• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Why are feelings for INFPs so strong on this forum?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean it seems like people either think we're the greatest things on earth or they hate us and want us dead. Why is that? there's no INFPs are just ok.

Queue people being like I don't have strong feelings towards INFPs either way.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You can add me to that list. I don't particularly love or hate INFPs more than any other type.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Most of the original members here were either INTPs or INFPs, because the population of the sister-site was comprised of mostly those types. INFPs were outcasts at INTPc, where the feeling label was used to humiliate and shame them, and that polarisation of feelings for INFPs carried over here.

I don't think the feelings are nearly as strong as they were a few years ago, but that is why I think there *are* more threads and stronger feelings in general about them.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Really? The way I see it, the INFPs here get brushed aside too often into the "meh" category by the forumers, while everyone loves and drools over the mysterious female INFJs.

Just look at all the threads asking about INFJs, compared to the ones asking about INFPs.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Really? The way I see it, the INFPs here get brushed aside too often into the "meh" category by the forumers, while everyone loves and drools over the mysterious female INFJs.

Just look at all the threads asking about INFJs, compared to the ones asking about INFPs.

Yeah, that's what I've noticed, though there aren't quite as many INFJ fascination threads as there were at one point.

I guess I'm neutral on INFPs. I like individuals, but I don't think I'm captivated by any one type.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn

+1

I like'em, though the male ones often end up thoroughly confusing me.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Good: We are generally good listeners. And fairly unoffensive as a general rule.

Bad: Because some people love to have someone to be an asshole to, especially if their target isn't apt to respond vehemently. It makes them feel better about their complete lack of empathy, or a soul.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The less people know about something, the stronger their stated opinion is of it.

V

violaine

I like INFPs on the whole, I can't imagine anyone actively disliking INFPs. :thinking:

I can see how some INFPs can be overlooked sometimes. (Not by me! I'm rather partial to all INs though).

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Automated assumptions of dominant Fi would make it difficult for others to believe they take an opposite stance to a debate without subjective beliefs. Maybe that works against their favour.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yeah I think its closer to this. There are lots of threads about INFPs but I don't think that corresponds to any particular interest in us nor do the heated debates reflect on any hate.

However, I do think people think more well of us here than IRL because people actually bother to vaguely pay attention to what we say. My experience IRL at least, is that 95% of people tend to regard me as either inoffensively nice yet dull, or with a cool indifference, often coloured with a tinge of annoyance at my mere presence having somehow interfered with their fun. As violaine said, active dislike of us is pretty rare. I find I don't really inspire any significant feelings in others - good or bad :shrug:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My impression as well.

I thought it had to do with the quantity of INFPs on forums like this - we're not really enough of a novelty 'round these parts to inspire strong opinions. Although the same is true of INFJs, but they still have some mysterious appeal.

Most of the extreme opinions of INFPs seem to be tongue-in-cheek references to the stereotypes, not actual INFPs. There are enough of us to make some noise if anyone takes those too far, also.

I will say that in person, I also seem to get mostly neutral opinions. At first, from a distance people may see me as aloof or even snobbish, but once people talk to me a bit, they tend to neither love nor hate me. I'm mostly just seen as quietly inoffensive. Oh...now I see Southern Kross pretty much said the same thing (why am I not surprised? :D ).

I admit, there were some moments when I was young when I felt invisible in life & it bugged me a little. I called myself a "last resort" friend: the one you call up when everyone else is busy, the last one to be thought of in social situations (or the one most likely to be forgotten), someone you take for granted as "always there" because I'm loyal & don't go through drama-fight cycles like some do, but I'm also not a favorite friend.

KDude

I haven't noticed either way. Maybe because I haven't been around the forum as long as some.

+1

I like'em, though the male ones often end up thoroughly confusing me.

Yeah, they confuse me too.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Hi OrangeAppled, how u doin?

I wasn't aware there were such strong polarized feelings on the boards towards INFP's, or that INFJ's get more of the mysterious label, I irrationally idealize the former just as much as the latter. :wacko:

Bad: Because some people love to have someone to be an asshole to, especially if their target isn't apt to respond vehemently. It makes them feel better about their complete lack of empathy, or a soul.

Funny how that works, cowards love to target people who they believe won't bite back or they hand out aggression in scenarios they think there won't be consequences and the non-cowards don't bother with aggression in the first place.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I admit, there were some moments when I was young when I felt invisible in life & it bugged me a little. I called myself a "last resort" friend: the one you call up when everyone else is busy, the last one to be thought of in social situations (or the one most likely to be forgotten), someone you take for granted as "always there" because I'm loyal & don't go through drama-fight cycles like some do, but I'm also not a favorite friend.

I've noticed this and can relate to it to a certain degree (as in I'm a little like that as well). Especially when you ask them (INFPs) a question about themselves you'll notice they're not used to being "seen" or considered... :(

Yeah, they confuse me too.

You confuse yourself?

KDude

You confuse yourself?

Sometimes. I have no idea what you were referring to exactly though. I might say that I don't always understand some of them (or ISFPs) myself. Probably for different reasons than what you meant. I'm not all that phobic or shy or exactly have it in mind to serve others, for example. Sometimes I might stand back and read things like that and find it admirable - but at the same time very unrealistic for myself. It's a pretty big accomplishment to be that good - one that when I pull it off, I feel like I'm at my very best and almost kind of have pat myself on the back for. I'm hardly like that all of the time.. so if I was confused about some INFPs, it's that. I'm more like the guy who gives in at the last second. I had other things I wanted to do that day..

This is all beside the point though.. Yes, I confuse myself sometimes. :cool:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Sometimes. I have no idea what you were referring to exactly though. I might say that I don't always understand some of them (or ISFPs) myself. Probably for different reasons than what you meant. I'm not all that phobic or shy or exactly have it in mind to serve others, for example. Sometimes I might stand back and read things like that and find it admirable - but at the same time very unrealistic for myself. It's a pretty big accomplishment to be that good - one that when I pull it off, I feel like I'm at my very best and almost kind of have pat myself on the back for. I'm hardly like that all of the time.. so if I was confused about some INFPs, it's that. I'm more like the guy who gives in at the last second. I had other things I wanted to do that day..

This is all beside the point though.. Yes, I confuse myself sometimes. :cool:

I meant ruhmantically.

Good on you for confusing yourself. :D Yeah, I don't think INFPs are as angelic as they might come across as. And I don't think they generally consider themselves that angelic either. But the empathy does seep through in pretty much everything they do.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed this and can relate to it to a certain degree (as in I'm a little like that as well). Especially when you ask them (INFPs) a question about themselves you'll notice they're not used to being "seen" or considered... :(

Yes, but then I realized that part of it was my own fault. I didn't (and still don't) take enough initiative with others, and I indulge my lone wolf side too much. When you give off the impression that you want to be left alone, then people leave you alone.

It doesn't bug me much now; I consider it a blessing to inspire no more than neutral opinions from most people. Far less trouble that way :).