that aren't from a textbook.
If you are in a relationship with them, you'll probably see more of the touchy-feely stuff (not a total 180, though)
I can't say this happens with all of them- it depends on what Fi dictates in that person- I just know that it happened to me. I still get kind of tight with the emotional expression from time to time. But I'm a lot better. compared to even 2 years ago.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Could you explain more about this? Specifically, what kinds of things do INTJs in this unhealthy state do? What are the "broken behaviors"? In what way is this a psychological weakness - how can the INTJ be hurt by it? What do you mean by NFPs toying with their emotions (just what do they do)? Finally, what kinds of things can you do to pull the INTJ out of it?

If I understand her language, an INTJ who doesn't recognize their Fi is more subject to the mucky mess- falling in love and falling hard, almost like a slave. The opposite is an INTJ who resists it and fights Fi by refusing to give in to those feelings. The balanced INTJ's going to allow themselves to give in but keep it under control. The actual 'giving in' is pretty hard, because it feels like somebody is ripping out a piece of your soul, when you put it all on the line- especially if it's not well received.

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'll never see my emotions in their most primal or even sincere stage if I have anything to do with it and it almost always manifests negatively. If I express myself when I'm not out of control, I never begin anything with "I feel" and it always has an impersonal feel to them. I use similes, metaphors, sarcasm, allusions etc. to get my point across. For example, if I was describing an irresponsible urge, I'd say "I'm like Mathieu (from a Sartre novel) and I despise that much as I despise him!" (and yes, I expect you to know what I'm talking about) And I run the risk of extrapolating my emotional state into some sort of philosophical discourse.

My most negative outbursts of Fi (now the shadow Fe, I suppose, now that it's out in the public) are long, passionate even exaggerated rants, and if it's directed at someone in my vicinity, I'd attack them rather viciously with words. If they're not around, I grab hold of my best friend and verbally rip the object of my frustration to shreds (and I can be rather clever with words), and if someone pisses me off that much, it's likely that I'd not be able to refrain from deriding him to my friend at every opportunity even after my rage has passed. If I'm just emotionally charged, I'd threaten and boast about outrageous things, for example, threaten to drink myself into oblivion and destroy the hotel room I'm in, or leave someone forever (it was my parents for the longest time) and do hedonistic shit.

So no, Fi doesn't "look like" anything in my case because you'd never see it. It is very developed though, and I have a strong sense of empathy and compassion that just don't show. Most people are surprised to learn I have these feelings, actually. An INTP friend told recently my Fi outbursts are quite frightening, and I admitted immediately afterwards I was boasting (it was the drinking thing; I never liked the taste of alcohol and have never finished one beer. In fact, I'm always ridiculously self-disciplined). He knew I was being melodramatic, but apparently it still unnerved him. There are melodramatic threats that don't scare anyone, and there are my threats.