• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi rejective PoLR. ENFPs use more of what is classed the Fe archetype than they like to admit and reject Ti.

guilty as charged. my Fe is excellent, but I'm an Fe hater :laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Precisely, I can use Ti very very well when pushed... but ask me to use Fe and I scowl madly and get angry.

I'm also fairly good using basic level Ti (precise definition, logical deduction) but when you get into really advanced, technical Ti I kinda jump the boat. wouldn't say I'm a Ti hater though. the functions I hate on most are probably Fe (definitely first), unbalanced Si and Se.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'm also fairly good using basic level Ti (precise definition, logical deduction) but when you get into really advanced, technical Ti I kinda jump the boat. wouldn't say I'm a Ti hater though. the functions I hate on most are probably Fe (definitely first), unbalanced Si and Se.

Now we are getting somewhere, explain this 'unbalanced Si/Se'

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Quit stealing our functions NTJ/NFPs! *glare*

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now we are getting somewhere, explain this 'unbalanced Si/Se'

Si that is closed minded/unwilling to break rules (mostly Si/Te in this instance, but Si/Fe to an extent as well)
Se that is constantly trying to mess with you/press your buttons. I have punched more than one ESXP in the face for this behavior
unhealthy Fe is ass kissing, has no integrity, gets emotional and everything, and (worst of all) becomes collectivistic and refuses to stay out of your business. even healthy Fe gets on my nerves though lol

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Si that is closed minded/unwilling to break rules (mostly Si/Te in this instance, but Si/Fe to an extent as well)
Se that is constantly trying to mess with you/press your buttons. I have punched more than one ESXP in the face for this behavior
unhealthy Fe is ass kissing, has no integrity, gets emotional and everything, and (worst of all) becomes collectivistic and refuses to stay out of your business. even healthy Fe gets on my nerves though lol

That doesn't sound like any cognitive function descriptions I've heard of before?

Quit stealing our functions NTJ/NFPs! *glare*

People like to point out that these are 'archetypal preferences'...

They don't often ask 'preferred to what'.

*gasp, howl, earth moves, world implodes, etc.*

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Oh you stop that! RULES, there are RULES, since when can rules be broken?!? :shock:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That doesn't sound like any cognitive function descriptions I've heard of before?

I wasn't giving a proper cognitive description. you asked me what I meant, and I told you :yes:

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Oh you stop that! RULES, there are RULES, since when can rules be broken?!? :shock:

When they were never rules to begin with or when they are not enforced justly. In this case, the first because everyone has vestiges of the 8 archetypes due to attitude differentiation of the 4 functions.

I wasn't giving a proper cognitive description. you asked me what I meant, and I told you :yes:

Have you ever considered ENTJ... just putting that out there :D Yes, I will have incredible difficulty explaining that and its probably wrong. Treat it as a bastard godchild typing suggestion.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When they were never rules to begin with or when they are not enforced justly. In this case, the first because everyone has vestiges of the 8 archetypes due to attitude differentiation of the 4 functions.

Have you ever considered ENTJ... just putting that out there :D Yes, I will have incredible difficulty explaining that and its probably wrong. Treat it as a bastard godchild typing suggestion.

several times :D I'm afraid my ENTJ-esque personality is more a product of nurture than nature. my INTJ 8w7 best friend has influenced me a lot and I find NTJs inspirational and easy to get along with. plus they're just right about things most of the time. because of this I have strong Te and a strong 8 wing (you should have seen me as a child. I would cry when someone stepped on a butterfly and most of the time I just wanted to snuggle with my teddy bear and pretend I was protecting him)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
several times :D I'm afraid my ENTJ-esque personality is more a product of nurture than nature. my INTJ 8w7 best friend has influenced me a lot and I find NTJs inspirational and easy to get along with. plus they're just right about things most of the time. because of this I have strong Te and a strong 8 wing (you should have seen me as a child. I would cry when someone stepped on a butterfly and most of the time I just wanted to snuggle with my teddy bear and pretend I was protecting him)

I beseech thee! Be careful, cognition =/= emotion (although they do interact sometimes!)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I beseech thee! Be careful, cognition =/= emotion (although they do interact sometimes!)

I was basically born with Fi though, having deeply held convictions by age 5 that rivaled any adult I knew. as much as I love Ni, I just don't have it. my Ne is unstoppable (Ne + Te = unstoppable beast), but my INTJ friend can grasp all these deep, theoretical paradigms and understand the underlying essence of anything he chooses. he is always surprised at how little I understand about what he's talking about. a few key differences are
- I learn by metaphors, analogies, comparisons and such, he doesn't get them at all
- I learn a lot with compare/contrast. he views everything as a bizarre cosmic whole and only sees truth vs non-truth
- I get connections one at a time. he has what we refer to as a "brain orgasm" where he gets 1000s of concepts all at once after hours and hours of studying
- I generally need to talk about things and have trouble learning by myself. he can teach himself anything if he has enough information and can break down that information to it's most basic level and reconstruct it in a actionable format
- that being said, he has literally no common sense on anything outside of what he's studied. he had to fix a pipe when he was 16 and literally had to go research the architecture of the plumming system, what all the parts were, how the entire system worked and why before he could do it, and all he had to do was screw in one pipe. the guy is like a savant

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I was basically born with Fi though, having deeply held convictions by age 5 that rivaled any adult I knew. as much as I love Ni, I just don't have it. my Ne is unstoppable (Ne + Te = unstoppable beast), but my INTJ friend can grasp all these deep, theoretical paradigms and understand the underlying essence of anything he chooses. he is always surprised at how little I understand about what he's talking about. a few key differences are
- I learn by metaphors, analogies, comparisons and such, he doesn't get them at all
- I learn a lot with compare/contrast. he views everything as a bizarre cosmic whole and only sees truth vs non-truth
- I get connections one at a time. he has what we refer to as a "brain orgasm" where he gets 1000s of concepts all at once after hours and hours of studying
- I generally need to talk about things and have trouble learning by myself. he can teach himself anything if he has enough information and can break down that information to it's most basic level and reconstruct it in a actionable format
- that being said, he has literally no common sense on anything outside of what he's studied. he had to fix a pipe when he was 16 and literally had to go research the architecture of the plumming system, what all the parts were, how the entire system worked and why before he could do it, and all he had to do was screw in one pipe. the guy is like a savant

That is reasonably accurate.

Just watch out, Ni-Se tends to see things in terms of how it acts rather than categorisation; although you seem to have noted the difference in mindset this generates already. If something moves, it pushes on something and on how many dimensions? But that's just the way we are and how we interpolate our internal perceptions of ourselves and the environment.

Either way, you seem quite the ENFP and less of an INFP, INFPs are much more clear cut in terms of want/notwant/like/dislike. ENFPs have more creativity about it, the difference between using an Fi filter on an Ne conscious versus a Ne filter for an Fi conscious.

I just think you've had a lot of thinking social influences in your life; it's fascinating to compare my mum between me and my bro (both being INTJs) influencing her from when we were kids to now. We can raise topics and in a way which would usually cause an SFJ to balk in discuss, but she understands *more* than she did before because of the removed social connotations.

That is the kind of ease I get from your posts.

Wikisocion - ENFP

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is reasonably accurate.

Just watch out, Ni-Se tends to see things in terms of how it acts rather than categorisation; although you seem to have noted the difference in mindset this generates already. If something moves, it pushes on something and on how many dimensions? But that's just the way we are and how we interpolate our internal perceptions of ourselves and the environment.

Either way, you seem quite the ENFP and less of an INFP, INFPs are much more clear cut in terms of want/notwant/like/dislike. ENFPs have more creativity about it, the difference between using an Fi filter on an Ne conscious versus a Ne filter for an Fi conscious.

I just think you've had a lot of thinking social influences in your life; it's fascinating to compare my mum between me and my bro (both being INTJs) influencing her from when we were kids to now. We can raise topics and in a way which would usually cause an SFJ to balk in discuss, but she understands *more* than she did before because of the removed social connotations.

That is the kind of ease I get from your posts.

Wikisocion - ENFP

actually, I'm picky as hell about what I want and extremely clear

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
actually, I'm picky as hell about what I want and extremely clear

Cyborg enforcer says: That's always what Fi thinks [8']|< *pew pew* We'll see!

Constant, unflinching motivation has not been detected to date! I'll be watching however.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cyborg enforcer says: That's always what Fi thinks [8']|< *pew pew* We'll see!

Constant, unflinching motivation has not been detected to date! I'll be watching however.

it's more my will that's constant than my motivation. for instance, it's my will that i will start a business. sometimes my motivation wanes, but the will is always there. I may give up a few battles, but I never give up the war. if you were to see my personality in real life, you'd find I can be very fiery and determined
PS: there's more about this on my blog :D

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
it's more my will that's constant than my motivation. for instance, it's my will that i will start a business. sometimes my motivation wanes, but the will is always there. I may give up a few battles, but I never give up the war. if you were to see my personality in real life, you'd find I can be very fiery and determined
PS: there's more about this on my blog :D

That's more an issue of being surrounded by demanding NTJs all the time as you protest. We make people like that, it kind of bleeds out of us into the environment. I would certainly say it's not a function of Fi cognition; although a strong self-believing, self-supporting and sustaining Fi cognitive set can play a major part in that type of personality.

I will have a look in your blog.

Although Fi always has a very wrath of god feeling about it when it is riled.

Image.ashx

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's more an issue of being surrounded by demanding NTJs all the time as you protest. We make people like that, it kind of bleeds out of us into the environment. I would certainly say it's not a function of Fi cognition; although a strong self-believing, self-supporting and sustaining Fi cognitive set can play a major part in that type of personality.

I will have a look in your blog.

I think it's the combination of Fi and Te. Te gives strength, definitiveness, grit and confidence to the passionate convictions of Fi. lelouch vi britannia from code geass is a good example of an INTJ who shares this kind of fiery personality (he's INTJ, but he has the Fi of an INFP)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I think it's the combination of Fi and Te. Te gives strength, definitiveness, grit and confidence to the passionate convictions of Fi. lelouch vi britannia from code geass is a good example of an INTJ who shares this kind of fiery personality (he's INTJ, but he has the Fi of an INFP)

Yes, lots of NFPs get both excited and terrified of my Fi. You are right to note how it performs when Te and Fi sit in a precarious balance however without a particularly strong preference. It can be very intimidating to people when you move the immovable object INTJ-Fi right up to them and say 'This is me, I'm not budging, live with it' in a perfectly calm tone. It's interesting when ENFPs realise they can access that aspect of themselves; flip out of the unstoppable force into the immovable object; its a good way to clean the sanity and sanctity of the mind and the ego.

I have never seen an ENTP repeat this feat.