• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs are you spiritual?

What are you, NFs?

• Religious

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Spiritual

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Non-spiritual (only believes in science)

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Just curious after the 'marrying atheists' thread, can we assume that the NFs on TC are generally spiritual? And despite my joke about making people join my sect in the other thread - I consider myself spiritual rather than religious.
To clarify what I mean by the cathegories in the poll:

- Religious: Follower by an organized movement, which includes some sort of dogma, common belief shared by the members, you are expected to buy all of it - not pick and choose to your own preference. Belief in higher powers of some sort.

- Spiritual: Either loosely organized, or individual practice (not organized), has the opportunity to be eclectic (pick and choose) without being considered 'wrong'. Open to the idea that there may be something bigger than us, a meaningful spiritual reality of some sort. Respects that other people may be right too. There is not ONE answer to the mystery of life, there may be multiple answers. Can also be agnostic.

- Non-spiritual: What you see is all there is. My only religion is science.

Last edited:
P

Phantonym

I am not religious. Given the narrow categories, I'd place myself between the spiritual and non-spiritual, not really accepting either view to their full extent nor do I engage in any kind of practices.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess by those definitions I am non-spiritual, because I don't devote time/brainpower/individual practice towards anything spiritual. There isn't any specific 'meaningful spiritual reality' that I adhere to / believe in. :shrug: Although, I don't strictly agree with 'What you see is all there is', either, because how can that be possibly true when the only things we see are in this tiny little speck of a planet in a giant surrounding universe? But yes, in a sense, I 'only' believe in science. I'd rather put my belief/views in line with what actually happens, rather than leave it to my own brain and what I'd like to imagine to be reality, or hope to be reality, or like to think is reality. I'd like my beliefs to incorporate what is shown to be true, with the recognition that there is a lot that is still unknown, and may forever remain unknown given limitations of one thing or another.

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Ok, maybe I was too specific on the 'spiritual' description. In my view it also includes an openness towards spirituality, and that we also have the right to not define/not decide on what spirituality is. Thus, this is also the agnostic option IMO.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I am both spiritual and religious. But it's about the love and beauty and amazement and wonder. The love, the love, the love!

How could I not?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Spirituality is the 3rd realm of intelligence . Of course I am spiritual.

KDude

Spiritual. I wouldn't say entirely non-religious or non-spiritual. I'm not trying to make anything up all on my own or closed to facts. I learn from many areas.. and then I probably just get spiritual about it all. X)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is a toughie,

This is what I wrote to my friend about my belief.

I wanted to further say that my belief is curious. I have an inclination towards that the primal energy source that is universal energy is too awesome and then to humanise the aspect that is comprehensible to humanity a fragment, a God personality happened that is perhaps a splinter from the multitude all universal reality. And what we suspect is God energy, and yes there is God energy, I've felt different energies surrounding Muslim, Christian and Jewish beliefs. That includes you, at the meditation party I quizzed this with a meditation instructor and said that some peoples energies feels different, she said its normal and I shrugged it off. Now to me this feels like an Egregore which means an occult term for collective consciousness or thought form. And this can be higher masters, higher beings, lower beings and masters and anywhere in between miss aligning who we are from becoming attuned to our vibrational energy in accepting the light and ourselves. This would sound strange to you I have to say.

In essence my interpretation of God energy, spirit energy, Primal energy comes to the same, that it is part of a multitude all reality and yet divergent depending on the characteristic assigned with the interpretation of beliefs. And this also means that as the collective consciousness that we are, when people believe in an entity enough, like a morphogenetic field, where our memories and thoughts are influenced from pasts. How widespread the traditions, the values and indeed the conceptual reality becomes fact and gives rise to such energy. And that is how it becomes part of peoples realities and myths alike. A strong belief in something that is outside of themselves rather than inside of themselves.

Is that spiritual, atheist, other!?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, atheists can be spiritual. They're sometimes called Buddhists.

I am spiritual but not religious. I am agnostic.

Starry

Spirituality is the 3rd realm of intelligence . Of course I am spiritual.

Something rubs me the wrong way with regards to this statement. This could be due to the fact that I am unaware of this notion of ‘levels of intelligence’ with ‘spirituality’ being placed in the ‘3rd realm’. I googled it. But nothing specifically pertaining to ‘it’ came up in the search. I am hoping you can return and explain it as, the way it stands, it comes across as if you are saying individuals that are not spiritual are lacking in some intellectually important way. That their level of intelligence is not up to standard with yours and I can’t imagine this is what you mean. Please enlighten me.

It is funny because in my own experience, it is my friends that are atheists that I notice demonstrating some of the most selfless, ‘spiritual’, emotionally intelligent behavior of all.

As for me I entertain spiritual thought on a daily basis. Yet at the end of the day I feel we do not have enough information. I definitely consider myself to be agnostic.

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Actually, atheists can be spiritual. They're sometimes called Buddhists.

I am spiritual but not religious. I am agnostic.

But they believe in reincarnation, don't they? And that is a meaningful reality/system not supported by science :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Something rubs me the wrong way with regards to this statement. This could be due to the fact that I am unaware of this notion of ‘levels of intelligence’ with ‘spirituality’ being placed in the ‘3rd realm’. I googled it. But nothing specifically pertaining to ‘it’ came up in the search. I am hoping you can return and explain it as, the way it stands, it comes across as if you are saying individuals that are not spiritual are lacking in some intellectually important way. That their level of intelligence is not up to standard with yours and I can’t imagine this is what you mean. Please enlighten me.

It is funny because in my own experience, it is my friends that are atheists that I notice demonstrating some of the most selfless, ‘spiritual’, emotionally intelligent behavior of all.

As for me I entertain spiritual thought on a daily basis. Yet at the end of the day I feel we do not have enough information. I definitely consider myself to be agnostic.

It's called SQ or spirituality quotient. It's a Theory that holds about as much weight in the scientific community as MBTI.

But Like MBTI, I feel there is there is something there.

If I came across as seeming superior, that was not my intention. At least you are asking for an explanation as opposed to assuming , Thank you.

I actually feel ostracized and ridiculed most times, when I try to explain that there is whole realm of possibilities just outside our normal physical grasp that we can actually touch from time to time.

http://www.lifepositive.com/mind/evolution/iq-genius/intelligence.asp

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Technically speaking, I'm spiritual, but I believe in science. I just keep in mind that science is still very much taking its baby steps. Even so, I do believe that eventually science will be able to explain all those 'supernatural' phenomena, as part of our universe and quite natural.

What makes me spiritual? I actually believe the Earth is a living organism.

And I believe in lepricauns and brownies, stealing my keys :ninja:

KDude

But they believe in reincarnation, don't they? And that is a meaningful reality/system not supported by science :)

This goes without mentioning that Buddhism is somewhat like Christianity, where different branches adopt a lot of previous myths/beliefs of the locale. My mom is a Theravada Buddhist, for example. Her whole country is. They are about as close as one gets to a "fundamentalist" sort of Buddhism.. very stripped down. Yet, there's still all kinds of spiritual entities, paranormal type of beliefs, realms of damnation and bliss, etc.. In Mahayana Buddhism, there's even more of it. There are heavens, hells, demons, ghosts, gods, demigods.. It's just that Nirvana itself is beyond any of it.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Technically speaking, I'm spiritual, but I believe in science. I just keep in mind that science is still very much taking its baby steps. Even so, I do believe that eventually science will be able to explain all those 'supernatural' phenomena, as part of our universe and quite natural.

What makes me spiritual? I actually believe the Earth is a living organism.

And I believe in lepricauns and brownies, stealing my keys :ninja:

A sock gremlin lives in my dryer.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I honestly think Taoism makes more sense to me than anything, the flow of the universe, the power within all living things.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A sock gremlin lives in my dryer.

:D Yeah see, I have to deal with grumpy brownies misplacing tons of stuff whenever I haven't paid attention to the household for a while. And I swear, everytime I give up saerching and resign to the situation, it shows up in a spot I've checked like 5 times :doh:

That trickster has way too much fun at my expense :blush: