• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to spot an ENFP a mile off

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I share my "controversial" views probably more than I should. I also believe that all discourse should ideally take form as an intellectual debate where the object is to become closer at grasping/understanding the "truth" underlying the subjective perceptions of it.

All truth is subjective, even the laws of math and physics. We just accept them as absolute truths because they hold up to our subjective scrutiny in the form of empirical evidence. We need some kind of baseline to build upon.

Regarding poor judgment in relationships:

Can happen because ENFPs naturally see potentials in people, if we see unique qualities we like, & we're able to connect with the person, we may overlook negative features--much depends on the value system of the ENFP--also it gets particularly dangerous if the person appears to get us, we can get along with all sorts of people, but it's the rare person that truly understands us & doesn't judge us.

Are you sure you're an NF? This sounds a lot like NT reasoning to me, not at all N(F)luffy.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You realize I was quoting chatoyer.

And... yes, I am an NF.

Also I could write a dissertation on, not so much my poor judgment in relationships, but rather my seemingly persistent, albeit ironic, "I'm an ENFP, aren't I?" bad luck/inability to form meaningful romantic relationships.

Meh, men!

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Can happen because ENFPs naturally see potentials in people, if we see unique qualities we like, & we're able to connect with the person, we may overlook negative features--much depends on the value system of the ENFP--also it gets particularly dangerous if the person appears to get us, we can get along with all sorts of people, but it's the rare person that truly understands us & doesn't judge us.

Should have quoted you in my previous post, sorry! And I call myself a software developer. Nice post though. I liked it a lot.

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
A mile off? That's too far, I'll take it more loosely, as "from a distance":

--Talkative and playful with dramatic, frequent facial expressions

--Fidgety, scattered, losing things

--Something unusual in our appearance, but may be subtle, we (girls especially) usually don't dress in the no-nonsense, practical, functional way of SJs & NTs

--Creative & artsy & multifaceted--this leaks out in our diversity of interests, in our choice of friends, in ways we spend our time

--Direct attention to the person we're talking to, we can come off intense if in our interrogator-journalist mode (it's a compliment if we're mining you for information, you've intrigued us in some way)

--Breezy, cheerful demeanor--if we're down or sick, you usually won't see it unless you're a trusted friend or family member

Up close:

--Meandering tangential conversation chock-full of crazy analogies

--A genuine connection, we adapt to the person we're talking to

--If we show vulnerability in sharing our negative emotions or in an interpersonal failure, know that you are in the inner circle of friends--most people just see the sunny, optimistic, irreverent side

Yes, wonderful. The only things quoted that don't fit me are "fidgety or scattered" (though I may have been when I was younger), and the interrogator thing (which I believe was discussed in another thread also). I tend to want to ask people all kinds of questions to get to know them better, but I seldom actually do that because I don't want to invade their privacy, as it were.

autumn

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
I felt like drawing a picture. I'm much better with pictures than words anyway. The picture shows how judgers (J) are most comfortable making decisions quickly, whereas perceivers (P) are most comfortable keeping options open. Perceivers may jump between possible solutions many times before arriving at a final decision. By now, however, the decsion may be too far removed from the reality of the problem leading to a faulty decision. Of course, perceivers don't make bad decisions all the time, just shows how we can. But it does make perceivers more flexible and generally more creative and fun.

"ENFPs sometimes make serious errors in judgment. They have an amazing ability to intuitively perceive the truth about a person or situation, but when they apply judgment to their perception, they may jump to the wrong conclusions. "

Source: Portrait of an ENFP :coffee:

Thanks for that.
But I disagree with it. If I understood it correctly...it meant that by the time we make a decision, its too late?? and we are regretting it?
I doubt thats the case with ONLY ENFPs....as many decision on retrospect seem like there was not full information available. Its the BOUNDED RATIONALITY theory....ie we only have limited information to make decisions....so there will ALWAYS be some sort of regret of various intensities.

I dont see it as an ENFP problem only.

As for the other youtube chic....yeah im not saying shes not ENFP, but rather shes not the healthy ENFP. Yes she seems to suffer from low self esteem.

:D

ciao

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure you're an NF? This sounds a lot like NT reasoning to me, not at all N(F)luffy.

I'm the brand of NF that wants reason & emotion/heart & head to come together on these decisions.... I can't be alone, I'm sure with that view among NFs.

(but I am married to a hardcore NT, which may influence me a bit)

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
:shock: You saying she's a mouse?? :huh:

No, it's just a coincidence that I find happens. I have a similar method of capturing ISTJs using nothing but a bit of wafer and a polo mint sitting on a radiator.

Reactions: GZA

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
No, it's just a coincidence that I find happens. I have a similar method of capturing ISTJs using nothing but a bit of wafer and a polo mint sitting on a radiator.

LOL...nice technique!! Wonder what technique I should use to try spotting INTPs...mmmmmmm :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
hahaha I love women. here have a :hug:.
For some reason I always assumed you to be the girl on the left, depicted in your avatar.

Apparently, I'm wrong.

Oh, and thanks for the (condescending) hug. ;)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
where have I been hiding so that I missed this thread???? WOW so great!

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
what I would like for you all to consider is the enfp fact or fiction thread. It also seems to portray the enfp and what you can and cannot detect. ;)

I think enfps are different depending on who they are with and how well they know the ppl. Also think that age comes into play a lot.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for that.
If I understood it correctly...it meant that by the time we make a decision, its too late?? and we are regretting it?

I doubt thats the case with ONLY ENFPs....

:nono: Not quite. What it means is that P's, not just ENFP's, but INTP's and all other P's for that matter, like to keep options open as long as possible and may switch between various options many times before settling on one.

Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate. No Vanilla, I had chocolate yesterday. I haven't had strawberry in ages. Ok, let's ask what the most popular flavor is? Chocolate!!! MMMM, can I get that with vanilla? no wait ...

Let's say you switch from apples to pumpkins to bananas. The problem is that the bananas might not make sense when viewed in light of the original problem which might have been to make a pie. Apple pie is great, pumpkin pie too, but banana pie? How did you get from pumpkin to banana? If you're an intuitive, which we both are, it could be that you were making a Halloween pumpkin head and cut out a piece that looked like a banana. For a sensor, it could just be that the bananas and pumpkins were next to each other in the supermarket.

Make sense?

I dont see it as an ENFP problem only.

Correcto!

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
LOL...nice technique!! Wonder what technique I should use to try spotting INTPs...mmmmmmm :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Ask an INTP something relatively complicated, like the amount of time it would take a photon to emerge from the gravitational influence of The Sun--about a couple of hundred thousand years--then watch as his or her eyes shoot off in different directions as they attempt to serialize a multi-dimensional answer into a string of words. When we do this we are trying to assemble the answer by fitting different pieces of puzzle together. In this respect I think we are a lot like ENFPs. What you do with people, we do with thoughts and ideas. In the same way you can get bored with people once you've figured them out, we can get bored with problems once we've figured them out.