• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to spot an ENFP a mile off

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
The crocodile. I have a theory on this. If you look at crocs who have not evolved much in 150 million years, their eggs are leathery. My theory is that a some point these lizards where giving birth to their young in a kind of membrane, which over time evloved into a leathery egg. The leathery eggs then evolved into egg shell which are basically made of calcium.

OK...so wheres the chicken in all this? :thinking:

PS: I dont believe in the evolution theory. :) Its the biggest deception of the millennium.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
:shocking:

no, say ain't so, say it ain't so!!!

*despair*

I don't believe in god. Biggest delusion of all time.

I don't believe in evolution theory either. It's not a religion. I don't worship Darwin. Given the overwhelming evidence in the fosile record I just happen to ascribe to that theory. Give me some more overwhelming evidence to contrary or prove an alternative theroy, and I will change my opinion.

I also know a lot about how people think and perceive, and how people are influenced by other people, especially in large groups. It's not hard to see how a power idea like god and religion has caught on a stuck with us all this time.

I'm not saying there is no god. I cannot prove that. I am saying until he knocks on my door and hand me a business card in person I am not going to worry about it.

That is rational thinking to its core.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe in the theory of evolution.

I do not believe in "God"

You obviously missed my Atheisia thread.

And sure ascribe, believe, semantics, I got you...

and I agree with everything you posted.

Oh, and ENFPs can and often *are* rational thinkers

*sheesh*

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I believe in the theory of evolution.

I do not believe in "God"

You obviously missed my Atheisia thread.

And sure ascribe, believe, semantics, I got you...

and I agree with everything you posted.

Oh, and ENFPs can and often *are* rational thinkers

*sheesh*

I was referring to butterfly's post.

But I see now that I responded to your post, sorry! I was a little distracted by that new picture of yours.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't believe in god. Biggest delusion of all time.

I don't believe in evolution theory either. It's not a religion. I don't worship Darwin. Given the overwhelming evidence in the fosile record I just happen to ascribe to that theory. Give me some more overwhelming evidence to contrary or prove an alternative theroy, and I will change my opinion.

I also know a lot about how people think and perceive, and how people are influenced by other people, especially in large groups. It's not hard to see how a power idea like god and religion has caught on a stuck with us all this time.

I'm not saying there is no god. I cannot prove that. I am saying until he knocks on my door and hand me a business card in person I am not going to worry about it.

That is rational thinking to its core.

OK so evolutionary theory is out. As for God, I KNOW HE exists. You existing is a proof that He exists.
:)

Mikesen

Does anyone else play though theoretical conversations and/or make up speeches in their heads to pass the time? I catch myself doing it all the time.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ That's a good exercise for a writer (seguing from your intro post) particularly for dialogue. That and eavesdropping conversations.

I used to daydream excessively to the point I would start talkng out loud, like talking in my sleep, except I'm not sleeping just being a total head in the clouds goof. :doh: It was so embarassing I forced myself to stop.

I still occasionally daydream scenarios, conversations, interactions and yes speeches but now I try to spin them into screenplays. Or at least that's what I tell myself. And I've cut down a lot over the years.

I was made in Taiwan. I have the sticker to prove it.

Inner, are you joking or serious? I know some diasporic peeps whose parents are from one place, they were born in another, and finally raised and call home a third country. Particularly east asians born in South America speaking Spanish and get transplanted to their final 'resting place' of North America.

One of my acquaintances, also in DC is ethnically Chinese and had an accent when he spoke English and it was only later I realized it was a SPANISH accent. It's his first language.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
^^ That's a good exercise for a writer (seguing from your intro post) particularly for dialogue. That and eavesdropping conversations.

I used to daydream excessively to the point I would start talkng out loud, like talking in my sleep, except I'm not sleeping just being a total head in the clouds goof. :doh: It was so embarassing I forced myself to stop.

I still occasionally daydream scenarios, conversations, interactions and yes speeches but now I try to spin them into screenplays. Or at least that's what I tell myself. And I've cut down a lot over the years.

Inner, are you joking or serious? I know some diasporic peeps whose parents are from one place, they were born in another, and finally raised and call home a third country. Particularly east asians born in South America speaking Spanish and get transplanted to their final 'resting place' of North America.

One of my acquaintances, also in DC is ethnically Chinese and had an accent when he spoke English and it was only later I realized it was a SPANISH accent. It's his first language.

Nope. I was joking. I was made in England, my parents were made in Kenya, but I am all Indian.

Mikesen

I've actually been doing it since before I can remember. Gradually I started having more interesting an deep conversations with friends in my head, along with a more advanced vocabulary, but I've never let up.

The speeches I do since I started paying attention to politics though. I never understood why I was such a sucker for great speakers until I read Keirsey. He suggests NF's are preoccupied with morale.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I was seeing this INTP and I rejected him too. I dont know what ur reasons were, but for me, they were;

- He was really rude, obnoxious and insulting with some of his statements.
- He assumed too much
- He didnt give me chance to REALLY TALK, eg he would cut me off constantly. He just DIDNT LISTEN to me.
- Pressured me to taking relationship further even though we were in our initial stages.
- This one is mother of all deal breaks with me: HE MOCKED me!!
Im a pretty kool person, I dont take offence quickly, But this guy mocked my beliefs, my view points and many things that were dear to my heart. In the end I closed myself (my true self- a large part of myself) off to him. ANd just nodded at what he said.
- He had this air of correcting me for whatever I believed in, basically making me look stupid. As if not trusting parts of me. Doubting and questioning things I hold dear.

*Deep breathe. ...I feel fine now thanks. :)

So that was my experience with the INTP. Though I loved him and cared for him, the constant bashing up my soul was too much for me to bear. So in the end...sayonaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sounds INTJ to me. If he is an INTP, then there is really a lot of intratypological variety.

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ
ENFPs:

1) Focused on POTENTIAL/POSSIBILITIES not reality (in people, things, situations, ANYTHING)
2) Have a "silly switch" that can be activated in which u appear almost manic but to the great delight and entertainment of others
3) Have an intensity that can be understated OR very apparent
4) Are in the moment: we hate feeling like we *HAVE* to do something. So, in the moment we may commit to something because in the present state, it sounds desireable. When the actual event rolls around we may flake or no-show depending on our CURRENT state.
5) Are playful/some may say flirtatious/make you feel like you are fascinating and the only one in the room/able to create enagaging and warm rappport with ANYONE. Inevitably this warmth and engagement is then MISCONSTRUED by the recipient (who does not realize that we treat EVERYONE this way) and suddenly we are bastards and have mislead them somehow in their eyes/minds. ;)
6) Enjoy banter, verbal sparring, intellectually stimulating conversations
7) Act as catalysts to ideas and visions, would prefer someone else to handle the details and follow through
8) Have a zest for life, optimism, and high resilliency when the chips are down... we can bounce back relatively quickly
9) Have a private side (introverted feeling) and need for SOME FORM of downtime
10) Have a knack for seeing the best in everyone and letting them know it
11) Can be charming and magnetic to the point where you start neurotically questioning "do they like me or are they this way with everyone???!!"
12) Have a very intellectual/philosophical side combined with quirky humor side
13) The amount of attention we pay you or how special we make you feel ironically does NOT indicate our level of actual liking towards you
14) Pronounced sense of curiosity towards EVERYONE/everything
15) Can be elusive, slippery, complex, or "hard to pin down"
16) Need a good amount of personal autonomy/freedom

Chloe

She is most definitely an adolescent, and a happy-go-lucky one at that, but, I dunno, she checks out to me. I'd imagine that an ENFP who has never really been subjected to a harsher side of reality might come across as she has.

I was like her until 18-19 (when I faced harsh reality because my father died), so I can relate to her, but she is a bit annoying when you watch :D :huh: I also when watching my video tapes cant believe how crazy I am. I don't remember most of that situations like they really were.

Now this girl is great and lovely example of ENFP.
Her laugh is simply ENFP lol

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
The ENFP probably likes the soulmate aspect of the INTJ and the opposite intuitively based (systems) perspective of the world. I guess together they get to explore more intellectually of the world and enjoy the differences of extroversion/introversion and so forth. Sort of a natural complement. They aren't treading in each others space.

Yes. This sounds right to me. :)

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the points you guys are purporting are pretty spot on. The only problem is it seems our personality depends greatly on our external environment. For instance:

Since I graduated high school all of my friends have moved away to college. I have had a relatively small group of friends that I can get close to and because of it I've gone very introverted. I've been serious at every moment of the day.

Before they left I was as bubbly as you guys were describing. I did have my serious moments, and they may have been more common than my bubbly moments, especially when the topics of injustice and politics came up. My point here is this: I don't think a person's "bubblieness" is really going to help you spot an ENFP. Your best bets are hand gestures and their speech. The analogous speech is a dead giveaway. We literally do think in terms of comparisons and metaphors. But more specifically to identify the p in someone you have to look for the way they command things. If they come right out and tell you what you should do, they're J. If they suggest "we do something" then they're p. It's pretty helpful. Read The Pygmalion Project for the Idealist by Montgomery.

Yup. Absolutely. To all of the above.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Almost everything in this thread could be used to spot me as well, and I'm not an NF.

I think most of these suggestions are more: how to spot someone with dominant Ne than an ENFP specifically.

I think the surest way to tell someone is actually an ENFP is to see how they react to a conflict.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Does anyone else play though theoretical conversations and/or make up speeches in their heads to pass the time? I catch myself doing it all the time.

That jumped out at me. All the time!!! (Sometimes I have the conversations out loud with myself, but that's a whole 'nother thread methinks...)

In reference to this particular thread, I only know one person who is a confirmed ENFP, she actually started a group for dominant intuitives in my area.

She's on the flaky side but she's really intelligent, extremely animated (she does the arm waving stuff!), she's got a seemingly endless pool of empathy, and she's just generally a very warm and engaging person. She definitely jumps from subject to subject so fast my head spins, but it's actually pretty awesome.

I have to say she has a gift for listening to people, and really LISTENING. I obviously can't get inside her head, but as far as I can see she listens to certain people far longer than I can. There was a guy at one of our meets who was an INFJ like me, and he went into this really long play-by-play about how he processes forms at his job. I retreated inside my own head a quarter of the way into it, imagining visuals of the things he was describing thinking I would kill myself if I had to do that everyday. Once he was finished, the ENFP girl repeated details back to him and had nothing but the sweetest things to say about it. The way she hit it back to him made it sound like he had the most amazing job in the world. I started wondering if this guy DID have the most amazing job in the world with how animated she was.

That's some magic shit right there!