• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to spot an ENFP a mile off

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
LOL...nice technique!! Wonder what technique I should use to try spotting INTPs...mmmmmmm :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

You could always dress up like Seven of Nine :wubbie:

:worthy: Seven of Nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jeri_1.jpg

or Sub commander T'Pol as a very acceptable alternative:

240x320.jpg

Possibly Commander Data for female INTPs, but I really would have no idea:

250px-DataTNG.jpg

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOL,
Nice pics mate!! I will keep my eye open for a Dr Commander Data and someone with bread crumbs on his calculator :p hehe

That P's explanation made a lot of sense, now I get it!! Finally! Thanks :D

Also: Whats funny is I seen an INTP get all excited and lost when I asked them such intellectual questions....It was lovely to watch them while they figured it out! :wubbie: THough i didnt get a word of what they were trying to say...but visually it was like "ohhhh so cute". :D

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
LOL,
Nice pics mate!! I will keep my eye open for a Dr Commander Data and someone with bread crumbs on his calculator :p hehe

That P's explanation made a lot of sense, now I get it!! Finally! Thanks :D

Also: Whats funny is I seen an INTP get all excited and lost when I asked them such intellectual questions....It was lovely to watch them while they figured it out! :wubbie: THough i didnt get a word of what they were trying to say...but visually it was like "ohhhh so cute". :D

Thanks. We like it when people understand our thinking. :banana:

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
A mile off? That's too far, I'll take it more loosely, as "from a distance":

--Talkative and playful with dramatic, frequent facial expressions

--Fidgety, scattered, losing things

--Something unusual in our appearance, but may be subtle, we (girls especially) usually don't dress in the no-nonsense, practical, functional way of SJs & NTs

--Creative & artsy & multifaceted--this leaks out in our diversity of interests, in our choice of friends, in ways we spend our time

--Direct attention to the person we're talking to, we can come off intense if in our interrogator-journalist mode (it's a compliment if we're mining you for information, you've intrigued us in some way)

--Breezy, cheerful demeanor--if we're down or sick, you usually won't see it unless you're a trusted friend or family member

Up close:

--Meandering tangential conversation chock-full of crazy analogies

--A genuine connection, we adapt to the person we're talking to

--If we show vulnerability in sharing our negative emotions or in an interpersonal failure, know that you are in the inner circle of friends--most people just see the sunny, optimistic, irreverent side

With NTs:

--I'm more likely to share my possibly controversial views because I know they are not easily offended & they are not threatened by arguing (unless the topic is emotional!)

--I poke fun at them, I mine for information for sure if I see unique qualities I like in them

Regarding poor judgment in relationships:

Can happen because ENFPs naturally see potentials in people, if we see unique qualities we like, & we're able to connect with the person, we may overlook negative features--much depends on the value system of the ENFP--also it gets particularly dangerous if the person appears to get us, we can get along with all sorts of people, but it's the rare person that truly understands us & doesn't judge us.

totally agree!

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
totally agree!

You list yourself as ENXP, but identifying with chatoyer's profile of the ENFP would put you squarely in the ENFP category. I score on the border between INTJ/INTP, but I behave much more like an INTP, making me an INTP with of the characteristics of an INTJ.

As I learned from this very same post of chatoyer's actually, ENFPs (NF Idealists) can reason in ways very simialr to NT rationals. This should not have come as too much of a shock given that we are both intuitives and all it would take is an ENFP with some of the charateristics of a thinker. But I have to admit, it did surprise me.:huh: I was rather impressed.:D

Expressed formally in smilegebra:

:banana:+ :reading: =~ :glasses:

Given:

:banana: is an element of the set of ENFPs.

:reading: is the characteristics of a Thinker

:glasses: is an element of the set of NT rational Thinkers.

Last edited:

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My brother always says I act like this ("retarded" and "embarassing" is what he says, and he is INTP) and I think I understand better what he means.

LOL this is exactly how 90% of my friends describe me as. XD

How would you spot me a mile off? I'm usually not aware of how I look in public, first of all. I tend to watch people a lot; I look people up and down multiple times, unaware for the most part that my eyes are travelling (people have taken offense to this). If I'm with one other person, I won't be talking much or emoting really. If I'm with a group of people, I'll be running back and forth in circles, singing or laughing my guts out about something, probably acting out some scenario and generally screwing around. And I'll be bumping into things and falling. Yes, this is when act "retarded and embarassing". Actually, I suppose I do at all times since I'm pretty clumsy with things. When I'm in public alone, I'll probably look stoned and will be smiling to myself. If you walked by me I'd probably give you a big smile. If you were alone as well, I might say hello to you, regardless of the situation.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My ENFP mom loves people, and no one is a stranger to her. She has a wonderful sense of humor and she is one of those people to whom applies the phrase "you can't keep a good man down." So resilient to bad things in her own life, she is able to rebound quickly and cheer other people up. Everything is an opportunity to learn something new, and she is curious about everything, and knows more than anybody I know...it's scary sometimes. She linguistically gifted and spontaneous and lots of fun to be around. One thing I notice about her is that she is very innocent in terms of she doesn't think that people would lie to her, so she doesn't always recognize when they do. It's a fundamental trusting at face value, which is the way she operates toward others.

I have a teacher this semester--Speech--who lights up the room when she walks in, is hilariously funny, puts us all at ease, and is perfectly comfortable with herself. She has taken the MBTI for real and told me she is an ENFP, so I have it on good authority.
I agree with this. I would consider no one a stranger, I see everything as a lesson, I'm spontaneous.. And there certainly was a time when I was innocent in regard to the intentions of others. That is not the case anymore.

--Talkative and playful with dramatic, frequent facial expressions
--Fidgety, scattered, losing things
--Something unusual in our appearance, but may be subtle, we (girls especially) usually don't dress in the no-nonsense, practical, functional way of SJs & NTs
--Creative & artsy & multifaceted--this leaks out in our diversity of interests, in our choice of friends, in ways we spend our time
--Direct attention to the person we're talking to, we can come off intense if in our interrogator-journalist mode (it's a compliment if we're mining you for information, you've intrigued us in some way)
--Breezy, cheerful demeanor--if we're down or sick, you usually won't see it unless you're a trusted friend or family member

Up close:
--Meandering tangential conversation chock-full of crazy analogies
--A genuine connection, we adapt to the person we're talking to
--If we show vulnerability in sharing our negative emotions or in an interpersonal failure, know that you are in the inner circle of friends--most people just see the sunny, optimistic, irreverent side

Regarding poor judgment in relationships:
Can happen because ENFPs naturally see potentials in people, if we see unique qualities we like, & we're able to connect with the person, we may overlook negative features--much depends on the value system of the ENFP--also it gets particularly dangerous if the person appears to get us, we can get along with all sorts of people, but it's the rare person that truly understands us & doesn't judge us.
I make very dramatic facial expressions. Others often comment on it. I have always had a very diverse group of friends. I always knew everyone, but not for the sake of merely being associated with them.. because I was genuinely interested. I can keep track of a lot of people at once. My friends always loved our alone time because I give 100% of my attention to them. It's natural. I'm just very intense. Analogies.. omg where do I start. I have an analogy for everything. It really helps convey my ideas to other people. I get uncomfortable being weak. That last bit about poor judgment is so true.. we believe in those we choose to invest in, and sometimes it is hard to accept that they aren't that great.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You realize I was quoting chatoyer.

And... yes, I am an NF.

Also I could write a dissertation on, not so much my poor judgment in relationships, but rather my seemingly persistent, albeit ironic, "I'm an ENFP, aren't I?" bad luck/inability to form meaningful romantic relationships.

Meh, men!

ya know uh, heh heh
*whispers*
I live in southern cali

Mikesen

My best friend in high school was an ENFP -- tested and everything. Actually, he was the one who got me started into all this MBTI nonsense.

Anyhow, I don't have much experience with ENFPs besides him, but here are some of the biggest characteristics I noticed with him. Maybe they're ENFP things, maybe not... so take it with a grain of salt.

- The stereotype of a bubbly, touchy-feely ADD type didn't totally fit him. In fact he'd often lapse into cold, logical analysis. His attitude towards logic, however, was vastly different from mine, and we've talked about this in great deal.

To him, logic reflects our finite understanding of human affairs, and certain gaps in it are subjective and had to be filled in. He steadfastly adhered to whatever his "inner logic" told him, but his understanding was always under revision, and his increasing understanding of humans were what filled those holes.

To me, logic is beyond any interpretation of it. So I typically dealt with people much more impersonally. I remember a conversation we had regarding a mutual friend who was having some relationship troubles:

Him: "Nemo, you can't just say that to her. You're probably right, but she'll never respond to it -- think of how she feels. People don't behave like circuits and switchboards."
Me: "Too f***ing bad. The truth doesn't care what she thinks of it."

So while he was capable of being and appearing to be super logical, I think the way he internalized it was fundamentally different from me.

(Now that I think of it, this may be an Fi vs Ti thing.)

- He was extremely adamant about adhering to whatever his personal "inner logic" (I called it "voodoo logic") told him was right. And if any of this was challenged in a mean-spirited sort of way -- look out. He would go mentally ape-shit and and release all kinds of intellectual kung-fu'ery on you for displaying such ignorance.

The sort of irony in our relationship was that between the two of us, he was definitely seen as the more aggressive and challenging if he was confronted or ganged up on. He would push back much harder than me. He had more of an emotional investment, I think. But at the same time, he had a much more sophisticated sense of empathy and was capable of coming to terms with the emotional environment he was in. So he bounced between wider cold--hot extremes, whereas I was more even-tempered.

- I said above that the touchy-feely, bubbly stereotype didn't fit him -- but in some ways, it did. He was definitely like that sometimes, especially when he was happy about something. It wasn't overwhelming though, in fact it was rather infectious.

- In general: funny, intelligent, engaging, very deep and complicated. I've never felt like I was being manipulated or used by him. He is very upfront, honest, and doesn't play games.

- Have you ever put two Ne dominants in the same room together? There's enough raw mental energy to power a small city. He's one of the few (only?) people I've met that can tolerate, and even be energized, by my constant steam of verbalized thoughts -- and vice versa. Whenever we were together the result was an explosive intellectual man orgy of sorts.

- Extremely creative. Very widely read -- definitely more than myself. In most ways that really matter, he's probably smarter than me.

- Interested in absolutely everything -- from poetry to quantum mechanics. Plus he's extremely enthusiastic and animated when he's exposed to new and interesting ideas.

- Random. One sure way of knowing you're talking to an Ne dominant is if the conversations all go like this:

Person A (Non-ENFP): "So, when do you think we can get together and work on that project?"
Person B (ENFP): "Well, whenever. I was thinking tonight, actually."
A: "Cool, I'll give you a call tonight and maybe we ca-"
B: "Oh, speaking of which, have you ever been to Nepal?"
A: "... wait, what?"

It was typically extremely hard for other people to follow his train of thought, so he would consciously control himself (or at least attempt to) when in the company of most others.

- One of the bigger problems he had was related to the voodoo logic that I was talking about above. Since it was so personalized, people who were being insensitive/ignorant often didn't know they were violating some unwritten rule for him, and they'd have no idea why he would get so worked up over certain things. His problem was that while it was extremely clear and made sense to him, it was so internalized that other people had to freaking clue what was going on and didn't understand what set him off. This escalated a good deal of the drama he'd get involved in.

- Extremely funny. I can't emphasize that enough.

That's all for now. I have to get going to class.

My god. My best friend growing up has been an ENFJ. Reading this post made me feel like you were that friend of mine talking about me.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ I haven't finished watching it, just started it, actually.

He seems terribly ill/sick.

When and how did he die?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:sad:

Not so random thought,

We are all going to die.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Died in '87, but I'm not sure when the video was made.

Hooray mortality.

Edit: From wikipedia

In 1987, Rogers suffered a fall that resulted in a fractured hip. He had a successful operation, but his heart failed the next night and he died a few days later.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
As an ENFP, I agree with what he is saying, but his affect is *much* duller than mine, and I'm assuming other ENFPs as well.

Hands down, people perceive me as an animated/vivacious person, I wouldn't necessarily classify Rogers as being that, lol.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not so random thought,

We are all going to die.

to see death and life for what they really are is to see their roles reversed

death, and the knowledge of inevitable death, is the ultimate release from all that life entails

embrace death and you will live!

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of psychotherapists are feelers. It's because you are good with empathy. I doubt very much the average INTP would make a good psychotherpist. What the hell is wrong with you? Stop crying! Grow up! Over grown baby.:steam:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
True, acknowledging one's mortality makes one see their life as a limited and rare source, one to be utilized to the maximum. ;)

Also, no matter how you roll the dice,

Dieee.jpg

hahahahahhaa

Mikesen

His hand motions give him away. According to Keirsey all NF's wave their arms as if their trying to flow their words. I do it everytime I speak. Anyone else?

As for E vs. I and P vs. J I don' think we could tell from the video. And I wouldn't put to much trust into Keirsey's website's analysis of people. He has Obama pegged as an NT... I've seen a few interviews and think he's an NF.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
His hand motions give him away. According to Keirsey all NF's wave their arms as if their trying to flow their words. I do it everytime I speak. Anyone else?

Yup...im guilty of arm waving! not only arm...but depending on intensity of the topic, I also have slight finger motions like playing a gentle piano; to hand movements that seem like the dance of a geisha; to the rough tsunami waves of the arm. lol
:)