• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] An Fe-Fi negative convo

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not trying to imply that Fe users don't have values or that they don't take them seriously. Sorry if that's how it came across. Not my intention.

Maybe it's just that Fi users FEAR that they are being asked to violate their Fi-values because they see everything through their internalized Fi value lens.

But there is something different here. Could you take a stab at trying to explain the differences between Fe and Fi-ness in this area? Thanks in advance. I'd love to hear your assessment.

I'm saying that, if there are differences, they are not rooted in Fe or Fi. If it has anything to do with functions, it's probably some combination of them that's related to specific types, not single functions in isolation. And even then, I think this kind of thing has more to do with an individual's level of self-esteem/confidence, and/or the culture in which they were raised, than it does with MBTI. I would venture to say that most people (on this forum, at the very least) view personal allegiance exactly the way that you described, since the only other way to view it would be that one compromises their beliefs/values/ideas in order to maintain personal allegiance first. And that's, well, a sort of slavish, dysfunctional way to be, and no Fe-user would say that they don't maintain their own values first, above and beyond any allegiance they may have to some other person.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
And this is a big part of it ... Fi folks see this as two separate things, two separate people, and whether the MIL is justified or not does seem irrelevant. If I got involved, and saw that the ISFP mom was indeed taking advantage of generosity, I would amend my approach to her, but still I wouldn't feel comfortable judging her. See? Does that make sense?

Not really, since the "Fi" faction of the thread has been perfectly comfortable exacting judgments of "cruelness" based on the MIL's actions. If it's okay for you to judge the MIL for judging the ISFP, then why is it not okay for the MIL to judge the ISFP for her actions? It seems like there's some perpetrator/victim type of logic that is influencing the "Fi" judgments here, and it's not being explicated (nor justified) properly.

I totally get the idea of allegiance, and being able to complain to someone who won't judge you for having nasty thoughts, and who can provide a wise sounding board - but why does it seem if the ISFP mom is a truly exhibiting bad behaviour that it makes it somehow more OK for anyone to say bad stuff about her in a venting session?

Because then you know it IS purely venting and not true maliciousness. The extremity of someone's words can be excused if they do not harm the person towards whom they are directed, and if they are born out of a transitory state of emotional distress. And their state of emotional distress is more understandable if there are real reasons behind it; reasons that could conceivably lead to frustration or anger. If there are no reasons, and the person is simply being irrational out of personal dislike or something equally petty, then their state of emotional distress (which leads to extreme words being used during venting) is not understandable. They've simply invented problems out of thin air and expect others to sympathize with them, which is much more reprehensible.

To phrase this another way, what I hear some of the Fe folks generally saying is "Does the ISFP mom deserve this?" and if she does, it appears to give free reign to say anything or make any condemnation one sees fit. Is that accurate? Because that's what it sounds like. And that is generally offensive to Fi ears.

Like I said above, if the ISFP mom has behaved in a way that could easily cause frustration, then it is more excusable for the MIL to have been in a temporary state of anger in which abusive words were produced. The question isn't whether the ISFP deserves the particular condemnations made verbally by the ISTP, but rather whether her actions could have led the ISTP to a state of emotional distress. If yes, then the ISTP can be temporarily excused for her verbal indiscretions, because she probably would not say such things if she were in a correct state of mind; and her "incorrect" state of mind is understandable because it was caused by the ISFP's frustrating actions, and it is most likely just a temporary build-up of emotion. If no, then there is no excuse for the ISTP, since she is simply causing her own problems by being an angry, judgmental jerk.

I think this disconnect is perhaps related to the fact that Fe-Ti views actions and person as two separate entities, while Fi-Te views them as being the same. (I'm not probably saying it right, but I think there's at least a closer connection for you guys than there is for us).

Are you saying this solely because the Fi/Fe identified people in this thread have agreed upon this distinction? I'm just saying that I don't think I'd feel safe using this information to assume what any random Fi or Fe user, unrelated to this thread, would think in this situation. And actually, I wouldn't assume that this actions-person distinction (or lack thereof) would apply to all Fe or Fi users, either. There may very well be some INFP out there that is perfectly capable and willing to judge actions as separate from the person. And there may very well be NFJs or SFJs that do not. Why do you trust that the factioning happening in this thread has anything to do with the reality of the functions?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes, excellent points. it's what fidelia said... the main lesson we should all learn is just to give one another the benefit of the doubt...

Kinda. I’m bad about knowing when my point is clear or not. I was focusing on how looking to the E/I equivalent can make the other side directly understandable. This has already been pointed out, but I was trying to give a specific example. When someone else’s point of view becomes directly understandable, then it isn’t necessary to give them the benefit of the doubt.

There seems so be a repeating pattern in these threads where the Fe/Ti (or Ti/Fe) side challenges the definitions of ‘Fe’ being put forth by the Fi/Te side; we are more inclined to see it as ‘final product’, and we get itchy when it isn’t complete- just as Fi/Te gets itchy when behaviors/values don’t seem congruent. And it’s like the Fi/Te side keeps coming back with something equivalent to, “right, that’s why Fi is better”. <- That's the repeating pattern. I’m guessing (maybe hoping) this is because it isn’t complete, which is hard for us to understand. As long as the Fi’ers try to slip some form of “right, that’s why Fi is better” into the recipe- Ti is going to reject it. Much in the way Fe venting seems like back-stabbing and deceitful behavior, because it isn’t presenting a face to the world where behavior and values are already congruent: the tendency to constantly bias definitions (which we mistake as finished product) seems seedy and manipulative, because they aren’t already accurate and fair.

I was trying to think of a phrase to reciprocate “I cant align my values with you just because you are upset and need an ally.” The best I can come up with is, albeit crude: “I can’t dumb myself down enough to align with this thinking.” And I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve definitely felt that way sometimes. I’ll even admit to feeling that way when reading certain “right, that’s why Fi is better” comments. Silent alarms go off, and “Who exactly do you think you’re fooling?” pops into my head. But when I see its parallel equivalent- no benefit of the doubt necessary- I can instantly understand how maybe it’s about me being particularly sensitive to contradictory information.

To be sure, there are Je’ers out there (on both the F and T ends) who aren’t open to new information- who really are putting forth declarations, and don’t want to do the work of assimilating any new information. But like I said: an intelligent, thoughtful person of any type will recognize a distorted funhouse reflection (short-sighted feedback) when they run into it, and [to add] they will also know good information when it crosses their path. A lot of times, and I mean *a lot* of times, the definitions put forth by team Fi/Te have a strong (and obnoxiously so at times) ‘Fi=pure benevolance, Fe=feigned benevolance’ aftertaste. If the definitions put forth were true, then- irl- Fi people would inherently be more thoughtful. And they may very well seem that way- to each other. But as far as how much of the population actually contributes more benevolance to the world- MBTI simply doesn’t matter as much as personal upbringing and individual factors. It’s almost alarming at times how people who claim to have some kismet connection to purer values are the ones who consistently slant definitions in their own favor. I’m just musing here- that maybe it’s because their definitions aren’t as done as we think they are? (i.e. They're just trying them on in front of a mirror?)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that considering the E/I/T/F equivalent on the other side often makes this tomfoolery directly understandable, which makes it infinitely easier to empathize with than trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt. If only because it’s hard to give the benefit of the doubt to people who we consistently find offensive.

[edit:] I can't shake the feeling that I made some of these words up, but spellcheck isn't indicating anything (other than the word 'spellcheck'). I'll have to come back later when I'm more awake to check.

fidelia said:
I think this disconnect is perhaps related to the fact that Fe-Ti views actions and person as two separate entities, while Fi-Te views them as being the same. (I'm not probably saying it right, but I think there's at least a closer connection for you guys than there is for us).

Are you saying this solely because the Fi/Fe identified people in this thread have agreed upon this distinction? I'm just saying that I don't think I'd feel safe using this information to assume what any random Fi or Fe user, unrelated to this thread, would think in this situation. And actually, I wouldn't assume that this actions-person distinction (or lack thereof) would apply to all Fe or Fi users, either. There may very well be some INFP out there that is perfectly capable and willing to judge actions as separate from the person. And there may very well be NFJs or SFJs that do not. Why do you trust that the factioning happening in this thread has anything to do with the reality of the functions?

It’s come up before- in a couple different places I believe- that the people who argue Fe points tend to identify more with ideas, whereas Fi’ers tend to identify more with values. So it seems reasonable to me there may be something to this notion that it’s harder for Fi’ers to digest incongruency between behaviors and stated values. Quite often, though, the people who surface to argue Fe points are aux, tert and even inferior Fe- so this may or may not be accurately representative of Fe. And it's not like a group of people this size is a fair representation of reality. I’d be surprised, actually, if Fe doms related more to ideas than to values. Dunno. I'm not saying I'm convinced it's a Fe/Fi thing, but I think it's feasible that such an inclination could be type related.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I was trying to think of a phrase to reciprocate “I cant align my values with you just because you are upset and need an ally.” The best I can come up with is, albeit crude: “I can’t dumb myself down enough to align with this thinking.”

"I can't keep talking to you without making you feel like the idiot you are, because to validate your position would be personally offensive to me, and to reality."

sculpting

Orangey, I am sorry...but the venting isnt venting. It appears to be finalized expressed judgments shared with the rest of the church and all of her friends and family spanning several weeks in duration.

Based on my observations of the family many of the claims are badly twisted and being used to justify her opinion.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It appears to be finalized expressed judgments shared with the rest of the church and all of her friends and family spanning several weeks in duration.

That's the operative phrase.

It could be that the mother is a very nice woman, who unfortunately, due to life circumstances, was never taught how to properly care for herself, much less for children. That doesn't mean that it still isn't a considerable drain on your M-i-L's resources, both material and emotional, to keep her propped up. You personally may have it in you to keep sacrificing in such a situation. Most people don't.

sculpting

That's the operative phrase.

It could be that the mother is a very nice woman, who unfortunately, due to life circumstances, was never taught how to properly care for herself, much less for children. That doesn't mean that it still isn't a considerable drain on your M-i-L's resources, both material and emotional, to keep her propped up. You personally may have it in you to keep sacrificing in such a situation. Most people don't.

actually. To to totally diverge the thread.... Sorry my beloved Ti companions, it has to get a bit sloppy again.

If I see another in need I will supply 1) emotional affirmation,2) followed by resources to resolve the immediate need,3) followed by guidance and suggestions. If the person fails to improve upon themselves,4) they get warnings they are not meeting expectations, 5)then they get cut off.

Would I be incorrect in saying that most of us agree we would follow a similar path? Proetean seemed to follow this path much earlier in the thread... There is a universal goal of helping those around us that sort of follows a series of seemingly reasonable steps above?

But as we follow that series of actions, our particular cognitive functions influence what and how we externalize the pattern.

If I am helping a TJ or FP, then most things I do and say will be read correctly and boundaries I set and guidance I offer will be understood. My final judgments upon them will be pretty accurate.

If I try and help a TP or an FJ, things become much more screwed up because the things I say and do get misunderstood and I misunderstand them, then we judge each other harshly. My final judgments are totally wacked and I will need to retranslate them because they are inappropriate.

Let me give an example. I have a friend who and lost her job and got her car repoed. Below is how I would naturally, without thought, step through the steps above:

Step 1) I feel really badly for you. I am a terrible planner myself so I totally get what you are saying about organizing bills. I once lost a job and I know how much it really sucks. Shit happens sometimes, and you are an awesome person, so dont let it get you down. We'll figure something out.

Step 2) Do you need money for a down payment on a new car? Can I help you pay your bills or cover rent till you get paid again? Do you need a ride anywhere? (Notice how "logistical" all of this is-never commenting on the person-assuming no ill intent but just a run of bad luck)

Step 3) ? You lost your job huh. Why did you lose it? What did you do wrong? Are you sure it was your bosses fault? What could you have done to get more guidance? You should have spoken with your bosses boss. Was it your own pride that prevented you from seeking more help? I totally know how you feel, though, been there. Did you look online to see if you could find resources to equip you with more information to complete the tasks assigned? What will you do next time so this doesnt repeat? Getting your car repo was a pretty bad move to be honest. Without a car you cant get to work or anything else. If it was me I would have placed a higher priority on getting the car paid and not eaten out so much. You werent opening your bills? Bad move to be honest.

Step 4) You know I have been giving you a ride for two weeks now. What work have you been doing to get your own car? Have you made a down payment? Make sure and check it out at a mechanic's first. I can give you a ride for one more week, but after that you need to resolve the issue yourself. (These are the EXACT words I would say to the person)

After crossing multiple boundaries....

Step 5) I have been helping you for months and you have failed over and over again to act independently. I dont understand why you think it is okay to be a parasite on other people, but you need to get your shit together and quit using others. Grow a backbone, man up and get a fucking job. Have some pride in yourself and quite being a fucking scavenger. Your family comes before you and if you dont take the initiative to feed and clothe them, you are a piece of trash. It isnt simply needing help, but instead that you are too lazy to support yourself and plan for the future. (I would say these exact words. hehe, my brother and I have said words very much like this to my sister, an ESFP parasite. She is cut off from our families now.)

Do my words and actions sound very different from what an TP or FJ would do? If I took the above steps with an FJ or TP I am assuming I would offend them-as many of them are now things I consciously DONT do, given I have learned they create offense from convos here.

(To answer you time, I suspect the TP followed the above series of steps-in her own way-and is at her wits end. If I allow a perspective other than my own to be valid-then it seems her frustration is valid. She did everything she could. Symmetrically and fairly-if I allow the FP's perspective to be valid-than the FP likely misunderstood or misinterrpreted everything the TP was doing and responded in the opposite way the TP expected and even being offended by the TP. A self propagating cycle/death spiral of miscommunication was set up between the two with the relationship getting worse and worse with each interaction-with neither person actually at fault-but both feeling the other is TOTALLY at fault.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I haven't thought in-depth about any of it, but upon initial reading, I don't find your progression offensive. Personally I am not sure how much of (1) would really be necessary for me. But (2) certainly wouldn't offend me - I actually appreciate action steps such as that - or at least the offer, even if I would end up not taking it up.

Edit - I personally wouldn't be nearly as generous in terms of the timeframe, probably. So I'd reach step 5 much sooner. And, w/ regards to step 5, the words I used wouldn't be at all like that (I don't know if the words/phrases are how you would actually phrase irl) - I would just be like, 'I'm sorry, I can't continue doing this anymore, blah blah, etc etc, you're on you own at this point. Good luck.'

Edit2 - the interesting thing about your step (4) is that you state you can give a ride for another week but then they're on their own. But *you don't follow through with that*. Why? To me, your not following through basically sets the Tone and the other person realizes they can in fact take advantage of you. So it's like an empty threat - if you continue driving them even if you said you wouldn't after 1 more week, then they of course some people are going to continue taking advantage until you do in fact go ballistic. So it's like..you state a boundary but you don't intend to enforce it? For me, when I say something like that, I mean it. Do you not mean it when you say it?

So now that I think about it... I don't think there'd even be a Step 5 for me. It would end with 4.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
actually. To to totally diverge the thread.... Sorry my beloved Ti companions, it has to get a bit sloppy again.

If I see another in need I will supply 1) emotional affirmation,2) followed by resources to resolve the immediate need,3) followed by guidance and suggestions. If the person fails to improve upon themselves,4) they get warnings they are not meeting expectations, 5)then they get cut off.

Would I be incorrect in saying that most of us agree we would follow a similar path? Proetean seemed to follow this path much earlier in the thread... There is a universal goal of helping those around us that sort of follows a series of seemingly reasonable steps above?

But as we follow that series of actions, our particular cognitive functions influence what and how we externalize the pattern.

If I am helping a TJ or FP, then most things I do and say will be read correctly and boundaries I set and guidance I offer will be understood. My final judgments upon them will be pretty accurate.

If I try and help a TP or an FJ, things become much more screwed up because the things I say and do get misunderstood and I misunderstand them, then we judge each other harshly. My final judgments are totally wacked and I will need to retranslate them because they are inappropriate.

Let me give an example. I have a friend who and lost her job and got her car repoed. Below is how I would naturally, without thought, step through the steps above:

Step 1) I feel really badly for you. I am a terrible planner myself so I totally get what you are saying about organizing bills. I once lost a job and I know how much it really sucks. Shit happens sometimes, and you are an awesome person, so dont let it get you down. We'll figure something out.

Step 2) Do you need money for a down payment on a new car? Can I help you pay your bills or cover rent till you get paid again? Do you need a ride anywhere? (Notice how "logistical" all of this is-never commenting on the person-assuming no ill intent but just a run of bad luck)

Step 3) ? You lost your job huh. Why did you lose it? What did you do wrong? Are you sure it was your bosses fault? What could you have done to get more guidance? You should have spoken with your bosses boss. Was it your own pride that prevented you from seeking more help? I totally know how you feel, though, been there. Did you look online to see if you could find resources to equip you with more information to complete the tasks assigned? What will you do next time so this doesnt repeat? Getting your car repo was a pretty bad move to be honest. Without a car you cant get to work or anything else. If it was me I would have placed a higher priority on getting the car paid and not eaten out so much. You werent opening your bills? Bad move to be honest.

Step 4) You know I have been giving you a ride for two weeks now. What work have you been doing to get your own car? Have you made a down payment? Make sure and check it out at a mechanic's first. I can give you a ride for one more week, but after that you need to resolve the issue yourself. (These are the EXACT words I would say to the person)

After crossing multiple boundaries....

Step 5) I have been helping you for months and you have failed over and over again to act independently. I dont understand why you think it is okay to be a parasite on other people, but you need to get your shit together and quit using others. Grow a backbone, man up and get a fucking job. Have some pride in yourself and quite being a fucking scavenger. Your family comes before you and if you dont take the initiative to feed and clothe them, you are a piece of trash. It isnt simply needing help, but instead that you are too lazy to support yourself and plan for the future. (I would say these exact words. hehe, my brother and I have said words very much like this to my sister, an ESFP parasite. She is cut off from our families now.)

Do my words and actions sound very different from what an TP or FJ would do? If I took the above steps with an FJ or TP I am assuming I would offend them-as many of them are now things I consciously DONT do, given I have learned they create offense from convos here.

(To answer you time, I suspect the TP followed the above series of steps-in her own way-and is at her wits end. If I allow a perspective other than my own to be valid-then it seems her frustration is valid. She did everything she could. Symmetrically and fairly-if I allow the FP's perspective to be valid-than the FP likely misunderstood or misinterrpreted everything the TP was doing and responded in the opposite way the TP expected and even being offended by the TP. A self propagating cycle/death spiral of miscommunication was set up between the two with the relationship getting worse and worse with each interaction-with neither person actually at fault-but both feeling the other is TOTALLY at fault.)

Sounds very Te in my opinion.

Dont recognize the bolded in regards to FP and TP communication, never have. I prefer not to place blame, but look at a situation itself and understand it and I get the impression thats what FPs do as well.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Let's break this down...

Those are the only two places where things might cause problems with me. Regarding being a terrible planner - (hypothetically, when pissy)great, that's the exact thing that got me into this mess. Cold comfort to know you're just as sucky at managing bills as I am. Re: I once lost a job - oh really? That's fine and dandy, but that's in the past, and I'm out of a job right now. (this goes along with a general interpretation of smugness behind the comment)

Basically, and others can comment, I'm going to need to process my emotions on an individual basis before sympathy of that sort is going to sound anything but condescending. In this circumstance, it's much better to say "I'm so sorry. That must really sting. Anything I can do for you? How about I treat you to dinner on Thursday at your favorite place - that'll help you take your mind off of things."

In my case, you'd be better off waiting for me to ask you for these things. You're not just dealing with my issues at this point, you're also dealing with a person whose pride has been seriously wounded. No matter what, if you make me feel like I'm in an inferior position (regardless of whether it's reality or not), I'll be inclined to either leave the conversation entirely, or knock you down a peg.

Now, if there's any distinction between Te and Ti, it's this. Yes, I thought of all of this. I thought of it exactly 500 milliseconds after the news. I've been thinking of it constantly since. The last thing I need is for you to remind me of all of this, and make me feel like I'm incompetent for making the wrong decisions.

The better questions to ask at this point are "why" questions. Why did you buy such an expensive car? Why not check online, and see if there's anything available - here's a list of sites you can start at. Why didn't you go up the chain of command to get things taken care of? Let me get to the conclusion that it was my pride getting in the way. Only offer suggestions when asked for them.

Also, notice the shift in tone - "I've been there" to "You're an idiot for not considering all these things". That first part will be ignored or interpreted as cheap talk so you don't have to feel like an asshole. I take notice of what percentage of the conversation is directed at what issues, and judge accordingly.

In that situation, it would be much easier to say "hey, I can only give you a ride for one more week. Sorry man, but that's all I can do. If you need any other help in getting a car, let me know."

This is where the venting to friends comes in. After that, I can handle the situation more dispassionately. The cut-off point would sound something like this - "You found a place yet? Well, better do it quickly, because you can't stay here after the end of this week. No, I don't need to justify myself; this is my house, and you were my guest, and doing a pretty shitty job of it, at that. You made your bed, now lie in it. If you want me to help with finding hotels with cheap rates, let me know. In any case, start packing."

My assumption is that they know what they're doing wrong, and I'm not going to tell them unless they ask.

In that case, it's just a relationship that shouldn't have happened. It's a shame, but it's time to cut losses on both ends, and find a new arrangement.

sculpting

That's what I'm seeing, too, and it looks like it's going to be hard to bridge that gap with each other. When you're starting from such a wildly different basic premise, it's hard to find a common way to view the situation.

I hear what y'all are saying, and it kinda confirms for me my choice to vent in front of people I know will understand where I'm coming from, and won't be conflicted or feel like they're compromising themselves to support me.

In that case, it's just a relationship that shouldn't have happened. It's a shame, but it's time to cut losses on both ends, and find a new arrangement.

If-as we are exploring-innate cognitive preferences (considered in isolation or as clumps making up personality type, my apologies for the innate sloppiness inherent) do give rise to these misunderstandings...then we are left with cycles that are not specific to individuals but are instead destined to repeat across different types. We just keep hopping until we find an arrangement that works-most likely between folks who think more like ourselves.

WRT venting Tallulah, once I realized that my Fi venting and emotional lability upset and stressed my ENTP friend, I learned to try and process it somewhat before hand or find another Fi user to rant to. I did this because I love and adore my ENTP best friend and even my other ENTP friends and I want to make sure I dont do things that will frustrate them or add stress to their lives. I also try and very carefully moderate how I use Te as-as can be seen from Time's response-the answers I would innately supply create more harm than good for a TP.

It likely doesnt matter how much I care for the person or how much money I can offer or that I would take a bullet for them-I have already pissed the TP off enough, totally unintended by stomping all over them, that all of my advice is falling on deaf ears and actually hurting them, not helping them. It generates a defensive mechanism. Just like the MIL did to the FP mom.

(often I am at the point with FeTi, that I try and apologize in advance. "I am sorry, I realize that I may not phrase things the right way and you may see offense where none was intended. I care for your a great deal and please let me know how I can help as I dont really have the right words to offer")

Exactly what

@cascadco-the outlines were pretty sketchy just to illustrate flow of thought. I would actually not give in on step 4 deliverables but I would have several layers of increasing requests for additional responsibility from the other person, but my initial sketch was pretty messy.

sculpting

Also, notice the shift in tone - "I've been there" to "You're an idiot for not considering all these things". That first part will be ignored or interpreted as cheap talk so you don't have to feel like an asshole. I take notice of what percentage of the conversation is directed at what issues, and judge accordingly.

That is the Fi to Te transition point. The first part is meant to imply complete forgiveness and understanding of lack of intent and indicate your values arent flawed internally. the second part is then to objectively view the problem in a way to identify solutions.

My assumption is that they know what they're doing wrong, and I'm not going to tell them unless they ask.

This is actually not a good idea with a Te user of the FP variety especially who you are trying to influence. They NEED explicit Te action based direction even if they resent it in the moment. (And yes, my ENTP says she thinks all Te users appears to be total fucking morons, "Isnt it obvious what needs to happen next?!!", no and I love you my dearest sweetest ENTP and would do anything for you-but it isnt obvious)

I left out step 3.5) The other person begins requesting critical feedback on their own actions or behaviors and seeking you to serve as a mentor for them. In the FP mom's case the things she asked me about where "I dont understand how to get the kids to go poop in the potty. what works best? " " I get really angry sometimes and have yell. I really dont know what to do" "I am worried that the baby isnt moving her hands the right way. What should I do?" " I try and clean this house, but it takes so long. I am not sure how to organize it" She was VERY actively seeking Te external guidance steps for improvement and someone to tell her explicitily what she needed to do-but not in a condemnatory way which sets off a defensive response.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ah, sorry, z buck. i think i make these statements and they sound like they're aimed at someone, but they're not. giving one another the benefit of the doubt was just my general reflection, based off the thread as a whole as it stands, instead of a response to your post. i suppose that wasn't very clear. my meaning was that i need to suspend doubt until things do become clear... like your post itself, it raised my hackles a bit, and in this situation i have to just trust you and suspend my immediate reaction to defend as much as i can...

Z Buck McFate said:
There seems so be a repeating pattern in these threads where the Fe/Ti (or Ti/Fe) side challenges the definitions of ‘Fe’ being put forth by the Fi/Te side; we are more inclined to see it as ‘final product’, and we get itchy when it isn’t complete- just as Fi/Te gets itchy when behaviors/values don’t seem congruent. And it’s like the Fi/Te side keeps coming back with something equivalent to, “right, that’s why Fi is better”. <- That's the repeating pattern.

i imagine part of the problem is that we are trying to understand things in our own words, but because we do not use the other party's cognitive process, we do not form the words in the way that the other party would. i have run across this before when conversing with fidelia - she will say something that is, generally, correct about Fi, but it's not worded in the way that i would word it, the way that conveys how it feels to be me and have that perspective. so then i reword it the way i feel, but i suppose that comes off sounding like Fi is better. it's not better, but i feel like a lot of times when Fe users say things about Fi, there is also a slant to it, that implies things that are not quite right.

i think you are right about the final product, but it frustrates me a little because it sounds like what you're saying is that even if the final product put forth by the Fe user in regards to Fi is not quite right, then we should just suck it up and not address how it's not right? but to me, the whole purpose of the forum is understanding one another, and i would want to know if you thought my take on Fe was not the way you felt about it. i imagine we're running into this on both the Ti/Te and Fi/Fe ends, because Te and Fe just want to be done with it and move on while Ti and Fi are like, wait, that's not right... admittedly i see some of the NTP conversations in the NT forum and am like god that discussion could go on forever, which is true, we could play a game of reductio ad nauseum with anything. i suppose perhaps that is how some NFP discussions feel to you guys, too, but to us this Fi nitty-gritty is what's really important, so we need to get it just right, because if we don't, then we can't proceed correctly...

the other feeling i get, is that there is a latent sense from some FJs and TPs that Fi is a rather useless function. it's subjective and personal, so how can it be fairly applied to anything? the other functions all have some grounding in the external, but Fi is completely internal. and that sense of uselessness is really annoying. so there's also a feeling, at least on my personal part, of needing to show how Fi is a valuable function, both because i need to prove it to myself for the sake of my own self-worth and because i need to prove it for everyone who relies on Fi as a function. there is this driving sense of needing to prove, we are not worthless. and NFPs on the defense, because we have no inherent ability to block others out short of Te, must resort to lashing out to protect themselves - so some of the seeming attacks you may be feeling may very well be defense.

this is like the 5th time i've rewritten this response... my first was very emotionally charged, too much so... some part of me wonders if you are going to see in this exchange a metacosm (not really sure that is a word either) of the pattern you described - of you as a Fe/Ti user questioning Fi and me as a Fi user defending. some part of me also wonders if this is not just a pattern that is almost bound to happen, because of the nature of Fi itself in terms of creating a sense of value-identity and necessarily reacting when those values are questioned.

It’s come up before- in a couple different places I believe- that the people who argue Fe points tend to identify more with ideas, whereas Fi’ers tend to identify more with values. So it seems reasonable to me there may be something to this notion that it’s harder for Fi’ers to digest incongruency between behaviors and stated values. Quite often, though, the people who surface to argue Fe points are aux, tert and even inferior Fe- so this may or may not be accurately representative of Fe. And it's not like a group of people this size is a fair representation of reality. I’d be surprised, actually, if Fe doms related more to ideas than to values.

my suspicion is that Fe doms, given the ones i know, relate most to people-driven action?

sculpting

I thought this very profound Orobas! This is EXACTLY how it feels for me. EXACTLY.

Sometimes I wish I didn't understand these Fi/Te and Fe/Ti differences so well. It's like I've seen behind the curtain now. There is a naive joy in not knowing how differently other people think about the world... Like I used to think that everyone felt the same way about not re-aligning one's values just for the sake of personal allegiance.

I totally get this. To the point of being really depressed and bummed out-like no matter what I do, those rifts run so deep, as to prevent us from ever really accepting one another. Those barriers will always result in individuals suffering because no matter what we do, we cannot help but apply our negative judgments to those different from us, not understanding they are different-which result in undeserved pain and rejection.

As of late I have really been trying to avoid thinking about people in Te terms and trying to revert to an Fi outlook. This includes avoiding thinking about typology at all. It is weird as I feel as though to be happy I will need to let the veil close back again and just pretend like I dont see the fissures. Otherwise I just carry around sadness for those who are hurting. I delude myself with my own aux function, and pretend not to see reality for what it is, but at least I can cherish those right in front of me.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I totally get this. To the point of being really depressed and bummed out-like no matter what I do, those rifts run so deep, as to prevent us from ever really accepting one another. Those barriers will always result in individuals suffering because no matter what we do, we cannot help but apply our negative judgments to those different from us, not understanding they are different-which result in undeserved pain and rejection.

As of late I have really been trying to avoid thinking about people in Te terms and trying to revert to an Fi outlook. This includes avoiding thinking about typology at all. It is weird as I feel as though to be happy I will need to let the veil close back again and just pretend like I dont see the fissures. Otherwise I just carry around sadness for those who are hurting. I delude myself with my own aux function, and pretend not to see reality for what it is, but at least I can cherish those right in front of me.

Because you surround yourself with people that are hurting and need help?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you know anyone who isn't hurting in some way? :huh:

yes, but a healthy relationship, especially communication wise, allows enough positive to overcome the negative hurt. Though the boundary is that the hurt should never be intentional.

edit: I dont generally hurt, it comes and goes. Its one thing I am extremely compartmental with. Not by choice, but it just disappears until another point in time.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yes, but a healthy relationship, especially communication wise, allows enough positive to overcome the negative hurt. Though the boundary is that the hurt should never be intentional.

edit: I dont generally hurt, it comes and goes. Its one thing I am extremely compartmental with. Not by choice, but it just disappears until another point in time.

yeah, true.

@ edit - ah, very interesting. i feel like i have a little underlying "thread" of hurt that is always present... i guess sort of like a sound wave, that can amplify based on situations.

Orobas said:

i understand the frustration you're feeling too... but i also think that the capacity of humanity in and of itself is so much more powerful than any of this, that it's got to be strong enough to reach across these cognition gaps. perhaps my mom and my closest couple of friends will never be able to quite understand my Fi because they are FJs, and my dad and brother because they are NTPs, but they are still the people in this world who mean the most to me and who i want around. i don't think we have to eliminate the rifts so much as just attempt to bridge over them... just because we can never fill them, does not mean we can never cross them... there are so many other things besides cognition patterns as hypothesized by this silly little MBTI system that draw people together, similar backgrounds and especially similar experiences, inside jokes and little relationship quirks, cute little notes and flowers and sharing a look from across a crowded room and running on the beach and setting off fireworks and sneaking out of the house when you were little and singing like crazy in the car while everyone else looks at you like you're totally nuts... i think it's wonderful to embrace a Fi outlook but i suspect we don't need to reject Te either because Te can help us see where we need to make our bridges, and what to make them out of, just how long they need to be and how to maintain them... and we know that suffering is not just because of cognitive difference, one ENFP i know drives me completely batshit insane. yet wouldn't it be unfortunate if there were no rifts, if there was no mystery or difference or newness in the world?

hey, after all, you and i are Ne doms, i have full faith in there being a loophole around this and our ability to find it and exploit it for every little bit of love and connection that it's worth :hug:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
That is the Fi to Te transition point. The first part is meant to imply complete forgiveness and understanding of lack of intent and indicate your values arent flawed internally. the second part is then to objectively view the problem in a way to identify solutions.

Doesn't work. Remember, our emotions are very much caught up in our objective thought process. There's just no way to separate it. I'm comfortable in my intent - once I've been bitten, and am taking responsibility, I'm not lying to myself about intent, nor to others. I expect you to believe me, because you're my friend. The second half - don't do it for me! That comes across as very patronizing. You talk that way to children, not other adults.

I left out step 3.5) The other person begins requesting critical feedback on their own actions or behaviors and seeking you to serve as a mentor for them. In the FP mom's case the things she asked me about where "I dont understand how to get the kids to go poop in the potty. what works best? " " I get really angry sometimes and have yell. I really dont know what to do" "I am worried that the baby isnt moving her hands the right way. What should I do?" " I try and clean this house, but it takes so long. I am not sure how to organize it" She was VERY actively seeking Te external guidance steps for improvement and someone to tell her explicitily what she needed to do-but not in a condemnatory way which sets off a defensive response.

The issue here is that wording things this way crosses circuits - I wouldn't know whether to comfort her for her troubles, or give practical advice. It's also giving off a sense of helplessness, instead of inner strength and resolve. Constantly saying "I don't understand" "I don't know" etc. doesn't give off a sense of competence, and makes efforts seem futile.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Sorry for the wall of text. :blushing:

My point overall here is, it sounds to me like a lot of us are actually describing the same thing from different ends. It’s just that Fe’ers are more impatient with the process? They want the emo to be decided, they want the conclusion faster- they don’t want to put all the time into it themselves when others might have answers. We don’t relish in exploring that stuff the way Fi’ers do?

Thanks for your post, Z Buck. I agree with this, and I feel the Fe impatience with emotion (generally) and, not only that, Te is impatient too ... everyone wants the good emotions, and want to be rid of the bad as quickly as possible, or to be able to attribute them to something outside themselves, thus be rid of them too. Sometimes to me it seems like few people place importance on the fine details of exploring emotion, and want to rush forward to what I call an "80% solution" - Te and Fe both. And yes, you can tell me that there's a level of diminished return trying to define the small stuff, and I do agree with that, but there are times when going the extra 20% makes a significant positive difference, not only in understanding but in resultant action.

I lack the precision, energy or capability to explain this much better, and for that I apologize. (Curse you introverted function fatigue!)

-----

Also, I wanted to say that I definitely agree with fidelia about feeling the negative emotions physically, too. To the point where I feel ill, anxious, shaky, etc. So in a way, it is something that needs to be purged, and the sooner, the better. Having a new perspective or an action to take is the only thing that lifts it. Examining the emotion for the emotion's sake only makes me feel worse.

Yes, negative emotions make me feel that way too, they sure aren't a pleasure to explore, and I do want to be rid of them too. It's not necessarily perspective or action that purges them, although those contemplations might be part of my action plan to do so - it's understanding "why?" that ultimately matters. "Why am I feeling this way?" I need to examine the emotion, define, pick it apart, much like I imagine Ti needs to examine all of the inner workings too.

-----

Well, one of the reasons that I participate so much in these Fe-Fi threads is that in teaching, I'm frequently dealing with immature Fi users and it's helpful to at least have an idea of what language is more effective for them. In my close personal life, there are a couple of cases of Fi users who are greatly impacting their kids by what they do/don't do, but I realize that anything I would naturally do to try to improve the situation is not going to be received as being loving. I care too much to just shrug my shoulders and walk away, so right now I'm kind of at an impasse.

I am very glad you care. Do you deal with immature Fe users too when teaching? How do you approach them? (As an aside, I think I prefer the use of the word "young" in this context rather than immature, since immature is best used IMO for someone older who perhaps hasn't yet gained a certain level of mastery.)

It's hard for me not to hear judgement about other people throughout this paragraph as I read it though, even as I am typing my responding paragraph with total respect and compassion towards you, knowing that you have continually shown yourself to be a genuine, good and caring person on this forum. Phrases like "frequently dealing with immature Fi users", "Fi users who are greatly impacting their kids by what they do/don't do", "I care too much to just shrug my shoulders" ... all these sound like you already have a negative opinion, and someone has to prove themselves better in order for you to change it. It feels hard to be saddled with the weight of that emotional judgement right out of the gate. And I truly believe you when you say you would change your opinion with new data coming in, if you saw people making an "effort" to be better. It's simply challenging for me to read it and feel neutral, and believe that you are neutral, and that you believe in me. IDK, Fe doms would just say it plain, and I find that less difficult to read somehow, maybe it's more like Te? Just exploring this too so I can understand it better myself.

Anyway, I have let more of my natural, non-neutral phrasing show here on the forum, and I don't know that has helped much either to any greater appreciation of the Fi perspective. But I do know that no matter what any of us do, there will always be someone who doesn't think well of us, or like us, even if we try our very best to be understanding and caring and meet the needs of those around us the very best we can.

Would the best thing we can do, when we don't speak the native language of another person, is just find a better translator than us, and work through that person to effect change instead? So, we are still involved and trying and using every tool we have at our disposal - not expecting to be experts in using it ourselves, but recognizing when the tool is most appropriate to be put into use.

IDK, what do you think?

-----

Te, especially in the Fi perspective, is how to handle all those things that one has to do that one would really rather not do. Emotion is detached, and you just do them. Sticking emotion context on them only confuses.

The Fi is where the motivation lies, but it comes from within, not from without. So you build motivation in Fi (in others) by allowing them to try and fail without fearing failure. Not that you coddle them - rather you can say things in a "harsher" way without emotion, pointing out what was done right and wrong, without any hint that one is displeased. That it's OK to fail, but one just keeps working at it. You teach them by letting them be themselves, within limits.

@bold: yes

I already responded to this a bit earlier in thread, feeling it would be hard for Fe to not communicate displeasure when they feel it, even indirectly, but wanted to add, and I'm not sure how it fits - I always wanted to know why we were doing something. Once there was a why ... I could fit in into a context and thus could get engaged. When I took uni level calculus, and we got to a certain point in the learning, I got very lost. Didn't do well in that class at all. A few years later, I was watching a PBS-style show with a prof teaching calculus and he explained what calculus was meant to explore, why it was important and what it could do. I felt like the blinders were lifted from my confusion and all of a sudden, it made sense to me! Oooh, that's WHY we take calculus! Then I could invest in it. It just didn't immediately fit into a context I could see. I didn't (and don't) need a step-by-step per se, I just need to know WHY this will be useful to me.

-----

I've noticed that Fi is bigger on trust and less on respect. In some ways it cuts people more slack and in others it has higher expectations.

Hmm, I am not sure about that; I have more expectations on myself, and generally have learned to only hold myself to those standards, realizing they are not universal at all. So, I guess I don't really know if Fi is bigger on one or the other, and I think that is hard to define.

-----

There seems so be a repeating pattern in these threads where the Fe/Ti (or Ti/Fe) side challenges the definitions of ‘Fe’ being put forth by the Fi/Te side; we are more inclined to see it as ‘final product’, and we get itchy when it isn’t complete- just as Fi/Te gets itchy when behaviors/values don’t seem congruent. And it’s like the Fi/Te side keeps coming back with something equivalent to, “right, that’s why Fi is better”. <- That's the repeating pattern. I’m guessing (maybe hoping) this is because it isn’t complete, which is hard for us to understand. As long as the Fi’ers try to slip some form of “right, that’s why Fi is better” into the recipe- Ti is going to reject it. Much in the way Fe venting seems like back-stabbing and deceitful behavior, because it isn’t presenting a face to the world where behavior and values are already congruent: the tendency to constantly bias definitions (which we mistake as finished product) seems seedy and manipulative, because they aren’t already accurate and fair.

Z Buck, I felt sad reading this whole post. And I am not expressing that emotion in order to make you or any other Fe user take any kind of action. Just hoping to make that clear. I personally don't think Fi or Fe is better, and I have endeavored to maintain neutrality on that while trying to explain how things appear from this side of the fence. What I find challenging as an Fi user is that the default position of Fe is that it is the most correct. Continually in these threads, I feel like I struggle for the Fi position to be seen as valid, equal. Legitimate. I try to explain it in the best way I can. And from my vantage point, Fe stands slight askance and says, "Well, still, that's just not right. We don't get it." It's hard to feel that sense of being misunderstood, and I realize me saying so is cliche too. Fi users don't totally get Fe either. But we are all trying, and I guess that's a wonderful thing in and of itself. I myself have more appreciation for the Fe vantage point from these threads, and previously I thought I was very Fe savvy, moreso than most. Do you think Fe users have more appreciation of Fi participating? Or is it more like ... ya whatever, Fi whinging over and over and over again.

So it seems reasonable to me there may be something to this notion that it’s harder for Fi’ers to digest incongruency between behaviors and stated values.

Thanks, but see, even here, an Fi notion ... no offense Z Buck, because I respect you so very much for your thoughts and sharing on this forum, and have proven your good intentions time and time again. Still, there's the word notion:

no·tion   
–noun
1. a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.
2. an opinion, view, or belief: That's his notion, not mine.
3. conception or idea: his notion of democracy.
4. a fanciful or foolish idea; whim: She had a notion to swim in the winter.

We are saying - it is more than a notion. Notion implies kind of a vague, frivolous silliness on our part. And I know you don't mean it like that.

*sigh* idk if me pointing this stuff out helps any at all. Words that describe inner or emotional states have to be crystal-clear perfect for me is all. Notion as a word feels too vague and kind of invalidating.

i think you are right about the final product, but it frustrates me a little because it sounds like what you're saying is that even if the final product put forth by the Fe user in regards to Fi is not quite right, then we should just suck it up and not address how it's not right? but to me, the whole purpose of the forum is understanding one another, and i would want to know if you thought my take on Fe was not the way you felt about it. i imagine we're running into this on both the Ti/Te and Fi/Fe ends, because Te and Fe just want to be done with it and move on while Ti and Fi are like, wait, that's not right... admittedly i see some of the NTP conversations in the NT forum and am like god that discussion could go on forever, which is true, we could play a game of reductio ad nauseum with anything. i suppose perhaps that is how some NFP discussions feel to you guys, too, but to us this Fi nitty-gritty is what's really important, so we need to get it just right, because if we don't, then we can't proceed correctly...

the other feeling i get, is that there is a latent sense from some FJs and TPs that Fi is a rather useless function. it's subjective and personal, so how can it be fairly applied to anything? the other functions all have some grounding in the external, but Fi is completely internal. and that sense of uselessness is really annoying. so there's also a feeling, at least on my personal part, of needing to show how Fi is a valuable function, both because i need to prove it to myself for the sake of my own self-worth and because i need to prove it for everyone who relies on Fi as a function. there is this driving sense of needing to prove, we are not worthless. and NFPs on the defense, because we have no inherent ability to block others out short of Te, must resort to lashing out to protect themselves - so some of the seeming attacks you may be feeling may very well be defense.

I can relate to this post.

-----

Anyhoo, I am sure if we were to meet IRL, these little differences between us, that sometimes seem so large in writing, would vanish amidst our collective desire to care about and understand each other.

<3 to all.