• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Is Valentine's Day the Penultimate NF Holiday?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
NF's are supposed to be the penultimate romantics. But does that mean they celebrate Valentine's Day? Perhaps, but perhaps not.

I've always considered Valentine's Day to be romance amateur's night. In other words, I don't need a holiday to be romantic with my beloved. In fact, a big part of romance for me is doing the unexpected. Given this, Valentine's Day loses its appeal for me. I'd rather surprise my beloved when they least expect it.

So, fellow NFs, what did you do for Valentines? Am I just being curmudgeonly? Do you enjoy Valentine's Day? What would be your ideal Valentine's Day date?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, Valentine's Day is more of an SF holiday. I would say that the charitable and considerate ideal of Christmas... was much more NF. Not the commercialization, but the original idea.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
No, Valentine's Day is more of an SF holiday. I would say that the charitable and considerate ideal of Christmas... was much more NF. Not the commercialization, but the original idea.

pretty much agree^

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Pentultimate = typographical error. For what it's worth, both holidays make me shudder. Mostly because they involve my family and the possibility of some sort of family squabble. The whole warm fuzzy interpersonal involvements of both holidays used to really put me off. Now they just remind me that I'm an awkward single guy or something.

The idea of Christmas is based much more on giving and a charitable spirit, whereas Valentine's Day involves physical demonstrations of one's affection through gifts and such things, so I would have to agree with Esoteric Wench's assessment.

A lot of people here say I'm definitely an IxFP, and I don't exactly disagree. I doubt this is relevant to this discussion.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On an INFP board, the general consensus was that its barfy, at least when taken seriously or felt like an obligation to buy stuff. I like romance as in Romanticism and some of the philosophies it entails, but mushy, gushy, commercially driven holidays? No thanks.

So, fellow NFs, what did you do for Valentines?
I got up early, ran some errands, came home, answered some work emails, made lunch, took a nap with my cat, did some yoga, watched a cooking TV show, took photos of my place to post here, posted & browsed here (& there & everywhere), read a little, watched "A Single Man", ate dinner....and now I'm posting again.

Am I just being curmudgeonly?
Anti-romance is the new Romance.
(I have no idea what that means...kind of sounds good)

Do you enjoy Valentine's Day?
I like the day after better...when the candy goes on sale.

What would be your ideal Valentine's Day date?
Well, I had a good date Sat night with my INFJ....we went to the Getty Center (for freeeee after 5pm), stared at some art, & then had a very nice dinner at a restaurant that was playing Gone With the Wind on a wall (I love that movie! I am a cheesy Romantic after all...). Anything sort of non-fussy & involving my interests works for me, basically.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh: "barfy"!

i find valentine's a relatively neutral holiday, my favorite aspect is definitely just candy hearts. preferably me and whoever i end up with will create our own tradition, something silly-fun like getting chinese and watching 80s cartoons or going to the worst movie we can find and spend the whole time getting drunk and eating candy, etc.

i don't know if that has much to do with type though. most of my friends seem to feel the same way, kind of ambivalent/apathetic towards it. my parents (ESFJ/INTP) don't care about it either, they buy funny gifts and large amounts of chocolate. my mom is SF, but she follows the holiday much more in a Fe way than in any other. she just makes sure the people she cares about knows she cares about them, through cute little notes. she doesn't seem to have any particular attachment to the holiday beyond that.

i would appreciate some traditionally romantic gestures if they were done in a very classy way, though. big bouquet of red roses, dinner at a really nice restaurant, champagne, i'm down with that.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
pentultimate = typographical error
penultimate = usage error

Unless you actually mean that Valentine's Day is the next-to-the-top NF holiday. If so, what's the top one?

Assuming you actually mean ultimate- I agree with those who consider it an SF holiday. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

KDude

Penultimate?

I'm already a Bunny apparently. Don't make me a romantic one now. :coffee:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

I would agree with this.