• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You are wrong. it's a misconception about having a feeling preference that you're relying on. Whatever the whole nonsense about this actually means. Of course you have to define yourself in terms of others if you want to be a good person: do you improve understanding of something, or make a discovery that benifits humanity, or improve a situation among people around you, or make laws more just, of course it's in terms of other people. It's just that for our stupid culture, 'in terms of others' is supposed to mean 'Oh, what will the neighbors think?' but really it obviously means more than that (and often completely negates it). OK?
Wow, good post, very true indeed. :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm wondering, any of you ENPs:

Is meeting another ENP in real life as explosive and electrifying for you guys as it invariably has been for me?

It's been my experience that there's a certain kind of chemistry Ne shares, and when two people who have it strongly find each other, their imaginations go berserk and take off on a marathon of intellectual orgies.

For me, this is very intoxicating: most other people seem so dreary and unwilling to play with me to at my highest intensity levels, although I'll admit it takes a bit for me to drop my guard fully. But once it's gone, it rocks my world.

Anyway, just curious.
No fair, oh how I long to find a partner to go berserk with and take off on a marathon of intellectual orgies!!!

Where have all the ENPs gone, long time passing, I wanna know...

peh, I'm surrounded by zombies!!!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, I think ENFP really has a rare ability to go deep, down, down, dooooown 'the rabbit hole' (man, I keep using that term) and follow people wherever they go, even random strangers. I'm sure it can seem alarming, baffling, or just stupid to some other types. I know for me, my ego can dissolve with someone else's like that:snap: Yeah, that seriously does necessitate therapy. So I do protect myself...but dammit, you still want to get close to people! Why???? Why???
So spot on... so eerily spot effing on!!!

WOW!!!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Right, lol, I know this thread has gone off track somewhat... :p But I'm gonna respond to the OP anyway. :p

I have a good friend who's an ENTP, and so I'll write this based on the differences/similarities between us. I've only known her about a year (although we got to know each other super-fast so it seems like much longer), so I can't relate from years of shared experiences, but still. :p

I can talk to her about anything, and she can totally follow my jumps in thought processes - she 'gets' me, like very few other people do, and it is frankly just a relief to be able to let loose and not have to hide behind normalcy. ;)

We make each other laugh so much, in ways that would have other people shaking their heads and walking away slooowly. We were incredibly disruptive when we had a class together - I don't think we ever completely shut up. :D

She's more responsible and in some ways 'mature' than I am... of course that may have a bit to do with our respective circumstances. She enjoys argument and playing devils advocate... she doesn't just accept things from people, even authority figures. I tend to be fairly passive and although I might disagree with someone's opinions, I usually just let things pass.

She's nice, and very charming, but she's very much herself. I'm more varied, depending on who I'm around.

And yes, he can be much crueller than me and tends to be able to justify his own behaviour more easily, he can easily shake people off who attach to him if he doesn't like them or find them interesting, whilst I tend to feel a sorta duty to stick with them and work with them and stuff, regardless of whether I like them much.

I wasn't sure I agreed with ENFPs being 'cold and cruel' at times, as mentioned previously, but yes, in this way I suppose we are. If I feel threatened (or scared, or irritated, etc), I quite easily shut someone out and ignore them until they go away.

I'm not so sure how my friend would deal with it, though.

What's all this, "ENFPs strive to be liked", business?

Having people like me has never been a goal, or pursuit of mine. Although I do like/enjoy quality attention from a select few, I cannot stand being center stage, or receiving unwanted attention.

Now, see, can I say that I do very much want to be liked, but at the same time I hate being center stage and getting unwanted attention?

Actually, nothing makes me feel more wonderful than when someone turns to me and delivers a compliment like, 'Wow, you're actually really ____". Like they weren't expecting it. That's nice. :)

But really, I just want to recieve the same sort of interest and attention from people that I give to them. :)

Is meeting another ENP in real life as explosive and electrifying for you guys as it invariably has been for me?

There's definitely an ease and a freedom with which two ENPs can just let go and bounce off each other... which is really, really wonderful because we can do this with so very few others and have to hold ourselves back.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Human beings are animals.

Women have boobs. (a very silly word btw)

Boobsmotivation.jpg
:D

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I can talk to her about anything, and she can totally follow my jumps in thought processes - she 'gets' me, like very few other people do, and it is frankly just a relief to be able to let loose and not have to hide behind normalcy. ;)

Yes! And vice versa, I'm sure.

There's sort of an implicit understanding between the two types, I think. Even though my sample space is pretty limited, every time I've met and got close to another ENP, the result was a sort of happy "Whoa... you're sort of like me..? COOL!" moment after which we talked and played and expelled a ridiculous amount of energy at one another.

I always hold back my full mental intensity because I know most people can't handle it. But when two high-intensity ENP types get together and are comfortable enough to unleash all their raw mental juices... watch out!

We make each other laugh so much, in ways that would have other people shaking their heads and walking away slooowly. We were incredibly disruptive when we had a class together - I don't think we ever completely shut up. :D

Hahaha oh how I could share stories, especially about the last part.

Probably one of the two ENFPs I've really gotten sort of close to in life was this girl (whom I was completely in love with) that I met in a political science class. She'd single me out during the discussions and we'd talk over the professor. And this would continue outside class, into the parking lot, over the phone on the drive home, over AIM when we got home, and probably on some unconscious level we'd continue in our sleep. My other friend in the class said it was so mentally exhausting trying to follow us that he literally became dizzy a few times... HAH!

But alas, we were both transferring to schools 1000 miles away, so nothing happened. That is another story though.

It's even worse when the professor as an ENP! Then the class is irrecoverably and forever derailed (more on this later).

There's definitely an ease and a freedom with which two ENPs can just let go and bounce off each other... which is really, really wonderful because we can do this with so very few others and have to hold ourselves back.

True! There's that weird implicit understanding between them and a strange way that they can unleash all their mental storms at one another and become energized by it! Fun!

CaptainChick said:
No fair, oh how I long to find a partner to go berserk with and take off on a marathon of intellectual orgies!!!

:hug:

CaptainChick said:
Where have all the ENPs gone, long time passing, I wanna know...

peh, I'm surrounded by zombies!!!

They're hard to spot, or at least, hard to find one in the right place at the right time who you can see the potential in!

I've really only known of 4: HS friend, crazy polysci girl, my advisor/favorite math professor, and a fun engineering student I knew.

And my advisor is on a freaking sabbatical for the year. I'm left with *no one* to play with... =/

With the percentage of the population that ENPs supposedly to make up, you'd think there'd be more around. Maybe part of the reason is I've just become jaded and expect people to be zombies so I fly around with my blinds on and sometimes don't look to connect to people..?

Who knows. I am sad now. I need an intellectual playmate. This is why I talked to my stuffed animals when I was a kid.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I like this quote:

"If the INTP played life as chess, he would keep wishing to modify the allowed-move-properties of his various pieces to optimise his strategy, find that that isn't allowed, and ask to start the game afresh! The ENTP chess player would indeed modify the rules to his advantage and complain that the standard rules were inadequate! The ENTJ would play by the standard rules but insist on making the moves for his opponent as well !"

An ENFP would feel bad that the other person losing and encourage the other person while intentionally making bad moves of their own. An ENFJ would feel bad about the other person losing and would sacrifice their own pieces to help the other person.

Does that sound right?

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
An ENFP would feel bad that the other person losing and encourage the other person while intentionally making bad moves of their own. An ENFJ would feel bad about the other person losing and would sacrifice their own pieces to help the other person.

Does that sound right?

How about: an ENFP would get really competitive and trounce their opponent soundly and then feel bad that they've forgotten to be considerate and spend the next hour consoling the poor person. ;)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
There's sort of an implicit understanding between the two types, I think. Even though my sample space is pretty limited, every time I've met and got close to another ENP, the result was a sort of happy "Whoa... you're sort of like me..? COOL!" moment after which we talked and played and expelled a ridiculous amount of energy at one another.

Well, mine's even more limited, but it was definitely like that with this girl. We were seated next to each other by pure chance and it just took off from there. :D

Also, I love that phrase: 'expelled a ridiculous amount of energy at one another'. Absolutely!!

Hahaha oh how I could share stories, especially about the last part.

Probably one of the two ENFPs I've really gotten sort of close to in life was this girl (whom I was completely in love with) that I met in a political science class. She'd single me out during the discussions and we'd talk over the professor. And this would continue outside class, into the parking lot, over the phone on the drive home, over AIM when we got home, and probably on some unconscious level we'd continue in our sleep. My other friend in the class said it was so mentally exhausting trying to follow us that he literally became dizzy a few times... HAH!

That sounds absolutely hilarious! And brilliant. :D

It's even worse when the professor as an ENP! Then the class is irrecoverably and forever derailed (more on this later).

Oh, I'd love to hear these stories! Derailed classes are absolutely the most fun, anyway. You don't learn anything if things don't get derailed. :devil: I've had a few professors/tutors who were probably INPs of some description, but they'd go off into these totally fascinating ruminations about just about anything. But an ENP professor would be something else... :party2:

They're hard to spot, or at least, hard to find one in the right place at the right time who you can see the potential in!

With the percentage of the population that ENPs supposedly to make up, you'd think there'd be more around. Maybe part of the reason is I've just become jaded and expect people to be zombies so I fly around with my blinds on and sometimes don't look to connect to people..?

Yeah, funny enough we're supposed to be at least present in the population, if not common. Maybe we all spend so much time wanderng around hiding behind our masks so that we can pass by one of our own kind without any bleep of recognition on our radars... :(

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP

Does that sound right?

BINGO!!!!
Like I purposely stuffed up a relationship for a low self esteemed person, so that THEY can break up with me and dump me!! I didnt have the heart to dump them, so made it seem they broke it off!
:)

heart

heart on fire
"heart" said:
Being willing to take care of someone you care about or keep them company when they are sick is now considered "sissy"?

my idea of real friendship is not the people who are "nice" but those who keep each other on their feet and their eyes looking forward

although sympathy is the most comfortable response, it isn't often the most healthy.

as fucked up as it sounds, it's the people i respect and care for the most that get the most unfriendly side of my disposition at times. life is tough for people sometimes and i dont think setting an example of weakness is helpful during those times.

Can you expound on what you view as an example of weakness towards someone in tough times?

Edit: I am not getting the connection between being willing to offer practical help or company to someone who is sick and setting an example of "weakness" for someone else. On the surface it just sounds like an excuse to be selfish.

I have an ISTP in my family who is like that. When someone needs sympathy or help, he is caustic but when it is his turn to go through misery he wants to cry everyone's shoulder. I grow burned out with it.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
most people drastically overreact to detrimental occurrences. society has become so pampered that they completely lose sight of what having something bad happen to you really looks like.

at least on my part, it would be easier to pretend that whatever someone is going through is as bad as they think it is, and come off as kind, understanding, and sympathetic. the more selfless thing to do is to not only tell them the truth, but to also show it to them... at the cost of looking like an asshole.

i am understanding of what someone is thinking and feeling when "calamity" befalls them... but i also take it a step further and offer some perspective on what has happened.

with that said, the family member you speak of is probably just selfish, if he understood this then he wouldnt be asking others for sympathy when the tables are turned.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You see, I could give two fecal droppings about thread tangents, it happens in real life discussions as well.

But this thread isn't about atheism so, let the tangents continue!!!

*I HATE BLARING INCONSISTENCIES*

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
You see, I could give two fecal droppings about thread tangents, it happens in real life discussions as well.

But this thread isn't about atheism so, let the tangents continue!!!

thank you for your permission!

heart

heart on fire
most people drastically overreact to detrimental occurrences. society has become so pampered that they completely lose sight of what having something bad happen to you really looks like.

at least on my part, it would be easier to pretend that whatever someone is going through is as bad as they think it is, and come off as kind, understanding, and sympathetic. the more selfless thing to do is to not only tell them the truth, but to also show it to them... at the cost of looking like an asshole.

i am understanding of what someone is thinking and feeling when "calamity" befalls them... but i also take it a step further and offer some perspective on what has happened.

with that said, the family member you speak of is probably just selfish, if he understood this then he wouldnt be asking others for sympathy when the tables are turned.

Okay, I get that. When someone makes a dumb decision, they suffer the consequenses, sure. You tell them what they did wrong and let the chips fall where they may. Yes, got that.

What does any of that have to do with being sick and needing help or feeling lonely and wanting company?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
So, no need for my permission.

i was being sarcastic

Okay, I get that. When someone makes a dumb decision, they suffer the consequenses, sure. You tell them what they did wrong and let the chips fall where they may. Yes, got that.

What does any of that have to do with being sick and needing help or feeling lonely and wanting company?

its not about telling someone how wrong they are, it's about giving them perspective on the matter in regards to the future.

my apologies for being unclear about this... i was giving my input on the matter, not arguing against giving someone practical aid. i often quote the sentence that got me thinking about something, that's where my ideas tie into the discussion.

heart

heart on fire
its not about telling someone how wrong they are, it's about giving them perspective on the matter in regards to the future.

my apologies for being unclear about this... i was giving my input on the matter, not arguing against giving someone practical aid. i often quote the sentence that got me thinking about something, that's where my ideas tie into the discussion.

Oh okay, I understand then. What about an ISTP who needs perspective but won't take it, how would you recommend handling that person? Serious question.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
i was being sarcastic.
Yup, it was either that, or you being snide. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and assumed it was the former and not the latter, so yeah, uh, duh?!?!?

The response I made was aimed at driving a point unrelated to you personally. :cool: