• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] NFs, would you marry an atheist?

NFs, would you marry an atheist?

• NO - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I understand, and I think you might be taking "no belief" too far in your assessment here. We can't have beliefs about something we don't or can't think about. There are people out there, whom I have never met, that will have beliefs about concepts I will never hear about. My "beliefs" about these concepts are implicitly absent. The easiest way I can explain it would be to pose a question. Does the absence of belief imply belief of absence? This is the difference between implicit atheism and explicit atheism. There are some who do not believe in god who would state "I do not believe in any god", and others who do not believe in any god, but couldn't say this, because they are detached from the concept and therefore unable to have a belief about god(s).

Haha! Thanks. :D
It's been like a logical puzzle with no end and now I got it on a silver plating.

Alchemilla

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like so much the way you put it! Life can be seen in a meaningful and beautiful way, it doesn't need a religion to be wonderful... And, strangely, I feel very spiritual that way...

Thank you! :)

Chloe

yes, i would marry an atheist. but he must have some "spiritual" aspect, not neccessary put big importantce to it as i do, but he must have it in himself. believe in people, love. no hard core T.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Psshhhh, yes. I'm not the marrying kind, but if i WAS i would marry an atheist no problems.

kinda helps that i am one though.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
Why would type even matter? It depends on the individual person and their opinions/religion. Personally, I would. Why not? Wouldn't have a wedding though. That's a religious ceremony.

Rationista

MBTI Type
INFJ
Atheist means "non-theist" in the same way asymmetrical means "non-symmetrical." It's not really a label that tells you what the atheist does believe in, just what they don't believe in.

Yes, this is my view as well. To me atheism doesn't describe much of what I actually believe in terms of life's philosophy. It just means that I reject the notion that there exists supernatural beings or forces. If I were to use a term to describe my philosophical beliefs it would be naturalism or secular humanism, which are much more comprehensive world views.

So, yes I would marry an atheist.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm an INFJ and atheist, so it wouldn't a problem for me. My husband-to-be is an ex-Catholic who now identifies as agnostic.

I have just as many problems with aggressive, narrow minded atheists as I do with aggressive, narrow minded religious folk. Most of my friends have religious beliefs, but they're not chomping at the bit to argue so I believe and they don't attack me. There is mutual respect.

We've gotten into debates, but I take care to pay attention to where they are coming from. I'm only really argumentative and defensive when I'm faced with someone attacking me. My religious friends are very 'live and let live' types and so am I. I attend their religious ceremonies and picnics, and I'm not the kind of asshole who will make some kind of statement if people say grace around the dinner table. These things don't offend me and I don't think they are naive or stupid. To me, there ARE positive aspects to many religions, I respect and understand the comfort religion gives and how it often serves as a very, very positive guide for people to simply keep in touch with their desires to do good, to figure out how they feel, on a regular basis. I truly do admire the strong community and family aspects found in a lot of Church groups. I get a shit ton of flack for this attitude from atheist friends who are more militant about it.

Deities, religious text, and all of it just doesn't make sense to me personally and I just feel it is a man-made creation, but I'm not knocking the altruistic and positive roots of a lot of it. It's the stuff that advocates hate, discrimination, war, and excusable violence that bothers me, and when it winds up cutting off minds to possibilities, growth, and learning. I feel like I can discern the extremists from the rest. I've met a lot of angry extremists who belittle me and try to intimidate or bully me with their beliefs, but on the same token I've met just as many wonderful, giving, loving folks with religion in their lives. I don't really care if you're religious, what matters to me is character and how someone treats others. I am NOT above religious people, I just feel I'm above hateful, bullying people, and that goes for EVERYONE I meet.

I can be wary of religious folks, but I never turn my back. I get nervous about what may happen when our differences in belief come to the table, but I see it through so I may see if we can simply connect as people and form a friendship over all the things we have in common rather than what we don't. Sometimes it's just impossible because some of the things I stand for seem in direct conflict whichever religious text they follow, but many times there is mutual respect. I like the rare occasion when I see couples comprised of an atheist and a religious person. I can only think of one example right now, but that couple worked wonderfully together and their kids were very smart, loved and loving, steady, and good-natured. That's the most important thing at the end of the day, isn't it?

mrconfusion87

MBTI Type
INFP
Not inclined to officially marry - have the wedding, and get the paperwork done - too much hassle and unnecessary expenses, but I wouldn't mind settling down with one as long as they aren't the Richard Dawkins extremist types!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs seem pretty open to the idea :wubbie:
Btw, I'd assume the forum users are more open minded than the general population, which means the results should be taken with a grain of salt :newwink:

Xellotath

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I used to read Richard Dawkins, so its not like I'm scared of the militant atheist type, or antitheists a-la Hitchens...
I simply reserve the right to logically dismantle the essentialist modernist paradigm they are so eager to sell when we're in an argument.

So then we can re-conciliate like a good, french postmodern couple with "Well, you are clearly the incarnation of the Other - as am I to you. Let's flip a coin and whoever wins takes the garbage out."

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ive never met a complete true Atheist that did not try to force their beliefs on me, and act or sometimes straight up SAY that I was naive (at best) for having any spiritual beliefs, Ive met a few who self identify as atheists, but are technically Agnostic atheists (they believe in atheism, but believe its possible they could be wrong, and often that other people aren't necessarily stupid/naive for believing in something spiritual/religious.) and one of them is one of my closest friends... the other agnostic atheists ive met are really great to... I voted No however as an Agnostic atheist, is well, not an atheist, I could see myself marrying an Agnostic or Agnostic atheist... but I do not believe i will ever meet an Atheist that respects my beliefs... not to say its impossible, I just consider it extremely unlikely based on the experiences ive had so far.

To be clear, I am NOT saying all Atheists are that closed minded/condescending... just that all I have personally met are...

This.

Also, they'd have to be willing to put up with my sporadic attempts to convince them in the importance of religious thought to humans and the development of modern human thought, much like my attempts to convince them that elevators are inherently unsafe, that clocks with hands cause time to stop existing, and other energetic moments of random enlightenment.

EDIT: So basically, if they can put up with me being a water spout of nonsense and pseudoscience that directly challenges their science-laden worldview, then sure! I'm game!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This.

Also, they'd have to be willing to put up with my sporadic attempts to convince them in the importance of religious thought to humans and the development of modern human thought, much like my attempts to convince them that elevators are inherently unsafe, that clocks with hands cause time to stop existing, and other energetic moments of random enlightenment.

EDIT: So basically, if they can put up with me being a water spout of nonsense and pseudoscience that directly challenges their science-laden worldview, then sure! I'm game!

that has to do with them putting up with you being an NFP, not being religious lol

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seemed like a good moment to bump this thread. :)

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Good thing you bumped!:)

And yes, I'll marry an atheist - they come in different flavours....

G

Ginkgo

You're probably going to spot more trends in why they are atheist/theists than trends in whether they're theistic/atheist.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, just as long as their views aren't as strong as "burning in hell" as some Christians seem to like to spout.

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not religious myself, so yes. Likewise, I'd happily be willing to marry a religious person so as long as they understand and respect my lack of beliefs (or at least very minimal amount of beliefs) and that I know they won't try to impose it on our future spawn. And I wouldn't try to force my atheism on my kiddos, either. Let them choose what they wish as long as it doesn't lead to the destruction, hatred, oppression, or injury of others.

Oddly enough, all the NFs I know in real life -minus my Pagan friend- aren't religious...Huh.

Edit; And if I married another atheist, I'd still at least expect them to respect religions, or at least the daily ceremonies. By that, I mean I don't want them to give dirty looks to people who pray or even go out into the forest and perform spells, like my friend does. When I do visit a person who happens to be religious, and they want to pray before eating, I have nothing wrong with it. It's not harming anyone, so let it be. Plus, it's their house.

This same basic rule would apply to my kids and such. I'd be pretty upset to hear about them being rude to somebody for being different or who does things differently.

V

violaine

Yes. I'm INFJ and not inclined towards worship of a deity. I am very interested in existential, philosophical (metaphysical) matters. Even different religions, in a purely intellectual way. But not life viewed through the sole lens of a single religion with a code I must live by. (Prob best for me to end up with a fellow, curious minded non-believer).