• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would suggest the bold is incorrect. The ENTPs I know cling and self define using Ti as much as we do Fi. They hold those decisions/ideas just as tightly as we do our Fi values.

you know what, i was thinking about this yesterday while playing N64, of all things, and came to that same conclusion of totally agreeing with you and disagreeing with myself :D:doh:

Ti does seem very personal, and it was actually pretty shortsighted of me to dismiss it as less personal than Fi... sorry Ti dom/aux! and i think that comes from it simply being easier for me to understand others' Ti than others' Fi. not that i really get why that is? maybe because it doesn't typically contradict my own Fi in what i consider the really important issues, unlike some others' Fi.

TOTALLY. For a long time I thought I was a totally fucked up enfp...I couldnt list a set of values....I thought in terms of principles instead of "values". Your thought above is totally my clone.
lol, you know what, it's the major reason i questioned INFP to be my type, even though i tested that way throughout high school. i was like... strong values... uh... um... well... fuck. i have been an on-again, off-again vegetarian since i was 13. it all sings of ENFP. :laugh:

Note as an Fi user I perceive Fe to be controlling...almost a visceral insult against my core rather than a simple social rebuke, that a typical Fe suggestion is meant to be. I misunderstand the Fe and overreact.

In the same way a Ti user seems to take our bluntly wielded Te as an insult, seemingly implying their Ti-their core-has no value, rather than understanding our Te is a simple blunt assertion where we seek back and forth correction. I think the entps can misunderstand our Te and overreact in a symmetrical way
and then we all spiral down the toilet of insanity ....almost like it amplifies with each round, getting more and more insane.... (etc)

wow, i never really noticed that correlation. ENFP puts out Te read by ENTP Ti and reacted to via ENTP putting out Fe which is read by ENFP Fi and reacted to via ENFP Te....

also? that is a simultaneously terrifying and entertaining metaphor...

Having said that I love my entp best friend and we went to lunch and talked about power struggles, sex and ejaculation related to biological reporduction and womens' lib, why Te sucks,why Fe sucks, why Fi users are a bunch of whiny cry babies, why Ti users are evil and mean and how sexy intp men seem to be to entp chicks and why and how enfps like to touch everyone because we think you love us if you sleep with us, right????? :) All this ^^ in half an hour....hehehe, I love her to death...we fight and argue about MBTI more than anything else....but its great fun!

despite the toilet of insanity trap (and you sound like you're pretty familiar with it, haha... which i can see as bad, but also good for understanding oneself), i always feel like good discussions with ENTPs make me feel very smart and confident. like an ENTP! lol. but seriously, that is some excellent conversation to be had. your best friend and you sound like you have a lot of fun :)

mrcockburn said:
skylights said:
i know you ENTPs can be fuzzballs mothballs on the inside.
Fixed.

accurate enough. still fuzzy but smells kinda funny to Fi and lingers past its welcome :devil: ;)

kidding kidding i love ENTPs please don't kill me in my sleep

on a more harmonious note, i wish i could remember who posted this, but i've read something along the lines of "EN_P is always the last one standing / to leave the party / to go to sleep..." i think it's got tons to do with Ne - not wanting to miss out on possibilities - and it's so true for me that it's really funny... (note my post time) seems to be an EN_P convergence point :yes:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
To clarify...

I am definitely an ENFP, but Z and I had a discussion last night, many discussions in the past as well.

I think that Fi and Ti are quite similar, with different focuses, I happen to score very high on Ti and uber low on Te, but I am mos def an ENFP.

But, sometimes under duress I can go into a T/Fi mode of thought.

I would never call myself an ENTP, nor would Z, but theoretically, it would make sense that seeing how I have high usage of both Fi and Ti one could accuse or assume me to be a Ti user.

But, if you know me well, or even not so well, I'm Fi all the way baby.

:smooch:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
ENTP = beneath that seemingly happy and fun exterior is a deadly and cold logical mind

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It isn't accurate to describe an ENTP or ENFP by their tertiary functions. Rather than fixed parts of their personality, which the dominant and auxiliary (13+) would suggest, the tertiary function serves as something TO BE developed in order to create a more balanced personality. Plenty of younger ENTPs do not have or use Fe, which is why they come across as immature and tactless.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It isn't accurate to describe an ENTP or ENFP by their tertiary functions. Rather than fixed parts of their personality, which the dominant and auxiliary (13+) would suggest, the tertiary function serves as something TO BE developed in order to create a more balanced personality. Plenty of younger ENTPs do not have or use Fe, which is why they come across as immature and tactless.

MBTi isn't "accurate", period. But forgetting that for the second... In this case we are discussing two types that have extroverted tertiary functions and the same extroverted dominant function. Remembering that introverted functions tend to be less pronounced in the outer world, the tertiary once developed might be easier to detect a difference in because it looks to have an external effect (even if it is less often). I agree it won't help as much with typing younger people, but I don't see a problem with drawing on it to type those who do have developed tertiaries. In them the tertiary can show up as a clear personality difference. Maybe blanket rules are the problem. If discussing types in terms of their tertiary, the exception for younger people should definitely be mentioned.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Here's the ugly:

ENTPs have a baseline disinterest/unattachment to things, particularly other people. When they say "I don't give a fug", they mean it. Because or in spite of tert Fe, they have a propensity for pointless and often cruel social experiment. Other people may interest them, but only insofar as they can be manipulated and observed for amusement and/or ego gratification. Look at the ants dance! Dance ants, dance! Oh, and when their gf dumps the ENTP for 'experimenting' with the gf's cousin and best friend in the back of the (now ex) gf's car? The typical ENTP response will be either "What's that bitch's problem? What a pyscho!!!" OR "Wow, what a cool experiment. Next girlfriend, I'll hit on her mom and see what happens! That should be even more fun! :holy:"

--

ENFPs use tert Te like a cannon that unexpectedly smashes your birthday cake right when you are blowing out the candles and all because you said their guacamole dip could use more salt. You heartless, bastard! I spent 17 minutes of my life making this! Basically, in spite or because of all the people conscious warm fuzzies, an ENFP does care - about being right. Behind the bright smiling face of the ENFP is a cold, calculating lawyer (who got their degree from an online college...based in the Carribbean...taught by a TA), and boy, is he pissed. ENFPs would be more popular if they weren't alway yapping about such and such being a violation of so and so and - WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LOVE ME?!?!?!

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP/ENFP is not so much about soft versus hard or emotional versus rational. What matters is simply values for the most part. Anything that we consider is going to be possibly 90% due to Ne dominance, just about all examples given can be explained in such a manner. If I recall correctly, The secondary function of the ENXPs is an introverted one, ie. it's not expressed so much and resides mostly in your mind. It's pretty hard to examine personal values until they surface.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's the ugly:
Other people may interest them, but only insofar as they can be manipulated and observed for amusement and/or ego gratification.
Other people are even more interesting, if they will amuse and entertain you without even being manipulated! Now, that kind of person I would call a real friend. :cheese:

7thsomebody

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
very astute! but is the ENFP so weak and such a follower as is depicted in the beginning of the dance... I might have expected a more electric dance for the opening part. the rest does seem rather enfp female entp male though, granted.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I was thinking it to be that the enfp is weak, but merely the entp's perception of the enfp's emotions to be weak. I was looking more at the NeFi VS NeTi

seems like the entp is always trying to fix an enfp, because they don't seem to 'get' the emotion. This is just one aspect, it doesn't cover the whole scope.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
very astute! but is the ENFP so weak and such a follower as is depicted in the beginning of the dance...

lol i thought the exact same thing. a companion is wonderful, but if there's fixing of me to be done, i wanna do it myself!

regardless, loved the dance. :yes:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was thinking it to be that the enfp is weak, but merely the entp's perception of the enfp's emotions to be weak. I was looking more at the NeFi VS NeTi

seems like the entp is always trying to fix an enfp, because they don't seem to 'get' the emotion. This is just one aspect, it doesn't cover the whole scope.

Hmm, can see that, how astute.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I have just been with my entp for 17 1/2yrs now.

and i see I flawed my response it should have been "I wasn't thinking the enfp weak......"

he is always trying to 'fix' me, I can see that I frustrate him to no end. With us both being NP's we have our own little issues, but he's always trying to force me to be more organized almost like he uses the NeTi to trick me..... cleverly cunning at times.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I find this difference most keenly when I was doing college math.

Most of my friends in my math classes -- (I was a math minor, and after a while had to give it up for my other interests!) -- were ENTPs and I struggled to keep up with their very orderly way of thinking.

Now I realize that I probably as smart as they were but I tended to get nervous while I was solving problems and detested the idea of precision. So my concepts were always sound, but I would make dumb mistakes in simple arithmetic or forgetting to solve a certain part of a problem.

I kept up only because I realized that I needed to develop skillfulness. I did much, much better in classes that revolved around mathematical logic than, say, geometry. I have no spatial awareness whatsosever. Since I had to rely on the pure mathematics without being able to take visual shortcuts, I was a strong disadvantage.

My ENTP friends, not shockingly, thought I was nuts. :p

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Other people are even more interesting, if they will amuse and entertain you without even being manipulated! Now, that kind of person I would call a real friend. :cheese:

Spoken like a truly cunning and evil ENTP!

:laugh:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
ENTPs are the evil twin brother?