• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ guy help

Frankie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
'I am assuming all of your fingers are broken as you didn't get back to me and all...but I would still like to go on a walk. Using a pencil gripped between your teeth...please press Y for yes or N for no.'
That sounds exactly like something I would say lol. I just found out I have to go to a meeting tonight that he'll probably be at, so hopefully I can get the guts to talk to him then, but if not, I'm totally sending this to him. I guess I won't give up on it yet :)

Starry

That sounds exactly like something I would say lol. I just found out I have to go to a meeting tonight that he'll probably be at, so hopefully I can get the guts to talk to him then, but if not, I'm totally sending this to him. I guess I won't give up on it yet :)

That's the spirit Frankie. I feel inspired by you.
I actually get super nervous around guys that I am interested in...but I try to frame it not in terms of what I might lose...but in terms of what there is to gain. Each day is a new day...and anything can happen! You are awesome.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
well, I find the only time I act similarly to the way you describe this guy, is when I really like some one, but am really unsure of my feelings for them, and im partially afraid of getting to attached to fast (or them getting to attached to fast) while im still unsure what I want... Im not exactly a typical INFJ male however... so take what I say with a grain of salt...

The ignoring of texts seem a bit strange though, but if he is notorious about this, does that to everyone, then I wouldn't take offense at it, he could just hate phones/texting, like I do, I still dont ignore texts (when I had a working phone) but my replies would normally be very short...Your best bet, is to just cut through all the games and let him know you are interested, but in a non-threatening mellow sort of way like "I am interested in the possibility of a romantic relationship with you, but im happy as just friends if thats what you want." kinda thing... it may be incredibly hard, but sometimes being straight forward like that, is a hell of a lot easier than beating around the bush for years (been there, done that:/)

With risk of going off-topic on this one, What in the world is a Typical Male Infj? o_O

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I dont really identify as a male, that was what I meant by that... genetically and genitally I am... but I wrote all about that in my thread on the sexuality forum, so im not gonna go into it all here..

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
i've had these exact same situations before. i'm working SO HARD right now trying to figure out how to break this cycle. i've had it happen three times in the last month.

basically, if i vent, if i communicate, if i'm fully myself, i kind of unconsciously talk. i'm an sx/sp. it just gushes forth. i trust, to some degree, or i believe it's worth it, or i'm interested in sharing myself. it's still sometimes more me-centered than the other person centered, but if i think i can share me, it's usually because i trust, respect, and am genuinely interested in the other person. but after this unconscious gushing, i recognize that my monitor completely turned off. i have no idea what this person thinks, and worse yet, i'm COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to the social record. i don't know if i violated any norms, any expectations, what kind of signals have been sent, etc. i get so self-conscious, i feel guilty, i blame myself, i'm embarrassed bc i can't take anything back, all the alarm bells are going off, and i get super SKITTISH. i'm not present at all, i'm overwhelmed by projections rather than drinking in experience and being in the moment. i don't know how to respond because i'm not in a responsive kind of flow, i've lost it, and ESPECIALLY in social situations when i feel like i've just lost control of my image, i have no idea what i've been projecting to others, and i don't know what the context of the current moment is bc i haven't been building a story of where you are, where i am, etc. i've just let down my guard and started blurting shit out.if i gravitate to someone, it means i'm interested in them. i want to talk. i want to explore. i want to share, most of all, sharing is the most important thing to me. the chance to be the real me is the best possibility of all possibilities. but especially when that intersects with social expectations, i lose my sense of confidence and feel like i'm just missing the story, just full of gaps, and trying to be prepared doesn't help, but the more anxious the more i get out of the moment, the more difficult it is to just flow, and the more overwhelming it feels trying to accept your emotions, stabilize the anxiety, and ALLOW YOURSELF TO MAKE MISTAKES. i hate the idea of making a mistake so much. just one. how could i forgive myself. i'm working on it.

anyway, this rant is one potential way of populating the interior of your infj male in question. what's his enneagram? from my perspective, i think i would have some interest in a female infj. so much to learn from each other. but i feel so terrible at exploring situations, and instead do too much immediate predictive --> protective cutting off or avoidance.

also, i lose confidence in my READING OF THE STORY between us all the time. i'm terrible at creating and keeping those threads going, and checking in with the interiors. as a result, gestures and exteriors can get overblown, and become so inflected with my own mood state. being firm in your place in the story, sharing just a bit of your story that is important or clears away anxiety, well, it tends to advance things quite successfully in my experience. the hesitation loop is so frustrating for infjs, and i want to figure out how to break it, but sometimes in our moments of unhealth it seems like we just feel dependent on that initiation coming from outside of us![/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's unhealthy (to the second bolded part). I think sometimes both people are afraid of showing how they feel to the other person, which is perfectly natural, even if you like and trust the other person. If the other person initiates, I'm so grateful that I won't hesitate to recirprocate. It's always more difficult to know what to do when feelings for someone else are strong. To the first bolded part: you're not alone.

Last edited:

Frankie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
So I ended up texting him again (with pretty much exactly what you said StarryKnights!) and he responded almost immediately. He might be going out of town this weekend with some friends, so he's not sure if he can...but I'm optimistic :) even if he can't Sat. then Monday is still a possibility, so keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for encouraging me to not give up on it!

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
^_^ I think its awesome you sent that to him btw,hahahahaha

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
INFJ's have the bad habit of acting too interested in someone, then backing off to protect themselves. It sounds a little exhausting to me, but it does sound like INFJ behavior to me.

Too true! Come on strong in the beginning, but in a low key manner (if that at all makes sense?), then, s**t! (hit with the realization) what did I get myself into? I dunno. There's an issue of intensity for me. I'm not sure it's the same for other INFJs.

So I ended up texting him again (with pretty much exactly what you said StarryKnights!) and he responded almost immediately. He might be going out of town this weekend with some friends, so he's not sure if he can...but I'm optimistic :) even if he can't Sat. then Monday is still a possibility, so keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for encouraging me to not give up on it!

He's got a thing for you. Texting right back is the clue. The eye gazing also makes that pretty clear.

Frankie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
So it's not worked out now. We talked on Friday and he said he couldn't Sat but maybe Monday. He also mentioned something about his roommate wanting to do some stuff Monday too. It kinda confused me so I asked him later if he meant his roomie wanted to come w us or like he just might be doing something else that day...and I told him that the invite was just for him so presumably he's figuring out things? He didn't respond but when I asked him again today he said sorry but he thinks he might be busy so he can't. I don't know if I should give up, back off, or keeping trying :/ He was really talkative and even flirted with me Friday and then this.

Torai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trust me, this guy is into you! Keep trying! The thing with INFJ guys, is we are clueless when it comes to the initial stages of romance. He's most likely not lying about being busy. When he has some free time, say the offer still stands.

Frankie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
So I know this thread is a little old now but I wanted to give an update if anyone's curious, and also to thank y'all for all the advice and encouragement. I finally got the nerve to write him a letter saying how I felt, and that he should tell me his feelings bc I was really unsure if he felt the same. He hasn't actually acknowledged that he got the letter, but he's definitely talking to me more and wants to hang out soon. So thank you, I probably wouldn't have done this without y'all assuring me that he probably liked me :) its taking a lot of initiating on my part still, which I think goes back to what someone said before of making him realize I do exist outside a txt & that I did in fact say I liked him. I just hope he takes his own initiative before we leave in two months!